• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason to when every game they release already comes to Sony platforms, often times as an exclusive?
This hasn't been true in a long time, PS1/PS2 Sony had Japanese devs in a chokehold. Now PC is one of the largest markets and Nintendo(depending on the console) are getting plenty of their own third party exclusives. It certainly wouldn't hurt to buy and grow more Japanese studios

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... Without a hint of sarcasm. The next time anyone pipes up with how bad for consumers MS buying WB would be. I shall refer them to this post.
To be fair, Sony doesn't have their own"warchest" meme that has spanned 3 generations. Not really comparable. Every generation people think Microsoft are gonna buy everything and everyone.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Come on Sony give these guys some cash

Nihon-Falcom.jpg

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Because they aren't exclusive anymore? Most Japanese games are on PC and/or Switch now. That argument used to work when Square got Final Fantasy as an exclusive in the PS1/PS2 days. It doesn't really apply anymore.

They have PLENTY of Western exclusives now. Their Japanese output is bleeding out.

It's not bleeding out if the games are still coming to their platform.

Jun 23, 2019
It's about acquiring existing 3rd party companies. It's totally comparable.

Yeah, but Capcom and Sega are small publishers that are about to go under so a big player like Sony making sure they keep the lights on would be good for them. Or at least that's what I heard when guys like Double Fine and Obsidian got acquired by MS. :P

Oct 28, 2017
I wish Sony would set up a first party studio dedicated to making extreme sports games. Something to rival tony hawk and SSX and the old ATV off-road fury games.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just buy Kadokawa. Not only gets FROM, but also a lot of anime/manga production and publishing, something that Sony has been doing moves lately.
Any Kadokawa buy would probably have to be spearheaded by SME given where those interests lie. I can't imagine Sony at large really being interested in a publishing company like this just to get From though. It'd be like someone buying Microsoft just to get Mojang, it makes no sense.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Worrisome. If they would release their games on PC I would be fine with any acquisition, but as of right now Sony acquiring studios only means me getting worse versions of games.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
The games aren't exclusive. Almost everything is on PC, Switch or Xbox now. The point is to have qualified and continuous exclusive support from Japanese studios.

Nah, not almost everything is on Xbox. Xbox is really only getting Japanese games from the largest publishers. Those aren't really acquisition targets anyway. Also, who cares if games are on PC?

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
You obviously never encountered Acquiescence before. This poster is the personification of sarcasm.
I hope so. Because from the sound of it, given the state of those companies and related IP, there's not much push back to say what an 'anti-consumer' act getting any of those would be.

The topic is just pipe dreams at the moment. So it was just an observation, so no point derailing. But jeez...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, not almost everything is on Xbox. Xbox is really only getting Japanese games from the largest publishers. Those aren't really acquisition targets anyway. Also, who cares if games are on PC?

The big games are on Xbox and the smaller ones are on Switch. And everything is on PC. These games aren't exclusive anymore. They lost that advantage a while ago.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard for me to think what studious that are working with Sony that aren't owned by them. Insomniac was the last big one. I could see them getting blue point games.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate on this?
Their games have a habit of looking samey and have low quality graphics. Even after moving to stronger consoles, their newest entry in their flagship series still looks like a vita game. So even if they had a bigger budget, it's unlikely that their games would actually improve

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Some studios doesn't want to get bought and would like to stay independent even if they have close relationship with Sony.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they acquire Housemarque so that they can make a sequel/spritual successor of Alienation with more guns, classes, enemies and environments. As far as I've read, housemarque are not very stable financially speaking and they already have an audience on PlayStation so it's a win-win.
I think Housemarque is highly likely. Beyond that though, I'm not sure I could guess
From your mouth to god's ears.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
I don't get how people jump to Sony buying publishers like Sega and Konami. People really underestimate the value of companies especially ones like Sega Konami and SE who all do stuff outside of game development.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I mean, yeah, they aren't gonna not continue to grow. So far they haven't really stepped out of their pattern, and honestly it's worked great for them. They tend to acquire studios they have a history of working closely with. Their first party isn't suffering right now, their output is good so they're not in the position Microsoft was in where they kind of needed that blitz of acquisitions to inject new talent and IP. They'll probably continue to do what they've been doing and slap a ring on a studio they've been close with every handful of years.

I could see them folding in Bluepoint and allowing them to take on their own IP. They haven't really had the chance to do their own thing yet, but they have a great track record with their Playstation remasters and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had the faith in them to set them off on creating something new. Quantic Dream, Supermassive, maybe Kojima? They're all just sort of starting to go multi-platform so maybe they wouldn't be interested, but also Sony is starting to port to PC more and more, so who knows. Longshot Remedy? They don't really have a history with Sony, but they could be starting one soon, I think Guerrilla helped with some development of Control, so maybe that's just the start of them getting closer to Sony.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the point of acquiring studios that don't own IP or have lots of experience with PlayStation IP. You're really just buying buildings and bodies and people leave and move around a lot. If Sony needs capacity, they should expand their existing studios. If they think buying someone gives them an edge in an area where they need expertise, they could also just hire team leads away. I think acquisitions come with a lot of risk. One advantage is that a studio acquisition is instant, though it can quickly fall apart. So they would need to balance that. If this is a need for capacity ASAP, I would have hoped they'd do a better job planning.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeay.... more studios being acquired by both Sony and Microsoft. I don't like this trend at all.

Look, if a studio may close and there is no one else the developers can turn to and Sony and MS is the only choice than it's better than the developers losing their jobs.

We have seen the consolidation in the movie/tv industry. Acquiring talent is the best way to position yourself for the future.