• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
f44675d3-a22b-4338-8m6k17.jpeg

Contrary to conventional wisdom, the best-selling consumer electronics products aren't necessarily a company's latest or highest-end products; mass-market customers often gravitate instead towards affordable models with good enough performance. That's the reason console makers keep last-generation models around after launching superior sequels: as long as there's a promise of at least token continued support, "old" hardware is still viable.

Yesterday, Sony officially embraced that strategy for its 2.5-year-old virtual reality headset PlayStation VR, and in so doing may have saved a great device from an unnecessarily early death. PSVR has spent almost half of its relatively short life clouded by premature discussions of a sequel, and it's clear that many potential PSVR customers considered the investment a leap of faith — particularly at the tail end of the PlayStation 4's life cycle.
Even so, PSVR managed to become the world's most popular tethered VR headset: over 4.2 million units had been sold as of last month, with continued sales attributable to price drops and an increasingly spectacular software catalog. Yet with an installed base of over 90 million PlayStation 4s, the VR headset clearly could be selling even better. With a mass-market-friendly $199 price tag, the only thing it was missing was a guaranteed future.

By confirming yesterday that the PlayStation 5 won't arrive this year, and that it will continue to be PSVR-compatible, Sony's senior PlayStation system architect Mark Cerny effectively threw the PSVR the lifeline it has needed for at least a year. While the announcement doesn't preclude Sony from launching a more powerful PSVR 2 in the future, it makes clear that the 80-plus-million PlayStation 4 owners without PSVRs can buy in now without fear of wasting their money.

Importantly, Cerny went even further, promising that the next PlayStation will be able to play PS4 games — an explicit promise that PSVR software purchased today will work on next year's machine. Since PS3 owners didn't get that sort of guarantee with the PS4, it's a big deal for PS4 users to get that assurance with the PS5, and gives everyone reasons to continue spending money on Sony software.

More in this link

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
A PSVR2 is inevitable, and that's a great thing. Regardless, having compatibility for the 1st one is good. I do wonder if that'll just be limited to mostly PS4 BC, though.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yes, continuity will be a big incentive for existing PSVR owners to continue invest in games while at least encourage people without VR yet to not reject it.

I myself, am exciting to play Astrobot and its sequel on PSVR2.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it was necessary and cutting off PSVR at PS5 would have been a completely unforced error.

I suspect it won't be too hard to carry forward PSVR1 support in PS5 games (not just BC). Look at the PCVR marketplace, tons of very different headsets, mostly all supported all the time.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
A PSVR2 is inevitable, and that's a great thing. Regardless, having compatibility for the 1st one is good. I do wonder if that'll just be limited to mostly PS4 BC, though.

the hardware is also compatible with PS5 so at least even if someone am not upgrading to a newer headset, he or she can still use the existing one without incurring additional cost.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR's biggest problem is that audiences don't seem all that interested in it, and that it lacks software that captures the imagination of mainstream culture.

Seems like a weird bit of Sony cheerleading/clickbaiting here. Oculus and Vive both promise future compatibility with purchased software, and it really hasn't enhanced their prospects.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The continuity is so important, but frankly I don't see it so much as a decision to be celebrated so much as to be expected. I can't even imagine how awful it would have been if Sony decided to pass on BC for either the PS4 library or VR hardware. Developers who invested themselves in the medium deserve this support, bar minimum.

Nov 23, 2017
VR's biggest problem is that audiences don't seem all that interested in it, and that it lacks software that captures the imagination of mainstream culture.

Seems like a weird bit of Sony cheerleading/clickbaiting here. Oculus and Vive both promise future compatibility with purchased software, and it really hasn't enhanced their prospects.
This tired argument. You know you're posting it in a thread about an extremely successful project

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I think this is a really good point.
People can buy the hardware and know it has a future. They can buy VR games and know they will be playable for the next ten years on the (then) current platform.

...I would like better controls, though.
Still not a fan of the wands. :)

Nov 30, 2017
Great news. You could pretty much tell therr was going to be a PSVR2 after watching state of play.

Love VR gaming and Sonys commitment to it.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
It's the main reason why i hold off from buying the psvr. Now it's safe to get one knowing the PS5 will support it.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Hope they at least have better controllers to use with the headset. Move not having an analog stick really holds some games back.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This tired argument. You know you're posting it in a thread about an extremely successful project

Who said it wasn't successful?

More to the point though, who said that VR's biggest problem is peoples' worry that one particular headset model might become obsolete when a new console is released? There's probably a dozen bigger issues with the tech. The poor Move controls and the irritating, unstoppable drift are arguably much worse problems, and Sony basically just transported them to a new generation by committing to support this half-baked setup for another decade.

Nov 23, 2017
Most important thing they need to communicate is that they realize they need to do better on Moves, even if it's for this holiday and primarily for psvr1. If they had better tracking I honestly think the set punches way above it's weight.

Feb 10, 2018
Sony have a good attitude with VR. Other companies (including a past Sony) would of canned it by now.
But sony knows its a long con and they are sticking with it and fighting through the hard times.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Well yea, new headset won't be till like 2022 with probably new controllers the year after launch. No way they announce a new headset close to launch when the PS5 gonna cost like 500.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Sony got rid of the wires and improved the Move controllers by promising PS5 support?

...I mean, that's the biggest problem for me anyway. With how cheap you can get PSVR on sale these days it honestly wouldn't impact my decision to purchase or not if you could only use it on PS4. But then, I'm already a VR adopter (HTC Vive), so who knows if I'm atypical.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
When VR becomes truly ready, it will be a blockbuster right?

I can see so many grannies taking virtual tours of famous cities and gramps going on virtual roller coasters

Educational games could be so big too. You dont even have to make games, just videos too

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS Move live another generation, no one see that coming.
I wonder how they handle the input method going forward, assuming PSVR2 will come with new controller and DS5 will be different.
Can you use move for PSVR2 headset? Can you use new controller with PSVR1 headset?

Nov 30, 2017
Also it looks like they are baking it into the PS5. I hope that means 2 will be cheaper.

I think the biggest hurdle has been price. I bought mine at launch at $500 for the whole package (cam and two move controllers)

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
PS Move live another generation, no one see that coming.
I wonder how they handle the input method going forward, assuming PSVR2 will come with new controller and DS5 will be different.
Can you use move for PSVR2 headset? Can you use new controller with PSVR1 headset?

i hope there's at least new controllers that will work with either headset, the sooner the better too.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely won't be interested in any new hardware if games have to run on current PSVR as well. It's way too early for this kind of back-patting. We don't know anything.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having backwards compatibility with PSVR 1 is definitely a relief. But 6DOF is required for me. And that's hard to do backwards without a kit to upgrade the PSVR1. As it felt like it was just getting started.

Oct 29, 2017
After hearing about Astrobot and wanting to play Superhot I started to get the itch to try out PSVR. it might be a good impulse pick up after the PS5 is out and the price is way lower.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense to me. I'm definitely more likely to get a PSVR now knowing support will carry over to next gen.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
PSVR's biggest Problem ist the tracking. I can't Play the Games the wobble is to annoying

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have a PSVR but I rarely use it. I'm thinking of getting a Fanatec wheel for the PS4, but I'm afraid it won't be usable with the PS5. I'm still burned by the fact that the DFGT was not usable on the PS4.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just want new move controllers so badly, would love a camera with a wider FoV as well. I want to enjoy my PSVR but the tracking and controls are such a frustration.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I'll be interested to see what happens with the camera. Will the PS5 continue to use it and have the special port, or will there be a new, better camera you have to get?

I hope games get upgraded. Imagine, say, RE7 and Skyrim enjoying native 120fps, improved visual effects that at least match the non-VR PS4 versions, better streaming with the SSD, and then maybe some extra pixels for supersampling If there's power left over.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Backward compatibility is great, with an exception. The problems I foresee is if developers try to pander to PSVR1 users for more sales after PSVR2 exists, which will compromise innovative new software that fails to fully utilize PSVR2 capabilities. I guess that's more forward compatibility though. I just imagine it could be a tough scenario making games that are PSVR2 exclusive, which means forward compatibility might be pushed more than I think it should be.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR is a glorified monitor. What do you mean?
PSVR relies on light-based tracking, and only functions correctly when the user is facing the PS Camera. You effectively only have around 180 degrees of space from a standing position to work with, and doing things like walking around and turning your body to look behind you are out of the question (the former because tracking freaks out when you leave the camera's very limited FOV, the latter because blocking your PS Move light bulbs means losing the ability to control those as well).

PSVR2 ideally would allow for a more conventional roomscale tracking method, with sensors like that of Oculus Rift or HTC Vive rather than lights. Lights also lead to a lot of issues with tracking in regards to rooms with vivid paint on the walls when light bounces off of it, and uneven lighting resulting in odd tracking glitches.
Inside out tracking hopefully.
A possibility, and probably the most cost-effective and practical for a variety of home setups.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
With 2019 PSVR software lineup it's good for people that wanted these games but were worried PSVR support would die out. So it really will boost PSVR adoption, also I'm wondering if PS5 will help PSVR use it's display capacity to it's full potential like PS4 Pro improved it. People criticize PSVR for the bluriness and drift but they don't understand it's hardware fault that play a part in this too. If PS5 drops and improves OG PSVR's quality and the new moves are compatible with the old headset I can see a lot of people buying first gen $150 PSVR.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Going to he a great shout for developers to have a large install base off the bat. I just hope Sony doesn't lock down too many psvr exclusives as I would like the PC crowd to be able to enjoy too.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Psvr should be around 7m by holiday 2020. Great idea not dumping the install base.

If PSVR2 gets games like GTA V, Battlefield 3/4 on it then it will have a bright future. Rainbow Six Siege is a must.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah.

Even if there's a transition period where we do see PS5-based VR games for PSVR, if a PSVR2 hits with substantially different tracking or something like eye tracking, I wouldn't expect support indefinitely beyond that point.

On the flip side, with PS4 BC, there's no reason a PSVR2 shouldn't play first gen PSVR software - for people jumping into VR for the first time with PSVR2, that'll be very welcome i think.

I think ps5 modes in new first gen PSVR games would be a good bonus also. In the same way PSVR games can get an IQ boost from PS4 Pro, doing something 'extra' again when running on PS5 would be cool.

Last edited:

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
Purely ancdotal, but I was poised to buy the Quest and I've decided to pick up a PSVR instead. This news of PS5 support was a factor, as was the strength of the existing PSVR library and Sony's clear support for VR going forwards.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But...the biggest problem with PSVR is still that it's really a bad VR solution that was outdated when it launched.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This is transitioning phase. Eventually there will be games that require improved technology in PSVR2. What I get from Cerny's comment is that PS5 will be bc with current PSVR (and its current library) but he didn't say PSVR will have forward compatibility to the next gen VR games.

Last edited:

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It's biggest problem are the vastly inferior Move controllers. And the tracking solution.
So no, they didn't.