• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd take the beefier GPU than saving 20 seconds on a 3 hours COD session to be quite honest. This would only be very interesting in a case where you jump game every 10-15 minutes, which isn't something people do. A few seconds of load time isn't a game changer in the grand scheme of things.

It's not just load times though, but pop in with respect to asset density or quality (draw distance, textures etc).

Conversely, I reckon XSX games have a higher average resolution.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I think Sony are trying to move the console experience above PCs in different ways. This is one part of that.

With game launchers, jumping into PC games has become very slow and tedious. Rockstar launcher takes an age to launch/launch a game.

This is smart because, as we know, PCs are general purpose so by their design there is always a layer in front of gaming, be it the OS, mixed configuration, game launchers etc

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Depending on the legal requeriments to display such logos they should at least have the right to opt out of their games using this feature i believe. Suspend mode isnt the same situation, it still counts as one continuous instance of gameplay (which displayed all logos as such)
Yep, games have been refused certification before when they have been submitted to console manufacturers for messing up the front end. It's something Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are really strict about. It's a very big thing when you're submitting a title for final certification. I'm sure Sony would have had all this stuff in mind though when submitting the patent, it would be a pretty (very) big oversight if they hadn't.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This sounds like one of those things which is great on paper, will be supported by Sony's 1st party devs but at the end will very rarely be utilized. PS4 supports something somewhat similar where developers could let you download 1 component of the game (the story mode for example) and then once that's done you can just play it will the game's other components continue downloading the background. Devs could take it even as far as to let you download only the first mission, then boot up the game while mission 2, 3 etc. download and install in the background. However, reality is that 90% of games don't properly support this.
for all we know they may have made it much easier to support this for devs. so definitely will see what happens.

Dec 31, 2017
It's not just load times though, but pop in with respect to asset density or quality (draw distance, textures etc).

Conversely, I reckon XSX games have a higher average resolution.
Your first part is yet to be proven as Sony has shown no concrete example where they'll be able to push better lod than on competing platforms.

And what does it have to do with the thread at hand?

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
No you still aren't getting it, I'm not talking about suspending a online session and being disconnected, you can load into COD from a cold start today and still be kicked to the menu because a game update was needed.

If you have automatic updates, this isn't a problem.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I have heard some fascinating things about the PS5's operating system like this - one of the pitches they've been making to developers is "playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix." They want to make players feel like they can load up the game immediately and know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them. They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare.
That's excellent!

One of the best things that Switch has going for it right now is being able to suspend and resume instantly (assuming you're already in a game) and the current time to get into a game on Ps4/XB1 is 100% an obstacle for people with busy lives.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your first part is yet to be proven as Sony has shown no concrete example where they'll be able to push better lod than on competing platforms.

And what does it have to do with the thread at hand?

The person I was responding to was talking about the potential benefits of a more performative GPU vs such load time savings facilitated by an SSD. Perhaps take the time to follow the chain of discussion or what is being quoted before chiming in....

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
This sounds like one of those things which is great on paper, will be supported by Sony's 1st party devs but at the end will very rarely be utilized. PS4 supports something somewhat similar where developers could let you download 1 component of the game (the story mode for example) and then once that's done you can just play it will the game's other components continue downloading the background. Devs could take it even as far as to let you download only the first mission, then boot up the game while mission 2, 3 etc. download and install in the background. However, reality is that 90% of games don't properly support this.
Maybe recently but I've played a ton of 3rd party games with this feature. Most people don't realize when you start a new game that it's still downloading or installing in the background because it's not 100%

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Does this mean thier embracing multiple game quick resume like xbox. Have 5 or 6 games running and just jump back in exactly where you left off without rebooting the game?

This would mean on the PS5 you could accomplish the same thing without even needing to have the 5 or 6 games running at all.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
That's excellent!

One of the best things that Switch has going for it right now is being able to suspend and resume instantly (assuming you're already in a game) and the current time to get into a game on Ps4/XB1 is 100% an obstacle for people with busy lives.
As odd as it is, just the perceived potential of accessing games faster on next gen systems has begun making me frustrated at dealing with load times on current gen systems. Not to the point that I am not going to play them, but I certainly notice it more compared to only rarely being bothered by it previously.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony seems keen on addressing the pain points of modern gaming — and one of them is that it takes too damn long to start playing.

