• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Really neat patent here from Sony that would allow Braille text readout through a series of actuators and a flexible "display" layer.

PORTABLE DEVICE AND SYSTEM - Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.

<div p-id="p-0001">A system includes a portable device for providing tactile feedback to a user, and a handheld games controller, the games controller including a receiving portion for securing the po

The system according to claim 1, wherein the processor is configured to map the received text information to braille; and wherein the processor is configured to control the tactile output of at least some of the touch elements so as to output a first portion of the received text information in braille.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. BRAILLE?! BRUH. THAT IS WILD. ACCESSIBILITY TURNED UP TO TEN THOUSAND (support the xbox adaptive controller tho pls!) That's awesome. Wow. I hope we see this in the final product.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Wow... that's a huge step for accessibility that I didn't think we'd see for years and years still. Would love to see this come in fruition.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Very nice, hope it becomes a reality.

Also, very interesting that it seems to be something that either goes on top of or replaces the touchpad? Could the touchpad be removable on DS5? If so, I'll take a replacement screen module plz :)

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Everytime I see reports of a patent I usually think that's a cool thing we'll never hear about again. Hopefully this isn't one of those. Would imagine this would be absolutely huge for some.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I see reports of a patent I usually think that's a cool thing we'll never hear about again. Hopefully this isn't one of those. Would imagine this would be absolutely huge for some.

There are so many patents for the potential DS5 that there's no way that they could all be part of it without it being ridiculously expensive.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
This is so far off of being an actual product, that I'm certain this was just something a engineer was working on on the side.

There's no reference to a legitimate product, and it doesn't seem like the design is final either.

I'd give it 3 years tops.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Braille?? Umm... what?. If a person has impaired vision or is blind, then playing video games are rather impossible. I just do see the point of those technology for a gaming controller

OP
OP
anexanhume

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There are so many patents for the potential DS5 that there's no way that they could all be part of it without it being ridiculously expensive.
This is a separate attachment.
This is so far off of being an actual product, that I'm certain this was just something a engineer was working on on the side.

There's no reference to a legitimate product, and it doesn't seem like the design is final either.

I'd give it 3 years tops.
Lots of patents don't turn into products. There's nothing in this patent to suggest any of your more pointed statements are true. Sometimes patents don't surface until after they're in a shipping product.

Braille?? Umm... what?. If a person has impaired vision or is blind, then playing video games are rather impossible. I just do see the point of those technology for a gaming controller
Would you say that to a person with vision impairment?

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be insensitive, but what is the purpose? Blind people can't exactly play video games can they?

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have you seen how many threads we get complaining of how small text size is for those of us with perfect(ish) vision? Partial blindness is a thing. This would definitely help out a lot of those dealing with that, even if it wouldn't help much with 100% blind folk.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be insensitive, but what is the purpose? Blind people can't exactly play video games can they?

My only thought is people who are partially sighted just might not be able to read text on-screen but could still see other things? Also potentially people who are deaf and partially sighted could use this.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's fucking awesome!

It could be used for puzzles and stuff too but obviously that's just a small bonus.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Braile is used not only for the totally blind, but also for those with others visual impairments. This could be of use for those.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
have you seen how many threads we get complaining of how small text size is for those of us with perfect(ish) vision? Partial blindness is a thing. This would definitely help out a lot of those dealing with that, even if it wouldn't help much with 100% blind folk.

I suppose so. I feel that devs could do more to solve a problem easily, rather than have a hardware solution that would require your hands to be placed on the touchpad, resulting in an ability to press other buttons.

I'm all for accessibility in video games. However, I feel this wouldnt really solve anything and other solutions could be much more beneficial. Of course I could be wrong though

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Braille would be pretty cool to implement for those who need it, this plus improvements in sound technology could lead to some good breakthroughs for accessibility. :)

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Huh. That's quite interesting. I'm intrigued to see what accessibility features Sony implements in PS5.

Honest question though... how is gaming possible for someone blind? Experiences need to be tailored fully to their special needs, no?

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This would be awesome if implemented. Most patents are just that, patents that never get implemented. It could work well for visual novels type of games.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
i dont quite get the use case for this since if someones unable to read the text on the screen, playing the game itself would still be incredibly difficult.

still a neat tech and a good step in the right direction.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Blind video game players do exist like SightlessCombat that playes Gears horde mode and Killer Instict since they have excellent sound design. I could see braille being super useful for menu navigation or showing notifications.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think people underestimate the possibility of text based adventures being a viable thing. Same with turn based games.