• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much is PSVR2 going to cost?

• $399

Votes: 253 10.2%
  • $499

Votes: 658 26.6%
  • $549

Votes: 155 6.3%
  • Arrogant Sony is back with $599

Votes: 1,405 56.9%

• Total voters

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
If I want a new laptop or build a new gaming PC, it'll cost me 900-1100 CAD. How is that cheaper then the PS5?

Well, first, games on PC cost cheapers, you can get countless of deals out of them on many websites. On that front you recoup costs that you will need to spend outside of buying a PS5.

PS5 exclusives are now coming much more on PC than ever, but not XBox.

Long term, your PC can last more longer with the proper care and updates than a console. I'm not someone who likes to open my PC and change stuffs inside, but I know a lot of people who can do it for me for cheap, so I think spending this amount on a professional to do the update is worth it compared to just buying another new console altogether.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
It's obvious that you're front loading more money but you make it back really quickly when you realise that games cost 25% to 50% less, and you don't have to pay a subscription service for the "privilege" of online gaming.

It's not even the price that turns me off as much as the troubleshooting.

And I know the common response here is:

"FFS PC gaming has moved on since 2002, it's super simple now"

But every now and then I see people, here on Era talking about an issue in a PC game with nobody even acknowledging the increased frequency of these types of compatibility issue on an open platform.

And I'm not really here for it, I spend most of my day troubleshooting with computers when I want to play a game I'm happy to pay a little extra for the experience to be seamless and consistent even if it is at a lower graphical fidelity.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Yeah factoring in the Series S they probably don't have to say anything since that's already the bulk of sales. I'm just saying I'd be surprised if they let go of an easy PR win, but not saying anything is probably also a safe way in case something happens.
I mean an easy PR win is simply tweeting about the Series S and it's low price entry point. There is no reason to announce a price cut RIGHT now when Black Friday is around the corner and it'll be a lower price than usual for 2-3 days. The point though is that MS is already in the position to be prepared for this type of scenario. I know we all shit on the idea of 2 consoles (one more expensive than the other) but we gotta give them credit where it's due, they were pretty damn smart in making the Series S a thing. People might seriously considering buying into the Xbox eco-system even more after this shit lol

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
If you could actually buy just the digital console, and without the fucking Horizon pack in or some other nonsense bundle.

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
Then I guess the wait for me just got even longer. Not paying more than 400 and for a slim version, not that current atrocity

Yep. Raise in price? So i get a steam deck and wait until a slim digital version comes out at reduced price and with good availability. There you go. 2 years out, consoles impossible to find and with forced bundles, almost everything comes out on ps4 as well, then you pull a price raise? …yeah Sony. Sure.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
This sucks but it makes me wonder, did all Sony do here is outline how price increases are going to work internationally on other consoles? Will these regions Sony has identified for price increase also be the target for MS and Nintendo?

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
The software is a lot cheaper yes, but the hardware is still a doozy.
I really wouldn't say that the software is that much cheaper, though. Not only are the sales now broadly similar between platforms, but anyone I know who has a console but somewhat limited income is quite used to sell their games to other people once they're done with it. Only enthusiasts that are deeply invested in gaming think that the 850+ games they will never be able to rent or sell in any way constitute a good deal when the second-hand market that is long-gone on PC continues to thrive elsewhere (I'm including myself in that group so it's not too much of jab but still).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, well no increase in US* for now, weirdly this might motivate me to actually get a PS5 soon. I was iced out by supply for 2 years then lost interest because I didn't have much time. But... eh, don't want to *reward* price increases, haha...

That sucks though. Very surprised they'd do this and not bite the bullet on losses in the interest of not harming install base growth

People buy a new 1000 phone every year, but balk at a console price they buy once every 5-7 years

Difficult comparison, gaming consoles are very different devices. Most people can't live a modern life -- work, social connections, GPS, appointments, etc -- without a modern phone. Additionally as we all know, most people don't buy a $1000 phone every year, phones are heavily subsidized by carriers in several major markets, and most people treat their phone like a bio-augmentation device than a gaming console which is pretty close to strictly entertainment. Many people are within 2 feet of their phone just about 100% of their day.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
This sucks but it makes me wonder, did all Sony do here is outline how price increases are going to work internationally on other consoles? Will these regions Sony has identified for price increase also be the target for MS and Nintendo?
That really depends on how MS and Nintendo wanted to price their hardware. It isn't fair to compare it like this, because the hardware components in these consoles are different. Especially for Nintendo, where their hardware requirements are drastically different than Sony PS5, let alone Microsoft's Xbox Series.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
What was recent earnings? Weren't they in the green big time?

