• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Schrodinger's Consumer:

Where it is anti-consumer to both not make games that take advantage of the full extent of a new product in order to support the old product, but also to make games that exclusively target the new product and not the old product.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people have completely ruined the term "anti-consumer", to the point where it has absolutely no meaning anymore.
someone doesn't like something that a company is doing? boom, label it anti-consumer.
you, as a consumer, have some rights. is something a company is doing against those rights or violating them? then it's anti-consumer. otherwise you don't get to call something as trivial as not being able to play a new game on a console you already own (which is in no way a right that you should feel entitled to as a consumer) anti-consumer.
same goes for like 80% of stuff people here call anti-consumer here on era. a company isn't willing to put their games on all consoles? that's not anti-consumer. a company isn't willing to devalue their games by dropping their prices? that's not anti-consumer. etcetera etcetera
just cuz you feel something would be good for you as a consumer doesn't mean it's anti-consumer when you don't get it. you are not entitled to all the possible good things.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People are putting way too much stock into this

It's cool the PS5 will have PS5 exclusives, but people seem to forget early console exclusives tend to suck

PS4 had what, Knack, Infamous, Killzone?

Were any of the early PS3 Sony exclusives great?

XB1 had Ryse, so another classic there

I could be wrong but unless Sony can buck a decade long trend I'm pretty sure the PS5 exclusives from the first year will be among the weakest of the systems exclusives

Even Nintendo haven't started off with a 10/10 exclusive since what, Mario 64?. The Wii launched with a GCN game and the Switch with a Wii U game, so cross gen

I can see why people are disappointed the new Xbox won't have early exclusives, but history would indicate that's not going to be a massive loss, all things considered

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
To the people who keep using the word anti-consume.

19789999.jpg

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just love these articels purely based on "No shit sherlock" and some random dickheads on the internet.

/s

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Does Nintendo suffer the same treatment because of Mario and Zelda, to name but two of their exclusives?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
People are putting way too much stock into this

It's cool the PS5 will have PS5 exclusives, but people seem to forget early console exclusives tend to suck

PS4 had what, Knack, Infamous, Killzone?

Were any of the early PS3 Sony exclusives great?

XB1 had Ryse, so another classic there

I could be wrong but unless Sony can buck a decade long trend I'm pretty sure the PS5 exclusives from the first year will be among the weakest of the systems exclusives

Even Nintendo haven't started off with a 10/10 exclusive since what, Mario 64?. The Wii launched with a GCN game and the Switch with a Wii U game, so cross gen

I can see why people are disappointed the new Xbox won't have early exclusives, but history would indicate that's not going to be a massive loss, all things considered

eh Mario Odyssey?Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anti-consumer lost all its meaning here ages ago.

That being said however would I fail to see the insightfulness of this article.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
eh Mario Odyssey?Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Yeah those are good, fair enough, but they also didn't launch with the system, they came 6 months later

With the last 2 consoles from Sony and MS, I don't think any of the exclusives from launch to a year after launch would be considered in the systems top games

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
how can i consume in peace with all these exclusives. i thought this was a free country

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Why would you even feed such an idiotic thought with an article.
I have seen a lot of garbage articles in general coming from Push Square and in more frequency lately. Dual GPU's and every silly reddit/pastebin rumor like Rockstar being bought by Sony... full on console warrior mode with no filter.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
People that think nextgen only games are anti-consumer are either morons or trolls and shouldn't be taken seriously in the first place.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
What a laughable article and even more laughable that the OP actually posted it.

It's not anti consumer to make exclusives for own hardware, money hating is.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly isn't pro consumer that's for sure.

I mean sure, it's not pro-consumer but a lot of things aren't. Charging for a online gaming isn't 'pro-consumer' for example, and while people are okay not to like it, it's a completely fair thing to do.

While I don't agree with it it personally, money-hatting games is also fair, as companies do not owe customers on competing services and platforms anything.

As a consumer you have your rights, both by law and ethically. When companies actively infringe your rights as a consumer, that is where their actions become anti-consumer.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
This entire thing reeks of insecurity from PS fans scared of Microsoft's new strategy.

That's silly.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do such sites (or fans, for that matter) feel the need to defend such a decision? Locking a product to a single product is definitely not pro-consumer. It's the reality of how software often works (a lot of things only run on Windows for example), but it's not a net positive for any gamer, so why the hell are people defending it? Best you can realistically be is "meh, I don't care", but actually being happy about it is the weirdest flex. "Hooray, my shiny new hardware can play this game and the people who bought a different system or updated years ago can't HAHA". I'll never understand this at all.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The article is a bit of meaningless fluff really, but if fluff was banned we would probably have nothing to talk about.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not pro-consumer, that's for sure. However, if we get bigger games with better graphics as a consequence, I'm ok with this.

Exception: Demon's Souls remake. This needs to be on the PS4.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The anti-consuner complaints were always laughably misplaced and ridiculous. It's like some people are new to technological and product developments, cycles or advancements, correlating support cut off points, along with the very nature of the relevant business models.

What I find especially amusing is why some are or were seemingly championing only this arbitrary cut off point of 1-2 years of (first party) cross gen games in support of past gen consumers. Why not 4 years of cross gen support? Or 6? Why support cut off generations at all?

Your last paragraph is exactly why push square doesn't mind writing these articles. It's entirely possible for people to be ok with this timeframe....and not anything longer. It's ok to have nuance.