• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Macadinho94

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Since we're getting an Uncharted movie, we need at least an update on that TLOU movie that got announced at Comic Con a few years back

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know... Honestly, if we could get all parties to agree, both on the American and Japanese side, I'd totally be down for a Ratchet & Clank Anime TV series, produced by OLM if I had to choose. I mean, right now, Shogakukan and OLM are working with SIE on another project, Gonjiro (you can see the TV Tokyo website here), so it's not entirely that farfetched. Shogakukan helped with promotional stuff with Ratchet & Clank in Japan (and Jak & Daxter during the earlier years), plus they also serialized a manga that ran for a bit in their Coro Coro Comics magazines, so I could see them being a potential collaborator on such a project.

I just know the Ratchet & Clank branding around the world, Japan included, has been probably at it's lowest currently, so I wonder if that could be a barrier or not...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If they spend a majority of time at the PS5 reveal talking about TV or movies and barely mentioning games, then they should rightfully have the same shit thrown in their direction. But Sony have never been in the same half-baked first-party situation MS we're in 2013 so the context is entirely different.
I was wondering what took so long before the comparisons to 2013 started, lol.

Context is usually thrown away.

Ppl conveniently forget that Sony:

Launched PSVue after 2013.
Movies and TV shows are part of their company.

And it was execution, messaging that hurt MS. For the entire reveal.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Love this idea. It also plays into my thinking that Sony is planning bigger moves by incorporating all of their media arms into a singular online streaming service. This, plus their deal with Microsoft to access Azure would be moves towards having more content and a large distribution platform for an online streaming service. Then toss on their massive back catalog of TV shows and movies, music and maybe even incorporate PS Vue, then top it all off with PlayStation content and you've got one helluva package.

With everyone and their mother creating their own online platform for their own content I can't see sony sitting back and not jumping in as well since they have so much content under their umbrella.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-interactive-launches-unit-adapt-games-film-tv-1211850

"We looked at what Marvel has done in taking the world of comic books and making it into the biggest thing in the film world," says Layden. "It would be a lofty goal to say we're following in their footsteps, but certainly we're taking inspiration from that."

I really liked where they are taking inspiration from.

I feel like Bloodborne would make for a great anthology series, since you can cover the entirety of the lore and get around the pesky issue of there not being a protagonist in a traditional sense. One episode about the battle between the Executioners and the Vilebloods, another about the tragic legacy of the Vicars, everything to do with Byrgenwerth, etc. There's a ton of material there.

They could also make a story from the point of view of one of the citizens starting before the whole city falls and ending once that person goes insane and becomes a beast. They could also make one about from the point of view of someone that the church is going to make experiments on to make it into a Church Giant.

Since we're getting an Uncharted movie, we need at least an update on that TLOU movie that got announced at Comic Con a few years back
TLOU has been dead in the water for a couple of years, due to Druckmann not being happy with his own script and the Tom Rothman era of Sony Pictures beginning in earnest around the same time. They may try again after Naughty Dog finishes TLOU2, but it's going to be a while yet before we see any movement on it again.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU has been dead in the water for a couple of years, due to Druckmann not being happy with his own script and the Tom Rothman era of Sony Pictures beginning in earnest around the same time. They may try again after Naughty Dog finishes TLOU2, but it's going to be a while yet before we see any movement on it again.

As I brought up earlier, one conclusion Neil came to is that the movie/TV show about TLoU can't be about Ellie and Joel. I think that's a good thing. There are plenty of stories that could be told without having to piggyback off those characters.

Hoping for a Gran Turismo movie.

There was actually one in development years ago. It was supposed to be about the first GT Academy winner (Lucas Ordonez).

As I brought up earlier, one conclusion Neil came to is that the movie/TV show about TLoU can't be about Ellie and Joel. I think that's a good thing. There are plenty of stories that could be told without having to piggyback off those characters.
Yeah, that was the big hangup he had for a while and I think it's the right choice to make. However, I don't doubt that the suits at Sony Pictures see it differently and that may very well be another roadblock.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was the big hangup he had for a while and I think it's the right choice to make. However, I don't doubt that the suits at Sony Pictures see it differently and that may very well be another roadblock.

That's why it's a good thing that SIE people are leading up this studio. I doubt that they're going to push for anything that the developers wouldn't be comfortable with. It's kinda smart all-round. Because if they did do a movie/TV show with Ellie and Joel and it was bad, could you imagine the backlash against this studio?

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I'm interested and I hope it works out.
My personal opinion of adapting most video games to video format is that it's really hard to do due to the way they approach storytelling.
Game series like Mortal Kombat or Pokemon are easier to adapt to video because they're more straightforward stories, while something like Bloodborne or Bioshock would be harder to do since they rely heavily on the player interacting with the environment in order to tell their stories.
However, I hope they can prove me wrong. I would love to see those stories be told on the big (or small) screen.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Sly Cooper TV series coming this year is going to be considered a part of this initiative.

bandeau_slycooper.jpg

I was wondering what took so long before the comparisons to 2013 started, lol.

