• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The ultra fast SSD and instant loading surely will help make this a great feature. Seems like developers will be able to create custom tiles with a lot of functionality and have this be presented in the general PS5 OS. Think of a tile as an extension of the game (a mini app/widget merged into the OS) showing i.e. your latest position in an RPG with a screenshot, current gear and a button for jumping straight back into the action in a second. Or a Multiplayer FPS tile with a matchmaking button pre-set to "Team Deatchmatch" (your favorite mode), general stats etc. Potentially the tiles could also enable you to perform async game activities while in the PS5 OS (i.e. sending out delivery robots in Death Stranding). Hey, what about not presenting a main menu within a game at all...

Patent can be seen here: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20200086217.pdf

I first saw this mentioned on a Norwegian news site.

h-4HjOZR6HzM-01l1-eYUF7H63p_TcdPxTYdGwUyTLgjJoytU4yylbqeOGmuPZtCHnTl2w1XGutjH5fvDq3yJZ021oIM-XPT8i6SwX30nqkIczP3DhZwwMoBNInVXCpLKRf2c38QfhEVqoue6-aALGQGISwBiv-NmC0607Gy2_TaBPMA9-38IH02oDJb2pKqlROquv-2YEYum30_g1CId7ot0ERtndMo_uqVuzgl-bd4lvQvTmN1UNVVGGYb5_8WM1w5ko_kN_btWoStw3FCDhkmXhiJmxuNrk0ZL5u6eGRRm8Z0vb3HQ9RQ-ybtxbk4vDo3pA0qne7bFHyLtlJ71fDTMbTAmztRBR6A6t1EFSAd2Xb7zvZ0w3BFIFJnDTdf6ltHN55roy1xLCzdtWVWTnn0pbZcG5dsKmN56EYaIsOdjN4M0BNrj9E47CmDSNqQBmQwTVCB0HtG_Y4bBpAkazhbYp9OXrTig8yoSweBhMfpbFmIBh4pDFnOsEgmhDpB-chHklMx1jbFsr2aaF-XoTTrBfxn8LBieFUnwWmd1yVUg1sJKTEKsRlnP4K-ffdWDeTaGT6oqzaDEQAHGImJzrOmOnF1OokgSK5hvCCfQIMBt0U9WGKHdcPXnDEnSHdSwcIrB7Fc4-SeWp-mJr_w6XzAYVPjdX_86OcKCpUwlSpeqp8OsUWv31XhnI0JiJrzZZ6-FfsvNwHboxAdPqpY-zoT7xUukzCq9-8jVUgTO6M52PLaoDRtVH-9=w610-h733-no

Mark Cerny's comments from last years Wired articles (thanks GTVision ):

The PS4's bare-bones home screen at times feels frozen in amber; you can see what your friends have recently done or even what game title they might be playing at the moment, but without launching an individual title there's no way to tell what single-player missions you could do or what multiplayer matches you can join. The PS5 will change that. "Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up," Cerny says. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."

Last edited:

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an interface for the similar feature MS announced where you can have multiple game suspension profiles at the same time.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the original XB1 OS kinda have this?

When you went to the home screen the main tile would show the game you were currently running.

Although this obviously has significantly more to it than that.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Seems coherent with the fact data management will allow to keep only some part of a game (solo or MP for exemple).

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If they make a tile dedicated to load your most recent save in an SP game or as OP says launch your favorite MP mode directly from the OS, then coupled with the tech we could finally get into playing directly in a matter of seconds. Crazy stuff.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an interface for the similar feature MS announced where you can have multiple game suspension profiles at the same time.
This is different, you can launch into a round of Domination in Call of Duty directly from the OS

This will be huge in evergreen titles like Fifa, Cod, etc

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think emulators do that (at least some) with your save states - they also grab a screenshot of where you saved.

mortadelo

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a beefed up version of the game invite from the PS4, where it's possible to add even more information in there now.

