• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A bit weaselly but the auto-renewal checkbox is often selected by default when you first create an account with any online service. You have to be vigilant in unchecking that box.

Nov 1, 2017
A bit weaselly but the auto-renewal checkbox is often selected by default when you first create an account with any online service. You have to be vigilant in unchecking that box.
The problem is that the box will "conveniently" recheck itself. I've added a note to my calendar next year to double-check it isn't "rechecked" again and will be untying my CC from the account.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
That's not how it works. Any PS+ code that is used turns it back to auto-renew. OP probably turned off auto-renew when he initial entered a 1 yr sub but the next time he entered another 1 yr sub code it turned it back on.

Thank you for clarification. That's why it's turning on once in a while. I'll be careful next time I enter new code.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that the box will "conveniently" recheck itself. I've added a note to my calendar next year to double-check it isn't "rechecked" again and will be untying my CC from the account.

This has happened to me in several MMOs, so now whenever I pay for anything with a subscription I remove all forms of payment immediately afterward so they can't pull this crap.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Sorry to hear this happened to you OP. I assume must subs have auto renewal turned on and disable because that's the default for most companies. They hope some people forget and the sub renews - kind of shady but also on the consumer to cancel.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So if he is able to get a refund, it won't be the full amount and it'll be refunded to his PSN wallet and not PayPal?
Should get the full amount, but when my friend did it, was refunded to PSN Wallet, I don't know if you can ask them to refund to whatever you got charged from, my friend just asked for a refund.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you renew it via a prepaid card, I'm pretty sure it turns your auto renew back on without asking you, so if you've got a card or Paypal linked, it'll charge you from there.

I think we all expect it to default to auto renew when you pay for a year, but I'm confident there are other factors that re-enable it after you've turned it off.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Unfortunate circumstances OP, but yeah Auto-Renewal is turned on whenever you subscribe to PS+, and I wouldn't have thought twice about it in your situation considering you had no payment method linked at the time.

However, did you not get any emails or notifcations on PS4? I get system notifications and emails when an auto-renewal is coming up.

UXXOz6v.png

I noticed that I did not get the renewal warning email this year when it tried to auto renew using the funds in the PSN wallet. Not sure why they decided to change that, especially since I didn't know using the prepaid 12 month card turned it on.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
There you go, I came on ERA to see if anybody else had experience with what has happened to me this morning and I find an entire thread about it.
OP the same exact thing happened to me today except with a 3-Months renewal (makes sense since that's the last sub I had done) and that I swear I had AUTORENEWAL OFF. I'm 100% positive I unchecked it a few minutes after claiming my last 3-Months code. Yes I have PP linked. The only thing I've bought during the sub period were the PS+ games.
Will try again to refund it right now.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I think I'll try to call them after the holidays. It feels just so extremely shady from them

PSA: if you want to let your subscription run out check if Sony hasn't put the auto-renew on.
Sorry man, Sony didn't "put auto-renew on." That's normal for almost any subscription service. Unfortunately, you didn't turn it off. Good luck with a refund, though.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Auto renew is enabled on every subscription service until you explicitly go in and turn it off.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Auto-renew should be off by default on any subscription service. I always ensure to turn it off on PSN but I haven't subscribed to Plus in a while.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah companies try and screw you into auto renew all the time. It's almost always an automatic selection that is made when you add payment and you have to opt out.

Shit like my tmobile payments I make always auto select auto pay. Should really have laws that make it mandatory to be opt in by default.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Anytime you sign up for a service you should cancel your auto renew subscription right away. Dont even think about it. Just do it

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If you've done anything like rebuild your database I'm pretty sure it'd change to on too. It resets your back-up 2 factor codes, learned that the hard way.

Thatdamnmook

Oct 27, 2017
The exact same thing happened to me today - I sold my PS4 months ago so even more frustrating.

I'm usually very militant with subscription services and making sure I cancel/turn off auto-renew so am slightly suspicious auto-renew was turned on without my knowledge...no way of knowing for sure though.

