• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
What are the chances that this new studio is not working on a new UC? I guess my question is where did this rumor come from? If it came from a credible source than good, but if it just pure era speculation then I think some of you might be setting yourselves up for disappointment.
Ya I don't doubt UC will return some day, I just found it odd that ppl are talking about it as if there's some sort of hard evidence that this new studio is working on a new UC game lol.

I copy/paste in this post (https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...-were-skipping-3.88555/page-175#post-18913710) the job openings

- Are you an experienced game developer with a penchant for high quality, 3rd person, Action/Adventure games?
- Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with the Visual Arts Service Group (VASG), an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning.
- This high visibility project is being developed in collaboration with a major Sony development studio.
Yes this is speculation but what other franchise fits with "3rd person, action/adventure game in collab with VASG and a major Sony studio" when a certain studio (ND) just finished the last title of their franchise months ago (Uncharted Lost Legacy) ?

And this VASG studio is "responsible for the cinematic performances in premier Sony PlayStation franchises like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Killzone, and other iconic series."

+ this :
- Lead Character Artist: "We are looking for a highly talented, motivated, and creative Lead Character Artist for the next chapter of cinematic storytelling."
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...eculation-that-it-could-be-uncharted-5.90160/

I mean, stars are aligned for an Uncharted game

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the new team will be called..
Do they go with the typical "Sony location" naming or do they straight up name it something that's related to whatever they're working on, like "Eldorado" or "sic parvis magna" lol.

Oct 25, 2017
It is a bait and switch. It will be a new action/adventure IP.

Do they go with the typical "Sony location" naming or do they straight up name it something that's related to whatever they're working on, like "Eldorado" or "sic parvis magna" lol.
I think they should go the Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, etc.. route. Have their own name.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
It is a bait and switch. It will be a new action/adventure IP.

I think they should go the Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, etc.. route. Have their own name.

I feel like if I was a business i'd always talk about the companies by their DBAs vs their actual names anyways. I feel like Sony Santa Monica definitely has a nickname that just didn't stick lol

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Tell that to Gio Corsi.
Gio Corsi isn't part of WWS so he's using a completely different definition than anyone else anyway, which just reiterates that it's a made-up term that means whatever you want it to mean.

I copy/paste in this post (https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...-were-skipping-3.88555/page-175#post-18913710) the job openings

Yes this is speculation but what other franchise fits with "3rd person, action/adventure game in collab with VASG and a major Sony studio" when a certain studio (ND) just finished the last title of their franchise months ago (Uncharted Lost Legacy) ?

And this VASG studio is "responsible for the cinematic performances in premier Sony PlayStation franchises like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Killzone, and other iconic series."

+ this :

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...eculation-that-it-could-be-uncharted-5.90160/

Plenty of games could fit that description, including TLOU2 multiplayer. Nowhere does it say they're working on a single player game.

And I really don't know why people always bring up that VASG job listing as if it means anything. We're talking about the same VASG that's currently working on TLOU2, Death Stranding and GoT and will inevitably work on Horizon 2 and GoW2 too, right? Yet "next chapter of cinematic storytelling" HAS to be referring to a new Uncharted from a new studio? What?

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I hope Uncharted is getting a breather. A first party fighting game would be a breath of fresh air. Sony should ask SEGA for the Virtua Fighter IP.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

+ this :

I see where the speculation is coming from, I just think it's just as likely to be something else.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Gio Corsi isn't part of WWS so he's using a completely different definition than anyone else anyway, which just reiterates that it's a made-up term that means whatever you want it to mean.

Plenty of games could fit that description, including TLOU2 multiplayer. Nowhere does it say they're working on a single player game.

And I really don't know why people always bring up that VASG job listing as if it means anything. We're talking about the same VASG that's currently working on TLOU2, Death Stranding and GoT and will inevitably work on Horizon 2 and GoW2 too, right? Yet "next chapter of cinematic storytelling" HAS to be referring to a new Uncharted from a new studio? What?

Exactly

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Studios named after what they're working on is dumb. It pegs them to one thing forever. Every time I see the coalition and 343i I just roll my eyes.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

Ok then, please tell me what are these games if there is plenty of them. Because I could only see Uncharted or inFamous which fit the description (or a new IP and even if it's a new IP, why would they need a collaboration with another studio ?)
Keep in mind that it has to fit with :
- 3rd person
- Action/Adventure games
- Using VASG expertise in previous titles
- Collab with a major Sony studio
- Cinematic storytelling

Given the fact that :
- former Naughty Dog devs are in this team
- this team exist since May 2018 (8 months after the last Uncharted / 4 years after the last inFamous game)
- Uncharted is one of the biggest IP of PlayStation
An Uncharted game is more likely than inFamous

And the "next chapter of cinematic storytelling" doesn't refer to Uncharted specifically of course. It's just another description of what they could do within this new team at San Diego.

For that TLOU2 multiplayer, the job description wouldn't fit
Though currently unannounced [about the title], we have a clear vision and plan to release. The new game development team will leverage our existing expertise and premier talent, guaranteeing a high visual quality bar for the title.
Especially when Naughty Dog has its own multiplayer team within the studio

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Smash aside fighting games don't sell that much. A new, fresh Uncharted is a 10M LTD contender.
True, but some games have to be made to bolster the platform (PS5 in this case) and not for profit. Getting an IP like VF or making something fresh that has traction in the FGC would be a nice marketing push. As fighters are a great graphics showcase at launch.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
is there a chance in hell Lost Soul Aside releases this year? Project Awakening seems years away and Lost Soul fufills my need of "Really cool looking eastern games that I'm completely ready to be disappointed by but super excited for"

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

+ this :

Sounds like Syphon Filter to me since Bend is tied up. Oh I must be dreaming...

