• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joshy

Chicken Chaser
Jan 24, 2018
England
Soho is a district of London. Team Soho took their name from the place and haven't existed for 18 years.
Yeah, but seeing as Team Soho were merged into London Studio, it's definitely possible it could be a reference.
Also, it's interesting to note that the Team Soho branding was present on The Getaway: Black Monday, even though the game was released 2 years after they were merged into London Studio, it may make a return in some form if The Getaway does indeed come back.

Aug 9, 2018
ruby_soho_new_240x.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Sony Bend said they were upset that their build a brand new engine from the ground up fro vita and were only used for 2 games. It was very time consuming, and took a lot of effort. Having them using UE4 probably also help with UE4 ps4 optimization, whatever they learn or new tricks they discovered will be added back into the engine for other games.
I was more thinking about the Decima engine as an alternative to UE4, as it's geared towards open world development and is apparently flexible enough to be used by both Guerrilla Games and Kojima Productions.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I was more thinking about the Decima engine as an alternative to UE4, as it's geared towards open world development and is apparently flexible enough to be used by both Guerrilla Games and Kojima Productions.

Their 1st party developer probably contributed to ps4 UE4 development is probably one of the reason. Similar to gears 4 and 5 with UE4.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
New getaway like gangs of London pls. Or even a 3rd person action game like max pay be would be nice

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
With Europe running a lot of things Playstation, I wouldn't be surprised about a new getaway game or a game inspired by it. Seems like an easy way to have a open world modern day title while letting it keep its own spin

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really disliked The Getaway when it came out, like The Order 1884 level disliked, which is a lot for me.

Yet hear I am reading this thinking "I could try a new Getaway now"

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Getaway could be a great open world crime drama like The Wire but in London. I dont think I cant stomach another Rockstar like crime story after GTA V

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I really disliked The Getaway when it came out, like The Order 1884 level disliked, which is a lot for me.

Yet hear I am reading this thinking "I could try a new Getaway now"
Probably because it wasn't a good game. Got shat on by the critics at the time. It had those early bullshots that got everyone hyped for PS2 launch and then after its endless delays and development hell, it had the unfortunate task of having to follow up after GTA3 which was in a whole different league.

I don't see why Sony would want to bring it back now, regardless the team that worked on it is no longer at Soho/London Studio.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is "Soho is a reference to Team Soho" just speculation? Or confirmed anywhere?

Team Soho haven't been a thing for 20 years and certainly haven't made anything to do with the Getaway for a long time. London Studio are still, AFAIK, based in Soho. I'd probably guess that the engine is named after the place that the studio is located rather than jump straight to 'omg it's the getaway'.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

Team Soho haven't been a thing for 20 years. Soho, on the other hand, is a place in London. Lots of things are named after Soho. It's like having 'Manhattan' in the name of something.
I wonder what the Manhattan Team is working on.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Could be fun to have a new Getaway. Just need to work to make the controls more fun.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
First thing I thought of when I saw Soho was Small Office Home Office (networks) which took me back to my Cisco certification studying days.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see it being The Getaway. Even if London Studio are making some open-world city game, it seems to make more sense to just make something new instead of a new game in that series. The last one came out 17 years ago. It's not like a SOCOM or Twisted Metal, where a new entry would mean something in terms of providing a unique experience.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
If there's a remake that I want, it's The Getaway.

Sony has so many amazing PS2 titles that need more love.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Team Soho haven't been a thing for 20 years and certainly haven't made anything to do with the Getaway for a long time. London Studio are still, AFAIK, based in Soho. I'd probably guess that the engine is named after the place that the studio is located rather than jump straight to 'omg it's the getaway'.

Yeah im thinking it's this. London Studio has been working with UE4 I believe, so it's possible they've been making their own engine, probably with a VR focus

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
theget38.jpg

I remember seeing this screenshot in magazines and thinking games will never look any better. Of course it was an absolute bullshot.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I would definitely buy a modern Getaway game, or any British gangster game. I've just got Blood and Truth, yet to play it, but it's next in line after Doom 3 VR.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK

Soho is reference to Team Soho, the british studio that created The Getaway.

Not sure this has anything to do with the original Team Soho which was shutdown nearly 20 years ago.
Soho is one of the central neighbours in London and where Sony Europe has its headquarter.
It's a very generic name.

That said, I'd be all in for a Getaway reboot.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Sony is now trademarking the Soho Engine in even more countries.

I know there's probably some benefits and familiarity in building your own engine and having it made for a specific purpose, but is there really any need to make another game engine rather than use one from another part of PS Studios, like for instance Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, Insomniac (the Spidey engine!), or even use Unreal Engine, given Sony has recently invested hundreds of millions more into Epic Games.

I'm definitely interested to see what they do with a Getaway game all these years later.

I would like there to be more games in the 'GTA-like' genre (does this particular sub-genre even have a name?!) but I found the original Getaway game to be pretty bad. It was ambitious and had some interesting ideas but wasn't very user-friendly (for example there's no map and you have to use the indicators to navigate -- however if these get smashed you're screwed for finding your way around!) and the whole thing felt quite clunky compared with GTA. That being said, if Sony is prepared for the massive expense to try again I would be very interested to see the results.

I feel like it'll be a VR project?

I think job ads for Sony London Studio have indicated that it won't be a VR game this time.

If there's a remake that I want, it's The Getaway.

Sony has so many amazing PS2 titles that need more love.

If we're doing a PS2 title wishlist, I'd probably hope for a new Drakan game. I adored The Ancients' Gates and it really didn't seem to be very successful sadly.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
maybe an engine tailor made for PSVR2 and VR in general ?

This is my guess as well.
Something akin to PhyreEngine that was created to help small developers/japanese developers to make PS3 games ( also multiplatforms important to say ) but this time for PSVR and VR in general.

I know there's probably some benefits and familiarity in building your own engine and having it made for a specific purpose, but is there really any need to make another game engine rather than use one from another part of PS Studios, like for instance Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, Insomniac (the Spidey engine!), or even use Unreal Engine, given Sony has recently invested hundreds of millions more into Epic Games.

It all comes down to their purpose on this.
PhyreEngine worked well for them and many partners even with Sony studios having their own engines and other commercial engines in the market.
If it´s something to make VR development easier/more accessible it´s more than welcome !