• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Those digital sales this quarter say it all. There is no company in the world not paying attention to that kind of revenue and wanting that to continue as uninterrupted as possible.

I'm only expecting PS4 games and the PS2 classics already emulated by PS4 by default.

but if they manage to actually leverage their huge library install base over multiple gens through other platforms...? oh boy, that's a different discussion entirely

Nov 8, 2017
Note that Ps4 did not include CD hardware for Ps4 as a cost saving measure so I would not get my hopes up for an epic PS1-4 BC system.

As per df video, also note that patents are only sometimes seen through to commercial application.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's proper BC, though, playing off the inserted media.

The way Xbox does it is fine, great even, considering the alternative may very well be nothing.
But using the media as simply a hardware key to download the game off the store isn't proper BC in my eyes (but it's fine as an extra option).

I know there's little chance of getting what I want, but still.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
If PS3 backwards compatibility happens then wouldn't they keep using them for PSN +games?

I know it'll probably end up being just PS4 games

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Usually, a patent by itself doesn't mean much. Sony, in particular, has had some crazy controller patents that they never acted upon (or at least sold to the public that is).

That said, if this comes from Cerny himself, there may be some merit to the idea that this will be used sooner rather than later. We'll see.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ppl act as if previous Sony systems didnt offer bc and it will be a first for Sony 🤔 I know some love this and options are always good but it will and has never been a deal breaker for the masses.

Sony will deff be offering bc however and I look forward to see how thy implement it.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 15m copies.
Remaster money is too lucrative for Sony, I doubt they will support BC, at lease not for free.
Watch them ask users to rebuy their library on PS5.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Those digital sales this quarter say it all. There is no company in the world not paying attention to that kind of revenue and wanting that to continue as uninterrupted as possible.

I'm only expecting PS4 games and the PS2 classics already emulated by PS4 by default.

but if they manage to actually leverage their huge library install base over multiple gens through other platforms...? oh boy, that's a different discussion entirely

Exactly. Build that cross-generation ecosystem, entrench those who spend the most like never before.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
If PS5 is BC PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1

It's a megaton announcement, look forward PS5 reveal

I sure hope so. I understand not having PS3 on PS4 but was disappointed I couldn't use PS1/PS2 Classics from the previous system's libraries. I kept thinking it would be announced at the next E3 or PSX until I gave up. If I wanted to restart on a classic library every system I would go to Nintendo, but even they had the decency of offering discounted upgrade rates from Wii to Wii U.

It's what is appealing about PC, and now the Xbox platform. Essentially if Sony doesn't do BC (for PS4 on PS5 at least) it basically means their ecosystem is a single system only, which is pretty worthless in a world where Xbox, Steam, Apple/iOS , Android etc. ecosystem purchases are valid a whole lot longer.

The patent about SD to 4K could mean a nice emulator for PS1 and PS2. I would so much rather that than buy something like a PS Classic.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If PS3 backwards compatibility happens then wouldn't they keep using them for PSN +games?

I know it'll probably end up being just PS4 games

Honestly i think the main reason they stopped PS3 games is because they were running out of them (lots of classics never made it to PSN). Same with Vita, plus the fact it wasnt a hit means fewer users anyway.

I agree though, I will keep my dreams in check and only expect PS4 compatibility. PS3 would be massive though

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I literally need at least ps4 compatibility because I simply don't have room for another console. There are too many games that matter to me on PS4 and because the original nier is on ps3 I haven't been able to get rid of that console either

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
If it works as well as the most generous interpretation of this patent implies, this is all you need to say to make the PS5 a day one buy.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope that the BC will extend to discs too and not just the digital library.

It felt glorious during the PS3 days to put a disc of Crash, RE2 or FF9 and play.

john titor

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it technically possible to implement backward compatibility for both PS3 and PS4 at the same time?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Now this would get me invested in sony again. My enormous library of PSX and PS2 games are ready.

Quasicat

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thing is, Backward Compatibility technical implementation is not all. Sony needs to nail the business-side of the implementation.

Please let us use our old CDs/DVDs/BRs and downloads. Please don't make us buy games all over again...

You definitely have my thoughts with this post. Charging me again for legacy games would keep me more focused on the Xbox with its implementation of backwards compatibility.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony offers full BC from ps1, ps2, ps3, and ps4 on the Ps5 then that will be a megaton.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Backward-compatibility is an obvious thing by now considering the state of GaaS games this gen. What do people expect? for people to be forced to repurchase Siege,Destiny 2, Anthem, Division and etc on new consoles?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

but from a revenue standpoint wouldn't they technically want people to have to rebuy their fave games each gen as remasters? 🤔 otoh, the people who are enticed by BC to spend even more on PSN in general because they feel more future-proof in that ecosystem might be worth more than the people who rebuy remasters.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This sounds more conplex that it actually is. Assuming the os5 will have the same cpu architectyre just be faster, wouldnt they just down clock it, turn off cores, etc to mimck the old CPU?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
They have to step their BC game in a big way considering what MS is offering.

I dont know about PS3(well outside of streaming) - but the other consoles should be more than reasonable.
I feel at a certain point they should be able to "brute force" PS3 emulation, shouldn't they? (let alone PS2 and PSX)
Sony should have home field advantage here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
giphy.gif

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i dont doubt PS4 BC, i have been expecting it a long time ago.
If they actually manage to do PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PSVita and PS4 BC all in one,
that would be one of the craziest megatons ever.