Context is usually thrown away.
Right? It leaves me shaking my head how people want to raise these false equivalences about Sony now vs Xbox in 2013. We've got people going off in the other thread acting vindicated about the messaging behind the "power of the cloud" just because Sony is exploring a partnership using Microsoft Azure on grounds noone fully understands yet. Like you said, context has been completely glazed over. If Sony does something embarrassing and detrimental to their actual gaming division in 2020 then yeah, raise it, but these comparisons and conclusions being made are garbage.

Last edited:

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
This actually excites me. PLEASE give me a movie or series set in the HZD universe, it's just too amazing and beautiful not to.
Horizon would make a perfect movie/tv series.

YES.
Operation Enduring Victory
and everything leading up to
Project Zero Dawn
would make for an incredible movie.

Also, the second I saw this artwork I immediately wanted a Dragon Prince-esque animated series based on a group of Carja hunters of the lodge, or something like that:

hzd-key-art-landscape.jpg

There's just so much that could be done in this universe.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Which Playstation franchise can make an excellent tv show, an animated series or a movie?

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
PCU: PlayStation Cinematic Universe

HZD could work, focus mainly on the tribal stuff and have the occasional mech battle.

Last edited:

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ken Kutaragi shows up during the post credits of the Uncharted movie

"Drake. i'm here to talk about the All Stars Battle Royal initiative"

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I really wanna now how Sony is gonna deliver these movies and series. I would assume that movies will just play in theaters followed by a DVD and Blu-Ray release, but what about the series? Will they sell them to networks or should we expect a Netflix/Disney+ like service? Or will they appear on Netflix?
YES.
Project Zero Dawn

Also, the second I saw this artwork I immediately wanted a Dragon Prince-esque animated series based on a group of Carja hunters of the lodge, or something like that:

Also just a game set during the times of HZD. The world is just so beautiful and the machines are so awesome, it has to happen.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
So, it looks like Sony's (gaming) Studios will be heavly envolved in this.

I suspect that the ideas/scripts and so on may come out directly from the studios.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon would be the right thing to adapt. You could even tell a parallel story to Aloy's - a group of teens rediscovering the Earth could be the next Hunger Games, or even something like Game of Thrones.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
YES.
Project Zero Dawn

This should be the key thing about the initiative. Create content in service to the games and not remake/adapt stuff thats already going to be much better as a game. A Horizon Prequel could be great.

Oct 25, 2017
If we ever got an Uncharted show you already have the tv level cast perfected
haven-uncharted-img-5-610x406.jpg

MV5BMjg4OTA2ODA1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjgyMDI4OA@@._V1_UY1200_CR585,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Set it after 4.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon would be the right thing to adapt. You could even tell a parallel story to Aloy's - a group of teens rediscovering the Earth could be the next Hunger Games, or even something like Game of Thrones.

I think the biggest issue with a Horizon movie/TV show is the budget. There's no way something like that could be made with anything other than a large budget. Even without getting into machines, the costume design alone is going to be real expensive. It's definitely something that could be an awesome, but it's going to require a big commitment due to that budget.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think the biggest issue with a Horizon movie/TV show is the budget. There's no way something like that could be made with anything other than a large budget. Even without getting into machines, the costume design alone is going to be real expensive. It's definitely something that could be an awesome, but it's going to require a big commitment due to that budget.
God of War would probably be quite CGI heavy as well. I'd imagine even Kratos would have to be CGI to truly bring him to life, I can't imagine some tall, strong duded being painted white and red working.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

I was actually thinking that Horizon wouldn't be too harsh on a series budget. It's wilderness and villages and a central settlement, barely Medieval with modern accents to designs. The main CG component would be inorganic and replicable.

Within Sony's library of popular gaming IP nothing comes to mind which would be notably cheaper to produce. Until Dawn maybe. The Last of Us also, I suppose.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The other exciting thing at the very end of the article:

Layden will speak about the continuing evolution of PlayStation's Worldwide Studios at the Collision Conference in Toronto, Canada on Tuesday.

Excited to see what he talks about!

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So what does this mean for that Uncharted movie in the works? Is that gonna be a PlayStation Production now?

This sounds like it could be really cool. I like that they're taking the Marvel approach by putting the actual studio that created the original source material in charge of production.

Imagine an epic Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/Last Guardian movie.

Imagine an adorable Dreams/LittleBigPlanet Pixar like short or series.

Imagine God of War or The Last of Us.

There are tons of possibilities here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A long time ago, Vin Diesel said that he would have liked to see Riddick games as interstitial between the movies.

I cannot think of a better way to reach out and fill in the void between the sequels of various 1st party franchises.

I would definitely go with animated series or movies, however. Comparatively smaller financial risk than live action stuff.

Also, while it is beyond the scope this discussion, perhaps graphic novels could be another outlet. Last I remember, Bloodbore did something similar.

Point is, reach and expand through various mediums.