• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Senior producer: https://www.sie.com/jp/saiyo/career/job138.html
Producer: https://www.sie.com/jp/saiyo/career/job137.html
Technical producer: https://www.sie.com/jp/saiyo/career/job139.html

role

Work with the best independent game developers in Japan and Asia to find, evaluate, produce and launch external products (video games) for the best possible quality and success within time and budget. I will. It manages the development and approval process for these products, from initial concept determination or acquisition to final commercial mastering. Manage the line and guide and educate the team on production methods and internal processes. Ensuring the trust and satisfaction of external development partners while developing a comprehensive and collaborative team culture and growth mindset.

Business content
  • All aspects of new projects and existing franchises need to be effectively presented to marketing.
  • You need to understand what it takes to build and maintain good relationships with your global marketing team and build and deliver AAA titles and franchises within SIE.

So this's probably going to substitute for Sony Japan external development division. From Sony FP thread by Angie22.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
We are going to get some AAA bangers from Japan and China on Playstation this gen. Cannot wait!

Oct 30, 2017
Sony's claims that they are indeed beefing up first and second party development does indeed seem to be supported by the hiring trend we are seeing within SIE.

Oct 25, 2017
So, it's kinda like Playstation China Hero project? To find some great indies and give them a great publishing deal?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Interesting part is that there aren't that many independent Japanese studios that work on AAA games.
So we probably can guess who they working with.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Good. Hope this will finally culminate in a first party JRPG...god knows how long I've waited for one.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It is time to escape the mobile hell.

images

images

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Good to see Sony making efforts to improve their output made in Asia.

This is good news. Hopefully Bloomberg.jp will write an article about this positive development, this thread could use a little more activity...

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Oh cool. I think it's smart for Sony to invest in these growing areas. Particularly places like China. I think this upcoming gen will see a lot of cool things from Chinese developers.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
There aren't that many (or any?) independent AAA developers in Japan and Asia.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
There aren't that many (or any?) independent AAA developers in Japan and Asia.

I think this is more like helping 3rd party developers with their titles that are coming exclusively to PlayStation. XDev has done a ton of work as a support studio, no? I could be way off base here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Interesting. I'm a little lost cuz of the wording, then. Is this more like beefing up independent studios or what? The "independent" part is throwing me way off.

You know how Japan Studio had producers that went to make deals with Clap Hanz for Everybody's Golf or FROM for Bloodborne/Deracine?

Basically this. They laid off Japan Studio's producers, but are hiring new people instead.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
You know how Japan Studio had producers that went to make deals with Clap Hanz for Everybody's Golf or FROM for Bloodborne/Deracine?

Basically this. They laid off Japan Studio's producers, but are hiring new people instead.

Ah, alright. Thanks. I'm curious where this will go since AFAIK there aren't many AAA independent developers in Asia like that other poster mentioned.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Ah, alright. Thanks. I'm curious where this will go since AFAIK there aren't many AAA independent developers in Asia like that other poster mentioned.
The developer is not 'AAA', what they mean is that the game would have equivalent budget. For example: Housemarque and Bluepoint. The American xDev is also working with two smaller, independent studios but on AAA games. That's what the posting most likely means.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
The developer is not 'AAA', what they mean is that the game would have equivalent budget. For example: Housemarque. The American xDev is also working with two smaller, independent studios but on AAA games. That's what the posting most likely means.

Makes way more sense now. Thanks

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

"AAA" is a meaningless buzz word anyway. The "range" of what qualifies for AAA covers everything from something like Sackboy to Red Dead Redemption so what the fuck does AAA even mean.

Sony is no stranger to giving smaller devs with no AAA experience (Housemarque and Ready at Dawn) a bigger budget and time to crank out something that can pass for a high-budget production anyway.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean that we might someday get a well funded first party JRPG from Falcom or smaller Japanese studios like that?

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Sounds like we're gonna be drowning in games in a couple of years. This is why completion is good