• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
If I reconnected my PS3 post-store update, would I still be able to download God Hand or Fatal Frame?

For now, you're fine. The October 19 shutdown only affects the webstore; the PS3 itself will still have its own storefront that can purchase and download games, and so far Sony hasn't shut down the Download List functionality even on the PSP.

Where this gets hairy is that a) the on-console storefronts suck, and b) some games that should be purchaseable on the Vita aren't because of weird reasons, meaning you'll NEED a PS3 to buy those games after October 19/28 (or whenever the old mobile storefront shuts down).

Also c), it'll become a lot harder to backup your PSN purchases because you won't have the webstore's download queue; you'll have to individually download and install every game one by one via the storefront on PS3, even if you use background downloading for everything. I'm doing it now and it suuuuuuuuuuucks.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
For now, you're fine. The October 19 shutdown only affects the webstore; the PS3 itself will still have its own storefront that can purchase and download games, and so far Sony hasn't shut down the Download List functionality even on the PSP.

Where this gets hairy is that a) the on-console storefronts suck, and b) some games that should be purchaseable on the Vita aren't because of weird reasons, meaning you'll NEED a PS3 to buy those games after October 19/28 (or whenever the old mobile storefront shuts down).

Also c), it'll become a lot harder to backup your PSN purchases because you won't have the webstore's download queue; you'll have to individually download and install every game one by one via the storefront on PS3, even if you use background downloading for everything. I'm doing it now and it suuuuuuuuuuucks.
As someone who recently set up a PS3 again with a clean drive, I can confirm that it fucking sucks to use that PS3 store. It is so so bad.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Why oh why would they do this? Next step is not being able to redownload these games. This is our digital future!
The enticing thing about digital future is the following:
1) full control over prices by publishers
2) cutting out the middle man to increase profits
3) Being able to control access, remove access and more easily resell in the future

Basically, the digital future is designed to be a power grab, not as a service to the user. And what's even better, with a streaming future, point 3 gets fully realised in a powerful way.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I had a large queue and kept getting an error when I had the Download Queue to download a bunch (36) titles.

Had to rebuild the database, but that wipes all of your album tags, so I have to re-label my downloaded games again.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If my PS Vita is modded there are risk try buy games inside the console? Last time I got games with my modded console (muv luv games and P4G) I did the purchase in the web storefront.
You'll be fine. Thete's less than a 1% chance of getting banned. Sony never bothered with adding checks to see if a Vita was hacked because the Vita was past its use by the time it did get hacked.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Why the hell would they deliberately not list PS3/Vita games on the webstore? Is there any legitimate reason for this?
There must be backend complications that were holding them back towards what they want to achieve with the store going forward. Honestly I don't think there exists a significant audience that's affected by this since you can still buy the games from their respective platforms.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I know most people will be annoyed by this, but personally I hate seeing PS3 and Vita games when I'm searching on the web store. This is a welcome change for me.

There was never any hope for PS3 BC with the Cell architecture.
It's always possible just not a priority for Sony. I hope one day they surprise us all. Until then I'll keep my PS3 discs rotting in a box.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If they do this they should also clear all the PS4 and newer items from the transaction history on the respective systems.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
If they do this they should also clear all the PS4 and newer items from the transaction history on the respective systems.

The actual download lists on the console already only lists the content you own for that platform (or platforms that it supports, so PS3 will also show PSP, Vita etc).

The download list on PS3 is accessed via account settings rather than the PS Store.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The actual download lists on the console already only lists the content you own for that platform (or platforms that it supports, so PS3 will also show PSP, Vita etc).

The download list on PS3 is accessed via account settings rather than the PS Store.
Ah ok. I was thinking it was like Vita which shows everything.
Been a long time since I checked it out on PS3.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The enticing thing about digital future is the following:
1) full control over prices by publishers
2) cutting out the middle man to increase profits
3) Being able to control access, remove access and more easily resell in the future

Basically, the digital future is designed to be a power grab, not as a service to the user. And what's even better, with a streaming future, point 3 gets fully realised in a powerful way.

Streaming also has the ability to make piracy impossible. It's not quite here yet, but eventually it will be the direction they will go because it gives them the most power.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
::cries::
This thing is doomed.

4BUcqx6l.jpeg
She just finished baby!
Going to give her a few hours off before restoring with the new drive.
wKBo3Wll.png

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Don't have the HDD space to backup everything so I'll probably not bother, just compiling a "list of every PS3/Vita game" I own is headache enough.

