• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2019
y8p3BGx.png

xlbIG0J.png

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/corporate/about/careers/#careerlistings

Holy. Shit.

I saw the webesite, and some stuff really stand out, like this:

San Mateo, CA is hiring for marketing and on Third Party releations:

Global Partner Marketing Manager
San Mateo, CA
Sr. Account Executive, Global Third Party Relations
San Mateo, CA
Sr. eSports Manager (Competitive Gaming Content)
San Mateo, CA
Sr. Partner Marketing Manager
San Mateo, CA

What the hell is the San Mateo studio doing? It was the first time at dice wards that sony talk about that studio.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

San Mateo, CA
San Mateo, CA
San Mateo, CA
San Mateo, CA

What the hell is the San Mateo studio doing? It was the first time at dice wards that sony talk about that studio.
? San Mateo Studio is their team/studio in Sony's headquarter in the US.
They are helping 3rd party studios creating 1st party IPs. For example Insomniac Games with Spider-Man, or First Contact Entertainment with Firewall: Zero Hour. Their external dev team is there for VR stuff (in NA).

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

San Mateo, CA
San Mateo, CA
San Mateo, CA
San Mateo, CA

It's the HQ of SIE

30567030171_3d739801dhnkcz.jpg

sanmateoijkj5.jpg

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We really need to find a consensus on PS5 launch games. I'm not sure if this has been addressed but reading throught the last few pages it becomes apparent that in terms of launch titles PS5 is competing with themselves.

GOW & HZD should be given another year. It pains me to admit that especially since HZD is my Game of the gen thus far. But when you consider the magnum opus aka TLOU2 and Ghost Of Tsushima are still viable options.

When you consider that third party are going to want in on PS5's launch hype. Games like Watch Dogs 3 (I thought WD2 was a blast) COD and other games looking to showcase on the new hardware, I don't think it makes much sense for Sony to put their best and brightest in that launch window.
https://screenrant.com/watch-dogs-3-trademark-ubisoft/

Especially since they've made a habit of giving their own ip room to resonate via their launch window And Sam Witwer's (Deacon from Days Gone) interview where he stressed that Sony refuses to compete with themselves.

God of War 2 won't be a launch title anyway, not even a 2nd year title, HZD has a chance though and Sony will need at least one or two exclusives to entice people over.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys think about a Twisted Metal Battle royale game for ps5. One of my friends was thinking about that and man does that sound kind of awesome.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
ah ok, but at dice the annouance the San mateo studio dint they?
well... that studio existed already, but it is not doing anything major, mostly assisting other WWS dev teams.
i will say it was odd seeing san mateo studio listed over there, because they rarely get mentioned. but nothing so far that is showing they are making a game of themselves i think so no reason to think about it right now.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am not usually hyped for MP centric games but I gotta say I am excited to see what Layden comments about it means... we havent seen a Sony AAA online focused game since forever (GT Sports I guess?), and I bet they could hit it big now that they are pumping out record breaking titles after record breaking titles.

I think it would be smart of them to make TLOU2 multiplayer have a Battle Royale mode and make it free for everyone, separed from the single player mode. The IP has a huge following and its name alone will attract a lot of people.

They can also monetize it with PlayStation character cosmetics. Could be really, really big.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well... that studio existed already, but it is not doing anything major, mostly assisting other WWS dev teams.
i will say it was odd seeing san mateo studio listed over there, because they rarely get mentioned. but nothing so far that is showing they are making a game of themselves i think so no reason to think about it right now.
Well they are the new "Foster City Studio" now (relocated from Foster City). They won't make games by themselves. It's all about supporting other studios for 1st party content :)

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
God of War 2 won't be a launch title anyway, not even a 2nd year title, HZD has a chance though and Sony will need at least one or two exclusives to entice people over.
With UC4, Horizon, GoW, and now Days Gone, Sony is cementing that Spring period as when we can expect a huge new 1st Party exclusive. That's why I think Horizon 2 will be a Spring 2021 title and launch's big game will be Ratchet and Clank. I'm expecting GoT to be a Spring 2020 game, and I really do think either TLOU2 or Death Stranding is coming this year. So the other could be a cross-gen launch title.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What do you guys think about a Twisted Metal Battle royale game for ps5. One of my friends was thinking about that and man does that sound kind of awesome.
Normally don't want mp shoehorned into existing franchises but honestly BR would fit it like a glove. The Last one was incredibly fun when it worked online and it deserves another shot now. Would be perfect for a next gen launch game.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, they launched with Knack and KZ2 and look where we are today. I timed exclusive that showcases the PS4 would be enough. TLOU2 and WD3 alongside a marketing deal for next gen COD? All showcasing PS5?

