• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Dk48KgSU8AAwzpg.jpg

My dude pulled out the "Ive done a bunch of fatalities when the arcade was empty" excuse

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am surprised that they even said anything at all. I guess the reporter pushed for a response, but I really believe in this case Sony was better off not saying anything if they were going to sound like ass.

And really, it is a bad sign. Mostly because I was hoping they were holding back on new crossplay policies for the PS5 reveal. But by doubling down on it now, I am not sure this is on the cards any more.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's going to be a repeat of next gen for sure at first. I had my PS4 since launch but I'm not going to get the ps5 at launch. Now Microsoft has the opportunity to get my money first. I enjoy the Xbox one but I'm holding out on the S and X because I can wait until next gen.

MS has been doing some things right lately, especially on the BC front, but I gotta say, that DRM stuff put a permanent black stain on MS's record for me. It's going to affect my purchasing decisions even in next gen.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It's the biggest factor?? I can concede that it contributes but come on. In what world do most people not care about exclusives? How many people are buying the Switch with no taste for Nintendo games? How many people are buying an Xbox that don't care about Halo or Gears? Out of 80 million ps4s I'm sure some people bought it to play Overwatch with their friends. But let me get back to the point I'm trying to make, Cross Play, would not hurt the ps4, it would only help.

Sales each year are dominated by multiplayer games, even when only looking at individual platform sales. Whether or not this place will admit it, games are increasingly social experiences now, and people want that experience where their friends are. Out of 85 million what's the most universally appealing and best-selling PS3 exclusive sold? Or the best-selling PS4 exclusive? Not even close to what the big MP games sell.

Crossplay would hurt PS4. Say you're a kid in school and 5 of your friends early adopted PS4. Now when it comes to your turn to get a next-gen console you'll have to get a PS4 to play with them - even if you prefer certain things about the XB1 you can't get it or you'll be left out. This was me 10 years ago with the PS3. This was all my friends 3/4 years ago with PS4.

Now imagine this playing out across every school/community around the world (especially considering the PS4 is the market leader in almost every one of those places).

I'll admit Nintendo is a different situation, but anecdotally I'd say most Switches are currently being used as a secondary console.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I know. It's obnoxious that they haven't launched at least one high quality first party game every year since the PS4 launch. And I wish they would at least give us 5 high quality first party games over the next two years, but they aren't....wait a minute.

Thank the lord we are fighting to have a bigger pool of players on Fortnite, that's what really matters.

"In a few key areas."

Take your fucking snark elsewhere. Welcome to my block list.

On topic: I hope the media keeps hawking them about this. They need to understand that we are more important than shareholders. If we dip, they're fucked. I'd like to see them get pushed on things like Early Access and Refunds for digital goods too.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
The hyperbole in these threads.

To be fair, we did need another public comment. Judging by how the other thread died a death.

The console space needs some more competition. Without it, this shit happens.
Did you not read the article? He specifically says competition is good and welcomes more of it. On the particular subject of cross-pay they believe suporting hundreds of millions of mobile and PC devices is essential. Not so much their direction competition with a fraction of that userbase. At the end of the day they are in the business of selling hardware and games. The moment they feel the need to change (if ever) it's the flick of a switch.

I don't know about that but this is definitely a symptom of them not being as forward thinking as they should. They are giving MS crossplay and Game Pass with almost zero fight because they aren't feeling it in the pocket strings yet. They've let PS Now just wither and die when that could have totally beat GP to the punch. I have no doubt MS will beat Sony in streaming tech too even though remote play has floundered about for years. But at the end of the day their brand and first party will carry them through a lot of this so PS5 will be mostly fine.
With services and policies never take anything for granted. And certainly don't build your strategy based on the premise your competitors won't have these. If we've learned anything it's eventually all platform holders have feature parity. There are already rumours PSNow will have a download feature (for PS4 titles). At a stroke that changes the game and will be backed by a catalogue of many thousands.

What's forward thinking is up for debate. Sony entered this gen with #PS4Share, many dismissed it as a gimmick. IMO it's been the single most successful marketing move in decades. Let gamers promote your products. Just right now we see many dismissive comments regarding Sony's PSVR support and praise for Microsoft taking a back seat. Who knows how it will end. Could be a multi-billion dollar industry in the next decade.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
See it isn't Sony's fault, it is MS and Nintendo's fault for not putting their games on PlayStation. You can have crossplay as long as it is with PlayStation as your console to crossplay with non-console decides.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is really blowing it with this

Reminds me of beginning of the gen Xbox related PR, not in scope but response.

Just stop talking about it already geez lol

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhhhhhh you.

Finally I took a breath while I was in the subway going to bus station to travel to my home but that didn't mean I wan't reading the thread.

