• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 54580

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 7, 2019

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
plurality plurality plurality plurality plurality plurality plurality plurality plurality plurality

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've got to imagine all eyes are on DLSS right now, fantastic tech that really gives native resolutions a run for their money

and Sony's new image reconstruction implementation may be corroborated with AMD's solution that is to be included in the RDNA 2 GPUs inside the PS5 consoles.

Wait was this known? I hadn't heard AMD had a solution baked into RDNA2

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
AI image reconstruction going to make these new consoles last a long time just like image reconstruction did this gen.

All these started from the temporal / post processing AA trend started on the tail end of the 360 / PS3 gen.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That would be great, could maybe lead to some actual 60fps games next gen. That said, I'm not sure that they have the hardware to actually do it, regardless of patents

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, wonder if this is meant to run on their existing silicon. Part of what makes DLSS so great is the dedicated Tensor cores that help drive it.

badabeezy

Oct 27, 2017
This is the next part of the console tech I am curious about. Who has the better AI upscaling tech, Sony or MS? DF kinda brought this up in their latest video and seems to imply DirectML will be capable but worse than DLSS since MS has stated their INT4/8 numbers but we know nothing about Sony.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That would be awesome. DLSS is going to create a serious gap between Consoles and PC if they don't do anything of the sorts.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if they're patenting it now, doesn't mean anything remotely close will be part of the PS5 right ?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The patent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2020148810A1.html
Images on point, this shit is always funny
bX1BNN1.png

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I wonder if there are dedicated cores then? I mean how useful would this actually be without tensor cores.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
wouldn't this require hardware not available on PS5 ? Or would this be software based only (and then not as good as DLSS)

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying without the hardware to support it? As the article says, the PS4 had a version of this, but not hardware supported. We don't know about the PS5 right?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the patent images it looks more like something that runs in their camera for motion tracking. It's hard to tell without anything more than the abstract and some pics.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Patents are nice, but they don't guarantee great products. Let's see what both consoles will be able to do with ML image upscaling. Checkerboarding and other temporal upscaling techniques will still be present, devs will have the choice to pick which approach best fits their project.

Without dedicated hardware? Good luck
Well they have RDNA2, and Wired article mentioned ML support [which is also present in Series X's RDNA2 GPU]:

"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we're seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools."
www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to advance the tech from PS4 checkerboard rendering, especially with PS5 hardware.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Would be a lovely surprise to see this actually work on next-gen launch consoles, but I'm gonna temper my expectations and assume that this patent is all about a mid-gen console refresh.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Well they have RDNA2, and Wired article mentioned ML support [which is also present in Series X's RDNA2 GPU]:

"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we're seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools."
www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

Ohhhh fuck maybe it's possible? I neeeed both consoles to have this. That would open up so many possibilities.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
www.notebookcheck.net

Sony patents tech similar to Nvidia's DLSS, could include it in PS5 consoles to achieve higher FPS counts in 4K games

Sony already has something similar to Nvidia's DLSS with the checkerboard renderer implemented in the PS4 console, but the results are not really on par because of the limited hardware. An improved version integrated with the PS5 could benefit from the more powerful AMD hardware, ensuring that...

Is there an actual paper to look at, because the little excerpt the article presents doesn't sound ANYTHING like DLSS. It sound smor elike some type of scanning of an object. Maybe to scan your ears as Cerny mentioned for HRTF or for camera tracking?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
This patent references a camera input image multiple times.

And there's a diagram of someone posing for a camera.

I would guess it's a Machine Learning based Camera augmentation.

There's even a picture of a skeleton so assuming full body tracking.

I posted in the PS5 thread a translation of the diagrams.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5 Pre-Release Technical Discussion |OT| OT

Hmmm? I'll translate the text in the diagram, but I'm too lazy+noob to read a patent text. From the top: 基準画像取得部: Reference Image Acquisition Unit (51) 基準画像: Reference Image (lr) 変換画像取得部: Image conversion Unit (52) 変換画像: Converted images (lt) 機械学習部: Machine Learning System (53)...

Can someone explain why this is a competitor to DLSS rather than clickbait?

OP
OP

Deleted member 54580

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 7, 2019
This patent references a camera input image multiple times.

And there's a diagram of someone posing for a camera.

I would guess it's a Machine Learning based Camera augmentation.

There's even a picture of a skeleton so assuming full body tracking.

I posted in the PS5 thread a translation of the diagrams.

Well that's incredibly disappointing.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an actual paper to look at, because the little excerpt the article presents doesn't sound ANYTHING like DLSS. It sound smor elike some type of scanning of an object. Maybe to scan your ears as Cerny mentioned for HRTF or for camera tracking?
The PDF is there. It's a camera or something. We're jumping the gun, yet again.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
it's definitely possible. the question is what the performance cost is. Digital Foundry covered this in their recent DLSS vs Checkerboarding video

Yeah that was a good video. But I think the main takeaway is it is less costly than 4K if you have the right hardware. Since so many devs seem intent on 4K, it would be wonderful to see this as the norm instead.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Don't expect anything fruitful until a PS5 Pro and additional hardware being added to the mix.

Oct 27, 2017
That patent is talking about a camera device. It's in the pdf.
Exactly. The patent is in almost all in Japanese but the abstract and some diagrams in the patent sound more like an imaging patent than a DLSS alternative. I really think we should at least attempt to read and understand the patent documents themselves before creating threads about them,

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a software solution it may work to an extent but at a cost elsewhere, most likely cpu grunt. From my understanding DLSS with nvidia is a hardware solution as there is actual hardware for it in the chip