The SSD is part of their solution for addressing that. This is another part. What's better than loading a bunch of menus faster? Not having to load them at all.

Yeah I'm really glad Sony and MS are both seemingly addressing this in their own ways. It's so irritating trying to play a game from a cold start right now. Click icon, Wait...... click menu, wait...... click game mode, wait for lobby to fill..... wait for level to load........ ok now finally five minutes later I can actually play the game. I'm day 1 for both consoles simply because they'll help alleviate this quite a bit.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
This would mean on the PS5 you could accomplish the same thing without even needing to have the 5 or 6 games running at all.
I think your overstating the difference grossly with a 2.5 gb/s throughput and 5 gb/s. ie. 50 gigs, 10 sec ps4 20 xsx. But were still talking booting game, going through menu, selecting save then going. Vs I've got 5 games running, mid race forza, mid jump platforming ori, mid roaming open world witcher 3 etc for 5 or 6 games. In the latter I'm not having to select a save and get back to the point I really left off at. Quick resume is a feature than saves tons of time in it's own way vs a cross the board benefit of the ssd. But they are not the same in this case. Saying you dont need multi game quick resume cause of a marginally faster ssd is kinda just settling for less next gen features that do make a huge difference.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah all I ever do in Rocket League is jump straight into 2v2 ranked matches. Give me a tile to do that and I'm golden. Combined with the extreme SSD speed and you could actually jump from one game type in one game to another game type in a completely different game and it almost feel like you do today when doing that from within the same game itself. It will be so rapid. Cannot wait! (And won't need to).

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think your overstating the difference grossly with a 2.5 gb/s throughput and 5 gb/s. ie. 50 gigs, 10 sec ps4 20 xsx. But were still talking booting game, going through menu, selecting save then going. Vs I've got 5 games running, mid race forza, mid jump platforming ori, mid roaming open world witcher 3 etc for 5 or 6 games. In the latter I'm not having to select a save and get back to the point I really left off at. Quick resume is a feature than saves tons of time in it's own way vs a cross the board benefit of the ssd. But they are not the same in this case. Saying you dont need multi game quick resume cause of a marginally faster ssd is kinda just settling for less next gen features that do make a huge difference.

No. 1 you don't "need" any of this shit. These are options. No. 2, in order to have 5 or 6 games running for multi-game quick resume you have to already booted up 5 or 6 games and have them to the point where you'd want to quick resume them. Already more of a hassle. This allows you to jump into any game from the point you want to immediately after booting up your system, and it is not limited to a 5 or 6 game multi-boot because you don't need to have the games booted in the first place.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Indeed. Suspend of one game now is a game changer, let alone having 4-5. Though my biggest peeve is that some MP games don't suspend well at all now. Division 2 and Destiny 2 being particular recent culprits where they kick you out of servers, so even with suspend, it takes 2-3 minutes to log in, far longer than actually booting the game. So any SSD/suspend benefits would be negated by a slow server process. And that is even when you are in your own "instance" or private single player area with no other players around.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
No. 1 you don't "need" any of this shit. These are options. No. 2, in order to have 5 or 6 games running for multi-game quick resume you have to already booted up 5 or 6 games and have them to the point where you'd want to quick resume them. Already more of a hassle. This allows you to jump into any game from the point you want to immediately after booting up your system, and it is not limited to a 5 or 6 game multi-boot because you don't need to have the games booted in the first place.
But you understand XSX is 2.5 gig/s and ps5 is 5 gig/s not 40 gig/s. The gulf isnt what your implying there. And as far as hassle, if I can restart my whole console and still be at the exact point of a game I left off without rebooting, menu, load save, and then replay to the point I left off. The latter sounds more of a "hassle".