Edit: My charge was also through PayPal too...I've submitted a refund request to Sony but would anyone advise to dispute it with PayPal? I don't want Sony to refund me to a PSN wallet I won't use.

Last edited:

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
OP was forced into a subscription that they didn't need, this is laughably typical modern day membership MO.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why, shouldn't that be a server-side setting?
What I thought, was super confused why my codes weren't working, wasn't until got access to my phone that I discovered they where completely different codes and I checked again after another rebuild and they where different again. Haven't changed since, check ever couple months now just to be sure.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Paypal will get your cash back if sony will only give credit. Paypal has its problems, but they dont mess about with refunds.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I also redeem codes from retailers cards and Sony enables the automatic renewal anyway. It is reenabled each time you submit a new card. You have to go there and uncheck it each time.

Yup. This got me last time (or the time before?) I usually use codes from retailers as there are more chances at sales and discounts and the like but then one day I got charged the full amount for the year or something and was confused for a while before realising I didn't turn off auto-renew.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Auto-renew was on. If you try to get the money back chances are they will ban your account.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I never keep a payment method on file. I delete after every purchase.

Me too after i played Elder Scrolls Online and they just kept charging. Spotify was super easy to cancel though. I have paypal linked now, and it is easy on their site to disable auto renews. And they stay disabled, but you have to do it for each service you sign up for.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've also never gotten emails when a renew is coming up and I'm always a little shocked when I see the "thanks for your purchase!" email, when it renews.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
if a company is being an asshole and chargeback is last option, why would you want to do business with them anymore? Nuke away I say.
Because they want to still keep their stuff they paid for. Charge back should be the very last resort, as it'll be the end of your PSN account, all purchases included.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Because they want to still keep their stuff they paid for. Charge back should be the very last resort, as it'll be the end of your PSN account, all purchases included.

I know. And, like I said, if a company is shit why'd you want to keep using their services? Taking $60 out of my bank account without clearly asking for permission and not giving it back is theft. And from the other side, why'd a giant corp like sony not give a cash refund for $59.99 in order to prevent hate? If they are going to force consumers into that corner, I want people to explain their position in threads like these. I don't know if that is the case though.

Also, there are options. Steam has a generous refund policy and has no online fees. So nuking a sony account and moving to a customer friendly business is an option if you can afford a pc.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I know. And, like I said, if a company is shit why'd you want to keep using their services? Taking $60 out of my bank account without clearly asking for permission and not giving it back is theft. And from the other side, why'd a giant corp like sony not give a cash refund for $59.99 in order to prevent hate? If they are going to force consumers into that corner, I want people to explain their position in threads like these. I don't know if that is the case though.

Also, there are options. Steam has a generous refund policy and has no online fees. So nuking a sony account and moving to a customer friendly business is an option if you can afford a pc.
Some aren't willing to give up potentially thousands just to get back $60 or whatever, even if they are done with PS after. I'm just saying people should know what the chargeback route is, it's you giving up everything associated to your PSN account until you pay back the chargeback. Sony don't show any mercy with it.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017

It needs to be clear, with a check box that you choose saying you agree to give them access to your money. A 'redeem' button says nothing to me about giving them access to my bank account in 12 months.

Some aren't willing to give up potentially thousands just to get back $60 or whatever, even if they are done with PS after. I'm just saying people should know what the chargeback route is, it's you giving up everything associated to your PSN account until you pay back the chargeback. Sony don't show any mercy with it.

Definately.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a crap policy, but when you redeem a prepaid card they turn on auto-renew. Every time.

But look at the brightside, OP. If you've been a member since PSPlus launched you have a lot of games in your library that would have been removed when your sub lapsed. If you'd prefer to see the glass half full Sony sort of did you a favor by keeping these in there.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
it's absolutely scummy shit by sony. anyone defending them on this is pathetic.
I dont think anyone would defend such practice, if thats really whats going on. If one turn off the auto-renew option during the subscription period, it should definitely stay off within that period. Someone should test when the next firmware update comes :)

EDIT: Apparently already confirmed to not be the case: https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...-for-1y-w-o-my-knowledge.112586/post-20028345

Last edited: