• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Llazy07

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what launch titles this thing will have I'm guessing 95% of it will be cross gen

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think he said production, nor will the PS4 cease production in 2021.

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/www.../amp/2018/5/23/17384050/ps5-release-date-sony

"We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future,"

Where did you see any production related stuff?
lol people create news based on feeling they get from a single article title.

ps4 will be in production till around 2024 as any PS console has been in production for around 11 years.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go out on a limb here and say I bet they don't even call it PlayStation 5

They will call it PlayStation _____

My reasoning is because it won't be a full restructuring of their consoles, starting fresh with a unique system with a bunch of unique software.

I think their plan moving forward is to create a piece of hardware ecosystem to revolve around indefinitely (much like how Nintendo will revolve around Switch for a couple of decades)

By calling it Ps5 there will be the assumption of Ps5 pro and then ps6...and that's a bad assumption to make and I don't think it necessarily helps them right now to make that assumption.

If they push the concept that this new PlayStation will play all previous PlayStation console games (and it will), there is no need for the iteration designation.

It actually will make the PlayStation more attractive if they give it a new name and have it be the promise of a future, consistent PlayStation ecosystem. Calling it simply a Ps5 does them no favors in making it attractive to ps3/ps4 gamers other than the greater power...which would be lame.

There has to be a greater hook/vision to it in this day and age when a dedicated media hardware investment is a less and less attractive concept.

Playstation One. The only One console you need for all your entertainment needs.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
2019 for sure, they aren't going to release early 2020 and miss those holiday sales. Who would buy a PS4/Pro for Xmas if they knew PS5 was coming out a few months later.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
2019 for sure, they aren't going to release early 2020 and miss those holiday sales. Who would buy a PS4/Pro for Xmas if they knew PS5 was coming out a few months later.
Lots of people. PS5 will be far more expensive than PS4 and Pro, and PS4 will likely outsell PS5 for a good while. Because of Pro/X, next gen isn't going to kick off with the same bang that this gen did - we were starved in 2013, still playing on 2005 hardware. It's just not quite the same this time around.

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of people. PS5 will be far more expensive than PS4 and Pro, and PS4 will likely outsell PS5 for a good while. Because of Pro/X, next gen isn't going to kick off with the same bang that this gen did - we were starved in 2013, still playing on 2005 hardware. It's just not quite the same this time around.
I don't quite agree with that. I'd say it's far more likely that sales will fall off of a cliff for the PS4/XB1 about the same time the PS5/XB2 comes out as everyone will jump towards them instead, just like what happened with the PS3/360. Most don't exactly own the XB1X or the PS4 Pro and still own or go for the base models

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. It's called the "Osborne Effect". Those who are calling for an early 2020 release aren't taking this into account at all.

Switch is a different case, because Wii U was already essentially dead, so that was one factor in a confluence of factors that made their launch a success

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PS3 didn't release until 2006 and 2007 in EU/AU.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't think he said production, nor will the PS4 cease production in 2021.

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/www.../amp/2018/5/23/17384050/ps5-release-date-sony

"We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future,"

Where did you see any production related stuff?

YEA, you should read the other article that is linked in that one.

Title:
PS4 heading into end of its life cycle, PlayStation CEO says

Today, PlayStation CEO John Kodera said the PS4 is entering the final phase of its life cycle, according to Wall Street Journal reporter Takashi Mochizuki.
Sony is currently projecting lower profits for its 2020 fiscal year: The company expects operating income to fall within a range of 130-170 billion yen. Kodera said that during the next three years — the period from now through the 2020 fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2021 — the PlayStation division will "crouch down once" to grow afterward, reports the Wall Street Journal's Mochizuki. Perhaps that means we won't see a new hardware generation until around that time.

Sounds like phasing out PS4 for a new piece of hardware to ramp up aka PS5.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
lol people create news based on feeling they get from a single article title.

ps4 will be in production till around 2024 as any PS console has been in production for around 11 years.

Lmao exactly, PS3 ceased production last year, these hardware boys are far too excited already for console specs of all things.

YEA, you should read the other article that is linked in that one.

Title:
PS4 heading into end of its life cycle, PlayStation CEO says

Sounds like phasing out PS4 for a new piece of hardware to ramp up aka PS5.

Isn't that obvious...? That's why he mentioned those three years, it's said the same in the link I posted.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
PS3 didn't release until 2006 and 2007 in EU/AU.
The generation started 2005. 360 launched in 2005, and most third party games looked better on the 360, so basically 2005 spec in terms of real world performance.
I don't quite agree with that. I'd say it's far more likely that sales will fall off of a cliff for the PS4/XB1 about the same time the PS5/XB2 comes out as everyone will jump towards them instead, just like what happened with the PS3/360. Most don't exactly own the XB1X or the PS4 Pro and still own or go for the base models
The fact that they're still mostly buying base models tells you everything you need to know. Power is irrelevant to these people, so they're unlikely to jump in to PS5 until the exclusives come along.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You said I WAS wrong. End of life cycle in business means end of production.
what u got from that article has never been done in history of sony so maybe u got it wrong? the whole thing means sony is expecting lower revenue the next three years to jump higher after that. ps4 will come to end of its production around 2024. just like all PS consoles(around 11 years). PS4 will be produced for few years after PS5 starts selling. They wont introduce PS5 and stop production of PS4.they have never done something like that

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You said I WAS wrong. End of life cycle in business means end of production.
What you're stating that the article means, I feel, isn't quite correct. All PlayStation consoles were still in production long after their successors became Sony's focal point.