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think your overstating the difference grossly with a 2.5 gb/s throughput and 5 gb/s. ie. 50 gigs, 10 sec ps4 20 xsx. But were still talking booting game, going through menu, selecting save then going. Vs I've got 5 games running, mid race forza, mid jump platforming ori, mid roaming open world witcher 3 etc for 5 or 6 games.

Well, in the examples from the patent, no, you're not. The 'direct gameplay' bit refers to skipping past boot cruft into specific parts of the game. Be it your auto save, or a task in a game, or an online match or whatever.

Of course we'll have to see how well devs support this. But the idea is that instead of booting the game to navigate its menus to 'setup' whatever you want to do in the game, there'll be OS level apps where games can expose those controls instead, so you can flit between those 'apps' easily and immediately and with a common interface language at the OS level, and then skip directly into whatever parts of the game the app lets you shortcut to.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sounds useful for dipping in and out of different multiplayer games and modes quickly, but sounds similar to some of the promised Stadia functionality. Where cloud services like Stadia will have the advantage here is that you won't need to have downloaded the game first, which is more similar to the "Netflix" claims. Not that I have any interest in cloud streaming nor multiplayer gaming outside of Rocket League.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I have heard some fascinating things about the PS5's operating system like this - one of the pitches they've been making to developers is "playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix." They want to make players feel like they can load up the game immediately and know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them. They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare.

Music to my ears, super interested to see what they do with the OS...and jumping in and out of games, this is where they could leverage the SSD.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Indeed. Suspend of one game now is a game changer, let alone having 4-5. Though my biggest peeve is that some MP games don't suspend well at all now. Division 2 and Destiny 2 being particular recent culprits where they kick you out of servers, so even with suspend, it takes 2-3 minutes to log in, far longer than actually booting the game. So any SSD/suspend benefits would be negated by a slow server process. And that is even when you are in your own "instance" or private single player area with no other players around.
Not gonna dispute that for online games. But I primarily play single player and that's a hell of a feature for me!

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, you had to boot the game once and see all the logos and stuff. Its like if you turned your old console on the entire day and just turned the tv off. Eventually you will have to close it, and then you will have to boot the game again.

The possibility of booting games straight to gameplay skipping all that stuff is a different can of worms
KZ:SF already did that actually. You can boot to MP immediately from the OS skipping all the logos.

Does this mean thier embracing multiple game quick resume like xbox. Have 5 or 6 games running and just jump back in exactly where you left off without rebooting the game?
Yes but even better since you don't even need to have the game suspended to get to where you want immediately.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds useful for dipping in and out of different multiplayer games and modes quickly, but sounds similar to some of the promised Stadia functionality. Where cloud services like Stadia will have the advantage here is that you won't need to have downloaded the game first, which is more similar to the "Netflix" claims. Not that I have any interest in cloud streaming nor multiplayer gaming outside of Rocket League.

These 'templates' are standalone things. Little applets. The network can stream new ones to you for games your friends might own, that you don't, for example, or ones it thinks you might like.

That could start to look like advertisement - but I think it makes sense if you have a PSNow subscription, for example, or your PS+ library. If templates from across this wider catalog you have access to can be surfaced to you independently of whether you have the game installed, and perhaps show you specific things in different games that you might like - aid discovery of what you already have access to.

Hopefully you would have controls over how it surfaces things - so that if you want, you can tell it to ignore games you don't have access to or would have to buy to engage with beyond the 'applet'.

Independence from game install will also be handy if you're doing 'fridge management' of your storage - can help you keep an eye on a game that maybe you've temporarily deleted to free up room for another game.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
This feels like the kind of QOL upgrade that looks like a small thing at first glance, and yet would be extremely hard to go back from after that.
Yeah. I also think in time the loading differences between PS5 and XSX could be the same. Yeah resuming or loading any game in about 6 seconds sounds great now, but when something else can do it in 2-3 seconds every time then that will feel all the snappier. If this implementation from Sony becomes a thing then it will make using the PS5 overall just feel so much more modern than the even now fast XSX speeds.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So is this like a much more advanced version of what Killzone: Shadowfall did? Where it instantly starts, skipping all the logo and loading/signing in stuff. I thought the reason that didn't go anywhere was because those companies didn't like their logo getting skipped, will that be a problem with this.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
These 'templates' are standalone things. Little applets. The network can stream new ones to you for games your friends might own, that you don't, for example, or ones it thinks you might like.

