• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sony might have 13-ish studios, but honestly that amount is not enough to sustain their AAA cadence annually. Just like MS and Nintendo, they still to rely on external partnerships to supplement their internally developed content and there's no reason to believe that will change anytime soon.

If anything, my read of Shawn's teasing is that instead of partnering with RAD/Quantic Dream/etc for next gen, they'll instead want to find and work with devs with multiplayer cadence and experience to develop AAA titles that has a stronger MP focus. Who knows, the devs we see working with Sony for first-party games on PS5 might not be anyone we expect.
Unexpected would definitely be good. Surprise us and change things up.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think one of the big three is going to be pushed to be a cross gen/be used to show off ps5 backwards compatibility. Hell I always thought GoT looked way too good for the ps4

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
My take is they're so comfortably in the lead that right now are using this margin to get some downtime for developers. I'm not sure it was the most appropiate time, but it probably had to be done at some point. It's just unusual. Since Infamous and MLB released in 2014, this is probably the quietest start of a year for PS4 exclusives. Of course, the full picture is that third-parties are hitting all the right notes on the system, so it's reasonable they wouldn't want to compete with Capcom, S-E and the rest. Saturation is bad business, after all.

The silence is what gets me. But I hope once they decide to talk, it's gonna be worth it.

Oct 31, 2017
Well it's different because games are taking longer and longer. Do you know in the span of 7 years Sucker Punch released Sly 2, Sly 3, Infamous 1 & 2 and Festival of Blood? Compare that to now where it will most likely be 6 years before we get a new game from them as Ghost of Tsushima is likely 2020. The same goes for Naughty Dog who in the span of 7 years on the PS3 put out Uncharted 1-3 and TLOU but from 2013-2020 will have only released 2 titles (Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2) and one shorter game in Lost Legacy. Insomniac released 3 Resistance titles and what 3 or 4 Ratchet games on PS3 but has only released 2 titles on PS4. Polyphony will likely end up with 1 title on PS4. It's just taking these teams longer and longer which is going to lead to droughts in the future for exclusives.

The "shorter" Uncharted is a full-length Uncharted game that's just as meaty, if not moreso, than the PS3 ones. If anything, they released a full-length game in a year and released two games this gen so far.

Insomniac released many games this gen from consoles to mobile to VR; it's just that only two of them were PS4 exclusives. Their games were:

Bad Dinos
Digit & Dash
Edge of Nowhere
Feral Rites
Fruit Fusion
Marvel's Spider-Man
Ratchet & Clank
Seedling
Slow Down, Bull
Song of the Deep
Sunset Overdrive
The Unspoken

People should stop looking at number of games and start looking at what the games offer since it's a lot easier to make a small game like Sly compared to something like Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's also partly due to the fact that Sony delays for polish now. If they had done that on the PS3, I'm positive we'd have gotten fewer games, but things like the shoddy aiming at UC3's launch, the massive waves of enemies and backtracking in UC1, and the graphics as a whole of Infamous 1 would have been ironed out. And considering there's actually a lot of praise for Gran Turismo Sport's gameplay, whereas Gran Turismo 6 released quietly and was not a memorable game, that's probably for the better.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Whats 100% gonna release this year?
Days Gone
MediEvil
Dreams
Concrete Genie
MLB
I believe that 1 out of Big 3 will release in 2019 too
And we got confirmed unannounced games.

As you can see 2019-2020 is filled with software. And thats not talking about countless defacto japanese consoles exclusives

Countless might be a "little" too much, dont you think?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My take is they're so comfortably in the lead that right now are using this margin to get some downtime for developers. I'm not sure it was the most appropiate time, but it probably had to be done at some point. It's just unusual. Since Infamous and MLB released in 2014, this is probably the quietest start of a year for PS4 exclusives. Of course, the full picture is that third-parties are hitting all the right notes on the system, so it's reasonable they wouldn't want to compete with Capcom, S-E and the rest. Saturation is bad business, after all.

The silence is what gets me. But I hope once they decide to talk, it's gonna be worth it.

If all this is to ensure the best launch possible for the PS5 then i'm all for it, the PS3 to PS4 was kinda messy in retrospect, with a few titles like Gran Turismo 6 being left to languish on last gen hardware while the populace went all in on the new Playstation.

Oct 31, 2017
Ultimately, with team sizes and budgets and time getting so high, there needs to be a huge push to reduce costs and development time. As AI improves, it'll take more time to implement it, so that should have to change. They're already doing things like creating engines and allowing other companies to use said engine (which is why Kojima got a head start on Death Stranding). I hope they can figure it out because I'd hate if there was some bubble that burst when there are so many talented developers making really fun and great AAA titles.

If all this is to ensure the best launch possible for the PS5 then i'm all for it, the PS3 to PS4 was kinda messy in retrospect, with a few titles like Gran Turismo 6 being left to languish on last gen hardware while the populace went all in on the new Playstation.

I've come to realize that, so far, Sony has yet to launch a console with a slew of impressive first party games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The "shorter" Uncharted is a full-length Uncharted game that's just as meaty, if not moreso, than the PS3 ones. If anything, they released a full-length game in a year and released two games this gen so far.

Yep people just looking at the number but not looking at how much bigger or longer the games are .
UC4 was much longer than any UC game and the nGOW is so much bigger it almost 2 plus GOW games in content .
HZD much bigger and longer than any KZ game .
I much rather more content per game when the content is this good.

Also with GaaS i much rather a game like GT with 1 game per gen early in the gen with up dates .

