• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Everyone fighting over specs they don't even truly understand and i'm just sitting here thinking about what an amazing time it is to be a gamer (i mean...not thinking about the recession about to happen).
This might be the first time we got these 3 companies with 3 consoles aiming at different things, with clear goals and looking really promising.

Switch saw Nintendo once again clicking with the public after the Wii U misstep. It already has a great line up of games with more to come, hardware-wise going hybrid was possibly the best decision Nintendo did in the past few decades and the fact they managed to keep it affordable was music to everyone's ears, considering the hardware and multiple target audiences. It's amazing and it's doing really great in terms of sales and business overall for Nintendo. I mean they had a Zelda game with more units sold WW than the hardware itself! No one is getting this record anytime soon, for sure.

Sony and MS are also about to release their next consoles later this year but this time with different goals when comparing with 2013:

Xbox is now more than just a console. Their message is also clear. MS has been approaching a more "play everything we have anywhere you want" kind of perspective and their next consoles are just part of the deal. Xbox Series X has been revealed for a while and honestly? I never had an Xbox and i want one. It's a beast and a beauty at the same time. MS has been hard at work acquiring studios, making sure they will have what it takes in terms of exclusives. They are also releasing a cheaper model due to the fact this will be mostly for a hardcore audience, that way attracting other potential buyers that would never buy a Series X. Let's not forget about how great they have been doing in regards of their streaming service as well, Game Pass, and how much you get for that price. It's kind of insane really. Again they have been focused, their message has been clear, everything about this "era" is working for them. Night and day with 2013 and it's amazing to witness.

Then we have Sony. They just spoke about the PS5's architecture in more depth and we finally know what's under the hood and it's doing a different approach when compared to MS. If Xbox is the most powerful and almost for sure more expensive, PS5 is the fastest and cheapest of the 2. The SSD technology seems so promising that it could change how studios approach gaming design, specially for 1st party games. Sony seems to really not care about the PS4 approach now and instead of doing a "safer" piece of hardware, they actually decided to try something more adventurous again and seems to be really well received by most developers. Their streaming service PS Now seems to finally be worth it when compared to like 2 years ago. And last but not least, the most exciting part that has been forgotten lately: the games. The amount of studios Sony has right now is great, they just acquired Insomniac a few months ago and we know more are still to come (Remedy being the biggest rumor). Right now over 80% of Sony's studios are working on unannounced games, many of these studios have been expanding in the last couple years and one newly created studio from Sony is still a misery to us. For now we know we'll get this: Spiderman 2, God of War 2, Horizon 2, the next Gran Turismo. Let's not even mention the PS4 exclusives coming this year.

Wherever you choose to play, one thing we know: these 3 learned from their past mistakes and i couldn't be more hyped for what the future holds for the 3 companies.

In a time of so much...heated discussions i thought there should be a place to celebrate all 3 and actually wonder...am i alone in this?

It's such an exciting time to be a gamer no matter where you're playing now or next.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Xbox business healthy? I do agree that this wasn't like the Wii situation where 2 out of 3 doing well at any one time ,where it was Nintendo >>> MS doing well Sony stumbling, then later on MS/Sony solidifying HD business while Wii faded.

I am excited

Oct 25, 2017
PC gaming is also better than ever.

It's an amazing time to play videogames no matter where you are playing.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I feel like the Xbox division is currently well-funded, but it's probably struggling from a profitability perspective.

At the end of the day, it's success will largely be determined by whether it can get Xcloud going.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Agreed, it's a great time to play games. Microsoft seems to be turning it around for sure, Gamepass is great, but I do want to see some diversity from their first party lineup which I assume we will. If that happens I feel like you can't lose getting any of their machines.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
agreed, all three seems to be doing great and that's a great thing for the industry. the first party output from them is on fire (and probably getting better over time), and combined they have so many talented studios working on so many amazing projects.
i think the fact that the big 3 are doing good is the reason why it's so hard for any newcomer to get into the industry as a platform holder (look at stadia), gamers are getting most (all?) of their needs answered by the big 3.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I wouldn't say the Xbox division is healthy, it's been an uphill battle since 2013...

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an excellent time for gaming. Platform warriors should put down their weapons and come together.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Everyone did pretty great during the 360 generation.

Microsoft managed to go hard and basically tie Sony after the PS2 decimated the OG Xbox. Sony managed to salvage the PS3 and catch up to the Xbox 360. Nintendo had its big console comeback and outsold both Sony and Microsoft with the Wii. The DS sold gangbusters and the PSP still managed to sell a very respectable 80 million units.