Big time for them yes. But if you look at profit margins,

net profit margin Sony: 9%
Net profit margin MS: 36%

So MS can take a beating in their margins for the relatively small gaming division, but for Sony (where gaming is also a larger share of revenue) that's going to hurt a lot more.

list

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The List just expanded:

The new RRPs below are effective immediately unless otherwise noted.*
  • Europe
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
  • UK
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
  • Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥54,980 yen
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥44,980 yen
  • China
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
  • Australia
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
    • PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
  • Mexico
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
    • PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
  • Canada
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99
  • Singapore
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – SGD 799
    • PS5 Digital Edition – SGD 669
  • Malaysia
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MYR 2,499
    • PS5 Digital Edition – MYR 2,069
  • Indonesia
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – IDR 9,699,000
    • PS5 Digital Edition – IDR 8,199,000
  • Thailand
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – THB 18,690
    • PS5 Digital Edition – THB 15,690
  • Philippines
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – PHP 30,790
  • Vietnam
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – VND 15,990,000

Raigor You might want to update your list in OP.

Last edited:

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
$1 CAD is currently $0.77 USD and it's been like this or at least really close to it for a long time now (when the PS5 released CAD was actually worth less). So this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

If anything, Nintendo and MS might take advantage to remark their pricing structure AND the fact they're readily in stock, maybe with a minor price cut where possible. I feel like Sony has just fallen on the same trap as they did with the Vita releasing for 250€ (not including proprietary memory card which was another growing pain) since that was the price the 3DS was launched at, only for Nintendo to pull the rug and make the hefty price cut to 170€ (eating the loss for a while) and leave Sony's ass up.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
If demand still far exceeds the supply I don't really see how this will hurt Sony and help MS, whoever sales more is still up to whoever supplies more and the price will probably go back down before the price can't justify the level of demand

If this ends up with PS5s sitting on shelves then yeah bad decision but I don't see that happening

It wont make a difference at all.
People are buying PS5s for 700€ off ebay as we speak.
Pretty sure retailers will mask the bump in their bundles (taking out a game) and come Christmas time the PS5 will be the hottest item again.

Nobody gives a shit outside of era imo

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
I don't see this going down well, things are tough in the UK right now, and are getting worse.

The Series S will be a huge deal in Europe going forward I think, especially among families with younger kids who just want to play Fortnite/Fall Guys/Fifa etc.

Theoretically correct but here in Europe, in general, xbox is not really taken into account. They don't ask about competition and they don't look. If everyone knows playstation it is because it is the best purchase according to their reasoning: they do not compare either the prices or the offer.

Not doubting this. Nintendo said they won't increase their price, but who knows for next year or 2?

If the dollar continues to be so strong and the crisis just as strong, they will have to. Maybe masking the increase or increasing only one model, but I expect it...

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, Nintendo and MS might take advantage to remark their pricing structure AND the fact they're readily in stock, maybe with a minor price cut where possible. I feel like Sony has just fallen on the same trap as they did with the Vita releasing for 250€ (not including proprietary memory card which was another growing pain) since that was the price the 3DS was launched at, only for Nintendo to pull the rug and make the hefty price cut to 170€ (eating the loss for a while) and leave Sony's ass up.

www.bbc.co.uk

Gamers face price rise on PS5 but not Switch

Sony's PlayStation 5 consoles are going up in price, while the price of a Nintendo Switch is staying the same

Look at the headline here. Nintendo gets good press just for not raising the price for a console that's been out for five years. Switch will continue to do well.

Oct 27, 2017
The price is never coming down. There's probably a good market for short term console renting again.

My friends are from the "I'll buy it in a couple of years when it's cheaper" era of console gaming. For them, the idea if paying £450 for a PS5/Series X two years ago was unthinkable.

Wait 2 years to pay £30 more? They'll just stick to playing CoD mobile.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, well no increase in North America for now, weirdly this might motivate me to actually get a PS5 soon. I was iced out by supply for 2 years then lost interest because I didn't have much time. But... eh, don't want to *reward* price increases, haha...

That sucks though. Very surprised they'd do this and not bite the bullet on losses in the interest of not harming install base growth

Difficult comparison, gaming consoles are very different devices. Most people can't live a modern life -- work, social connections, GPS, appointments, etc -- without a modern phone. Additionally as we all know, most people don't buy a $1000 phone every year, phones are heavily subsidized by carriers in several major markets, and most people treat their phone like a bio-augmentation device than a gaming console which is pretty close to strictly entertainment. Many people are within 2 feet of their phone just about 100% of their day.
Canada and Mexico received a price increase actually.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
It wont make a difference at all.
People are buying PS5s for 700€ off ebay as we speak.
Pretty sure retailers will mask the bump in their bundles (taking out a game) and come Christmas time the PS5 will be the hottest item again.

