• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I have been scooping insiders and going around the web finding new things related to the next gen by popular demand and this week I came across this information Sony wants to hire a "Senior Product Manager..."

At PlayStation we are working at the frontiers of immersive experiences for our users. We are looking for an entrepreneurial Product Lead to join our Intelligence Platform Group. As part of this hands-on position you would work across Partners, Product and Engineering and contribute to development and growth of PlayStation Intelligence Platform. You will own the roadmap for next generation PlayStation campaign.

I work with tons of marketing agencies and when we are going to launch a product we usually start searching for talent to join our teams between 12-16 months before hand, so we can take the concept roadmap into a "real thing and possible thing" at this time it seems like they are still in marketing concept phase and are gearing up to turn it into a reality soon enough.

There's also a cross reference here with the recent CEO commenting on new hardware, this job posts were put up after his comment a days after

EDIT - Grammar/Better explanation regarding the find

EDIT 2 - There have been other job posting all the way back to July, but they were general jobs related to either finance/SAP/Warehouses/IT/HR and etc.. This was the big find in my view, because it is one related directly to a start of a roadmap regarding product marketing of a next generation.

Last edited:

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Cross-posting from the other thread:

Also did a quick Google search (after I read this post) and found this:

Senior Software Engineer, Intelligence Platform (Serving)

https://www.glassdoor.de/job-listin...E55,71.htm?jl=2592091888&countryRedirect=true

The team you'll be joining is chartered with developing platforms that enable delivering intelligent experiences to next generation of PlayStation® devices. To enable us keep the momentum of PlayStation® 4's tremendous success worldwide going over to next generation, you'll contribute to multiple opportunities to have an outsized impact on shaping the evolution of our web services platform

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheRaidenPT

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Cool stuff. Hopefully it a first half of 2020 launch.

Doubtful.

Most likely October and November to catch on the x-mas sales and after a back to school phase. You can however expect an announcement between Q1/Q2 since.. They must tell shareholders what to expect.

Later this year or 2019 you'll hear more whispers around the industry like the ones I have been hearing.. It ain't specs and it also isn't games but I have been hearing much about placing the right strategy onto the right time.

It could mean anything but I'd expect it has to do with the following things :

1) Momentum, PS4 is selling really really well let them go into 2019 and you'll hit the 100M consoles easily.

2) The more time they take... the cheaper things will become from GDDR6, to the SOC to etc..

3) Games, Games & Games.. The more time the better for studios to work on them.

OP
OP
TheRaidenPT

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Do you hire marketing people to lead the campaign for your next-generation product, when it's still 2 years away?

I have worked on several hardware projects and there's 2 big phases in this.

First is the concept phase where they team up with the hardware team (us) and explain the product and approachability we can have with the consumer.

Then the ball is on their side to design a concept marketing roadmap and turn it into a real thing (this usually takes 6 months)

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
End of 2019 makes sense. It would make current gen a 6 year generation. How is it "too short" for people? I would assume with the more and more advanced tech (for CPUs and GPUs etc) it shouldn't last more than 6 years. Current gen consoles often have problems with keeping stable 30 FPS. It shouldn't be like that.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Late 2019 to early 2020.

Given Sony's steps in every area of their PlayStation business no later date makes sense to me.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Yup. To me this definitely signals a Q1 2020 launch as it lines up perfectly with what little insider info we have so far.

OP
OP
TheRaidenPT

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Notice how it says devices instead of a singular device?

Yes it's a marketing campaign for a generation as a whole.. Rumors around "certain places I know" have been saying Sony has been looking into an hybrid system.. There was one person I talked too a few weeks ago he mentioned something along the lines of AMD Opteron SoC, but the reason I didn't share it's because it doesn't make any sense at all for Sony to look into AMD's ARM portfolio to build something like an hybrid system. (this would be a secondary system and not primary)

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
#5ThePlayers.

Hire me right now Sony. There's a lot more where that came from.

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not all they are hiring. In September they put out 2 new positions related to account management, scouting and 3rd-party relations.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 and Switch Pro in 2019
Xbox Scarlet 2020
Switch 2 in 2021
PS5 pro in 2022
Xbox Scarlet X in 2023
Switch 2 Pro in 2024

This is how it will be.

OP
OP
TheRaidenPT

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
That's not all they are hiring. In September they put out 2 new positions related to account management, scouting and 3rd-party relations.

These are general vacancies, from my field I can tell you they are searching a couple of SAP Jobs to start some new managing system / upgrading the current one for warehouses meaning they getting their systems ready for upcoming product launch in 1/2 years

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Notice how it says devices instead of a singular device?
I'd love it if Sony found a way to market PSVR 2.0 and some kind of streaming tablet, alongside the PS5 as is rumoured. Not sure if that's overkill, but I suspect VR is going to be very important to them going into next-gen, so if might not be that far fetched. Maybe they'll stagger the announcements of each of these things. Either way, it's good to know that Microsoft isn't the only one looking at multiple devices. Competition is going to make things very fun.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You're setting yourself for disappointment. There's no universe in which the PS5 launches in 2019. An announcement maybe but this is not launching before January 2020.
To me it seems quite the opposite with all those leaks released lately from sony.I remember AMD roadmap to indicate late 2019 for navi architecture and it's practically a Sony exclusive. I think ps4 will continue to coexist as base platform the first year of the PS5 life. I wouldn't be surprise if it will be priced as the xbox one X.