• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why grown adults are behaving the way they are in those recent threads, instead of celebrating.

Reading some of the stuff literally made me not want to post in any related topic, but that's been the case for quite some time now, especially since all that TFLOP nonsense started. Now people are jumping each other throats about SSD speeds and I'm just here waiting patiently for them to show games, announcing prices and release dates, so that I can finally put my orders in.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Yep.

Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, and the Pc market are all doing fantastic. All have there own small complaints, but it's great to working to a more unified market

Deleted member 64290

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2020
User Warned: Hostility
I wouldn't describe Xbox as healthy tbh. They've sold less than half the amount of consoles of their main competitors, half the amount of their own last gen console and they've even fallen behind the company with a disastrous last product (Nintendo).

Your post screams "I really need to stop talking".

That's not how business works.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Is the Xbox business healthy? I do agree that this wasn't like the Wii situation where 2 out of 3 doing well at any one time ,where it was Nintendo >>> MS doing well Sony stumbling, then later on MS/Sony solidifying HD business while Wii faded.

I am excited
Microsoft Gaming revenue in 2017 was $9 billion, 2018 $10.3 billion, and 2019 $11.4 billion. Obviously Sony is higher, with almost double the gaming revenues, but Microsoft is still pulling in higher gaming revenues than Nintendo over the last three years (I expect fiscal 2020 might see Nintendo with higher revenues since Microsoft's fiscal year ends in June of this year, before Series X launch). I don't think any of the big three are unhealthy at the moment, and they all seem to have pretty sound strategies that are resonating with fans.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft Gaming revenue in 2017 was $9 billion, 2018 $10.3 billion, and 2019 $11.4 billion. Obviously Sony is higher, with almost double the gaming revenues, but Microsoft is still pulling in higher gaming revenues than Nintendo over the last three years (I expect fiscal 2020 might see Nintendo with higher revenues since Microsoft's fiscal year ends in June of this year, before Series X launch). I don't think any of the big three are unhealthy at the moment, and they all seem to have pretty sound strategies that are resonating with fans.
I would look at profits rather than revenue but your point is taken

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why grown adults are behaving the way they are in those recent threads, instead of celebrating.

Reading some of the stuff literally made me not want to post in any related topic, but that's been the case for quite some time now, especially since all that TFLOP nonsense started. Now people are jumping each other throats about SSD speeds and I'm just here waiting patiently for them to show games, announcing prices and release dates, so that I can finally put my orders in.

This is where I am. It's getting legitimately hostile in a lot of these threads.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm with you OP.

I not even going to engage with someone that can look at a console with a 10 or 12 TF GPU and tell me that it's somehow wanting.

I'm excited for the next console gen, and yeah, I'm thrilled that we have no less than three manufacturers that are all carving out a slice of it. Bring it on!

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
It's more for people who can't afford both at launch. Have to feel I'm buying the absolute best option, and the other option is of course dog shit.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Sony is dangerously undersized in almost every category they operate within apart from Sony Music and their cameras division. I wouldn't really celebrate for them.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
Agree. After 20 years of competition and ups and downs, the Big 3 are clearly shining on each other today.

Oct 27, 2017
Given what's currently going on, you have to be absolutely tone deaf to come out and think right now is a good time to celebrate the health video game corporations. Yes, as a gamer I am excited for many things in pipeline. Assuming my myself and the people I care about aren't fucking dead in the coming year.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your post screams "I really need to stop talking".

That's not how business works.

What is this shit. You don't agree with my opinion so I have to be quiet? Lol piss off.

Nothing I've said isn't fact. I'm sorry I offended you by stating facts about your favourite billion dollar corporation.

Actually looks like you're a troll account. Ignore.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of the console makers are pushing for any huge controversial decisions to really rally against or be upset about. Only some iffy decisions here and there that won't ruffle anyone's feathers in the short or long run.

I'm sure once the consoles are shown off with a price tag and the services are revealed there will be some sort of war or debate amongst fans.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
What is this shit. You don't agree with my opinion so I have to be quiet? Lol piss off.

Nothing I've said isn't fact. I'm sorry I offended you by stating facts about your favourite billion dollar corporation.

Actually looks like you're a troll account. Ignore.
From an outside perspective, youre the troll account. You spouted a blatant false fact (sold half of the 360, which isnt true, the one is over 50 million). Xbox doesnt measure success by how many consoles theyve sold. All they care about is that you play their games or use gamepass, whether that be on their consoles, pc, or xcloud is irrelevant to them.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think a lot of people are measuring numbers and getting caught up on MS, but they really have been flourishing regardless of their numbers. They literally bought like 8 studios in the past 2-3 years. That's nuts.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
The best part is there are more options with how to play games than ever before too.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
This this this. All three platforms are healthy. I don't see why people are so fixated over which side is "winning" when from my perspective everyone seems to be winning.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. SSDs, raytracing, and 3D audio are all about to become more common and hopefully be defaults that are used by everyone.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
lol at the people saying xbox isnt healthy. Its currently in a HUGE resurgence, acquired many new game studios, and has the best specs for next gen. As well as having the better value and services. (gamepass, BC, etc)

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm really excited that both consoles are pushing all this new tech which could only lead to an incredible generation. We're most likely getting a leap larger than we did this gen.