Nobody gives a shit outside of era imo
Yup, I sold my launch PS5 for €650 a couple months back. At €550 new ones will still sell out in minutes. Sucks for those that were waiting for a price cut but at this rate it won't happen before PS6, if even then...

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
That really depends on how MS and Nintendo wanted to price their hardware. It isn't fair to compare it like this, because the hardware components in these consoles are different. Especially for Nintendo, where their hardware requirements are drastically different than Sony PS5, let alone Microsoft's Xbox Series.

Yeah the main reason I am wondering is because we know they all get everything from TSMC. Like if the prices are going up for parts they are all effected so I am kind of thinking at some point MS or Nintendo will also get tired of eating the increased cost as well.

BinaryReduxer

Apr 15, 2021
It's still cheaper in EU. This price adjustment was necessary because USD is too strong. Just make a simple calculation:

PS5 costs 550 EUR(550 USD), this includes 20% tax. When you deduct the tax PS5 price is 458 USD without tax. In EU they also give 2 years of warranty instead of 1.

I mean it's not Sony's fault that they pay 20% tax over there. Also EUR lost a lot of value and electronics are procured with USD. People should complain to European Central Bank and their governments(tax). Believe me every electronic item will get more expensive in EU. I'm talking about 25% price increases or more.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

Gamers face price rise on PS5 but not Switch

Sony's PlayStation 5 consoles are going up in price, while the price of a Nintendo Switch is staying the same

Look at the headline here. Nintendo gets good press just for not raising the price for a console that's been out for five years. Switch will continue to do well.

And not only that. Both Nintendo and Microsoft can afford to do further price cuts even if that puts them at a loss temporarily because both make that back almost immediately with exclusive games (Nintendo) and Gamepass (MS)

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Microsoft did predict before the gen started that prices likely wouldn't be coming down much this gen, given semiconductor improvements are not happening at the rate needed to cut manufacturing costs in half like in previous gens.

Certainly was not expecting price INCREASES though lol

Jun 25, 2022
So
  • $70 games
  • $18/mo PS+ Premium that gives you practically no Premium benefits
  • Requiring customers to pay for current-gen patches for many of their games
  • God awful, anti-consumer digital return policy
  • Price hikes on their PS5 hardware nearly two years into the generation

All while many consumers facing more financial hurdles than ever.

Can't say it's a good look.
Yea, I might not get a Playstation this generation at all. With their games coming to PC, I have no reason to.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I guess more and more people are waiting for sales or buying bundled games second hand. You could get Horizon and GT for 40€ on EBay one month after launch. Maybe their 80€ strategy didn't work?!

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
And PS5 is already $30 more than Series X in Canada, the price difference is now $50...jeez.

Peripherals are also $10 more (+ xbox controller frequently being on sale here), and the games are over $100 a piece when you include tax.

Goddamn Sony is on their Apple shit right now

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't put 100% of the blame on Sony, because who could've predicted the Russian-Ukraine War, the oil crisis, the COVID-19, currency rates being jacked up, and all that jazz in the first place?

My post wasn't made in a vacuum. They hiked game prices, were extremely deceptive regarding cross gen game support, terrible ports for their top tier sub, etc. IMO the absolute worst thing was how deceptive they were with the HZD ps4/PS5 versions. They way they hid the lower PS4 price showed total contempt for their customers. I just got a PS5, but I plan to invest as little as possible in to their ecosystem.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
No one should be too surprised, Sony has done this before. I remember when they raised the price of ps4 by 50 bucks in Canada.

I am only surprised they never did it sooner.

giphy.gif

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Yup, I sold my launch PS5 for €650 a couple months back. At €550 new ones will still sell out in minutes. Sucks for those that were waiting for a price cut but at this rate it won't happen before PS6, if even then...

Yeah, this price would only matter if piles of PS5s were in stock at MediaMarkt.
Maybe (a big maybe) some people would back off and get a Xbox/Switch instead.

But overall (can only speak for Germany) an extra 50€ will probably mean that buyers will get less initial games, drop the second gamepad from their cart or maybe spend less on FUT/Fortnite.

No matter how hard people wish this blows up in Sonys face, it just won't.