You don't need much else. Especially not here in Europe.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With UC4, Horizon, GoW, and now Days Gone, Sony is cementing that Spring period as when we can expect a huge new 1st Party exclusive. That's why I think Horizon 2 will be a Spring 2021 title and launch's big game will be Ratchet and Clank. I'm expecting GoT to be a Spring 2020 game, and I really do think either TLOU2 or Death Stranding is coming this year. So the other could be a cross-gen launch title.

I wouldn't be surprised if Horizon 2 is PS5 exclusive and launching with it in late 2020, TLOU2 will probably be next year's spring/summer tentpole.

And yeah hopefully Death Stranding comes this year, I feel it'll get crowded out and look less impressive if it releases around next gen.

I mean, they launched with Knack and KZ2 and look where we a re today. I timed exclusive that showcases the PS4 would be enough. TLOU2 and WD3 along side a marketing deal for next gen COD? All showcasing PS5?

You don't need much else. Especially not here in Europe.

Absolutely, even if PS5 had Knack 3 and yet another Killzone that ended up mediocre I still see it doing gangbusters on hype and third parties alone.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
I like that idea, I would be interested.

I also would like a TLOU MP mode that was Battle Royale. I think it could work. TLOU is already about scavenging for supplies. The clickers could be wondering the map as well to mix things up. I just don't know the vehicle for getting people to the map while keeping it believable, a plane wouldn't make sense. That's what I loved about TLOU MP is how it felt like an extension of SP and stated pretty grounded.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, even if PS5 had Knack 3 and yet another Killzone that ended up mediocre I still see it doing gangbusters on hype and third parties alone.

You guys in this thread are awesome but reading "some" of the replies here... I mean, I get the sense that "some" of the strategy talk is reactionary and not based on the actual market. In reality the momentum and mind share Sony is/has built this generation is beyond any marketing spend from the competition.

I feel like Sony is going to compete with themselves next generation. Perhaps I'm over confident, but to me, Sony is competing with themselves currently. So there really isn't a need to cram everything into the launch window.

Next Gen Fifa, COD and a third party action adventure title is enough here in Europe.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I also would like a TLOU MP mode that was Battle Royale. I think it could work. TLOU is already about scavenging for supplies. The clickers could be wondering the map as well to mix things up. I just don't know the vehicle for getting people to the map while keeping it believable, a plane wouldn't make sense. That's what I loved about TLOU MP is how it felt like an extension of SP and stated pretty grounded.

Horses maybe?

Oct 25, 2017
You guys in this thread are awesome but reading some of the replies here I get the sense that "some" of the strategy talk is reactionary and not based on the actual market. In reality the momentum and mind share Sony is/has built this generation is beyond any marketing spend from the competition.

I feel like Sony is going to compete with themselves next generation. Perhaps I'm over confident, but to me, Sony is competing with themselves currently.
Without a doubt. Sony is their own worst enemy. That is the best possible position to be in really.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Take the Blackout route of attaching popular maps together to form the first map. And by popular maps, I mean attach all of the maps from Twisted Metal 2 together. Obviously they'll be expanded upon, but also make sure all of the destruction is in place as well.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

I'd just make it a system where you pick your spawn before the match and you spawn there.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
You guys in this thread are awesome but reading "some" of the replies here... I mean, I get the sense that "some" of the strategy talk is reactionary and not based on the actual market. In reality the momentum and mind share Sony is/has built this generation is beyond any marketing spend from the competition.

I feel like Sony is going to compete with themselves next generation. Perhaps I'm over confident, but to me, Sony is competing with themselves currently. So there really isn't a need to cram everything into the launch window.

Next Gen Fifa, COD and a third party action adventure title is enough here in Europe.
I feel like you need something exclusive that showcases the new hardware at launch as an extra incentive. I agree btw but I can see a couple of games we're not expecting to be launch games.

