• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Gematsu, offering a translation of an interview from Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan published on Nikkei, has stated that the company is considering the merger and acquisition of game development companies.

According to Ryan, with companies such as Google entering the games industry, "content is becoming more important than ever before."

"Companies new to the games industry looking at the market with hope is something we definitely welcome," Ryan said. He emphasized, "Sony Interactive Entertainment has 25 years of experience in the games industry and has big assets."

Some more quotes translated from the original Japanese article:

The number of monthly users of the network service of the home-use game console "PlayStation (PS)" exceeds 94 million in March, and its brand recognition is also high. Has 13 game production companies such as Japan, Europe and the United States, many exclusive titles. "It will be difficult for new entrants to have such a production company or title," it emphasized its superiority.

In the past, every time we transitioned to a new game console, we have made a deficit with development costs. He said he could not say the figures for the next-generation aircraft and said, "The profit margin has steadily increased in the past few years, and I am optimistic that it will continue in the future."

In the industry, attention is focused on "cloud games" in which games can be played on smartphones and the like via the cloud. Sony has partnered with Microsoft Corp. in the cloud field, and explained that it will "combine with the transition to the cloud based on the next-generation device." On the other hand, "For example, there will be no complete transition to the cloud in 22 years after three years," saying that transition to the cloud takes time, and indicates that it will continue the home game console business.

Gematsu source: https://gematsu.com/2019/07/sony-interactive-entertainment-considering-game-company-acquisitions
Original Nikkei source: https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO46527930V20C19A6TJC000/

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
With their recent talks about MP content, i think they might be looking at Illfonic who is right now developing that Predator game.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
NBA fans talking about the free agency while console gamers have been dealing with it for the last year now.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
With their recent talks about MP content, i think they might be looking at Illfonic who is right now developing that Predator game.
Yeah, I think an MP developer is probably what they're looking for. I would also love them to grab a JRPG team, but those seem too small for a platform holder to care about (outside of something like Level-5, but I have no idea how that would work) :(

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
"He said he could not say the figures for the next-generation aircraft"

Best translation ever.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): System wars, attacking other users, history of similar infractions
Good to see Jim boy focussing on the good sides of gaming (home console, great games) instead of the cliche cloud nonsense the second place brigade are clinging to in the hopes of salvaging a new demographic

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I recall that Ryan commented with a similar answer on this a couple of months ago too so its clear that Sony are keeping their eye out.

Personally I think the PlayStation WWS is already pretty strong so unless there is a studio available which can offer something drastically different from what they have now an acquisition wont be necessary (Unless of course Sony are forced into an acquisition to retain the services of an essential Studio, ie Insomniac for future Spider-Man games).

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised by Insomniac joining Sony's 1st party. More than plausible given the record both companies have with each other and the success of Marvel's Spider-Man.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Realistically speaking.

Bohemia - Socom reboot.
Remedy - Uncharted spinoff.
CDPR - Cyberpunk rebranded to Killzone.
Crytek - MAG reboot.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Insomniac could be done, but they have also talked many times about how they are happy independent, so it's not 100% sure.

Bluepoint is way closer.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
You'd say CDPR is realistic?
CDPR is in the best place they've ever been, Cyberpunk is already a guaranteed 20M+ seller. If we are taking MS as an example of purchasing small/struggling studios then Remedy/Crytek(why tho) are possible. Super Massive and insomniac seem so obvious but that never happened either so we can't really know.

Please Sony, give us Until Dawn 2

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Realistically speaking.

Bohemia - Socom reboot.
Crytek - MAG reboot.

Yeah no way CDPR is realistic. It's a really huge company with backing from the polish state and and on top of that they own GOG one of the biggest Online distributors.
CDPR is on par with Rockstar in being a realistic purchase.

Karamina

Apr 10, 2018
Realistically speaking.

Bohemia - Socom reboot.
Crytek - MAG reboot.

compltely agree for Crytek, this studio is exacly what Sony love, they are Graphics monsters and they have very good game designers, otherwise, they are Europpean, since Quantic Dream leaved the PlayStation Familiy, Sony need more represenation in Euro (i think)

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I can see Bluepoint Games being acquired, but other studios like Insomniac have already talked about how they really appreciate their own independence and don't seek to be acquired anytime soon. I think studios like CDPR and Rockstar are definitely out of the realms of possibility, or at least believability.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Cant really think of anyone they would need:
Bluepoint is damn good studio to keep them remastering/remaking their classics (though I'm not sure if they would want to keep doing that forever).
Insomniac is a pretty obvious one but they like their independence (to be fair though, Double Fine was pretty adamant about their independence too).
Kojima is another one, but I'm confident he'll want to stay independent. Though if DS is a success, I'm sure he'll continue to play ball with Sony.
Supermassive and/or Housemarque are the ones I'm surprised haven't been acquired.
Quantic and RAD are the one's that got away.
I'm leggit surprised MS didn't get 4A Games, Remedy or even IO, so any of those are a possibility.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Aside Bluepoint, I also maybe see Falcom.
They said they want to go bigger with budget/engine, they really like Sony and Sony would finally have a dedicated good JRPG studio.

Falcom with proper money could do something magical, I think.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Good to see fanboys can come
Together on common agreement
Why are you trying to deflect after writing an embarrassing post like your last one? More people being able to experience console games is a bad thing for you?
If console games can be played on mobile or cheap pcs using the cloud then more power to them.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
compltely agree for Crytek, this studio is exacly what Sony love, they are Graphics monsters and they have very good game designers, otherwise, they are Europpean, since Quantic Dream leaved the PlayStation Familiy, Sony need more represenation in Euro (i think)
Crytek couldn't make a good game if their life depended on it. I really doubt that's the kind of studio Sony is looking for.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
This is where the difference between Sony and Ms acquisitions will become apparent.

As MS has always let their recently acquired developers continue to work on multiplatform games as well as continue to release games on PC, Sony will shut that shit down and make games exclusive to their platform.

A sad day is coming for fans.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017

Illfonic would be a good match, Sony would get a series of smaller budget online focussed games with potentially long life spans and Illfonic could get a seriously needed bit of WWS spit and polish and infrastructure support.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Sony needs to hurry before it's too late and Microsoft haven't bought
giphy.gif

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Snap up Team Cherry, since Microsoft will likely get Moon Studios and Cherry are the better of the two.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
As MS has always let their recently acquired developers continue to work on multiplatform games as well as continue to release games on PC, Sony will shut that shit down and make games exclusive to their platform.
Technically you can say MS studio games are exclusive to their platform too, as they own Windows.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see fanboys can come
Together on common agreement
You have no clue do you? You post something like that about the "other side" and then accuse posters of being fanboys? Sony are as keen on streaming as MS, any acquisition they make will look to bolster thier service, but you tried to make it something unique to MS as second place "brigade". This is the definition of console warring.

Last edited: