• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
This could be a game changer

Sony Interactive Entertainment has apparently been working on an online tournament system which will be using the PlayStation Network to track games and players in real time on PlayStation 5.

According to a new patent published last week, the proposed online tournament integration will allow both developers and players, as well as third-party organizers, to host tournaments in separate capacities.

Sony has particularly focused on a wide range of tools to give any player the freedom to host a small tournament for a single game with friends and family. The same tools can however be also used to scale up for a large tournament with numerous participants, multiple games, and a custom set of rules.

1.jpg

The patent furthermore mentions a "gaming network platform" where players will need to have an account in order to register for online tournaments. This is possibly the PlayStation Network since Sony wants to access user details for "recruiting and invitations, team-building, notifications, reminders, match scheduling, updated brackets, real-time reporting."

There also stands the possibility that Sony has a vested interest in creating a brand new platform to focus on esports alone.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Seems very similar to the ps4 tournaments api that is available on PS4 consoles and not ps5.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is already on PS4.

And its kind of frustrating that its not on PS5 already, because I literally can't enter any of the pre-EVO tourneys Sony's been doing because they exclusively use the PS4 event system. I'm glad this stuff is coming to PS5 but it should have been in the OS from the beginning.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

And its kind of frustrating that its not on PS5 already, because I literally can't enter any of the pre-EVO tourneys Sony's been doing because they exclusively use the PS4 event system. I'm glad this stuff is coming to PS5 but it should have been in the OS from the beginning.
Yup, Evo locked to PS4 sucks. I literally can't play in strive Evo tournaments even though I constantly play against ps4 players online.

OP
OP
starfoxxxy

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021

ahh, I didn't know that. Well Covid probably delayed a lot of stuff hardware wise.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, Evo locked to PS4 sucks. I literally can't play in strive Evo tournaments even though I constantly play against ps4 players online.
At least the main Evo tourney is using SmashGG so I can still enter Strive, but its absurd that all of these tourneys they've been hyping on social media are unplayable on their latest platform. At least it looks like they're fixing it.

Jun 23, 2019
makes the Arcsys rumors believable although I don't think it will happen, it makes sense.

I think its cool to see Sony expanding into esports and VR. maybe one day we'll see a VR Esports title lol

I mean, doesn't a move like this cement Sony as the defacto platform for fighting games if they own EVO as well as have the technology to host their own tournies?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
PC is gonna take away a lot of enthusiasm for this due to the high input latencies on consoles, especially PS.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
This is really expected given the PS4 Tournaments going on before Evo, I remember some people questioning why only PS4… that's the answer.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I mean, doesn't a move like this cement Sony as the defacto platform for fighting games if they own EVO as well as have the technology to host their own tournies?
Basically, Sony is doing everything to make there console the machine for the FGC.

The only think to push it over the hill is actually talent to make exclusive fighting games.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
PSA: this doesn't appear to be new, contrary to the article quoted in OP. It's a continuation of a 2018 patent. Very common misunderstanding in the patent world.

Specifically: a continuation allows you to obtain new claims. But what you can claim is limited to what you originally disclosed in the original filing your continuation claims priority to.

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I'm just curious if MS and Nintendo are still going to let their games be at EVO.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
ahh, I didn't know that. Well Covid probably delayed a lot of stuff hardware wise.
PS4 Tournaments with all this functionality launched way back in fall of 2017 or 2018. I know this, because I've played in several of these PS4 tournaments with auto matchmaking and reporting.
Coincides with when this patent went live as well. Its definitely a refresh for the PS5 version of the same functionality. Probably includes activity card implementation and some new leaderboard (which currently isn't available on PS4).

OP
OP
starfoxxxy

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Basically, Sony is doing everything to make there console the machine for the FGC.

The only think to push it over the hill is actually talent to make exclusive fighting games.

right, and Since i don't see them buying exclusivity/funding Street Fighter 6 again, that money would probably better be spent on exclusive IP/dedicated studio

Oct 27, 2017
makes the Arcsys rumors believable although I don't think it will happen, it makes sense.

I think its cool to see Sony expanding into esports and VR. maybe one day we'll see a VR Esports title lol
Not really. Investing in exclusives doesn't mean they're planning on buying them or anything like that. Plus a private company has to want to sell

OP
OP
starfoxxxy

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Not really. Investing in exclusives doesn't mean they're planning on buying them or anything like that. Plus a private company has to want to sell

I didn't say sony was gonna kick in the door and force them to comply. Just that it's believable that Sony is looking for talent to feed the EVO acquisition thats not 3rd party.

there have already been rumblings since the EVO purchase that some publishers could pull their games, it makes sense for sony to want a fighting game of their own. But yeah, like you said that could also just simply mean funding a new IP through a contract.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
This is a continuation of 10, 953,335 which was filed in Feb. 28, 2018. It contains nothing new as compared to then and is essentially just a legal means of strengthening a past patent by using broader language. As such it doesn't really indicate anything about Sony's plans for the future. Also, the implication drawn about Sony creating a new network platform for esports is baseless. Non-specific language like that is just how the specifications to patents are written in order to allow legal flexibility.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wonder if they plan to go even further with their fighting games genre investments. There was a rumor about an ASW acquisition, but I hope that doesn't pan out.