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Polyphony has already a lot of car models remade in GTS, new Gran Turismo is likely for launch window to promote online multiplayer and PSVR2. Maybe some exclusive from a third party developer. Then there will probably be some smaller games (like Resogun/Knack with PS4).

So fall 2020 and 2021 could look something like this:
- Gran Turismo 7 (launch, for the reasons stated aboce)
- Wild (launch, that's why they're quiet about it, right..?)
- Japan Studio game (launch, surprise us with something not named Knack)
- New Ratchet & Clank (spring 2021, remake was a success so...)
- Horizon Zero Dawn 2 (spring 2021)
- Some 3rd party collaboration (fall 2021, FromSoftware?)
- PlayLink / VR games etc.

... for giggles yet another Accurate Prediction list:

2022:
- God of War 2 (spring)
- Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (fall)
- Housemarque's new game
- PixelOpus new game

2023:
- Media Molecule's new game (spring)
- Days Gone 2 (summer)
- Death Stranding 2 (fall)

2024:
- Guerrilla Games multiplayer (spring)
- Ghost of Tsushima 2 (spring)
- Naughty Dog's new IP (fall)

Plans can change though...

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017

I mentioned above, but if there was to be a battle royale game, is prefer it to be based on all the Sony Characters, but using the Naughty Dogs multiplayer game. It would be the modern version of a Sony All-Stars games.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that Polyphony has already a lot of car models remade in GTS, new Gran Turismo is likely for launch window to promote online multiplayer and PSVR2. Maybe some exclusive from a third party developer. Then there will probably be some smaller games (like Resogun/Knack with PS4).

2022:
- God of War 2 (spring)
- Housemarque's new game
- PixelOpus new game

2023:
- Days Gone 2 (summer)

2024:

Counting on Polophony to be on time ever is not something i'd advise, it won't surprise me if we're still wondering where the next Gran Turismo is well into next gen.

Your other predictions for launch seem fine but beyond that it would be fairly miraculous if every one of those dev's smoothly released sequels at such a steady pace.

Depending on how big the jump is next gen we might have games taking even longer to come out.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I was reviewing the history of God of War 2018's development and found out how Sony actually didn't want Santa Monica to make another God of War game and wanted them to make a new IP. I thought that was kinda funny seeing Sony initially refuse another entry in one of their very popular franchises due to one game not performing as well. I also wonder how Sony's first-party is managed. I know there are people like Shannon Studstill and Christophe Balestra leading their respective Studios but what authority does a "studio head" or president of a development studio have? How does someone like Shawn Layden have authority over the studio heads?

Oct 25, 2017
Counting on Polophony to be on time ever is not something i'd advise, it won't surprise me if we're still wondering where the next Gran Turismo is well into next gen.

Your other predictions for launch seem fine but beyond that it would be fairly miraculous if every one of those dev's smoothly released sequels at such a steady pace.

Depending on how big the jump is next gen we might have games taking even longer to come out.
It's true that Polyphony might take some time but I believe they have the nuts and bolts to build the next game a lot faster. Gran Turismo Sport took so much time because they redid pretty much everything.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without a doubt. Sony is their own worst enemy. That is the best possible position to be in really.
I feel like you need something exclusive that showcases the new hardware at launch as an extra incentive. I agree btw but I can see a couple of games we're not expecting to be launch games.

It's sometimes difficult because a lot of the reactionary posts here, are based on whats going on in other OTs. But when you consider Playstations position in terms of momentum and mindshare then couple that with a few stats... Like the fact that in 2018, Sony sold more hardware in their last quarter than their competition sold that entire year. Worldwide the competition sold less than 2.something million...

And so "some" of the posts here become a bit of a head scratcher. That aside, at the start of this gen the third party showcase was Battlefield 4. That levolution tech and Frosbite engine really pushed the tech and looked nothing like what were used to. And while I don't know what games the PS4 will launch with I'm certain that the third parties are looking to Sony because of that world wide reach.

Here in Europe Fifa and COD captures the casual market with relative ease. Showcasing PS5 footage of both, with exclusive content. And that's pretty much a wrap in terms of the broader audience. And while I personally, can't wait and get damn near giddy thinking about how PS exclusives will harness and leverage the next gen tech, I remember that this generation Sony pretty much cultivated the "Non holiday release" window to unrivaled success. So there exclusives probably wont launch there.

