• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, back in September 2017, Sony Interactive Entertainment, Shogakukan, and other partners, showed off a collaborative projec, known simply at the time, Gonjiro.

Well, the reaction to the character in the old thread for the conference was... Well, mixed to say the least, and it'll become clear why in just a moment:

DxRU23JU0AAWK-8.jpg

DxRU87LU0AAUT29.jpg

The original design depicted a character design which was very reminiscent of Black Face, a very racist caricature that dates back well over a century ago. Japan has, for the longest time, largely out of ignorance, use designs of these nature in various projects over the years. What also further didn't help the design is in the short shown off at the conference, he helps a guy struggling to win over a girl, due to his receding hairline, and Gonjiro as a result turns into... an afro.

Yeah...

So fast forward over a year and some months, it seems, I'd assume likely due to concerns internally and International market expansion of the property, Gonjiro has been somewhat retooled to be less offensive (though admittedly not perfect):

DxRVZRCVYAAjN4i.jpg

DxRVbQBVAAAdegS.jpg

DxRVdlbVYAAQ0Ea.jpg

The series is scheduled to air in April 2019 on TV Tokyo Network and affiliate partners, with the title of the series, Kedama no Gonjiro. Series currently has a Mobile tie-in game in development, called Kedama no Gonjiro: Fit and Run, and you can read more about it here. Staff, Voice Actors, and so on and so forth, haven't been announced, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's either OLM or Cloverworks/A-1 Pictures.

You read more on the ANN article.

Honestly, I'm kinda glad they realized the issues with the design, because that was... definitely... Yeah... As I said, it's not perfect, but color absolutely matters here, so someone definitely raised the issue, which I assume had to be on the International side of things (Maybe the main SIE branch in the US, perhaps?). Kinda reminds of the issue with Oilman in Mega Man Powered Up, which thankfully got altered.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Those old pics sure are something. Though the new color is a bit confusing. Is it supposed to be made of wool or meat? Because the new version looks like meatwad.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Should be clarified that it didn't take them until now to change the character design. They announced the change as far back as mid 2018 I believe.

Also there is already a game tie-in, it's a smartphone title called Kedama no Gonjiro: Fit and Run. It's playable at the World Hobby Fair where they announced the anime.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be clarified that it didn't take them until now to change the character design. They announced the change as far back as mid 2018 I believe.

Gotcha. I figured it didn't take that long.

Also there is already a game tie-in, it's a smartphone title called Kedama no Gonjiro: Fit and Run. It's playable at the World Hobby Fair where they announced the anime.

Oooh! I didn't know that. Thanks for the information! I'll update the top post.