• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Good for Sony and Insomniac. Sony won't kill their creative ability.

I bet it cost them a good chunk of money being that they had branched out and grown.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Or, that maybe people are still hesitant about MS as a publisher?

They screwed over the developers for the Phantom Dust reboot, as well as SWERY with D4.

They abandoned a lot of developers to help pay for Kinect marketing (Aces, Lionhead)

They pushed for everything to be GaS - Fable Legends, Halo series, Forza, etc,

Under their care, a beloved studio floudnered, and made basically nothing worthy of note for like 20 years (Rare)

They shut down Ensemble because they were "the RTS studio", and that wasn't the direction they wanted to go, despite not letting Ensemble work on anything but RTSes (They had pitches for everything from racing to MMOs)

They have studios that exist to to never work on new IPs, just like EA's sport studios (343i, The Coatillion, Mojang, Turn 10, Undead Labs)

They basically have an almost EA track level with studios. When a studio gets bought by MS, I generally consider them to have an expiration date, unless they work on one series for the rest of their time. So basically, I just don't trust MS as a publisher. While Phil seems to be saying the right things, it'll be a while until we see results, and if he retires, or otherwise leaves, it could mean a huge disaster, since it seems like he is the only one pushing for things to not be as horrible.

Yes I'll admit Xbox/Microsoft hasn't done well in the past. I could see why people might be worried. But now that they place more importance on Xbox Live accounts and GamePass I think things will be much better. They know they can't run a subscription service on multiplayer GaaS type games alone.

Though I wouldn't blame Rare's problems on Microsoft alone. Since they joined Microsoft they did release another Conker, Banjo, etc. Them sucking had nothing to do with Microsoft. And their refusal to do sequels and constantly try out new genres has been Rare's big thing since long before Microsoft joined the video game market.

Also they haven't just floundered. Viva Piñata was a huge success for them. So is Sea of Thieves. Not that I care about a pirate GaaS.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Spider-man studio. Poor Ratchet & Clank.

Congrats to everyone though. It was always a close relationship throughout the years so this makes a whole lot of sense.

Insomniac will continue to make additional projects outside of Spider-Man. They're not going to turn their satellite studio in Durham into a secondary resource factory for Spider-Man only. Honestly, I think the more likely scenario is that their Durham studio will make some flagship PSVR / PSVR2 titles...like Ratchet & Clank (ala Astro Bot).

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It's like when that couple that have been together for 10 years finally gets married. Not surprising, and way overdue.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well you gotta admit practically none of the MS acquired studio's is in the same league as Insomniac (and Naughty Dog, and Guerilla, and SSM). In my opinion this single acquisition blows all the recent MS acquisitions out of the water.
That's heavily reductive. What about Obsidian and Inxile?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised Sony is bothering. Insomniac doesn't own any ips and preferred to make games for Sony already. They're just buying a building. I guess they were worried about MS buying them?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's crazy. Big get for Sony.

For people asking why it's surprising, since Insomniac has been making Sony exclusive games for so long, that's WHY it's surprising. They've gone this long and remained independent.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Insominac went from exclusive to multiplat to exclusive to the competition to pc back to exclusive and now fully exclusive fp studios. Next year they will announce they bought them selves and are now Switch exclusive.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Well you gotta admit practically none of the MS acquired studio's is in the same league as Insomniac (and Naughty Dog, and Guerilla, and SSM). In my opinion this single acquisition blows all the recent MS acquisitions out of the water.

Well they bought a studio that was basically just making exclusives for them already. This is most similar to Microsoft buying playground games. It seems unlikely that this will result in more PlayStation games from Insomniac.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Guys this can't be true, I have it on good authority they want to stay independent.

Congrats Sony and Insomniac there is no better match.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
This is HUGE. How many teams Insomniac has? 3 full AAA teams? This opens so many possibilities for first party AAA games.

Remedy and Bluepoint next please.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm surprised Sony is bothering. Insomniac doesn't own any ips and preferred to make games for Sony already. They're just buying a building. I guess they were worried about MS buying them?

Is this a serious post?

This is HUGE. How many teams Insomniac has? 3 full AAA teams? This opens so many possibilities for first party AAA games.

Remedy and Bluepoint next please.

They don't really have "3 AAA" teams. They have two studios, and those studios juggle projects fluidly. Most of the NC Studio is working on VR titles and has been for some time. The Burbank Studio has historically juggled multiple projects, but it isn't necessarily segmented into teams. Usually they have the majority of their studio working on whatever their current production is, with a smaller "team" working on whatever the next title will be in pre-production (prototyping, concepts, etc).