When it comes to Sony's release structure I'd urge you all to listen to this minute of audio. Found here 34:40 - 35:40. It's essential viewing in terms of the discussion about launch exclusives.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017

2022:
- God of War 2 (spring)
- Housemarque's new game
- PixelOpus new game

2023:
- Days Gone 2 (summer)

2024:

That 2022 GoW-to-Spidey combo is a killer

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I was reviewing the history of God of War 2018's development and found out how Sony actually didn't want Santa Monica to make another God of War game and wanted them to make a new IP. I thought that was kinda funny seeing Sony initially refuse another entry in one of their very popular franchises due to one game not performing as well. I also wonder how Sony's first-party is managed. I know there are people like Shannon Studstill and Christophe Balestra leading their respective Studios but what authority does a "studio head" or president of a development studio have? How does someone like Shawn Layden have authority over the studio heads?

Shawn Layden, as the chairman and overall head of WWS - pretty much have the highest level of authority within the first-party structure. His role is basically, portfolio and strategy management.

He makes high level decisions like "with this budget that we have, we should invest in X-amount of AAA games, plan ahead what kind of annual portfolio will look like for them at a high level, decide how to allocate those resources across different regions and studios, etc."

He also establishes the core foundation of what his direct reports need to do. So, for example "first, best, must" is most likely a Shawn-directive, and basically Shu, Scott, Denny, people who review hundreds of pitches and potential partnerships with external partners must decide what game to fund based on that strategy.

Studio heads... manage the entire studio, basically. Everything is a smaller scale version of what Shawn does. At a studio level, she manages the resources ( headcount of studio, direction of studio, what the teams need to aim for, etc ) allocated to him/her and decides how best to pursue the strategy that is allowed to the them.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Out of curiosity, does Insomniac run multiple dev teams? We know they'll be working on Spider-Man 2, but how many other dev teams do they have running to make other games at the same time?

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'd be up for a Killzone return but it needs a God of War sized makeover,it's the only multiplayer shooter I've ever really enjoyed due to it's more sedate pace.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Out of curiosity, does Insomniac run multiple dev teams? We know they'll be working on Spider-Man 2, but how many other dev teams do they have running to make other games at the same time?
It sounds like you want Insomniac to work on a new Ratchet & Clank game (either a sequel to the Future series or to the 2016 remake). :P

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
There is a kind of secrecy around days gone's story So , what do you guys think , is it because sony is confident it is good or it's the other way around?!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer getting TLOU2, Death Stranding and Cyberpunk cross-gen games as the PS5 launch titles over Knack 3 and Shadowfall 2 (or their quality equivalents) tbh

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Which is crazy fast when you look at the dev time for Days Gone

Very different situations though. Don't want to take anything away from Insomniac since Spider-Man is an incredible project done surprisingly fast, but Bend was only 45 people strong when Days Gone started. It's their first home console game in a while, a new IP centered around a big open-world game in a brand new engine for them and as time went on, the game only grew in scope and demanded more staff and time. They only got over a 100 staff in early 2017, it's not really surprising that it took a lot of time to get this done

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone dev time is normal for AAA new IP, SpiderMan being developed in less than 4 years is just insane.

Insomniac is just absurdly talented and well managed.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Very different situations though. Don't want to take anything away from Insomniac since Spider-Man is an incredible project done surprisingly fast, but Bend was only 45 people strong when Days Gone started. It's their first home console game in a while, a new IP centered around a big open-world game in a brand new engine for them and as time went on, the game only grew in scope and demanded more staff and time. They only got over a 100 staff in early 2017, it's not really surprising that it took a lot of time to get this done

Yep .
I think people forget how small Bend was\ is .
It should also be menation that spidey had IG biggest team ever working on it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It sounds like you want Insomniac to work on a new Ratchet & Clank game (either a sequel to the Future series or to the 2016 remake). :P

lol, maybe. But since people are speculating on what's coming up next I was curious to know if Insomniac would have the reserve manpower to crank out another title. So say for a moment their other dev teams aren't working on a R&C game, any speculation on what they could be doing? Of course the other games could either be MS exclusive or multi-plat, just wondering if there's any other speculation or indication of what they could be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.