• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Spider-man studio. Poor Ratchet & Clank.

Congrats to everyone though. It was always a close relationship throughout the years so this makes a whole lot of sense.

I mean, it's possible due to the wide appeal of Spider-Man, but it doesn't seem like Sony's first party are beholden to continue a game series forever. I mean, they had Jak and Daxter, then Uncharted, now The Last of Us, all successful, they could have stayed with Jak, or Uncharted, but they didn't. The same is true for basically all their first party studios.

Now we'll ignore the part where Sony's closed 6 studios in the last decade or so.

I didn't ignore that fact, Sony also closes studios, Evolution RIP. :(

That being said, they don't seem to do all the other stuff that I listed, for the most part.

I mean frankly Sony has a lot more garbage attached to their name then MS Studios (XGS) does. Also isn't Turn 10 doing something not racing nor forza already.

Was it turn 10? I thought it was Playground making a Fable game?

Also, what garbage are you talking about?

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
finally the trinity is complete
naughtydog-insomniac.jpg

Sucker-Punch.png

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
With one single stroke Sony undoes all the work and "hype" that MS had built with all those (some of them meaningless) studio acquisitions. Writing was on the wall after Spider-Man became such a blockbuster but now they have another million seller and more important yet another system seller.

How does it "undo" anything and why were they "meaningless"?

Microsoft acquired some top tier talent. They now have a balanced studio roster that will bring both AAA blockbusters and AA "originals" to Game Pass. They've set themselves up quite well for the next generation.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
That could happen with or without the studio being acquired. Are independent studios impervious to becoming a shadow of their former selves and closing?

What the hell? I simply said I hope they dont end up like Psygnosis / Studio Liverpool. We don't need a deep dive analysis on the metrics of independent studios. Sony have bought & closed a fair amount of studios, after purchasing said studio it often seems like they put the shackles on them.

It's not hard to comprehend.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the hell? I simply said I hope they dont end up like Psygnosis / Studio Liverpool. We don't need a deep dive analysis on the metrics of independent studios. Sony have bought & closed a fair amount of studios, after purchasing said studio it often seems like they put the shackles on them.

Like how they've shackled Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch and Bend?

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Stoked for Insomniac. Don't think there is a better fit than these two.

Besides more Spider-Man, I definitely see them helping bolster PSVR's future next gen too.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good, big acquisition. Makes tons of sense, yet also feels a bit redundant like MS buying playground. Good to see another big studio added to Sony's roster though. More hype for next gen.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The narrative through all these years has never been tht Sony puts shackles on their devs quite the opposite thy let them create their vision and give them freedom. So much so Microsofts talking points this year have mimicked Sony's to a T making comments such as allowing devs to realize their vision when if anything thy shackled them to make bs kinect games and mediocre bs.

In the end this is a business if you keep flopping your company will get shut down. This isn't charity.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saw the thread title and was blown away. Was really sure that Insomniac was going to stay independent.

Sony must've offered a fuckton of money.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I hardly play console games anymore, I'm happy to hear Insomniac is finally home with Sony. I had some amazing times from Spyro, to Ratchet games, Resistances, and Spider-Man.

Hey Insomniac, get Sony to adopt your Skill Point trophy/reward/challenge system. Best in class.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
How does it "undo" anything and why were they "meaningless"?

Microsoft acquired some top tier talent. They now have a balanced studio roster that will bring both AAA blockbusters and AA "originals" to Game Pass. They've set themselves up quite well for the next generation.

Well you gotta admit practically none of the MS acquired studio's is in the same league as Insomniac (and Naughty Dog, and Guerilla, and SSM). In my opinion this single acquisition blows all the recent MS acquisitions out of the water.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that really shocking? Not that I could've predicted this but this would be the studio they would buy if they were shopping for studios.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
This news is huge, but not surprising seeing thst Insomniac worked very closely with Sony over the decades depite being independent. It's like the equivalent of Nintendo buying Game Freak or HAL.

The most surprising thing is that the acquisition didn't happen during the late PS2-early PS3 era.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
What are the odds that Insomniac had an internal understanding with Sony that if and when other entities would make an offer to Insomniac for acquisition, that they would reach out to Sony and give them the opportunity to make the first move (should Insomniac's finances and future plans required it to be purchased by a bigger corp)?

And thus, Sony only bought Insomniac because they were made an offer from elsewhere and consequently the time hath come to decide.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
They were already mostly doing exclusive games for Sony so this won't change much. Same with Playground games and MS. As far as Sunset Overdrive, we might see it again on Sony's console in some future. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.