All this console warring is exhausting.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I'd take the PS3 era over this. Sony were on fire with the PS3 and PSP despite a slow start for the PS3. My favourite era of Sony for sure, though Vita was my favourite handheld. Microsoft were in their best place in the glory days of the 360. Nintendo had the Wii and the DS. It was good shit.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely.

Nintendo smashed it with the Switch, creating some iconic games early on, and they still have to deliver with BotW2, Metroid, Bayonetta and more. Given the Switch has at least 2-3 more years, I can see many more bombs to be dropped.

MS has never been of interest to me, but their effort going into next-gen is incredible: the XsX looks like a beast, the studios acquistitions are promising, the messaging clear, and the investment in GamePass/xCloud is very forwardthinking. I do not plan on buying an Xbox, but if the tech will be there, I will gladly try their titles on GamePass+xCloud streaming.

Sony is going to have an oustanding final year for the PS4. The PS%, while the recent messaging for next-gen has been baffling, looks to be incredible, and the games will be absolutely mind blowing, you just know it. I only hope that they foster their talent even more (create 2nd teams for estabilished studios, or acquire something) and give us New IPs or Remakes/Reimaginings instead of focusing on sequels.

3rd parties also are healthy as fuck: Capcom is back, Square Enix is in an incredibly solid position, Ubisoft is as strong and prolific as ever, Bethesda has a wide range of titles to differentiate itself from just the Fallout/TES branding, we have many more indie publishers and so on. Let's hope that EA also learn some lessons from Anthem's flop and Fallen Order success.

Next-gen will probably start firing on all cylinders.right out of the gate.

My only fear is that these people don't rest on their butts.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Preach it. I'm having more fun with the hobby than I have in quite a while. Just look at all the great well-received games released within the past couple weeks/tomorrow.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
It's not enough for my toy to be good, I need everyone else's toy to be bad so I can feel better about myself.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell OP, you think everyone deserves to be happy and no matter what console you choose you'll be having a great time?????

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
lol at the people saying xbox isnt healthy. Its currently in a HUGE resurgence, acquired many new game studios, and has the best specs for next gen. As well as having the better value and services. (gamepass, BC, etc)

I wish/hope Microsoft support (south east) asian region next gen :'(

Even simple stuff like regional pricing, local currency for payment, availablity of gift card will do wonder.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Actually, no. I always like to use some screenshot of a upcoming, exciting game as my background, but lately I had too much trouble finding something that I was excited about. The more exciting ones that I found were remakes, like resident evil 2 and ff 7.

I feel like we are in a time were we have to believe executives promising the new console will be a big jump, promising the sequel to that game will live up to your expectations, promising studio just bought won't be closed or deliver worse games.

The only current fact is that slave labor is being used to enrich these companies. Can't really champion the industry like that.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
aBZVrIn.jpg

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice, but I guess the df threads will still be a mess like ps4/xone. But I think Nintendo is the coolest, they are just doing their thing and chillin. It's like they are in their own world lol. I hope they will stick to the switch approach. Loving my switch and somehow I don't care that it's not powerful in comparison to ps/xbox

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From an outside perspective, youre the troll account. You spouted a blatant false fact (sold half of the 360, which isnt true, the one is over 50 million). Xbox doesnt measure success by how many consoles theyve sold. All they care about is that you play their games or use gamepass, whether that be on their consoles, pc, or xcloud is irrelevant to them.

Show me the announcement where MS announced they'd sold 50 million units?

As far as I was aware it was closer to 40 million but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Show me the announcement where MS announced they'd sold 50 million units?

As far as I was aware it was closer to 40 million but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Since xbox stopped reporting sales a while ago, we have to go off of industry analysts, which i know might not be the greatest source, but Daniel Ahmad is super well known. And i dont think its too far fetched to say that gamepass and the general turnaround has helped it bump up to 50 million
twitter.com

Daniel Ahmad on Twitter

“@VascoCruz1 @DomsPlaying Xbox One is over 50m. It's just AMD using a round number. 150m+”

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I wouldn't describe Xbox as healthy tbh. They've sold less than half the amount of consoles of their main competitors, half the amount of their own last gen console and they've even fallen behind the company with a disastrous last product (Nintendo).

They're in a decent position for starting next gen though with the studios they've purchased, Series X and Game Pass.
They had a bad start but they are doing pretty well right now. Anyone with an Xbox will tell you it's a great value. And 50 millions sold isn't bad. And as you say tbey are in a decent position for next gen and that's part of what OP is saying. All three are looking good right now.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
How crazy is it that the Madbox console and Google Stadia, two products people thought would try to take over the industry both completely faded/flopped.

Glad the big three and pc gaming are doing well and are focusing on doing better what they do best. Microsoft is the biggest comeback of the overall generation but Sony just killed the gen like no one saw coming, switch being a hit is amazing after the Wii U and Nintendo still delivers consistently on games. Pc gaming is a star as well with nearly everyone supporting it now almost as though they all realize how it's beneficial to everyone rather then being direct competitors.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I mean I'd take the PS3 era over this. Sony were on fire with the PS3 and PSP despite a slow start for the PS3. My favourite era of Sony for sure, though Vita was my favourite handheld. Microsoft were in their best place in the glory days of the 360. Nintendo had the Wii and the DS. It was good shit.
My favorite gen as well but I preferred the psp lol, the biggest difference for me though that I like about this gen and the one we're going into over the 7th gen is that everyone is getting better because of each other whereas I felt everyone before only focused on themselves. The industry is moving forward together now it feels like.