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Whats 100% gonna release this year?
Days Gone
MediEvil
Dreams
Concrete Genie
MLB
I believe that 1 out of Big 3 will release in 2019 too
And we got confirmed unannounced games.

As you can see 2019-2020 is filled with software. And thats not talking about countless defacto japanese consoles exclusives

Hopefully Blood & Truth.

Got already rated in Australia.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
So, about Insomniac. Given their efficiency It's possible they have a new R&C ready for PS4 but I wish they keep it as a PS5 launch title just to see the graphics. R&C PS4 looks crazy already. I can't imagine how a PS5 version looks.

e1it3g4m3r

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
I adore Sony Bend's prior work (they work Rockstars on the the psp and made the best Uncharted imo) but I am very worried about how Days Gone turns out... It just does not look like it will be a quality game like Spiderman or God of War.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Loudninja
aE9SRS8.jpg

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I adore Sony Bend's prior work (they work Rockstars on the the psp and made the best Uncharted imo) but I am very worried about how Days Gone turns out... It just does not look like it will be a quality game like Spiderman or God of War.
It will be a good game and score around 80 on Metacritic imo. But don't forget that in the first years, Days Gone got developed by a 60 to 80 men/women team. Compared to the 200+ teams at Sony Santa Monica and Insomniac Games. Days Gone looks fantastic for that. And their next game will be even better, with a bigger budget and a bigger team (they're around 130 right now).

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Ultimately, with team sizes and budgets and time getting so high, there needs to be a huge push to reduce costs and development time. As AI improves, it'll take more time to implement it, so that should have to change. They're already doing things like creating engines and allowing other companies to use said engine (which is why Kojima got a head start on Death Stranding). I hope they can figure it out because I'd hate if there was some bubble that burst when there are so many talented developers making really fun and great AAA titles.

I've come to realize that, so far, Sony has yet to launch a console with a slew of impressive first party games.

Which i think they are fixing with them pulling out of E3. I believe they are going to take a more Nintendo approach in showing games much closer to release rather than show them 3 years out.

Hope I'm right.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I will be a good game and score around 80 on Metacritic imo. But don't forget that in the first years, Days Gone got developed by a 60 to 80 men/women team. Compared to the 200+ teams at Sony Santa Monica and Insomniac Games. Days Gone looks fantastic for that. And their next game will be even better, with a bigger budget and a bigger team (they're around 130 right now).

Frankly,i hope it won't be Days Gone sequel but something else.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
I hope we don't have to wait until TGS in September until we hear what Japan Studio is working on. :(

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
In my fantasy Santa Monica would bring in David Jaffe and let him create his old team from incognito/SSM to create an epic new Twisted Metal or new IP.

I believe he still has it in him to create a pure gameplay driven epic AAA game despite him moving away to indie sized games. The last Twisted Metal had best in series gameplay but was marred by other things like crappy servers and short story mode.

e1it3g4m3r

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
It will be a good game and score around 80 on Metacritic imo. But don't forget that in the first years, Days Gone got developed by a 60 to 80 men/women team. Compared to the 200+ teams at Sony Santa Monica and Insomniac Games. Days Gone looks fantastic for that. And their next game will be even better, with a bigger budget and a bigger team (they're around 130 right now).
I guess we will see, hopefully it turns out great like you say. Hopefully they have a next game. Didn't the Order 1886 end RAD?

e1it3g4m3r

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
In my fantasy Santa Monica would bring in David Jaffe and let him create his old team from incognito/SSM to create an epic new Twisted Metal or new IP.

I believe he still has it in him to create a pure gameplay driven epic AAA game despite him moving away to indie sized games. The last Twisted Metal had best in series gameplay but was marred by other things like crappy servers and short story mode.
Jaffe is one of the greatest of all time as far as western Devs go imo. He created some of playstation's most iconic franchises but that much sheer creativity must have taken a tole on him. Thus wanting to work with smaller teams via indie work.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess we will see, hopefully it turns out great like you say. Hopefully they have a next game. Didn't the Order 1886 end RAD?
Sony Bend Studio is doing great and will be doing great after Days Gone.
What do you mean with "end RAD"? Ready at Dawn is doing fine. They made some great VR games and they're currently working on their next big AAA game.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think there are any publisher out there who would be willing to invest large amount of resources for him. For me, the last straw was Drawn to Death, which was just abysmal title.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very worried about future years in terms of exclusives. This generation Sony got several exclusives from other developers to help their lineups. From Software with Bloodborne, Quantic Dream with Detroit, RAD with The Order, SuperMassive with Until Dawn and games like Persona 5, NieR Automata, and Nioh to go along with Horizon in 2017. Going into next gen they may not have any of those studios making exclusives for them. It also seems to be taking their studios longer and longer to put out games.

It has now been 5 years since Sucker Punch released a game and may end up being 6 if GoT doesn't release until 2020. Who's to say we won't have to wait another 4-5 years after that for another game from them? Media Molecule still hasn't released Dreams and the generation is almost over. What do they do after that and how long will it take? The same goes for Sony Bend who took seven years to release a new game. I just worry that in 2 years we may get a year or two where we only get 1 or 2 exclusives in the whole year. That would be a major bummer.

Every studio you just mentioned is tackling a new IP and are gunning for the moon with their titles.
Dreams is literally LBP on steriods
Bend is working on their first new IP in 20 years, first open-world game, first AAA console game in 10+ years etc.
SP is working on a new IP.

If anything, once these games are out and the studios have a foundation to work from, expect relatively quick sequels to all these now new existing IP.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Man I might be one of the few people that liked the order despite its flaws. I love the setting, the characters, if only they had the length, made the story a bit better and the shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.