• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony is known for their shitty practice of no cross-platform multiplayer, but what was uncertain was if this applied to MMO's that worked on their own servers.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...est-failure-changed-the-series-for-the-better
There's still room for it to come to other platforms, too - and, of course, no interview in 2017 would be complete without asking about the possibility of a Switch port. "I'd like to open it up to as many platforms as possible - we want to include as many players as possible. Not just Switch - even Xbox, if it's interested in this, we'd like to open it up. We'd like to have it on as much hardware as possible. Even though the hardware might be different, they will be playing in the same world - it has to have cross server function. That's something that's at the core of FF14, so we'd want to keep that as a policy.

"We have no intention to divide the servers per platform - we're working with one big community. I'm interested in other platforms, of course - I hope those first parties change their policies or mindsets. I'm an MMORPG gamer - I'd love to play with many people globally, and we've been talking to those platforms about getting it on their hardware. Positive discussion is ongoing. It's not as if we're not doing anything - we are actually talking to them, and the platform holders are showing their attitude in a more positive way."

He mentions "first parties" here, but not Sony specifically. However... Recently Phantasy Star Online 2 (a cross-platform MMO with PC, PS4, and Vita) was released on Nintendo Switch which had a caveat. So essentially they are all on the same servers, but Switch users have a restriction in that they cannot play with Sony system users which outright shows it's Sony's nonsense with cross-platform again.

-edit- Clipping one part of this topic as it was another article that inserted their own tidbit.

That said, my argument with PSO2 still stands.

And the hilarious part is, FFXIV doesn't even require Playstation Plus, so it's just them being shitty at this point.

Last edited:

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, after the PSO2 nonsense I gave up hope seeing FFXIV on other systems. :/ And people wonder why Sony allowing crossplay is actually important!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not denying Sony's involvement but wouldn't the cross platform play on XBO not work anyway cause one of Microsoft's rules is that a player must be able to opt out of cross platform play? That kind of stops things all together. Unless they changed that recently.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I think it is the case, I don't think the article and quotes are conclusive of this theory.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Was obvious to me, but people always said it was Microsoft which may have been a thing once, but not now.

Because even if it was, there's still Nintendo. But nothing there either, so...

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're sure jumping to some really precise conclusions based on *very* vague wording on an old article.
You sure aren't reading what's being stated. "Old article" is a few months old, and he outright admitted it dude lol.

I also showed an example of a MMO with a very specific restriction in place.

Care to answer that?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It's shitty. And yep. Microsoft did the same thing when they were the leader. And yep. Next generation the leader will do the same.

Not saying that people shouldn't make noise, but until this actively bites them in the butt in some way this is how it's going to be.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not denying Sony's involvement but wouldn't the cross platform play on XBO not work anyway cause one of Microsoft's rules is that a player must be able to opt out of cross platform play? That kind of stops things all together. Unless they changed that recently.

Microsoft seems open about it now? They have cross platform either in place or upcoming for several games with Switch I believe.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Isn't Fortnite like cross platform between everything except XBox? And Minecraft same, but except Playstation?

So yeah, for me is Sony the issue here, making them chose between them or the others

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I knew something was fishy especially reading the need for everyone to be on the same server, since it's Microsoft that wants it's players to have their own server option from what I recall.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
If still true (which is prob likely is since I haven't heard otherwise), that's also very shitty on Microsoft's part. I really wish hardware companies would at least allow crossplay between MMOs. It can potentially hurt the growth of them

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft seems open about it now? They have cross platform either in place or upcoming for several games with Switch I believe.

That's different from what I'm referring to though. FFXIV there is no way to 'opt' out of cross play on PS4. You play with both PC and PS4 always. Microsoft when they began to outline their cross play policies, stated that they require all cross play games to give the option to ONLY play with Xbox players.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
You sure aren't reading what's being stated. "Old article" is a few months old, and he outright admitted it dude lol.

I also showed an example of a MMO with a very specific restriction in place.

Care to answer that?

I read what's being stated very carefully (which you aren't), actually, and it's extremely vague wording. No less vague than what Yoshida-san used for several years now. He admitted nothing. You're interpreting, very liberally.

PSO2's example demonstrates nothing, as we don't know who asked for that clause, or why.

Incidentally, as someone who actually talked to Yoshida-san directly during several interviews in which I asked about this very issue, the matter appears to be a lot more complicated than just pointing the finger at one party with no evidence whatsoever.

ubercheez

Oct 27, 2017
It's unfortunate that it's always in the current leader's best interest to disallow cross-play.

Oct 25, 2017

Not for MMOs. FFXI was on Xbox 360 as well, with all the cross play.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If still true (which is prob likely is since I haven't heard otherwise), that's also very shitty on Microsoft's part. I really wish hardware companies would at least allow crossplay between MMOs. It can potentially hurt the growth of them
I don't think that's shitty of Microsoft at all. Microsoft can't police players on ps4 so it's actually good that Microsoft mandates this.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was obvious. We even have Psyonix saying that literally all they have to do is flip a switch and Switch and Xbox players will be able to play with PS4 players. It's Sony holding the options back.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
This makes sense for like FPS games or the like where you could opt into console only matching because M/KB does have an advantage, but this changes nothing in a MMO. FFXIV players are on an equal playing field (unless you factor in things like ACT to measure DPS and its triggers for boss mechanics, which is basically DBM for 14, but someone can manually do the callouts regardless and if you have one person playing on PC in your static they can be the ACT person if you really need it.) regardless of if you play with a controller or mouse and keyboard.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read what's being stated very carefully, actually, and it's extremely vague wording. No less vague than what Yoshida-san used for several years now. He admitted nothing. You're interpreting, very liberally.

