• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-interactive-launches-unit-adapt-games-film-tv-1211850
PlayStation Productions, headed by Asad Qizilbash and overseen by SIE chairman of Worldwide Studios Shawn Layden, will develop and produce projects based on the company's catalog of more than 100 games
Sony Interactive Entertainment has launched PlayStation Productions, a production studio that will mine the company's extensive catalogue of video game titles for film and television. The new enterprise, headed by Asad Qizilbash and overseen by chairman of Worldwide Studios at SIE, Shawn Layden, is already in production on its first slate of projects and has set up shop on the Sony Studios lot in Culver City.
"For the last year and half, two years, we've spent time trying to understand the industry, talking to writers, directors, producers," says Qizilbash. "We talked to [film producer] Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Kevin Feige to really get an understanding of the industry."
"We looked at what Marvel has done in taking the world of comic books and making it into the biggest thing in the film world," says Layden. "It would be a lofty goal to say we're following in their footsteps, but certainly we're taking inspiration from that."

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
FINALLY !

Can't trust Sony Pictures execs, I said it would great to see SIE take care of PlayStation IP into movies/series

Jan 3, 2019
UrDGQ9B.png

I thought Ratchet was enough.

Knack Cinematic Universe

So this is under SIE and not Sony Pictures? I wonder if Tom Rothman will still have veto power over anything that they try to get off the ground, since I can't imagine them putting out movies under any other studio, and he already killed the adaptation of TLoU stone dead.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense - not only because of Sony's film/tv business, but if successful, it could be a useful tool for cutting game deals with game makers who have ambitions on creating cross media IP. If Sony can be a good partner on both fronts, it would be a nice advantage for them in attracting content and deals. 'Come make your game for us, and hey, we'll help you make a movie/show with it too'. It was the promise of internal Sony collaboration that hasn't happened to date, but maybe this will be the start.

But it would be key for them to develop a quality reputation, so there is a cachet for creators going to Sony, and knowing their reputation and property is in good hands.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Its about time, even MS and Nintendo have made a stronger and more successful progression to get their game series in TV and movies. This could be so good if done with the proper care

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Games to movies why do we keep doing this the results are hardly ever worthwhile and the studios know they're not going to put enough time and talent into these things to make it worth it either

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This sounds like a retooled "Playstation Originals" (company that produces original tv series and movies if you are curious). Hopefully this would work better after the Ratchet and Clank movie bombed.

I would love to see them do animated LocoRoco shorts or a TV series, it has so much potential.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i am hopeful considering this seems to be done through SIE.

what are we betting kojima will be one of the first to make movies/series with this?

Wait I thought this already existed when they made the Ratchet movie?
There was a label called Playstation Originals that acted as a production company, but I don't think it amounted to anything other than reminding viewers that it's a Sony IP, as Sony didn't even distribute the film.

Amusingly, the R&C movie was the last thing that Gramercy put out before being dissolved and rolled back into Focus Features.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The potential is most definitely there, a lot of their games would transfer well into live action and animated films.

The issue is quality.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hope they really think about TV more than movies. Let your IP breathe with a lower expectations on how good it will be. A bloodborne mini series sounds like a right move to make to me. Not much like that in the tv space anyway.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sly the animated series.
Sly and friends commit different robberies every episode.

To go with this, give me Sly 5 please.

Oct 25, 2017
"Just when you were about to lose hope of the franchise ever returning...."
"Syphon Filter 4: the (Netflix)(Prime)(Hulu) original "

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit

My dream is a God of War TV show with the production values of Game of Thrones

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can make good TV series with Uncharted etc. but God of War, Horizon etc. need a big movie budget to do them justice.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Ratchet and Clank bombed the way it did I didn't expect this. Good luck to them, I hope what happened to Square Soft doesn't happen to SIE.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I'd definitely rather they do it themselves than throw it up the pipe, or outsource their IP.

Also glad they won't be doing retellings of the games.

Hope they really think about TV more than movies. Let your IP breathe with a lower expectations on how good it will be. A bloodborne mini series sounds like a right move to make to me. Not much like that in the tv space anyway.
I feel like Bloodborne would make for a great anthology series, since you can cover the entirety of the lore and get around the pesky issue of there not being a protagonist in a traditional sense. One episode about the battle between the Executioners and the Vilebloods, another about the tragic legacy of the Vicars, everything to do with Byrgenwerth, etc. There's a ton of material there.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dude, Bloodborne could be such an awesome TV series

And different than anything else out there