• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Saw this on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/am1ilp/sony_patents_a_new_system_of_backward/

Link to the patent

https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/web/PU/JPA_H31503013/23C0ECC1DA1FEA585B38A470480304CE

Translation:

Sony Japan has just registered a new patent that allows the retrocompatibility of the hardware with previous consoles. It is a system to be applied in a future machine, PS5, and that allows the CPU of the new console to be able to "interpret" the central unit of the previous machines. The author of the development was Mark Cerny, the architect who designed the PS4 structure, and the patent, which has been filed under number 2019-503013, briefly explains what it consists of.

The aim is to make the applications designed for the previous consoles (legacy device) run perfectly on the most powerful hardware, and is focused on eliminating the synchronization errors between the new consoles and the behavior of the previous ones (PS4, PS3, PS2 and PSX). For example, if the CPU of the new console is faster than the previous one, data could be overwritten prematurely, even if they were still being used by another component.

Thanks to the new system, PS5 would be able to imitate the behavior of the previous consoles, so that the information that arrives at the different processors is returned in response to the "calls" of the games. The processor is able to detect the needs of each application and behave as if it were the original "brain" of each machine, cheating the software. This technology does not prevent PS5 could also have additional processors to have compatibility with machines whose architecture is difficult to replicate, as in the case of PS2.

In this blog you can see the most detailed information of the patent, with the diagrams in Japanese. Yesterday we explained the SRGAN process that allows you to perform "remastering by emulation" (another of the elements that Sony has patented, and converts images in SD resolution in 4K using artificial intelligence.

More details here (Japanese)

http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/54822370.html

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Read about this earlier. Since Cerny is behind it I feel this certainly has some merit for PS5 and bodes well for the future.

Happy if it works out for those that wanted this.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
If PS5 is BC PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1

It's a megaton announcement, look forward PS5 reveal

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fully expecting backwards compatibility, although I wasn't expecting PS3. Bonus if that is in, but wouldn't be too disappointed if it's not.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I seriously hope this is going to be real, and that it's for both digital and physical releases. If true, I would be extremely happy since I haven't gotten rid of any of my previous games and consoles.

Definitely keeping my eyes on this.

Edit: From the looks of it, it should be able to go all the way back to PSX (PSOne). If they added a functionality for digital PSP/VITA games, then the PS5 would be a beast for collectors and those interested in old-school games.

Trixie Mattel

Nov 9, 2017
But I thought most people don't actually use backwards compatibility?

Jk great news, i'll be here day 1 for PS5 if it's BC with every PS System before it

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Now we're talking. I'm gonna need PS1-4 backwards compatibility if Sony wants to keep me around, super jealous of Xbox One's backwards compatibility.

Oct 26, 2017
Thing is, Backward Compatibility technical implementation is not all. Sony needs to nail the business-side of the implementation.

Please let us use our old CDs/DVDs/BRs and downloads. Please don't make us buy games all over again...

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Entire platform-wide backwards compatibility would be nearly unimaginably awesome. Like god damn.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If PS5 can play PS3 and PS2 games I will be buying it day 0.

Last edited:

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Probably so they can resell the titles online rather than allow disc based emulation.

After how MS has implemented it I hope Sony do more and show more love for older gens

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I don't care about BC other than the PS4, but it's good to know they are working with this for the PS5.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have to step their BC game in a big way considering what MS is offering.

I dont know about PS3(well outside of streaming) - but the other consoles should be more than reasonable.
It's ltierally what put me off PS. I love retro games but remasters and remakes only cover a small selection of games. Microsoft (and to be honest Nintendo!) are much better with their legacy games.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A PS5 that supports every single one of my PSN purchases and PS+ games from day one would be an offer too good to pass. Looking forward for what Sony decides to do with this stuff.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
The aim is to make the applications designed for the previous consoles (legacy device) run perfectly on the most powerful hardware, and is focused on eliminating the synchronization errors between the new consoles and the behavior of the previous ones (PS4, PS3, PS2 and PSX). For example, if the CPU of the new console is faster than the previous one, data could be overwritten prematurely, even if they were still being used by another component.

I read this as if Cerny was reading it out loud and fell asleep for a second.

I hope it comes to fruition.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit if PS5 has compatibility for PS3 titles, Cerny will ascend to godhood

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 supporting PS1 to PS4 games as well as PSP and PSTV compatible Vita games is the dream. Do it Sony, reward my loyalty.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
PS5 having bc with every previous console would be the only way to make me buy one at launch.

It must also be regionfree when it comes to using discs.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Would be pretty cool to play ps3 games on ps5 as the bd drive controller on my super slim shorted out.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
" converts images in SD resolution in 4K using artificial intelligence."
hrmmmmm. Not sure all of the results for this will be good.

"The aim is to make the applications designed for the previous consoles (legacy device) run perfectly on the most powerful hardware, and is focused on eliminating the synchronization errors between the new consoles and the behavior of the previous ones (PS4, PS3, PS2 and PSX). For example, if the CPU of the new console is faster than the previous one, data could be overwritten prematurely, even if they were still being used by another component. "

I could hear Mark Cerny saying this in my head.

Oct 26, 2017
Not that I wouldn't appreciate such extensive BC being implemented, but if they didn't even bother allowing PSX games to be backward compatible this go round, I doubt they'd make such an abrupt about face next time. Heck, they ditched BC and became the most profitable console on the market by far.

My guess is, like many corporate patents, this was something being tinkered with and Sony figured they may as well patent it just in case.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 being backwards compatible with the PS4 is a given. If they manage to make it backwards compatible with the PS3 that would be a godsend but I'm not counting on it.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Imagine the ps5 the ultimate playstation emulator with the ability to have special controller attachments for each game to play so we wont need any issues with different control schemes with just one controller?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know about PS3(well outside of streaming) - but the other consoles should be more than reasonable.
Actually with the new CPUs likely having 8 cores it'd probably be possible for them to emulate the Cell Cores (which if I remember correctly also had 8 cores) so it's not out of the realm of possibility