• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Came across this on my timeline.

This takes advertising on your dash to an interesting new level.

Edit. So if you go into your settings and turn off auto-downloads of featured content, you won't get this. Which would explain why I had never seen it on mine.

Double edit. Removed my comparison to Microsoft as it seemed to cause more issues than I had intended.

Last edited:

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Came across this on my timeline.

This takes advertising on your dash to an interesting new level. For all this shit Microsoft copped for ads on the Xbox dash, even they didn't have the stones to go this far.

Pssst... Hey man, you wanna buy some Destiny? I'll swear you'll get hooked.

Diplo

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I was looking to make a thread (i cant, why?) on this, as I have the same thing on my ps4.

This is some bullshit

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me and I already have the physical copy. It's a shit move from them especially that they didn't notify me that they'll be doing this.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah great. Next step is probably adding a non-removable Singstar tile at the front of our home menu again in Europe.
Such a shitty practice.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Settings>System>Automatic Downloads>Uncheck Featured Content

Setting has been there since at least the release of Destiny 1 when I got it for that game.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Have it as well. Time to riot!

Edit: this isn't new? First time I've ever noticed it, though. Good thing you can turn it off easily.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing on mine. Is it because I'm US or because I have Destiny 2 installed?

Edit: Ooh, featured content. I never had that active for as long as it's been a thing.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
They pulled the same thing with the first Destiny. Not cool at all, even if there's an option to turn it off in the system settings. That option is so vague it could mean anything if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
I must have it already off which is why I haven't seen it before.

Seems a tad intrusive to just whack it right amongst your tiles.

If you feel that way or take it that personally sure, but you toggle one thing and never see it again... at least it can be turned off.

You yourself have not and will not experience it for you noticed the setting years ago... must not be that intrusive if you can seemingly notice the setting in settings and turn it off before it ever even occurs to you...

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
PS3 in Europe still has the Singstar ad thing in the games section. And that can't be turned off.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If you feel that way or take it that personally sure, but you toggle one thing and never see it again... at least it can be turned off.

You yourself have not and will not experience it for you noticed the setting years ago... must not be that intrusive if you can seemingly notice the setting in settings and turn it off before it ever even occurs to you...

Having the option to turn it on or off doesnt make it any less intrusive, just easier to deal with. You can use adblock and never see an ad for youtube but that doesnt make the ads that autoplay in the middle of videos any less shitty

Lol I'm sorry it's just a none issue for me personally... all the consoles do it in some form. Some toggleable and some not. We are complaining about a toggleable option.

Don't worry plenty of people complained (and still do) about the one which you can't toggle off.
This is not a console war matter - don't turn it into one, please.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
They pulled the same thing with the first Destiny. Not cool at all, even if there's an option to turn it off in the system settings. That option is so vague it could mean anything if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

It was supposed to be a feature that Mark Cerny wanted, the system would recommend games based on your gaming tastes and places games that you might like in your library, he said this in PS4 reveal. Too bad it didn't evolve into that and just remained a feature to promote Sony marketed games.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
Having the option to turn it on or off doesnt make it any less intrusive, just easier to deal with. You can use adblock and never see an ad for youtube but that doesnt make the ads that autoplay in the middle of videos any less shitty

Lol I'm sorry it's just a none issue for me personally... all the consoles do it in some form. Some toggleable and some not. We are complaining about a toggleable option.

These are companies and businesses first. Our friendly electronic making friends faaaaar second.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
isnt this thing years old?
i remember their being a ruckus over it during destiny 1 when everyone downloaded free trials or the beta and started getting this ad. just turn it off.

OP
OP
Shpeshal Nick

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Noticed what setting? I didn't know that setting was for ads on my dash. I remember seeing a "featured content" setting similar to the PS3.

I had it off there too.

In both case I didn't know what they did. I just knew I didn't want to auto download "featured content".

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did this to people with Singstar on PS3 in Europe. They had (have?) a permanent Singstar tile on the UI.

edit: Yeah, should have read BlueOdin 's post.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA

Don't worry plenty of people complained (and still do) about the one which you can't toggle off.
This is not a console war matter - don't turn it into one, please.

I in no way am, hence why I didn't say any specific names. How about you not turn it into that by trying to label people obviously trying to side step any console war shit as people trying to start it.

Lol you've literally had other people call out other consoles and you're gonna act like me being intentionally vague and referring to console makers as a console war post... smfh

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Can you place a tile for a game you don't own on your tiles? Perhaps it's this.

Though I'll be honest, I don't know why you guys are so hung up on ads for store content. It's not like they can use a pop-up every time you turn your console on, so they have to use the home screen for it. And it's very effective.

I just wished they use it to improve discovery of smaller stuff on the platform rather than promoting the second biggest game of the year.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
The icon remaining after shareplaying was already a bit too intrusive and this is some disgusting shit.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Settings>System>Automatic Downloads>Uncheck Featured Content

Setting has been there since at least the release of Destiny 1 when I got it for that game.

Yup.

This happened years ago too. There was a thread on the other site about it.

Have they not done it in awhile?