• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Jim Ryan will be the new CEO of SIE https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...sony-interactive-entertainment-300793557.html
Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when it comes to BC support for future consoles, this is the guy who publicly stated that few people actually use BC and he publicly asked why people would even want to play PS1 and PS2 games

Again it is a PR attitude maybe not the same when talking inside the company. They can't have BC with PS3, you never give good comment on the competition not only in game industry but in any industry.

Same things for crossplay, this is PR.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Elohim99

Banned
Jan 2, 2019
I'm confident that Ryan will do a good job. All the bullshit he said about backwards compatibility was just PR talk. He's done a good job in Europe, PS is dominating here since it was born.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Kinda surprised that new news emerging with the top people of SIE currently; Ryan, Kodera, and Layden on the same day, just missed Shuhei though.

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
Jim Ryan said many times when he was in charge of SIEE, that the MediEvil IP have no value.

He was wrong, thanks to Shawn Layden. He have heard MediEvil fans and decided to bring it back.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He was simply defending the companies position. There was a time when Sony said rumble was irrelevant as well. That was only because the SixAxis didn't have it. So I doubt that was actually his views on BC. It was more of him just defending the fact that at the time Sony doesn't have BC.

Exactly. It was a poor choice of language to downplay the lack of backward compatibility and cross-play. I think Ryan's willingness to tackle tough subjects is what got him into trouble in the first place. Some of his cut and thrust interviews are hilarious and he seems like an affable person. It's just that on a couple of occasions his openness backfired because he did not have a well considered answer. Let's hope the criticism stung him, enough to put fire in his belly, because he has a wealth of experience that, with a progressive attitude, can serve PlayStation extremely well in future.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have much of an opinion on Jim Ryan although I think he has pretty bad stage presence. But he's been in charge of SCEE for years so I assume he's capable and can manage the job.

I hope he has a mandate to invest in more indie titles like Journey, Resogun and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture again!

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Jim Ryan said many times when he was in charge of SIEE, that the MediEvil IP have no value.

He was wrong, thanks to Shawn Layden. He have heard MediEvil fans and decided to bring it back.
That's interesting to hear. Do we know what titles/IP's Ryan is passionate about?

Strange to see Kodera leaving his position so soon as a CEO. Hopefully this was just a temporary position like some people have assumed in here.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
I don't have much fate in Ryan after all the bullshits he said......ps5 is every day less interesting for me

Elohim99

Banned
Jan 2, 2019

In defense of Ryan the Medievil remaster doesn't look that good from the trailers. It looks pretty cheap when compared to Crash/Spyro/SOTC. Maybe Sony doesn't care that much about Medievil.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, let's just wait and see how Jim Ryan works for the future.

Yeah, I also realized for all the things he said in the past.

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
In defense of Ryan the Medievil remaster doesn't look that good from the trailers. It looks pretty cheap when compared to Crash/Spyro/SOTC. Maybe Sony doesn't care that much about Medievil.

Do you know that MediEvil started development in January 2018 and we've seen that trailer in October, so only 10 months of dev?

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Ryan makes me more interested in the future of Playstation than Kodera tbh. He's shit with PR, and says what the company needs him to say, but he's good at what he does.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
This 2012 all over again. "Sony is doomed" - "Sony is arrogant" - "I miss the old Sony" - "Sony lost to many talent" - "Microsoft may save gaming".

It's actually good that this happens, the best moments in Sony's history were when nobody believed they could do something good. Sony was awful at only one of the four generations that it released consoles, and in the end, still got an incredible turnaround but even so, people still think it will be the end of Sony.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

eeeh, maybe wait until Medievil remake sold well first before saying Jim Ryan is wrong. for all we know, Medievil remake might be a flop. I hope it didn't. I never played Medievil, only know that his design is pretty cool and give me Nightmare Before Christmas vibe, which I love.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eeeh, maybe wait until Medievil remake sold well first before saying Jim Ryan is wrong. for all we know, Medievil remake might be a flop. I hope it didn't. I never played Medievil, only know that his design is pretty cool and give me Nightmare Before Christmas vibe, which I love.

I played it back in the day, it was below average and lame even then, nothing I've seen from the remake shows me it's changed at all from that foundation.

But some people wanted it so we're getting it.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I played it back in the day, it was below average and lame even then, nothing I've seen from the remake shows me it's changed at all from that foundation.

But some people wanted it so we're getting it.
The Tim Burton- esque artsyle is pretty unique. I'd say it deserves some love.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Those interviews with Layden were pretty interesting, seems a really likeable guy and I tend to agree with what he says.

Also, does Koji Pro and ND devs going to Sony HQ have any relevance to the destination PlayStation thing he mentioned?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Have people played Medievil recently? Or just tainted nostalgia glasses are talking?

Is not that great. Is not of the Crash/Spyro level.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Have people played Medievil recently? Or just tainted nostalgia glasses are talking?

Is not that great. Is not of the Crash/Spyro level.
I do agree that gameplay is definitely a bit janky (as the cool kids like to say), but for me the reason I loved medievil was the humour and story interaction (like the hall of heroes)

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Also, does Koji Pro and ND devs going to Sony HQ have any relevance to the destination PlayStation thing he mentioned?

obamaptjxp.gif

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
MediEvil haven't aged very well ok, but the concept it's on another level compared to Spyro and Crash.
The story, characters, music, level design, atmosphere..This game is a gem.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
What!?!?

Edit.
Just re-watched the trailer and all i can say is, you need to go and see a doctor for those eyes of yours.

I love that you went back and watched the trailer again because of what he said lol

Edit: Medievil > Spyro and Crash.

I played the game again on PS3, it was rough but because it was early 3D and they didn't figure the controls and camera, today that shouldn't be a major problem. The design of the game, the adventure, the art, is well above those two franchises. Crash is terrible lol, I can't believe I loved that crap back in the day (CTR is still phenomenal). Spyro is fine but is standard 3D adventure game.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't give much thought to which CEO holds which position. Why? Because there has always been a cohesive and unified front among the SIE top brass. I've never heard them put out conflicting statements. But then, they seem more focused on PS as opposed to social media.

As long as Gio Corsi and Shuhei Yoshida maintain there positions it's a non issue for me, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.