• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.gematsu.com

Sony Interactive Entertainment JAPAN Studio establishes External Development Department

Sony Interactive Entertainment JAPAN Studio has established an External Development Department and made various organizational changes to inaugurate the new fiscal year, Sony Interactive Entertainm…

There are quite a few additional changes to Japan Studio:
Organizational Changes as of April 1, 2020
  • External Development Department established.
  • Product Development Department renamed to Internal Development Department.
  • Studio Operations Department renamed to Finance & Administration Department.
  • Creative Product Services Department renamed to Creative Services Department.
  • Product Technology Department abolished.
  • Business Development Department abolished.
Personnel Changes as of April 1, 2020
  • Kazuo Kato appointed Internal Development Department Head, External Development Department Head, and Creative Services Department Head.
  • Naoaki Aoi appointed to the Finance & Administration Department.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I suppose this is going to be some sort of support studio for 3rd party exclusives? Kind of like Japan Studio as a whole helped development with Bloodborne? Hope this means several other collaborations with japanese devs are on their way.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
What does that mean ? How this is gonna affect the upcoming games from Japan Studios ?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Interested in seeing what could come out of this. Japan studios has a history of working with other developers to create exclusives. Would be interested in seeing what a dedicated department would do.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'm playing through Astrobot right now and it's absolutely genius like Miyamoto genius. I'm in awe of it. If this means Sony is adding more external teams to give them some more muscle it's their best decision yet

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I hold Japan Studio only in the highest regards, especially since Bloodborne and Astrobot.

I hope this leads to even greater projects down the road - exciting times ahead.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If this doesn't mean more collaboration with From, then what's the point?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting if this results in more original games from the Japan Studio main teams.
I'm not sure where you got that from.

TBH this is an interesting move but I doubt much will change from our point of view. Japan Studio always did external development, they just didn't really define it with its own division.

Were people laid off in the departments shut down?
Probably not. Japanese employment laws mean layoffs don't really happen there. That's why you hear stories of Konami forcing their devs to sit in empty rooms doing nothing, because they're trying to force them to quit.

Do they really need this if most Japanese games are being made for Sony's consoles anyways?
Wat.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Do we know what were the product technology department doing previously before getting shut down? is it just about making engines for JS games? maybe that means they are moving to UE4.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
yah..looks to be equiviliant to XDEV Europe and what Sony Santa Monica did for other smaller devs.

About that:

VSfS6LI.jpg

1fnoAMH.jpg

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
My favorite studio. Looking forward to seeing what they do with PS5 (and Siren).

Y'all think sight jacking will work in VR? Or will that be puke central? Maybe they'll use a second screen functionality and you gotta move the headset up to look at your TV where the sightjacking will be. Would make it tense, but it'll be a hassle and completely take you out of the experience.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

some of you guys seems to forget about THATGAMECOMPANY and other smaller sony published externally developed games during the PS3/early PS4 period and how those games spotted a SSM logo during startup. They stopped doing that for awhile and maybe this is to indicate they are getting back at it.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure Santa Monica external development projects were sold off to Annapurna but I could be wrong maybe they're still doing stuff.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
SSM established a External Development Department too?
I thought they stop doing that this gen after The Order 1886.

It wouldn't surprise me if they put External Development on the backburner after Internal-7 went under. Allowing them go go all hands on deck for GoW since the studio was shaky at that point. As Cyberia's post shows, it seems like they restarted their external development in 2018 after GoW shipped.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
It wouldn't surprise me if they put External Development on the backburner after Internal-7 went under. Allowing them go go all hands on deck for GoW since the studio was shaky at that point. As Cyberia's post shows, it seems like they restarted their external development in 2018 after GoW shipped.
Nice. Their work with Indie studios was the best last gen.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
As for why they're setting up a department when they were already doing it anyway -

Dedicated and focused priorities mean that money, time, attention - and most importantly employee's job performance ranking. =P

Is xdev the 3rd party moneyhat department? I thought resetera hated that :P

Games like Everybody's Golf/Bloodborne/SoTC Remake fall under external development.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
An XDEV/SSM for Japan, not a bad idea. They do need to cultivate talent over there and build up more games that can increase the userbase over there, given that it's fallen behind what it once was.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone keeps mentioning SMS while completely ignoring Sony's main external development division in the US at Sony San Mateo.

Okay. What games have they produced? I don't know anything about San Mateo, but I do know SMS featured heavily on some of my favourite games 6-8 years ago like Journey, The Unfinished Swan and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and I was disappointed when they closed down that department.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sony Japan output this gen was already amazing.
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush 2
Astro Bot and The PlayRoom
Knack 1 and 2
The Tomorrow Children
Everybody's Golf and the VR version
Déraciné
And Bloodborne I guess

So if next gen is better than this, that would be amazing.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay. What games have they produced? I don't know anything about San Mateo, but I do know SMS featured heavily on some of my favourite games 6-8 years ago like Journey, The Unfinished Swan and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and I was disappointed when they closed down that department.
Spider-Man, Concrete Genie, Farpoint, etc.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Is xdev the 3rd party moneyhat department? I thought resetera hated that :P

It's 'second party' development. When they contract games with external developers, assign them a producer or producers, coordinate for any resources or support the project needs etc.

So - for example - Quantic Dream's projects were managed by XDev. Media Molecule was until it was acquired. Tarsier did work under xdev. Etc.

The 3rd party moneyhats/'co-marketing' are another budget altogether.