• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/legal/cancellation-policy/
https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Requesting-a-Refund?language=en_US

Just updated today, even though its Aprils Fools its also the first day of Sony's new fiscal year.

To sum up, pretty much everything can be refunded up to 14 days after purchase if you haven't downloaded it. If you have downloaded it you can get a refund if the "product is faulty". Which I guess means shit like causes crashes.

Also preorders can be cancelled now as well.

And name changes seem to still be coming.

Games, game add-ons, season passes, in-game consumables and PlayStation™Video titles

You can cancel a digital content purchase within 14 days from the date of purchase and receive a refund to your PSN wallet, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming it.
Digital content that you have started downloading or streaming, and in-game consumables that have been delivered, are not eligible for a refund unless the content is faulty.
You can cancel your purchase of a season pass within 14 days from the date of purchase and receive a refund to your PSN wallet, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming any digital content (e.g. game add-ons) included in the season pass.
If you purchase in-game consumables on the PlayStation™Store, they will be delivered when you next launch the game, until then you will have up to 14 days from the date of transaction to cancel. If you purchase in-game consumables during gameplay, they will be delivered immediately so you will not be able to cancel the purchase. In-game consumables are items such as virtual currencies (e.g. FIFA packs or GTA Cash Packs), boosts and other items that are depleted during gameplay.

Pre-Orders
You may cancel a pre-order of digital content at any time before the release date and receive a refund to your PSN wallet. If the release date has passed, you can still change your mind and request a refund to your wallet up to 14 days after payment was taken for the pre-order, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming the content to your device.
If you have started to download the main part of the order, you will not be able to request a refund. Please be aware that downloads will happen automatically if Automatic Downloads are enabled in your system settings. To turn off Automatic Downloads, head to [Settings] > [System] > [Automatic Downloads] and untick the checkbox next to "Application Update Files".
If you have not started to download the main product and your order included immediately-accessible extra content, this extra content will stop working if you cancel your pre-order and you will receive a refund to your PSN wallet. If no additional content was included, you will receive a refund to the original payment method where possible*.
*We are unable to do this for certain payment methods. In those cases, the refund will be sent to your PSN wallet.
You may have additional refund rights under applicable local law for pre-order purchases if the release date changes; nothing in the summary above or below limits any such rights under local law.

Subscription Services

PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, and Spotify Premium
You can cancel your purchase of a subscription to PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now or Spotify Premium service and request a refund to your PSN wallet within 14 days from the initial transaction date, even after you start using the subscription. The refund may be reduced pro-rata to reflect the use you have had of the service. This may show as two transactions in your account transaction history: a refund to your wallet of the full amount originally paid and then a debit of a charge for the period of the service you received.
If you take advantage of a free trial when you sign up to a service, the 14-day cancellation period will commence on the day we accept your order of the free trial and the duration of the free trial will be included in the 14-day period. For example, if you sign up for a free trial which lasts 7 days and your wallet is debited for the subscription at the end of the trial, you will have 7 days after your wallet was debited to cancel.
Note: When you purchase PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now or Spotify Premium subscription service, you agree to a rolling subscription with periodic billing (e.g., annual billing). You can stop making payments at any time by turning off [Auto-renewal] (click here for more information) but, beyond the initial 14-day cancellation period, you will not receive a refund for payments already made. When you turn off [Auto-renewal], your subscription will continue until the next payment is due, at which point it will end.

Change of Online ID
You cannot cancel or obtain a refund for your purchase of a change of online ID.

How to request a Refund to your PSN wallet
If you would like to request a refund to your PSN wallet, please contact support.

Also, if you are playing a game and its crashing a lot make sure to send in your crash reports. I'd bet this will help with refunding faulty games.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Step in the right direction, but I'd prefer if they matched something like Steam's policy.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
At least that 'one free refund per account' bullshit will stop now. Steam is still much better with the ability to play the game up to two hours, and MS is also more generous when you find out the game just wasn't for you.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You can cancel your purchase of a subscription to PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now or Spotify Premium service and request a refund to your PSN wallet within 14 days from the initial transaction date, even after you start using the subscription.

This is really good.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That's great. Yeah my GF's PSN got hacked last week and somebody bought a few games. From all the horror stories I heard I assumed she'd have to chargeback and bail on the account but Sony had no problem refunding her.

Oct 27, 2017
This is better than a kick in the balls but still not good enough. Why the fuck would I buy something and not start downloading it immediately?!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So still some stuff lacking from this like 2 hour period in game to allow refunds, but this is a good start.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Alright apparently it's coming to LATAM too, that's great. Funnily enough, the Latin American article mentioned PS Now while the service is unavailable here, could it arrive soon? I hope so

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This is better than a kick in the balls but still not good enough. Why the fuck would I buy something and not start downloading it immediately?!

Well, everyone's different.

Usually when I buy stuff, I buy it from webstore and don't start downloading til later. In fact I still have a couple of purchases 'undownloaded' from some time back, to my shame.

Can only return digital if it's faulty? Fuck out of here Sony. Dont punish me for going digital.

I don't follow. The whole policy is for digital. That is, you can refund up to 14 days after if you haven't downloaded, regardless of whether it's faulty or not. Or thereafter if it is faulty.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you buy something digitally and download it immediately if you didn't want it? This refund policy does include a provision for if the game is broken.

"Digital content that you have started downloading or streaming, and in-game consumables that have been delivered, are not eligible for a refund unless the content is faulty."

Hopefully we will see this policy evolve, but its a good start.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
So still some stuff lacking from this like 2 hour period in game to allow refunds, but this is a good start.
Yeah that wouldn't work with dlc and mtx and this seems to be a blanket policy on all digital purchases. Maybe they'll add that eventually for game purchases.

What's MS and Nintendo's policy on digital refunds that you've played? Is it 2 hrs as well or is that just steam?

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This refund policy has been a thing in the UK (might be all of the EU) for a while know. Did the US not have it till now?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Buyer's remorse is a thing and I'd be more likely to take risks on your store if I can return my license and get a refund if I don't like it. They can intergrate a way to track playtime via the PS5 and make it available for PS5 purchases only if it can't be done with the PS4.
They can even just block you for refunds if you do it too much.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
So they still charge the full amount immediately for preorders? That's honestly my biggest problem since MS and Amazon don't. Not sure what Nintendo does since I don't have a Switch.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Great! It's about time for pre-orders and subscriptions honestly. But about the many complaints here and the "not good enough", what are you expecting?
Personally, I'd see an automatic refund if you played less than 15 minutes or something along those lines.
And the "punishing me for going digital"...
Do you guys get a refund in store if the game is opened just because you didn't like it? I have yet to experience that. At Costco maybe ?

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Good change. Where was this when I tried to get a refund for anthem tho : /. Still, better late than never especially going into next gen

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Do we know the actual reason behind the name change issues?

Did Sony use our actual usernames as the PSN primary keys?

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you can't get a refund to your original payment method? A bit weird lol. So yeah, it's quite better than absolutely nothing, but it could be way better.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Allowing preorders to be canceled is really the best part of this. It was really the most egregious part of their previous policy, that I'm happy to see they've finally rectified.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know the actual reason behind the name change issues?

Did Sony use our actual usernames as the PSN primary keys?

If I had to guess they used the username in multiple 'tables' and views. Either way, the fact it's taken so long for something even with millions of rows, seems strange.