PSO2's example demonstrates nothing, as we don't know who asked for that clause, or why.

Incidentally, as someone who actually talked to Yoshida-san directly during several interviews in which I asked about this very issue, the matter appears to be a lot more complicated than just pointing the finger at one party with no evidence whatsoever.
Nothing? PSO2 shows Sony users can't play with Nintendo users, yet Nintendo is more than willing to do cross-platform.

There's no restriction in place on PC users which further shows Nintendo has no issues with cross-platform.

Also, how is this vague?

Yoshida reiterated this in the interview, noting that FFXIV would never come to those platforms unless all users could play together on the same server. He hopes that Sony changes its "policies or mindsets" so that this will be possible.

He outright says it's Sony.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If SE really wants the game on other systems then they can give them their own servers, make it crossplay between Xbox and Switch.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That's different from what I'm referring to though. FFXIV there is no way to 'opt' out of cross play on PS4. You play with both PC and PS4 always. Microsoft when they began to outline their cross play policies, stated that they require all cross play games to give the option to ONLY play with Xbox players.
It was the same way with Final Fantasy XI. I wish I could only play against PS2 players on that, but I learned to deal with PC players and gil sellers.

Not for MMOs. FFXI was on Xbox 360 as well, with all the cross play.
When it launched on xbox 360, Microsoft wanted Square on their console at any cost it seemed. They never allowed that again since they later had more leverage apparently. Or maybe because they had a bigger install base so no longer needed to bend to whatever SE wanted.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Actually Microsoft was the issue as stated by the game director a few times over the years:

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-isnt-coming-to-xbox-because-of-a-sil-723669207

"Yoshida isn't okay with that.

"The policy has not changed on Microsoft's side," Yoshida told RPGSite. "The main reason from our side is that I don't want the community to be divided; to be split into two or more. For example, one player might be on the PC version, another might be on the PS4 version, and I'm playing the Xbox version - but we're not able to join the same game servers. That is just... I just don't like the idea. I disagree with it.

The game would have been on Xbox a long time ago if it weren't for Microsoft"

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/1...x-one-talks-mmo-square-enix-microsoft-e3-2016

"Microsoft actually approached the Final Fantasy 14 team about the cross-platform opportunity," Yoshida told Polygon. "When our team reviewed the regulations that are associated with that, we realized that Microsoft may not have the experience or understanding of running an MMORPG as an online game genre just yet. The Final Fantasy 14 team has fed back to Microsoft that there are certain elements of its regulations that we would have to consider waived. We're waiting on Microsoft's response for that, but we are having discussions."

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read what's being stated very carefully (which you aren't), actually, and it's extremely vague wording. No less vague than what Yoshida-san used for several years now. He admitted nothing. You're interpreting, very liberally.

Yoshida needs to put up or shut up because Yoshida states the same thing every damn time since the Switch was still codenamed NX.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually Microsoft was the issue as stated by the game director a few times over the years:

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-isnt-coming-to-xbox-because-of-a-sil-723669207

Yoshida isn't okay with that.

"The policy has not changed on Microsoft's side," Yoshida told RPGSite. "The main reason from our side is that I don't want the community to be divided; to be split into two or more. For example, one player might be on the PC version, another might be on the PS4 version, and I'm playing the Xbox version - but we're not able to join the same game servers. That is just... I just don't like the idea. I disagree with it.

The game would have been on Xbox a long time ago if it weren't for Microsoft
For Xbox that was true then, but that isn't the case anymore and certainly isn't for Switch.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This makes sense for like FPS games or the like where you could opt into console only matching because M/KB does have an advantage, but this changes nothing in a MMO. FFXIV players are on an equal playing field (unless you factor in things like ACT to measure DPS and its triggers for boss mechanics, which is basically DBM for 14, but someone can manually do the callouts regardless and if you have one person playing on PC in your static they can be the ACT person if you really need it.) regardless of if you play with a controller or mouse and keyboard.

I mean I know. I feel like people are missing the point. I play FFXIV lol.

They didn't outline their cross play rules by FPS or by MMOs. They just stated ANY cross play game on Xbox One requires the ability to opt out of cross play.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
No surprise there.

If Sony didn't have a good first party then I wouldn't bother with their consoles...

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lot of your own conjecture there. Thread title probably should reflect that.

He did.
Is this conjecture?
Yoshida reiterated this in the interview, noting that FFXIV would never come to those platforms unless all users could play together on the same server. He hopes that Sony changes its "policies or mindsets" so that this will be possible

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
If SE really wants the game on other systems then they can give them their own servers, make it crossplay between Xbox and Switch.
This isn't a proper solution, Xbox/Switch owners should have access to the same servers everybody else does and have access to the existing player base.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This isn't a proper solution, Xbox/Switch owners should have access to the same servers everybody else does and have access to the existing player base.
It's better than not having the game on the systems unless they are afraid there won't be a player base for the game on those systems.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Square Enix talking and wanting FF XIV to be on Switch indeed (well NX, back then)
They said if the platform allowed cross-play, they totally would port it, since it wasn't the first time and Nintendo already allowing it, we assumed it was Sony blocking the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.