PS1 didn't end production until 2006, 1 year before the launch of PS3,

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-stops-making-original-ps/1100-6146549/

PS2 didn't end production until 2013.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...-the-worlds-most-successful-game-console/amp/

PS3 production ended just last year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...production-ends-discontinued-sales-80-million

The trend seems to be that Sony ends production of a console shortly before or shortly into the life of the successor twice removed from the console in question. PS3 seems to be the only console thus far that subverts this trend but that likely has more to do with it being comparatively unsuccessful in the face of PS1 and PS2. Considering how successful PS4 is and continues to be, I think you won't see it's production end until late into PS5's life.

Also Sony has continued to support their consoles with new software after hardware production has ceased. I think the life cycle comments simply mean that in time Sony will release a next gen console but that doesn't mean production will end. PS3 was at the end of its lifecycle when PS4 released but console production didn't end until 4 years later, the phrases don't necessarily mean the same thing.

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that they're still mostly buying base models tells you everything you need to know. Power is irrelevant to these people, so they're unlikely to jump in to PS5 until the exclusives come along.
I think it's more accurate to say that power is exciting but isn't the end all be all reason to buy one console or model over another. However, when it comes to a new generation, the increase in power is absolutely a big part of the excitement and hype, alongside next-gen only games, the marketing behind the new systems and games, etc. Sales didn't fall off a cliff for the PS3/360 for no reason. People genuinely wanted new machines and I'd expect the same to happen for the PS4/XB1 once the PS5/XB2 are out. Exclusives have a lot of appeal but they're not why, say, the PS4 was such a huge success

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
What you're stating that the article means, I feel, isn't quite correct. All PlayStation consoles were still in production long after their successors became Sony's focal point.

PS1 didn't end production until 2006, 1 year before the launch of PS3,

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-stops-making-original-ps/1100-6146549/

PS2 didn't end production until 2013.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...-the-worlds-most-successful-game-console/amp/

PS3 production ended just last year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...production-ends-discontinued-sales-80-million

The trend seems to be that Sony ends production of a console shortly before or shortly into the life of the successor twice removed from the console in question. PS3 seems to be the only console thus far that subverts this trend but that likely has more to do with it being comparatively unsuccessful in the face of PS1 and PS2. Considering how successful PS4 is and continues to be, I think you won't see it's production end until late into PS5's life.

Also Sony has continued to support their consoles with new software after hardware production has ceased. I think the life cycle comments simply mean that in time Sony will release a next gen console but that doesn't mean production will end. PS3 was at the end of its lifecycle when PS4 released but console production didn't end until 4 years later, the phrases don't necessarily mean the same thing.

Here's what you are omitting, they want shorter gens. Which in tern means shorter production of said hardware with Fabrication manufacturing. Global Foundry is not doing AMD's fabrication anymore it's TSMC. Global foundry is getting out of that market completely. So them continuing to fabricate 28nm is not something TSMC will probably continue.

TSMC is not producing 28nm at high volumes anymore. And Global Foundry probably is obligated contract wise to continue until the contract ends which with AMD switching over to TSMC is probably in the next couple years.

WHich is why these articles paint a picture for 28nm chips to cease production around that time frame. This is not the PS2 days, and PS3 went long because of it's slower adoption rate in the beginning of it's gen.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how Team 2019 came in here without reading any of the other pages. This listing makes it very, very, very unlikely that November 2019 is happening. Early 2020 at the earliest and most optimistic, but most likely holiday 2020.

The funny things is that this is still happening. People are just saying "2019!!" without even reading the last pages.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's what you are omitting, they want shorter gens. Which in tern means shorter production of said hardware with Fabrication manufacturing. Global Foundry is not doing AMD's fabrication anymore it's TSMC. Global foundry is getting out of that market completely. So them continuing to fabricate 28nm is not something TSMC will probably continue.

TSMC is not producing 28nm at high volumes anymore. And Global Foundry probably is obligated contract wise to continue until the contract ends which with AMD switching over to TSMC is probably in the next couple years.

WHich is why these articles paint a picture for 28nm chips to cease production around that time frame. This is not the PS2 days, and PS3 went long because of it's slower adoption rate in the beginning of it's gen.
We'll see what happens. It remains to be seen whose interpretation of the article/what has been said of PS4's lifecycle is correct. I don't see Sony abandoning PS4 so early when it hasn't stagnated in terms of sales regardless of external circumstances that I'm sure Sony has under consideration. PS4 will likely sell even better when it receives price reduction and has more AAA games yet to arrive and they're supposed to walk away from that? But as I said previously, we'll see.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
We'll see what happens. It remains to be seen whose interpretation of the article/what has been said of PS4's lifecycle is correct. I don't see Sony abandoning PS4 so early when it hasn't stagnated in terms of sales regardless of external circumstances that I'm sure Sony has under consideration. PS4 will likely sell even better when it receives price reduction and has more AAA games yet to arrive and they're supposed to walk away from that? But as I said previously, we'll see.

Well you can believe what you want, but reality and facts that 28nm fabrication is slowing down, is something I can't ignore. ANd with AMD switching over to TSMC it paints that 28nm is slowly being phased out mostly for big contracts like consoles. It's more of the reason TSMC is right now the top dog for 7nm. Intel has a issue with theirs.