Edit: And of course, it's not just for game invites.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So this is comparable to emulator save states right? that would be pretty awesome, and something that i had speculated on before the second wired article. it just makes a lot of sense if the game loads so fast. You could see this as an alternative option for multi game suspend where instead of copying the whole game ram data into the SSD like what MS does, you would just load up your save states (which should take roughly 1 second).

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really that different from resuming a game on the multiplayer menu and selecting Domination?

Yes, because you don't need to have a game suspended on the multiplayer menu first. It also sounds like it can display pertinent info on the tile such as player counts and such.

This has less to do with suspending and resuming, and more to do with making games more immediately accessible, something that is apparently a big point for Sony next generation. So rather than starting a game, selecting multiplayer, then selecting team deathmatch, you can have a tile for that game's team deathmatch and jump straight in.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Sony seems keen on addressing the pain points of modern gaming — and one of them is that it takes too damn long to start playing.

The SSD is part of their solution for addressing that. This is another part. What's better than loading a bunch of menus faster? Not having to load them at all. Being able to jump into a specific part of the game or game mode straight from the OS sounds great.

The user interface described sort of reminds me of PS Vita's LiveArea, where the "icon" for a game was really a widget that could contain multiple options. This sort of deep linking has become the norm for mobile apps; it's great to see it applied to console games.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's like apps shortcuts right? Imagine playing directly from a save (without loading), play a game mode directly, say check a timer based minigame (like those map missions on DA:I). Could be really great. It could probably change how we play games like how rest mode did for me this gen.
Is it really that different from resuming a game on the multiplayer menu and selecting Domination?
Say you're on a different game, you just select a game mode from a diffent game then you're on it. No loading (probably) no game bootup to tackle, no menu to see just straight into the game mode.

That said i'm not sure if 3rd party engine and tools would be ok with it, I remember GG asking a lot of their 3rd party tools if it's ok to remove their logos for that ps4 Killzone game

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I can't see devs and pubs liking this very much, but if Sony manages to do it i hope it takes traction and everyone else does it too. Loading directly from a save state and skipping all logos, intros, fluff and loading is one of the reasons id rather play rpgs on emulators than on real hardware

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
Yes, because you don't need to have a game suspended on the multiplayer menu first. It also sounds like it can display pertinent info on the tile such as player counts and such.

This has less to do with suspending and resuming, and more to do with making games more immediately accessible, something that is apparently a big point for Sony next generation. So rather than starting a game, selecting multiplayer, then selecting team deathmatch, you can have a tile for that game's team deathmatch and jump straight in.
Say you're on a different game, you just select a game mode from a diffent game then you're on it. No loading (probably) no game bootup to tackle, no menu to see just straight into the game mode.

That said i'm not sure if 3rd party engine and tools would be ok with it, I remember GG asking a lot of their 3rd party tools if it's ok to remove their logos for that ps4 Killzone game
Does it skip the bootup, though? Or does it just start a game (that's not suspended) as normal, then automatically take you to whatever mode or save you wanted to load like it does now when you accept multiplayer game invites? I think that distinction fundamentally changes the discussion.

It is a cool concept if implemented as pointed out, though.

Last edited:

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that is cool. Reminds me of the Wii Menu where the games could display dynamic content in the banner, but this time they can also include buttons and shortcuts.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have heard some fascinating things about the PS5's operating system like this - one of the pitches they've been making to developers is "playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix." They want to make players feel like they can load up the game immediately and know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them. They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
I have heard some fascinating things about the PS5's operating system like this - one of the pitches they've been making to developers is "playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix." They want to make players feel like they can load up the game immediately and know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them. They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare.