That could start to look like advertisement - but I think it makes sense if you have a PSNow subscription, for example, or your PS+ library. If templates from across this wider catalog you have access to can be surfaced to you independently of whether you have the game installed, and perhaps show you specific things in different games that you might like - aid discovery of what you already have access to.

Hopefully you would have controls over how it surfaces things - so that if you want, you can tell it to ignore games you don't have access to or would have to buy to engage with beyond the 'applet'.

Independence from game install will also be handy if you're doing 'fridge management' of your storage - can help you keep an eye on a game that maybe you've temporarily deleted to free up room for another game.
Will be interesting to see how it works on the streaming front you mentioned. PS Now (and xCloud for that matter) takes forever to start a game, and both services feel miles away from providing this kind of functionality just because of how slow they are in getting going. Perhaps when the cloud server blades are eventually upgraded to PS5/Scarlett.
So is this like a much more advanced version of what Killzone: Shadowfall did? Where it instantly starts, skipping all the logo and loading/signing in stuff. I thought the reason that didn't go anywhere was because those companies didn't like their logo getting skipped, will that be a problem with this.
Logos/splash screens are typically masking loading though. We know this because PC versions (with SSD) of multiplat games often let you quickly skip through the splash screens whilst you have to simply sit through them on console.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
But you understand XSX is 2.5 gig/s and ps5 is 5 gig/s not 40 gig/s. The gulf isnt what your implying there. And as far as hassle, if I can restart my whole console and still be at the exact point of a game I left off without rebooting, menu, load save, and then replay to the point I left off. The latter sounds more of a "hassle".

It's just a different approach. No one is saying that Xbox won't do this too.

Think of it like this you quit your game of Halo infinite.

Next time you go to the game tile you can
1)boot straight to where you were
2)boot straight to matchmaking
3) regular boot up
4) whatever other start point you want, like the beginning of any completed level.

All in a couple of seconds, twice as long on Xbox but still a short amount of time.

Seems like a pretty good approach to me, though the simplicity of suspend\resume still has appeal.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
It's just a different approach. No one is saying that Xbox won't do this too.

Think of it like this you quit your game of Halo infinite.

Next time you go to the game tile you can
1)boot straight to where you were
2)boot straight to matchmaking
3) regular boot up
4) whatever other start point you want, like the beginning of any completed level.

All in a couple of seconds, twice as long on Xbox but still a short amount of time.

Seems like a pretty good approach to me, though the simplicity of suspend\resume still has appeal.
I can absolutely agree with this rational.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds cool, but this kinda of feature always depends on how much thought devs put into it for example the touchpad.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Will be interesting to see how it works on the streaming front you mentioned. PS Now (and xCloud for that matter) takes forever to start a game, and both services feel miles away from providing this kind of functionality just because of how slow they are in getting going. Perhaps when the cloud server blades are eventually upgraded to PS5/Scarlett.

Oh yeah... I wasn't even thinking of the streaming side. I was thinking more of your downloadable catalog.

So maybe the system 'reckons' you would enjoy a certain thing in a certain game, surfaces it to you in a 'template' at the OS level. You don't have it installed, but the game is in your PSNow or PS+ catalog. So it gives you the option to install (or maybe, with PS5 stuff, partially install the bit you need to play the activity in this template), and then when it's installed, you can play.

I was thinking more the discovery aspect wrt games you don't have on your system there, rather than the immediacy aspect. Without streaming there'll be that wait of course, and even with streaming there might be. But I think as long as there isn't a pay gate to the content, it would be 'cool' to have the system bring stuff to your attention that you could play without further payment, even if there's an install or stream startup wait.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds cool, but this kinda of feature always depends on how much thought devs put into it for example the touchpad.

Nah, this is way easier.

Just have 4 boot points for every game and make it mandatory for the developer to include them.

They can be "?????" and greyed out until they're unlocked in game if required.