Some games, like Rayman 3 HD, don't show up under "All Games" but show up when I look up "Rayman". Meanwhile games I'm pretty sure I own (Like call all cars, Killzone HD, Legend of Dragoon, MotorStorm: Apocalypse) don't show up as purchased. I look at PSDLE and they don't appear there either, so I'm just like.. kay. I feel like I'm going crazy. lol

Last edited:

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so backed up my PS4 Pro as going to move that to a 2TB HDD and move the standard 1TB to my PS3 Slim. I presume it supports that and will fit fine.

Had annoying trouble backing up my PS3 as it didn't recognise my 2TB external HDD so had to get everything fitted on a memory stick so deleted the cast majority of things. Hopefully my saves are fine...

Gonna give them a good dust blow out and get them swapped and then the fun of getting as much PS3 stuff downloaded. Just going to worry about all the digital stuff as that will fill it up easily.

My DS3 has gone loopy for some reason so that's annoying, keeps trying to go up/down for no reason. Might need to buy a backup PS3 so I have a working DS3.

ps3ud0 8)

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My DS3 has gone loopy for some reason so that's annoying, keeps trying to go up/down for no reason. Might need to buy a backup PS3 so I have a working DS3.

ps3ud0 8)

You might have to open the DS3 up and put a piece of tape where the ribbon cables are for the analog sticks. (Look up videos)

One DS3 had that and I opened it up and fixed it, so far so good. (the "cable" isn't really secured to it.. it's dumb)
The other I probably need to buy a new battery for it

I wish someone made GOOD Knockoff controller, or the DS4 was fully compatible.

Oct 29, 2017
Ouch. Just watched today's Kinda Funny Games Daily, both Greg and the guest host applauded the removal of PSP/Vita/PS3 games from the web store and even described it as "clearing out the garbage."

I get it, not everyone cares about retro games, but it sucks to see people actively cheering for these consoles to get taken out back and shot.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, I actually ordered a backup PS3 off ebay with 2 Sony PS3 controllers for a pretty good price. Got Slim 2501 model, figure that's probably best of both worlds as I really dislike super slim design and this one has better heatsync and fan vs 3001 models.

Ouch. Just watched today's Kinda Funny Games Daily, both Greg and the guest host applauded the removal of PSP/Vita/PS3 games from the web store and even described it as "clearing out the garbage."

I get it, not everyone cares about retro games, but it sucks to see people actively cheering for these consoles to get taken out back and shot.

It's ridiculous actually. Any competent company could have put filters in or it could keep the legacy online store for PSX, PS2 Classics, PS3, PSP and Vita games. Considering modern cloud services and usage models, it's not rocket science.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
This thread reminded me that it's time to use PSDLE to pull my final PS3/PSP/Vita inventory from the store before they change it. I'll go through it tonight and see if there's anything I'd like to queue up for the PS3 before I have to use the horrible console store to do it. I'm not sure if I'm going to go to the trouble of backing up my PS3, though. My backlog is such that I could just write what's left on that console off and still never get to everything. Also I bought all the third party stuff on 360 or PC so we're only talking a handful of exclusive downloadable games really.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

That attitude is going to bite people in the ass one day. People really don't understand how important game preservation, and relatively easy access to that content is.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
That attitude is going to bite people in the ass one day. People really don't understand how important game preservation, and relatively easy access to that content is.
Yeah, and PS3 is really the first system (one could argue PSP as well I guess) where digital downloads, DLC and patches started coming in full force. That makes preserving even physical PS3 games a lot trickier. Frankly PSX and PS2 are easy to preserve in comparison. PSP games are smaller so are easier to backup. PS3 is where it really starts being annoying.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and PS3 is really the first system (one could argue PSP as well I guess) where digital downloads, DLC and patches started coming in full force. That makes preserving even physical PS3 games a lot trickier. Frankly PSX and PS2 are easy to preserve in comparison. PSP games are smaller so are easier to backup. PS3 is where it really starts being annoying.
I'm completely ignorant of the PS3 hacking scene but is this something they have a solution for? Because let's say that by the time the PS6 or PS7 comes out Sony finally pulls the plug on the PS3/PSVita store. I hope the hacking Community has something setup to provide those patches and DLC that physical games won't have access to.

Tektonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely ignorant of the PS3 hacking scene but is this something they have a solution for? Because let's say that by the time the PS6 or PS7 comes out Sony finally pulls the plug on the PS3/PSVita store. I hope the hacking Community has something setup to provide those patches and DLC that physical games won't have access to.

Yep, it's being archived/preserved... but there is already a lot of stuff that's lost from ps3 ps vita, because Sony removed without any notification

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People understand but most probably don't care and that extend to BC, we're just enthusiast bubble that's why it's skewed here. I hope someone can add a browser extension to pull the data if that's possible, like what they did with the downloads

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I am hoping they don't actually purge the information from the backend of the new store and just remove them from the front end. That way PSDLE can still access it for queueing downloads and grabbing packages etc.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Using the store on PS3 was a horrible process when PS3 was the current gen. Dread to think how the experience feels now

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Using the store on PS3 was a horrible process when PS3 was the current gen. Dread to think how the experience feels now
Even worse lol because they changed it to the PS4 one more or less when PS4 was coming out, and that one runs BAD on PS3. Imagine how is it on PS4, a thousand times worse on that weird PS3 browser from 2007.

bnx

Mar 18, 2018
yep, PS3 store sucks. at one point the store locked up on me so badly that when I shut it down and booted it back up, the PS3 didn't recognize my HDD and it couldn't get past the startup screen. It fixed itself somehow but thats all it took for me to never use that shit on my PS3 again.

Hopefully to some degree, PS3, Vita etc content can still be accessed through the web browser.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
yep, PS3 store sucks. at one point the store locked up on me so badly that when I shut it down and booted it back up, the PS3 didn't recognize my HDD and it couldn't get past the startup screen. It fixed itself somehow but thats all it took for me to never use that shit on my PS3 again.

Hopefully to some degree, PS3, Vita etc content can still be accessed through the web browser.
This new site seems like a no:

Sony

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Just as a remainder: you can access the download list on ps3 directly from the xmb, without using the store.

I've been downloading everything i own digitally on Vita and PS3 to make backups, and i remembered about it.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
New store is quick though. And they show which games are PS+ without add-ons.

Edit: I really wish the left the legacy store just for legacy devices :(.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it makes sense, but it'll make accessing the stuff even harder with the crappy console-based stores.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
This new site seems like a no:

Sony

*Sighs*

Well at least we can still get stuff via PS3 after the 19th. I doubt it'll happen, but I hope Sony changes the PS3 store front so it's actually a better experience to buy games off of. I for one like the old look, before they changed the store to resemble the PS4 store. I don't remember having any negative experiences before that big change.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Correct, but it is faster way to browse the list, in case you have a bazillion downloads like i do.

Yup, way more reliable than the store since it won't crash, and you can access stuff that's delisted from the store that you wouldn't be able to search for there. No filters, of course, because apparently Sony never expected anyone to have over 100 pieces of digital content back in '06. :/

It's also the only way to directly get anything onto the PSP without using a PS3, though obviously you would have had to already own the content.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just got this email from PlayStation confirming this

PlayStation said:
Hi GrayWolf323,

Our brand-new PlayStation™Store launches on web and mobile from 21 – 26 October 2020, and we are making some changes to the content you can access on PS Store via your desktop and mobile devices.

What is changing?
The following changes will come into effect online from 21 – 26 October, and on mobile on 28 October:

• You will no longer be able to buy:
o PlayStation®3 games and add-ons
o PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) games and add-ons
o PlayStation®Vita games and add-ons
o Apps
o Themes
o Avatars

• The Wishlist feature will be discontinued and any items currently on "Your Wishlist" will be removed.

What does this mean for you?
The content listed above will no longer be available to buy on PS Store when accessed via a desktop or mobile device. However, you will still be able to buy PS3™, PSP or PS Vita content by accessing PS Store directly from your PS3, PSP or PS Vita. PlayStation®4 apps, themes and avatars can also be downloaded via PS Store on your PS4™ console.

What about the content you already own?
You will still be able to access all your previously purchased PS3, PSP or PS Vita content as before. Your existing PS4 apps, themes and avatars will remain on your PS4 console.

Where can you find out more?
If you have any questions about these changes, please visit https://www.playstation.com/get-help

I still wonder why they're dumping apps/themes/avatars too, I mean you can change your avatar to ones you've purchased online so it's not like there's anything you need a PS4 for with them