I'm guessing that once NC finishes Stormland, they'll work on a PSVR title, and Burbank will work on Spider-Man at full steam, with a smaller team either working pre-production for a separate project, or something working with the NC studio.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Yes I'll admit Xbox/Microsoft hasn't done well in the past. I could see why people might be worried. But now that they place more importance on Xbox Live accounts and GamePass I think things will be much better. They know they can't run a subscription service on multiplayer GaaS type games alone.

Though I wouldn't blame Rare's problems on Microsoft alone. Since they joined Microsoft they did release another Conker, Banjo, etc. Them sucking had nothing to do with Microsoft. And their refusal to do sequels and constantly try out new genres has been Rare's big thing since long before Microsoft joined the video game market.

Also they haven't just floundered. Viva Piñata was a huge success for them. So is Sea of Thieves. Not that I care about a pirate GaaS.

I agree that as long as they are focused on XBL and Gamepass, we'll see less terrible publisher things from them. I just hope that the people championing such things don't leave the company or anything. :/

I don't fully blame MS, Rare is also totally to blame. That being said, MS is Rare's boss. I feel like they could have done better to help them make things that were more interesting. You don't have to be micromanaging a developer, but I think it's also important to help steer them in a direction if things aren't working out. Otherwise you get stuff like Mass Effect Andromeda or Anthem.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Damn it makes sense but I'm sad we probably won't ever get more sunset overdrive. Also I guess that means no more PCVR projects, that disappoints me personally but hopefully they make some great VR games still.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't even own an Xbox. My only console is a Switch. It's just funny to see the different tones in the studio buy out threads.

When Microsoft bought Double Fine and Obsidian you had people complaining in the threads about these companies becoming Xbox exclusive. But here it's nothing but cheering.

And conversely you didn't see anyone complaining about Playground games being acquired by Microsoft. So you were in that thread criticizing the "cheerleading" too, right?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is pretty damn big, yeah. Hope we get to see more Spiderman and less Ratchet and Clank, at least if they still try to ship that with movies that ruin the characters.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Exciting but imo not that surprising news. :)
Can't wait to see what Insomniac is able to deliver with Sony's full power of support.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Holy fuck. Even with creating games primarily for Playstation, I wouldn't think Insomniac would ever be acquired by Sony or other studios.
I kinda hoped they would stay that way, especially with the success of Spider-Man probably keeping them afloat. But since I tend to go with Playstation anyways, it isn't that big of a deal for me.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good get, these guys can work in every game genre. Don't forget Resistance FOM multiplayer, top notch stuff right there.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing people don't give credit to is Sony's backing. Naughty dog is a lot different than they would be if they weren't purchased by Sony. It's one thing to get funding from Sony as a 2nd party Dev, another to be part of 1st party. Insomniac can focus exclusively on Sony hardware and get additional funding and support to grow.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Geez. That's one way to drop the news. Spider-man 2 is going to single-handedly sell me a PS5. Well... that and Horizon 2. And PSVR2. And PS4 BC. Okay, I retract my single-handed statement, but it certainly helps.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Modwhining.
That's a studio that perfectly fits in Sonys portfolio. The Sony exclusive games are by far the best insomniac game

OMG. Microsoft, look how is done!
God, the mods really need to pull the sticks out of their ass. Is it really necessary to ban people for harmless posts like this? No fun allowed at this place...

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see if Sony will try to release Sunset Overdrive on PS4 now that they own it. Maybe they could put it on PS Now?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
That's heavily reductive. What about Obsidian and Inxile?

Never even played a single game from both of them, to be honest. Their track record is not really impressive in my opinion, especially their more recent projects. These studio's are also not super well known (yeah here they are) or famous. Sure, Pillars, Fallout NV and KOTOR apparently are good, but for the rest?

And apart from Wasteland I don't even know a single game from the Inxile portfolio. And I'm someone that reads about gaming a lot. That'sgotta say something, perhaps about me.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's like when that couple that have been together for 10 years finally gets married. Not surprising, and way overdue.
"We need to see other people..." stage included.
91BwhtVtWyL._SY445_.jpg

(It's a good game. Wish it sold better).

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
After Spiderman the writing was on the wall for this.

Insomniac is clearly a god-tier studio and I keep saying it and (after Far from Home) I'll keep saying it forever, that Spiderman PS4 was a better Spiderman movie than every MCU Spiderman film put together.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Their best games are the ones with Sony backing them, plus the long ass history they've had. Makes sense.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First reaction: WHAT OH MY GOD.

Settling down now, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. I always thought that Sony and Insomniac were practically joined at the hip, even though they were separate companies, like Pixar with Disney before their buyout.

Im curious to see how this will affect their games going forward. If at all really.

Either way, here's to more awesome experiences from these guys in the future. Love Spider Man and would love to see a follow up.

Also excited to see what original stuff they can whip up.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Sony but it doesn't really change much considering most of their games have been Sony games anyways... At least the world got sunset overdrive first.

Status
Not open for further replies.