• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
One main thing that prevents digital purchases on PS4/XB1 is that you don't know if the game you are buying will eventually end up being free on PS+/XBL. And this can end up very annoying especially if this keeps happening multiple times

One thing they could do to correct this is to give a partial refund back in credit to the account used to purchase the game digitally and a full refund if the person bought a game within a month of when they announce that game becomes free

Perhaps someone knows a better way to compensate the digital buyers

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, does any store provide you a blanket rebate whenever a SKU get's discounted?

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
No way. I don't mean to be all #HailCorporate or anything but they really don't owe us anything, and it would be a needless loss on their margins. Might as well argue that we should get a refund when RRP drops as well. We know what we get into when we buy games.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
lmfao no

That kind of mindset is kind of ruining indie game sales on consoles if the immediate response to it is "I'll wait for it to go free"

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even get mad about ps+ being games I have already bought. Should they also compensate me for games that go on sale or drop in price?

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who owns both Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank and should be feeling this months PS+ burn, I have to say that's an unreasonable notion.

VillagerMax

Nov 4, 2017
No. You lose access to the games when you stop paying for the service but you can keep the game you bought separately. You are paying for online access, not the games they toss out once a month. This is especially true for gamepass since you are paying for access to the library, not the individual games.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You don't own PS+ games. Unlike ps+ your digitally owned games won't go away if you stop subbing.

OP
OP
ApeEscaper

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
lmfao no

That kind of mindset is kind of ruining indie game sales on consoles if the immediate response to it is "I'll wait for it to go free"
Exactly, because of the PS+/XBL alot of people would wait for a indie game to become 'free' on the service instead of wasting money and buying it now which can hurt it's sales

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
If it's a day or two before, I can sympathise and say I'd agree for the most part. But, I think they should actually enable refunds within a short span of time after purchasing. Why can't you refund digital games?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Nah, that seems needlessly fussy. I own Bloodborne on disc, and digitally, and I'm still fine with not getting anything for the PS+ release.

Also, you only have access to them as long as you have +, so if you already owned the game, you would retain ownership, and the partial refund? Cray cray.

However, a seven day grace period on games now discounted I'm fully in favour of. If you bought The Order for 55 quid yesterday, and it's 8 pound today, you should get the difference back.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
This seems both impractical and unnecessary.

If you really want a game, just buy it. If it becomes free on PS+ later, why not be happy that more people got to play it?

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games on PS+/XBL aren't "free." They're incentives to keep you forking over money for their respective services, and they disappear the second your wallet closes. This (ostensibly) doesn't happen with digital games you buy outright.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I purchased a PS4 for $399 in 2013 and now it's $299 online.

Where is my $100 back Sony??????????

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
I know Steam will sometimes compensate you if you bought something at full price and then it went on sale within a certain time frame, like a few days, so maybe Sony and Microsoft could do something similar but only within a strict time frame.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Would you ask for a comp for a movie that's on tv?

This is a silly topic.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Maybe if it was purchased within a week or two of being announced for PS+ while being a sub, or something. Similar to bringing in a receipt to a store for a sale-price match if you bought it within a short timeframe.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
I feel someone is salty over BB / R&C.
They can't do that, you don't even own the games you get with PS+, if you stop paying you lose the games.
So you open up all sorts of weird situations (and possibly exploits) like someone who bought a game, subscribed to PSN later, then the same game ends up on PS+ could get a refund which would be weird imo.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
This would be a totally legitimate concern if you OWNED the game for good from PS+. Because you got to remember that you only get the free game while you are a PS+ member.

So you buy Bloodborne digitally. It comes out for PS+ and Sony gives you $10 as a discount. You cancel your PS+, well you have to give your $10 back cause you no longer have the PS+ version.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't own the games through PS+/Gold (on XB1) so no I don't think they should. Now in the cases where you bought the game the Monday before, you may be able to contact Sony/MS to get a refund or something depending on which person you speak with.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"I want the cost of my movie ticket back now that it's on Netflix."

That's the cost of playing games day one. If you disagree with that then you should probably wait for games to be discounted. Otherwise, this is the cost you pay for playing things on release.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Completely disagree with this way of thinking; they don't owe you anything. Besides, those games you get through PS+/Xbox Live Gold can't be used after the subscription ends.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Eh? The games aren't free on GwG or PS Plus. You have to continue subscribing to play them. It's a subscription service. So why should they compensate?

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
How much do you think I am entitled to receive for having gotten Knack day one in 2013, seeing as it was a PS+ game last month? I am thinking $120 but I'd settle for anything reasonable.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is necessary at all OP... If you bought the game X weeks/months/years ago, you did so to play it earlier. You also own the game in that scenario, vs. having your rights to the game attached to your PS Plus sub.

I get that you want free money, but this isn't the way it's gonna happen.

Papilloma

Oct 27, 2017
This is a crazy idea. It would massively drive down the quality of the games offered. MS and Sony would have to look for games that few people owned digitally to pick from to control their costs. A very bad idea.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
I understand the sentiment since I already own Bloodborne and R&C for this month, but there's no way this will ever happen. If we're going to hope for some consumer friendly changes though, I'd much rather see either a 'pick 2 of these 3 (or 4) games for the month' or a choice between the main game and a piece of DLC of a given title.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no, that will never (and should never) happen. I'm pro-consumer and all that, but that's a special sort of entitlement lol

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Microsoft already has this.

Well, what the hell is PlayStation doing!?

As a consumer, aren't you entitled to refunds on purchases. Obviously, there is something in the terms that when you buy a digital game, you are unable to refund. I don't understand how they can just do that.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This is a ridiculous thought, to be honest. I don't think they should do this at all, even though it would benefit me.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Thing is with physical copies you can sell them to recoup some money if they become free on those services but digital copies you can't sell them

Then consider the cost of buying a game the ability to play it earlier. It sometimes takes years for games to show up on PlayStation Plus or Xbox GwG. You seriously expect them to refund everyone who bought the game? No, that's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.