You find these stats but they didn't discredit what I said and you will need to take my word for that or we can make a little deal to be fair with your hard work.

I don't want to say anything without show proof about what happened... I don't know what you can see ingame but I remember you have some history and saved matches.

The deal I want is pretty simple (and it is a bet if I can find anything on my PS4 so the risk is all on my side) if I can show evidence from my PS4 that the matches happened like it really happened then you will need only apologizes to here.

But if I can't find any evidence then I will apologize to everybody, says I was the wrong one and not talk about SFV cross-play or cross-play in general in ERA even it being all true what I said.

I just need a deadline... not because I'm afraid but because some here knows I'm away from play for close a year (played so little GTS and basically nothing of Destiny 2... two together didn't reach 80 hours)... I'm working in a new Job that takes places in a city 500km from my home without airplane option to travel... so I go home every weekend but I did not have my PS4 in week days.

Said that the deadline will be Tuesday night because I will get my PS4 this weekend, box it to travel, take the bus Sunday night to get at my temporary room on Monday night after the work.., so that will be when I will book my PS4 to check it.

Tuesday is just to be safe if any issue happens on Monday... but if I can get Monday find I will post on Monday.

What do you say? Is it fair to you?

PS. I need your expertise help... the matches people quit when I was winning is not recorded on the site? There are any place I can see them?
3141.jpg

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The average joe didn't care about DRM, the average joe cared about no longer being able to sell/buy/trade old games, which they had been doing for 20+ years. There was that built in expectation, that was now being taken away for no reason that benefited the end consumer. Crossplay has no such expectation. I have to imagine most people buying a Switch or Xbox know they can play with people from other platforms online, or why that can benefit them. Ironically because Sony has the biggest captive audience, they are probably the ones that could turn that into a selling point, which might be a big reason they are stubbornly refusing to do so. As of now they have rejected crossplay in two of the biggest games on the planet and it hasn't realistically caused a dent. It's hard to imagine that changing.

yea you are right about the used games. I just feel next gen when kids need to invest again ...i think cross play will be a factor. specially if marketed right.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wish Sony would just come out and say what they're really thinking... "We want to keep you in our ecosystem, not give you the option to play anywhere else."

Love my PS4 for its exclusives, but I hate Sony's stance on this.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
How is this not a Console Wars debate? And if baiting console wars is okay now than I got to say you fools are out of your mind. The Dreamcast will live again and dominate the entire market with a sterling 56k connection.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
MS has been doing some things right lately, especially on the BC front, but I gotta say, that DRM stuff put a permanent black stain on MS's record for me. It's going to affect my purchasing decisions even in next gen.

...they never implemented it. They changed course before release, and their aborted DRM policy never impacted a single consumer. What's the problem?

Deleted member 15933

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhhhhhh you.

Finally I took a breath while I was in the subway going to bus station to travel to my home but that didn't mean I wan't reading the thread.

You find these stats but they didn't discredit what I said and you will need to take my word for that or we can make a little deal to be fair with your hard work.

I don't want to say anything without show proof about what happened... I don't know what you can see ingame but I remember you have some history and saved matches.

The deal I want is pretty simple (and it is a bet if I can find anything on my PS4 so the risk is all on my side) if I can show evidence from my PS4 that the matches happened like it really happened then you will need only apologizes to here.

But if I can't find any evidence then I will apologize to everybody, says I was the wrong one and not talk about SFV cross-play or cross-play in general in ERA even it being all true what I said.

I just need a deadline... not because I'm afraid but because some here knows I'm away from play for close a year (played so little GTS and basically nothing of Destiny 2... two together didn't reach 80 hours)... I'm working in a new Job that takes places in a city 500km from my home without airplane option to travel... so I go home every weekend but I did not have my PS4 in week days.

Said that the deadline will be Tuesday night because I will get my PS4 this weekend, box it to travel, take the bus Sunday night to get at my temporary room on Monday night after the work.., so that will be when I will book my PS4 to check it.

Tuesday is just to be safe if any issue happens on Monday... but if I can get Monday find I will post on Monday.

PS. I need your expertise help... the matches people quit when I was winning is not recorded on the site? There are any place I can see them?
You got murdered, dude. You have to wait for the next thread to try again, it's the rules.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
yea you are right about the used games. I just feel next gen when kids need to invest again ...i think cross play will be a factor. specially if marketed right.

That's the thing with how important/frequent digital and/or service games are, next gen is going to be much less of a reset than it has in the past. People are locked into their ecosystems in various ways, it's going to take a huge shift to get people to move into a new one, and I just don't see crossplay becoming a big enough shift, at least not big enough to overpower the amount of time and money people have invested in a platform. Where Sony can really fuck this up is if they fail to deliver on that continuity of progress/software. That is the kind of DRM level fuck up that can open the door for the competition.

