• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, now I can beg for a Colony Wars movie too!

Hope they can manage to make some solid Game based movies, would be cool, not gonna hold my breath though, lol.

Edit: Kojima will make a Death Stranding movie, mmw!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
That's rather pointedly specific. I kinda wonder how that would play, though: start back in Greece and then eventually work their way to where we're at now, or have it start in Midgard and fill out the backstory with flashbacks to his previous exploits?

I guess there could be some stuff that he might not think they'll cover in games, so they can instead do that through the TV show.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
They wasted decades of time with their gaming adaptation. They have a gaming division, they have a hollywood studio, but they did almost nothing with it.

But better late than never.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
That's rather pointedly specific. I kinda wonder how that would play, though: start back in Greece and then eventually work their way to where we're at now, or have it start in Midgard and fill out the backstory with flashbacks to his previous exploits?
Most definitely in spartan I could see the 1st season being more of just him as a regular soldier etc

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they seriously consider animation when looking at certain I.P. Like something like Bloodborne as a very stylized animation would be potentially amazing, but as a live action it'd probably look awful or be a money black hole.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
They have so many ips that can work as shows that it can hopefully be a good thing, just need some Kevin Feige type dude to manage this stuff.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The question I have tho, is there any project actually already running? I don't expect them to tell us which but I'd like to know if I can expect a product in about two years or I'll have to wait five years for this to pay off in any sort of way.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
More like a silly move that would limit the audience that content could reach.

It would not be much different from making deals with Netflix, Disney and Hulu to be honest. A new exclusive video service for this, being accessible by PS+ users would be very interesting for them.

Maybe they could even create a new PS+ tier just for this, costing $5 to $7 a month.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I get the feeling that videogame movies are eventually gonna usurp the blockbuster movie throne from comics. Won't happen overnight, of course... but all reigns come to an end, and will the MCU ever have another Endgame moment? It might take over decade for videogame movies to overtake comic book movies, but I think it's bound to happen.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling that videogame movies are eventually gonna usurp the blockbuster movie throne from comics. Won't happen overnight, of course... but all reigns come to an end, and will the MCU ever have another Endgame moment? It might take over decade for videogame movies to overtake comic book movies, but I think it's bound to happen.

Avengers vs X-Men
Secret Wars
House of M
Etc etc etc

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
I feel confident in stating that we won't have to worry about Sony causing any kind of confusion in the killer clown game with a Twisted Metal anything.

Sorry, Twisted Metal fans...
Who knows. They could make it a series that builds up the characters and the actual car combat event to be a movie, since everyone will die and only 1 person gets the wish.

Cyclopsfire21

Oct 25, 2017
I'd make the Show focus solely on Kratos, from to childhood to God of war 1. That would help prevent too many dues ex machina moments where making the show good collides with the actual story.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
GoW tv series following the norse gods trying to prevent ragnarok in the 3 years of fimbulwinter post the ending of GoW 2018 and leading up to the sequel to be announced in the end of the show.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember a leak where they were trying to adapt Nintendo is. Hopefully they go through.

But my be is that this division will be dead in 3 years.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be happy already if they'd manage to make a single movie as good as say Guardians of the Galaxy in the next decade...

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
If done right, some IP could translate in interesting products.
But everything must be handled with care...
Film, Anime, TV series, depending on the original material.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would not be much different from making deals with Netflix, Disney and Hulu to be honest. A new exclusive video service for this, being accessible by PS+ users would be very interesting for them.

Maybe they could even create a new PS+ tier just for this, costing $5 to $7 a month.

The big difference being that doing a deal with Netflix, Disney etc. would let them reach a big new audience that may not be with Playstation.

Limiting your content to PSN means that you are aiming at existing PS users for the most part.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely better to have the game people be more hands on

I dunno why it sounds like they're following the MCU though when Sony's IP barely connect, if at all. Unless they really do make an All Stars Battle Royale movie which would be a helluva thing.

My personal guess is they'll do something for God of War, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Infamous, and something set in the Last of Us universe that isn't an adaptation. Dunno if that already existing Uncharted series entered development hell, but I'd be all for the Young Nathan Drake Adventures.

I think they might work with anime studios for the Japanese stuff, with PlayStation Productions being the distributor. Give me an Everybody's Golf sports anime, those two cats starring in a video game comedy thing like Pop Team Epic... Release animated shorts based on LocoRoco, Patapon, and Parappa.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they can do for video game movies what Marvel Studios has done for superhero movies. I'm excited.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Definitely better to have the game people be more hands on

I dunno why it sounds like they're following the MCU though when Sony's IP barely connect, if at all. Unless they really do make an All Stars Battle Royale movie which would be a helluva thing.

My personal guess is they'll do something for God of War, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Infamous, and something set in the Last of Us universe that isn't an adaptation.

I think they might work with anime studios for the Japanese stuff, with PlayStation Productions being the distributor.
I think its more like after licensing the ip for xmen and spiderman movie to fox and sony, they decided to open a marvel studio to make the movies themselves.

So now SIE will try to dl the same thing, they will make their own movie instead of licensing it to other studio

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess all publishers keep having this dream to have their franchises break into movie and TV. Wonder if it will ever really work out

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think its more like after licensing the ip for xmen and spiderman movie to fox and sony, they decided to open a marvel studio to make the movies themselves.

So now SIE will try to dl the same thing, they will make their own movie instead of licensing it to other studio

Ohh yeah that makes more sense, hope it works out just as well for them.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017

They actually tried making original programming for the PSN Video store back in 2015 with the Powers series. It didn't seem to make much of an impact, and was cancelled after the second season.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Remember when Sony Pictures had so little faith in the God Of War franchise (and PS properties in general) that they sold the film rights off to Universal with Brett Ratner attached to direct?

Meeeeeemba?!

Unless this outfit is free to cut development deals with other studios (which they won't) I'm not sure I see how this is going to make any difference. It might work but the idea that they'll essentially be a Marvel style production silo within SPE (self contained development etc) seems a good idea on paper but the actuality might be a different proposition entirely.

Could this be Sony preparing for a future where there is some 'conscious uncoupling' between it and it's film studio division and they want to retain control of the valuable PS IPs?