• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Thanks to gofreak and anexanhume for the finding

sFhEIdpjf0PBvlqXZhBsMw1MVzUxPMoPPV4gH5XGwhXzLTmde0Sqc3SP29uj0qys0O01Qba9kDHVUHWyJPB6BWSSQ-HkQBoBh8fn6k9SGQnh5PmGwa_61Wvjm_HxqNi54zH8znnVZSkyFj6Z2W0WZBSrWxizD3a_85XqxUE8K38

The present invention provides a structure in which a metal having fluidity is utilized as a heat conductive material. In this structure, a heat conductive material is prevented from invading an unintended region even when a positional change of a semiconductor device occurs or a vibration occurs. This electronic apparatus has a heat conductive material (31) formed between a heat radiator (50) and a semiconductor chip (11). The heat conductive material (31) has fluidity at least when the semiconductor chip (11) is in operation. The heat conductive material (31) has electroconductivity. The heat conductive material (31) is surrounded by a seal member (33). A capacitor (16) is covered by an insulating section (15).

It seems ASus will use to liquid metal for future laptop, thanks to androvsky

EDIT:
www.extremetech.com

Asus Will Use Liquid Metal Thermal Paste in Its Laptops - ExtremeTech

Asus will adopt liquid metal thermal paste on its Intel 10th Gen laptops, to improve cooling temperatures -- and help handle the heat.

Last edited:

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
So the PS5 is Metal Gear?

Looking forward to the teardown and explanation of the cooling tech. I'm sure they did plenty to ensure they did not have a repeat of the PS4 Pro fan situation.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Cerny implied back in the Road to PS5 video that there would be a tear down video showing the cooling solution.

Hopefully that's something that is still planned.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Thank you Sony for inventing Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut!

Liquid metal is a thermal paste replacement, all they need to do in order to implement it is making sure the cooler design doesn't let any of the liquid metal spill out. When regular thermal paste spills out nothing happens, but when liquid metal spills out, your machine turns into a very expensive paperweight.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Liquid metal is a thermal paste replacement, all they need to do in order to implement it is making sure the cooler design doesn't let any of the liquid metal spill out. When regular thermal paste spills out nothing happens, but when liquid metal spills out, your machine turns into a very expensive paperweight.

OK, this all makes sense now. I had just never heard the term before.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Liquid metal is used for delid usually if i'm not wrong

You will get better temps than regular thermal paste.

I really hope PS5 is quiet....im in hell now with my PS4 lmao

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Yoooooooo if they actual use liquid metal in this thing like I do in my PC then I'm very very optimistic! My 5.2GHz i7 8700 idles at 30 Celcius & maxes out under 65-70 full load! >:)

This is by far the most HYPE potential PS5 news I've read since that insane system I/O throughput. :O

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Want bad thermal paste a main reason for some ps4 bring very loud?

They seem to really want to fix it

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
What keeps it from dripping and running off the cpu?

In the patent diagram they've insulated the exposed capacitors on the CPU package, and placed some sealing material around the core. If there were any excess that were to drip off around the core, it wouldn't be able to cause any harm.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

That's the bit the patent is actually concerned with - the design of the structure to to keep the liquid metal where it should be, and robust to vibration, turning your PS5 horizontal/vertical etc.

The short of it is, liquid metal is a better option than regular thermal paste, if a little pricier. It's a not uncommon improvement people make in their PCs to improve thermals. It kind of makes sense given the clocks Sony is going for, should help keep the chip cooler.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Look at the patent picture in the OP.

Custom side walls [33] that prevent liquid leaking away, and an insulator layer [15] that is protecting capacitors [16] that have to be present immediately on the side of the APU.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhh. With the patent and everything I thought this was some sort of new closed-loop system with mercury or something. What is arctic silver considered?
Arctic Silver is just a conventional thermal paste. Most of liquid metal TIMs are usually hardcore-enthusiast only, do to the complexities of it's application (ex. it MUST be spread over the CPU unlike conventional pastes which can spread simply through the heatsink's pressure, how it can react to and corrode certain metals like aluminum that are used on heatsinks, etc.)

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Very nice if true. Should be very effective at the expected high thermal density of the PS5. This is was the biggest question I had about their ability to reach the surprisingly high clocks. The first heat spreader surface becomes less and less effective as the watts per mm2 goes up. Drastic measures become necessary.

The previous patent of cooling from both sides was also interesting, and could still be combined with this.

OP
OP
chris 1515

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Thank you Sony for inventing Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut!

The patent is about this how to build the cooling system for the liquid metal to not leak but it meand heatsink is not aluminium because this will corrode the alu maybe copper.

Wait, doesn't liquid metal corrode the material it's placed on over time?

Only aluminium

www.extremetech.com

Asus Will Use Liquid Metal Thermal Paste in Its Laptops - ExtremeTech

Asus will adopt liquid metal thermal paste on its Intel 10th Gen laptops, to improve cooling temperatures -- and help handle the heat.

While this shouldn't be an issue for anyone buying a laptop, we'd like to take a moment to remind you that because Conductonaut contains gallium, it's catastrophically destructive to aluminum and cannot be placed in contact with it. Not many people are going to need this sort of warning, but if you're the kind of enthusiast who promptly takes a laptop apart to regrease it and improve the baseline cooling, be aware of what you're dealing with and take precautions accordingly.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, doesn't liquid metal corrode the material it's placed on over time?

If it was aluminum, probably. Copper or some others, no. Depending on which liquid metal you're talking about, it can stain other metals, but nothing that would affect thermals, unlike aluminium which it could actually corrode.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017