• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
The patent was registered yesterday (26)

A wireless charging adapter that can snap onto a computer game controller can be inductively coupled to a charging base to wirelessly recharge a battery in the controller. The adapter also can include keys that mirror keys on the controller so that a gamer can remove the adapter with controller from the charging base, keep the adapter on the controller, and use both the controller keys and adapter keys to control a computer game.

US20200061456A1 - Wireless charging adapter with game control keys for computer game controller - Google Patents

A wireless charging adapter that can snap onto a computer game controller can be inductively coupled to a charging base to wirelessly recharge a battery in the controller. The adapter also can include keys that mirror keys on the controller so that a gamer can remove the adapter with controller...

US20200061456A1-20200227-D00004.png

US20200061456A1-20200227-D00005.png

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Are we at the point where you can charge while holding the thing so you can play for ever?

That would be cool. Not sure if it is a thing or not though as I never looked into it before.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing this is the DS5 version of the Back Button Attachment. Really cool if this is available at launch.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Good, is probably expensive to be included by default, so just for those interested. And if add on designed at same time as dual sense will probably fit perfectly

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This image from the patent implies there are two back buttons (X and circle) that are not part of the attachment

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
But you still need a cable for the wireless charger.....
lol of course.

The thing I am talking about is that you stick the charger into the wall and then the controller would charge without any cable needed from the controller to the charger/console so you can technically "play forever" without worrying about wires or any battery.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That's some Nicola Tesla level shit right there.

The loss of energy in emitting some sort of field of wireless charging has to be pretty significant. I wonder how they get around that problem.

It's sad at some point people will not even know who Tesla was and just remember Elon Musk's company instead.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Would be cool if they implement the base on top of the ps5. But i guess that would scratch it and also raise costs So they will probably make it as a stand alone

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The loss of energy in emitting some sort of field of wireless charging has to be pretty significant. I wonder how they get around that problem.

It's sad at some point people will not even know who Tesla was and just remember Elon Musk's company instead.
To be clear, they haven't. Nobody has gotten to the point where wireless energy transfer over a distance is a product suitable for home use. That's a conversation above where someone didn't quite grasp how that would work, not a statement that Sony or anyone have been able to create this technology.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if they implement the base on top of the ps5. But i guess that would scratch it and also raise costs So they will probably make it as a stand alone
We want a cool PlayStation. Wireless charging generates a fuck ton of heat (ever wirelessly charged your phone, yelp) No way it would be included in the device as that would ruin any gains in making a cool, efficient system.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Doesn't wireless charging waste a lot more energy than plugging the device in? Or has the technology developed enough for that to change?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I mean charging without wire but while using the controller. I remember seeing chargers where you put the phone on a square charger and it will charge as long as it is on it.

Sony has some patents where they've been looking into that, but no word on actual products yet:

dims.jpg

www.engadget.com

Sony applies for wireless power patent, wants to daisy-chain your energy

As much as we're familiar with wireless power, we know developing a truly contact-free form of charging has a whole raft of extra challenges, such as getting into the sweet spot for power delivery and the potential traffic jam caused by throwing another device into the mix. Sony thinks it has...

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
To be clear, they haven't. Nobody has gotten to the point where wireless energy transfer over a distance is a product suitable for home use. That's a conversation above where someone didn't quite grasp how that would work, not a statement that Sony or anyone have been able to create this technology.

Ah fair enough, I misread that post too, appreciate the correction.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017

This image from the patent implies there are two back buttons (X and circle) that are not part of the attachment

Good catch, the buttons are already on the controller, the wireless charging peripheral is on the mid section of the controller. Hmmm so the dual sense already comes with the buttons/paddles

nvm 212 (240 is the actual dual sense without the attachment) on the bottom image is the attachment itself, so it covers the back of the controller since power needs to come from the top (instead of the bottom like the DualShock)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Wonder if the reason we haven't seen the back of the controller is cause of this. Would be great for a standard controller to finally include back buttons/paddles.
Whether they would be customisable buttons (like DS4 attachment and XBO Elite) or actual additional buttons would be interesting. Like, I'd love it if the latter and you could assign additional commands rather than just remapping existing buttons.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
This already exists by third party manufacturers, although it's just for charging. I bought one because the charger is tiny and low profile, you can slide it anywhere, especially compared to the official DS4 chargers. Cost me 30€ and works really well.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whether they would be customisable buttons (like DS4 attachment and XBO Elite) or actual additional buttons would be interesting. Like, I'd love it if the latter and you could assign additional commands rather than just remapping existing buttons.
The patent states that they're reassignable. It's good for a11y if nothing else

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I wish they would just build in wireless charging into the controllers.
Everything comes at a cost though. Even if just a few dollars on to the BOM, could mean a sacrifice has to be made elsewhere, eg haptics, or the console audio processor. Constant costing juggling act when developing the full console+controller package.

Definitely looks like Sony has had a laser focus on QoL/UX features for PS5 though, these features and benefits are an easier sell than just "better graphics". So will be interesting to see how this patent manifests in to the PS5 offering.