• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
ratchet-and-clank-ps5-playstation-5-exclusives-1.original.jpg

There will be games that you can only play on the PlayStation 5 when Sony's next-gen system launches this holiday, and that's anti-consumer according to some enthusiasts. While the Japanese giant is merely following the natural order of all hardware transitions, Microsoft has thrown a spanner in the works by revealing that it will release all of its Xbox Series X titles for the next year and a bit on the Xbox One and PC.

There's an obvious advantage to the Team in Green's strategy: no one will be left behind. Halo Infinite, which will presumably be the next Xbox's flagship foray, will be playable on crusty old Xbox One from 2013 – and that's neat. But while I'm not a programmer, it's probably safe to assume that the overall package will be compromised on Xbox Series X as a result;

Will this matter? Well, the Redmond organisation presumably feels not, but I think it may give Sony an advantage – even if it's only a small one. The manufacturer has talked at length about how, for example, the superfast SSD hard-drive in the PS5 can fundamentally change the design of open world games like Marvel's Spider-Man; in order to take advantage of that fully, it obviously needs to ensure that it ditches PS4 entirely. You could argue this is pro-consumer, as it effectively ekes all of the features out of its new appliance.

More at Push Square

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funding games and making them exclusives is not anti-consumer.
Moneyhatting 3rd party games is.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's anti-consumer according to some enthusiasts
But they don't quote or link to any sources. Push Square is a Sony focused outlet so any soapbox articles like this (literally published as "Soapbox:" aren't holding anyones feet to the fire without actually referencing anything other than a few disaffected posters on forums like this and Twitter.

That they made a whole article out of this is ridiculous.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they arent lol.
People really acting as if there isnt enough software to choose from on PS4 ? Now or in the next 3 years ?

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Well... yeah, this is how it's always been; I'm glad Sony is leaving old consoles behind.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why does this even need article?
Sony is not anti-consumer for making their own exclusives, but they are anti-consumer for exclusives such as in Destiny

Oct 28, 2019
But they don't quote or link to any sources. Push Square is a Sony focused outlet so any soapbox articles like this (literally published as "Soapbox:" aren't holding anyones feet to the fire without actually referencing anything other than a few disaffected posters on forums like this and Twitter.

That they made a whole article out of this is ridiculous.

Just par for the course, reminds me of those articles of INTERNET SLAMS x when all they source are one or two tweets by literal nobodies.

Oct 26, 2017
Push Square and their articles, can't take them seriously.

OF COURSE IT'S NOT ANTI-CONSUMER.

Push Square editor is on ERA, took a look at the whole "anti-consumer" thread here and made an article because a small, small minority here called PS5 exclusives anti-consumer.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Push square been reading Era I see.

Edit: lol nvm the person is an Era user.

Last edited:

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Goodness me i don't think Sony's strategy is anti-consumer - it sure is not pro-consumer but it is not anti-consumer at the same time, it is just a decision that they have gone with. However i do view Microsoft's strategy as pro-consumer and it is similar to what they did last generation with a few of their first party titles receiving 360 counterparts. Also citation needed on Pushsquares assertion that:

But while I'm not a programmer, it's probably safe to assume that the overall package will be compromised on Xbox Series X as a result;

Because that is just ridiculous to say this far out with no details on how this all works. Forza Horizon 2 for example which was both on 360 and Xbox One was in no way "compromised" as the 360 had its own version to speak of and there is nothing saying that Halo Infinite might go down a similar route or quite simply wont be boxed in by having to port to the Xone.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Every single Push Square thread in the last couple of months was about some inane stuff.

Really makes me think.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Goodness me i don't think Sony's strategy is anti-consumer - it sure is not pro-consumer

I think it is. There are consumers who want a new software cycle to go with their new hardware, for the process of what that can do to push the medium forward technically. That's been the convention heretofore. I think 'next-gen' loses some excitement without that. It it 'pro' those consumers to start that transition now rather than to delay it.

It's just 'pro-consumer' in a different way to the approach that seeks to soften the transition and extend legacy platform lifecycles.

But tbh, to a large extent I think this 'pro-consumer'/'anti-consumer' rhetoric has verged into the nonsensical, and has lost all meaning.

pratyush1991

Jan 9, 2020
I don't understand how this is anti consumer. They make games for their hardware. If you want to play them, buy their hardware. They are not running charity.

Feeling entitled to play all games because you choose a different hardware doesn't make you right.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really didn't see the anti consumer thing being pushed aside from a couple of notorious posters.

Jesus Christ that post history. Enthusiast press like this shouldn't be celebrated as more than a typical opinion post on ERA. Treating it like a valuable source of information/discussion is definitely poor given they're sourcing from their own conversations on ERA but not linking them and manufacturing some large problem that doesn't exist.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Using unique and exclusive ip / content to entice people to your platform and service varies.

Netflix - Outstanding
Amazon - Excellent
HBO - Epic
Sony - Anti Consumer

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The anti-consuner complaints were always laughably misplaced and ridiculous. It's like some people are new to technological and product developments, cycles or advancements, correlating support cut off points, along with the very nature of the relevant business models.

What I find especially amusing is why some are or were seemingly championing only this arbitrary cut off point of 1-2 years of (first party) cross gen games in support of past gen consumers. Why not 4 years of cross gen support? Or 6? Why support cut off generations at all?

Last edited:

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
List of consoles without exclusives at launch:

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think it is. There are consumers who want a new software cycle to go with their new hardware, for the process of what that can do to push the medium forward technically. That's been the convention heretofore. I think 'next-gen' loses some excitement without that. It it 'pro' those consumers to start that transition now rather than to delay it.

It's just pro consumer in a different way to the approach that seeks to soften the transition and extend legacy platform lifecycles.
I think my post is quite clear - just because something is regarded as either pro or anti consumer does not automatically make it the other. I fail to see how the decision by Sony to limit their first party offering to PS5 from now on is "pro-consumer" in the traditional sense of the word - i can understand why certain subsections of the community might "like" the decision made for the reasons you outlined, but again that does not make it "pro-consumer".

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if it was anti consumer it worked for them this gen, so they'll probably not change their approach with the exception of multiplayer focused games and maybe some of their smaller projects.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Push Square is a site focusing on Playstation platforms with Playstation symbols on its site background.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
When I buy new hardware, all I want is new functions and new games making use of those. We've had seven years already of these old systems. It's good to know there's a real change coming.

PS: Timed exclusives from other companies are positive for your consumers, I'd say this whether is Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony who does it. As long as the terms are clear and known before release (FF VII comes to mind), it's all fair in the game.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think my post is quite clear - just because something is regarded as either pro or anti consumer does not automatically make it the other. I fail to see how the decision by Sony to limit their first party offering to PS5 from now on is "pro-consumer" in the traditional sense of the word - i can understand why certain subsections of the community might "like" the decision made for the reasons you outlined, but again that does not make it "pro-consumer".

By a strict definition or usage of the term in other circles, neither is extending legacy support for older machines 'pro-consumer'. But this whole silly debate sprang out of people using the term in suggested opposition to what Sony was doing.

By the definition that seems to be used in this conversation - of what returns value to the consumer - either of these approaches can be cast as returning more value to the consumer.

Although as I said, I think the whole thing is starting to verge into the territory of abusing terms to mean things they didn't previously, just to goose the console wars.