~2012-2013 was when things started to diverge with the Wii U being a piece of junk, the 3DS selling slow, the Xbox turning into a cable box and the Vita getting abandoned.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much - no need to worry about any of the big console players - so its sad to see that some people still think they have to act like these companies are fighting for survival.

OP
OP
Tiago Rodrigues

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Everyone did pretty great during the 360 generation.

Microsoft managed to go hard and basically tie Sony after the PS2 decimated the OG Xbox. Sony managed to salvage the PS3 and catch up to the Xbox 360. Nintendo had its big console comeback and outsold both Sony and Microsoft with the Wii. The DS sold gangbusters and the PSP still managed to sell a very respectable 80 million units.

~2012-2013 was when things started to diverge with the Wii U being a piece of junk, the 3DS selling slow, the Xbox turning into a cable box and the Vita getting abandoned.

Sony released 1 year later than the competition and came back with a console 200 dollars more expensive, was losing 300 dollars per unit and almost went bankrupt. First party games only started to get good after a year and half.
Xbox 360 were dying on everyone.

Nothing healthy about that generation. Many of these things can happen this generation of course but for now, let's enjoy the ride.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
On the Sony and Nintendo side, I certainly agree. I'm fairly certain MS has been in far healthier positions, however.
Quite the opposite - Xbox Gaming division has the full backing of the Mothership, dont think they were ever in a better place. See XSX, Gamepass, xCloud and their Studio Acquisitions. You cant introduce these things unless you come from a place of power.

If and how customers are gonna respond to it over the years, is another issue.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Is this the first time Nintendo and Sony have been killing it at moreorless the same time? Microsoft still have a lot to prove with their next machine and there's plenty up in the air for them though (they're certainly far from as healthy as they've ever been in the gaming sphere anyway). But things seem to be going well or going in the right direction for all three, I agree. And that does seem like a first. The next generation will be fascinating (please don't mess up the transition to your next console Nintendo).

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Sony released 1 year later than the competition and came back with a console 200 dollars more expensive, was losing 300 dollars per unit and almost went bankrupt. First party games only started to get good after a year and half.
Xbox 360 were dying on everyone.

Nothing healthy about that generation. Many of these things can happen this generation of course but for now, let's enjoy the ride.

I get what you mean.

Sales were ultimately good, but I think that generation suffered when it came to money making.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, enough with this "everyone is a winner!!!" sappy bullshit already.

People here want to fight and they want their favourite platforms and corporations to win. Nothing else matters.

Nothing will change that.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I can't totally agree with this because I don't think the Wii U was a misstep, at least not in quality. Even looking at a lot of Switch games will reflect this, the best selling Switch game is actually a Wii U game, while lots of its other notable games are ports or sequels of Wii U games. I only think the Wii U was a misstep in ways not related to the actual quality of its games, like hardware, droughts between games, no third party support, marketing, etc.

So, Nintendo for me has never really not been healthy. And tbh I also am pretty disappointed with the PS4's exclusives. I wish there were more platformers and gameplay-focused games like the PS1/PS2 had. The exclusives this gen mostly seem bland visually to me with less colorful environments and less fun gameplay.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what the fuck is going on in the other threads. People are going fucking mad.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for all the awesome games we'll get next gen. Looking forward to seeing studios like Playground Games, Rockstar and Naughty Dog do wild things with the hardware.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yep
I'm glad playstation is trying a few quirky ideas, which i kinda missed. MS fans seem really happy with power stuff and Nintendo is doing really well doing their thing. it's the kind of choice and differences i like.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm looking so forward to the next generation. Definitely getting a PS5 but still on the fence about getting a Series X versus upgrading my PC (I need to see that multi-game suspend / resume in action)

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Yep. When all three are going strong, it's good for everyone. What's the point if a single platform dominates the entire industry? Reducing consumer choices suck. It forces them to actually compete instead of third-party devs just pooling all their resources on a single platform.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a dumb baby thread.

MY Console that I bought needs to be the best AND the winner

MEEEEEEEEE

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're all implicated in the report on companies using slave labor in China so I don't think I agree they're "healthy."

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't describe Xbox as healthy tbh. They've sold less than half the amount of consoles of their main competitors, half the amount of their own last gen console and they've even fallen behind the company with a disastrous last product (Nintendo).

They're in a decent position for starting next gen though with the studios they've purchased, Series X and Game Pass.

Dec 23, 2017
I wish the gaming industry gamers in general was more united. I feel like publisher have so much control. I think everyone had the right to own whatever console they want and enjoy it. It would be good to see a gen with everyone doing well, getting games, and increasing user base.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
PC is also doing great. It seems no matter the platform you choose to game on, you'll have a great time.