That sounds amazing, hope it looks something like this

Last edited:

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
The following is from the Wired article from last year (https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/):

The PS4's bare-bones home screen at times feels frozen in amber; you can see what your friends have recently done or even what game title they might be playing at the moment, but without launching an individual title there's no way to tell what single-player missions you could do or what multiplayer matches you can join. The PS5 will change that. "Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up," Cerny says. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That sounds amazing, hope it looks something like this

heh, that concept is pretty cool and probably not too far off from what this is going to be like.

this sounds really great, i would love to see it in action.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The ultra fast SSD and instant loading surely will help make this a great feature. Seems like developers will be able to create custom tiles with a lot of functionality and have this be presented in the general PS5 OS. Think of a tile as an extension to the game (a mini app/widget merged into the OS) showing i.e. your latest position in an RPG with a screenshot, current gear and a button for jumping straight back into the action in a second. Or a Multiplayer FPS tile with a matchmaking button pre-set to "Team Deatchmatch" (your favorite mode), general stats etc. Potentially the tiles could also enable you to perform async game activities while in the PS5 OS (i.e. sending out delivery robots in Death Stranding). Hey, what about not presenting a main menu within a game at all...

Patent can be seen here: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20200086217.pdf

I first saw this mentioned on a Norwegian news site.

h-4HjOZR6HzM-01l1-eYUF7H63p_TcdPxTYdGwUyTLgjJoytU4yylbqeOGmuPZtCHnTl2w1XGutjH5fvDq3yJZ021oIM-XPT8i6SwX30nqkIczP3DhZwwMoBNInVXCpLKRf2c38QfhEVqoue6-aALGQGISwBiv-NmC0607Gy2_TaBPMA9-38IH02oDJb2pKqlROquv-2YEYum30_g1CId7ot0ERtndMo_uqVuzgl-bd4lvQvTmN1UNVVGGYb5_8WM1w5ko_kN_btWoStw3FCDhkmXhiJmxuNrk0ZL5u6eGRRm8Z0vb3HQ9RQ-ybtxbk4vDo3pA0qne7bFHyLtlJ71fDTMbTAmztRBR6A6t1EFSAd2Xb7zvZ0w3BFIFJnDTdf6ltHN55roy1xLCzdtWVWTnn0pbZcG5dsKmN56EYaIsOdjN4M0BNrj9E47CmDSNqQBmQwTVCB0HtG_Y4bBpAkazhbYp9OXrTig8yoSweBhMfpbFmIBh4pDFnOsEgmhDpB-chHklMx1jbFsr2aaF-XoTTrBfxn8LBieFUnwWmd1yVUg1sJKTEKsRlnP4K-ffdWDeTaGT6oqzaDEQAHGImJzrOmOnF1OokgSK5hvCCfQIMBt0U9WGKHdcPXnDEnSHdSwcIrB7Fc4-SeWp-mJr_w6XzAYVPjdX_86OcKCpUwlSpeqp8OsUWv31XhnI0JiJrzZZ6-FfsvNwHboxAdPqpY-zoT7xUukzCq9-8jVUgTO6M52PLaoDRtVH-9=w610-h733-no

Steam already does that outside of the "launch the activity".

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
These are some of the features that were talked about in the interview.
Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up," Cerny says. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.
Modular game installation.
configurable installation—and removal—process. "Rather than treating games like a big block of data," Cerny says, "we're allowing finer-grained access to the data." That could mean the ability to install just a game's multiplayer campaign, leaving the single-player campaign for another time, or just installing the whole thing and then deleting the single-player campaign once you've finished it.

Edit: Beaten

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I heard from my sources was that the OS itself can display several tasks or in-game achievements you have still to finish
This already exists on Xbox though. You can see how far along to an achievement you are and how close to completion straight from the dash without launching. Unsure if this is a big thing in the end?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017

this sounds like a great feature for casual players. I don't need it as much now, but when my kids were younger this would have been amazing. I don't know how many times I held off on playing cause I wasn't sure if it was gonna be worth starting up to play.
I am still really excited for quick start though. Sometimes if I only have half an hour to play I won't bother with booting up the PS4 cause it can be 5 or more minutes before I'm playing.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Does it skip the bootup, though? Or does it just start a game (that's not suspended) as normal, then automatically take you to whatever mode or save you wanted to load like it does now when you accept multiplayer game invites? I think that distinction fundamentally changes the discussion.

I imagine that's up to the developers and how they define each template.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
This would be amazing if games weren't so big, but we live in a world where 800gb might only get you 6-7 AAA games.

What one of them should have been is have rewritable blurays that patch themselves, so that there's no need to keep a game on your system. A disk would pop in and boom you're gone, as long as you keep it patched. I don't know how feasible it is, but that would have completely changed the concept of storage.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would be amazing if games weren't so big, but we live in a world where 800gb might only get you 6-7 AAA games.

What one of them should have been is have rewritable blurays that patch themselves, so that there's no need to keep a game on your system. A disk would pop in and boom you're gone, as long as you keep it patched. I don't know how feasible it is, but that would have completely changed the concept of storage.
Imagine a world where someone hacks the PS5 allowing to write games from the SSD onto disc without worry. Also very expensive.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool to be able to perform missions that take real-world time from outside of the game, which is kind of what I'm getting from this? Like sending out characters on expeditions in RPGS, that sort of thing.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

There will always be a need to keep the game in the system because disks are very slow, even more so when compared to SSDs. You're not getting 2.5GB/s of read speed on any disk, specially if it's multi-layered like these blurays need to be.

The only alternative is going back to cartridges, which is far more expensive.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This will likely be very helpful since 825 GB of storage wont store a ton of games. People would be irritated if they had to copy over COD 24 just to see what's going on in the game, find out nothing's happening and then copy it back to cold storage

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I could also imagine game tiles remaining installed (like game saves) despite if the full game is installed or not. That would be great and make storage space a smaller concern (in countries with no Internet cap & good bandwidth).

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Having a dynamic game menu directly in the UI of the OS is cool but I can see this feature being largely ignored by devs if it does not exist on other consoles. So hopefully Microsoft can add something similar, if they didn't already. It's purely software so not a problem to add this later in time.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
This ia what I really want from next gen.
I hate having to juggle between different games because they take so long to load and after a while I forget what I had to do to progress. That's why I usually only focus on one game.
Systems like this or multi-suspend-and-resume with sub 10s loading times are what I'm really excited about.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This will likely be very helpful since 825 GB of storage wont store a ton of games. People would be irritated if they had to copy over COD 24 just to see what's going on in the game, find out nothing's happening and then copy it back to cold storage
I think that Sony will do PlayGo again but not only from disc to disk but also from disc to SSD and, more importantly, disk to SSD.
Disk to SSD should be pretty fast, we can easily expect 80MB/s from a USB 3 drive which means 4.8GB/min and with PlayGo this should mean that perhaps a few minutes are enough to start the game.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is a cool concept if implemented as pointed out, though.
Given how fast these ssd are, it probably bypasses the bootup, think of it as a how saved state works on emulator. You're just there, even from where you are.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Having a dynamic game menu directly in the UI of the OS is cool but I can see this feature being largely ignored by devs if it does not exist on other consoles. So hopefully Microsoft can add something similar, if they didn't already. It's purely software so not a problem to add this later in time.

I don't know - it's not as if the devs are creating modes for this - but more of OS-level link to in-game modes that normally would need 5 presses from game -> multiplayer menu -> game type -> deathmatch -> create lobby, now you only need 1 or 2.

So long as it's not too complicated - or if there are legal issues where skipping the T&C and engine logos and shit have some ramifications, I could see many devs embrace it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't the original XB1 OS kinda have this?

When you went to the home screen the main tile would show the game you were currently running.

Although this obviously has significantly more to it than that.
Is this not the stuff already on Xbox. Achievement tracker etc

What you're both describing the PS4 already has, but what's described in the OP goes well beyond it. Essentially it would allow you to load specific modes, chapters or whatever else from a game, without even needing to have the game be suspended. Essentially you have more fine grain freedom to quickly load specific parts of games as and when you need them, even if you haven't already been running it.