Oct 30, 2017

These kids are already invested in Fortnite or their gaming library on PS4. If PS5 is fully backwards compatible, and Fortnite etc let's you play cross play between PS4-PS5 and you retain your progress why would these people start all over again and buy a Xbox 2. Sony have the bigger playerbase and they will keep them locked in their ecosystem with backwards compatibility and cross compatability and progression with all GaaS games.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First of all.

You've played a grand total of 8 SFV games online since Feb. 16th 2016.

You've lost 6 and won 2. You have 0 points.

Is it that PC players cheat, or you're just not very good?

In fact your 2 wins came against PC players. It seems you've played 6 games against PC players and only 2 against PS4 players. Is that enough for you to decide that those PC players are cheating and it's not a lag issue?

Second, other users informed you that what you described as cheating, was actually lag. You said that you haven't noticed it after you turned off crossplay, yet your last opponent was a PC player.

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/profile/ethomaz

ethomaz.png
Jesus Christ I'm calling the fucking police! Don't you fucking move, Jaded.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhhhhh you.

full

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
The arguments for cheating and control advantages for PC vs. console crossplay are quickly falling to the wayside. Hacking PS4 is now possible, it wouldn't surprise me if some were able to use cheats somehow. And Fortnite recently (or is going to) split controller and M/KB users into separate matchmaking pools on console.

Crossplay makes more sense now than it did a few months ago.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
...they never implemented it. They changed course before release, and their aborted DRM policy never impacted a single consumer. What's the problem?

It was the nightmare scenario. The apocalypse. It was the worst thing that could ever have happened to gaming. And they only went back on it because of the huge backlash. MS doesn't deserve any credit for the DRM debacle.

And how do you know that somewhere deep down there, they don't want to try it again?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I played SFV for thousands of hours. I play against Pc guys just fine...weird things happening...Omnicloud = PSN

But on the other side, some of you guys care too much. I love PS and the Sony brand in general. It's not hard to just get an Xbox if it's the best place to play next gen. Just switch to who's the best every gen, no reason for all this worry about who's going down and who's going up. I mean it doesn't affect your real life when you think about it. It is fun to speculate tho, I made a thread on it. But if you really feel like saying F off to a company, hmmmmm...I dunno if that's healthy lol.

Until majority of games are cross play, not sure ppl care. Can you play IOS and google play games together? Genuine question btw.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean...the PlayStation 4 isn't even the best console on the market, it just had the best library. Cross platform games are arguably worse on PS4 than the other consoles.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
how is it a console war debate?

It was a joke brah. Chilax.

Ohhhhhhh you.

LOL. The person doth protest too much, methinks. Just go on Fiverr and get some photo editing nerd to doctor some off screen cellphone shots for you and call it a day. #staywinning

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How is this not a Console Wars debate? And if baiting console wars is okay now than I got to say you fools are out of your mind. The Dreamcast will live again and dominate the entire market with a sterling 56k connection.

How is it a console wars debate? Sony have some daft policy that is affecting the PS4 audience and then they continue to come out and make stupid statements to come and justify it. In a world where that PS4 audience is so bloody large, how is this not gonna be a legitimate talking point and topic of discussion? It's not one side making some shit up to shit on 'the other side'. It's Sony shitting on their own customers. As a PS4 owner, I say fuck that. If you're gonna have such an ass backwards policy at least be honest about the reason. Don't come out with 'we have the best place to play and must protect that'. Because that's a lie. They're actively making their own platform the worst place to play certain games.

Also, I am very ok with a next gen Dreamcast dominated market ;)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't think publishers like Ubisoft, Activision, WB, and EA are going to do that.

To be fair, EA have already said that they'd like to (regarding FIFA). They said it'd be a net positive for gamers. No movement towards them actually doing it, but they've shown interest. Unfortunately, the PS4 version of FIFA is the only one they could really crossplay with (if it wasn't for Sony's policy). The Switch version is a different game.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's one of those advertising lies that's not technically a lie because it can't be disproven but it's a total fucking lie.

Bold idiocy and arrogance. Yeeeeesh.

GIF-oh-my-god-OMG-shock-shocked-GIF.gif

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean...the PlayStation 4 isn't even the best console on the market, it just had the best library. Cross platform games are arguably worse on PS4 than the other consoles.
It was the best console on the market, hardware-wise, for 4 years. It got beat by a console that launched 4 years later and costs $100 more than the PS4 Pro. Now Sony let mostly the games talk. I mean hey, they're good.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just saying they spent 4 years building up their install base to around double the next closest one. It doesn't matter if they aren't the best console now. They were when they were building up that lead.

Cool for Sony. Genuinely happy for them. Shit for PS4 owners that don't want the worst version of Fortnite and Minecraft on their console.

Status
Not open for further replies.