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Ok then, please tell me what are these games if there is plenty of them. Because I could only see Uncharted or inFamous which fit the description (or a new IP and even if it's a new IP, why would they need a collaboration with another studio ?)
- 3rd person
- Action/Adventure games
- Cinematic storytelling

Given the fact that :
- this team exist since May 2018 (8 months after the last Uncharted / 4 years after the last inFamous game)

And the "next chapter of cinematic storytelling" doesn't refer to Uncharted specifically of course. It's just another description of what they could do within this new team at San Diego.

1. Action/Adventure is a massive "catch-all" genre that includes everything from Uncharted to Hitman to Resident Evil to Zelda.
2. VASG do more than just cinematic cutscenes, they assist with gameplay animation, scanning and art too.
3. There's no mention of cinematic storytelling in relation to this studio or project. The job listing you're thinking of was for VASG, NOT the new studio. VASG are/will work on TLOU2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon 2 and God of War 2, so them hiring for a position that involves cinematic storytelling is self explanatory. I don't know why I need to keep bringing this up.

So no, there's a LOT of games that could fit that description.

As for your facts:
1. Yeah, they hired two former Naughty Dog devs but Quentin Cobb worked mostly on multiplayer at Naughty Dog, not single player. And if you look at the rest of the team we know about, they mostly come from multiplayer backgrounds.
2. Being founded 8 months after the last Uncharted game came out isn't a sign of anything Uncharted related, if anything you'd want to found an Uncharted studio before Naughty Dog dropped it so they could keep its momentum going. Just look at 343, it was founded in 2007, the same year Halo 3 came out and three years before Bungie released their last Halo, Reach.
3. Of course Uncharted is one of Sony's biggest IPs and that's why I believed the speculation at first but since then, this new studio has hired a lot of devs with MP backgrounds and that changed my mind. I'm sure Sony will bring Uncharted back at some point but I don't think it'll be by this team.

Finally, the part about their project being unannounced does throw a wrench in my theory but my take is TLOU2 multiplayer hasn't been announced yet, so I think it still works. Everything else fits though.

And while Naughty Dog does have a multiplayer team, they aren't set up to support their multiplayer long-term, they support their games for about a year and then drop support so they can start working on their next game. We know thanks to Shawn Layden that Sony wants more success in the MP arena, so it makes a lot of sense to me that they'd establish a team that can continue long-term support for the sequel to one of the best MP games Sony's released.

Oct 25, 2017
The hand-to-hand combat for The Last of Us Part II multiplayer is going to be very interesting if they can achieve a smooth animation with the motion matching tech.
BFSk8k2.gif

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
1. Action/Adventure is a massive "catch-all" genre that includes everything from Uncharted to Hitman to Resident Evil to Zelda.
2. VASG do more than just cinematic cutscenes, they assist with gameplay animation, scanning and art too.
3. There's no mention of cinematic storytelling in relation to this studio or project. The job listing you're thinking of was for VASG, NOT the new studio. VASG are/will work on TLOU2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon 2 and God of War 2, so them hiring for a position that involves cinematic storytelling is self explanatory. I don't know why I need to keep bringing this up.

So no, there's a LOT of games that could fit that description.

As for your facts:
1. Yeah, they hired two former Naughty Dog devs but Quentin Cobb worked mostly on multiplayer at Naughty Dog, not single player. And if you look at the rest of the team we know about, they mostly come from multiplayer backgrounds.
2. Being founded 8 months after the last Uncharted game came out isn't a sign of anything Uncharted related, if anything you'd want to found an Uncharted studio before Naughty Dog dropped it so they could keep its momentum going. Just look at 343, it was founded in 2007, the same year Halo 3 came out and three years before Bungie released their last Halo, Reach.
3. Of course Uncharted is one of Sony's biggest IPs and that's why I believed the speculation at first but since then, this new studio has hired a lot of devs with MP backgrounds and that changed my mind. I'm sure Sony will bring Uncharted back at some point but I don't think it'll be by this team.

Finally, the part about their project being unannounced does throw a wrench in my theory but my take is TLOU2 multiplayer hasn't been announced yet, so I think it still works. Everything else fits though.

And while Naughty Dog does have a multiplayer team, they aren't set up to support their multiplayer long-term, they support their games for about a year and then drop support so they can start working on their next game. We know thanks to Shawn Layden that Sony wants more success in the MP arena, so it makes a lot of sense to me that they'd establish a team that can continue long-term support for the sequel to one of the best MP games Sony's released.

I understand now !
Just don't agree with that TLOU multiplayer, is there a Game Director just for the multiplayer ? Because according to LinkedIn, David Hall was hired as Game Director at San Diego

Unless in the other development studio/team, there are 2 game directors, one for the campaign and the other for the multiplayer, I don't see this team on the multiplayer of TLOU

Or David Hall isn't part of this new team

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think Uncharted needs a good break (5+ years), I think it's in that spot Gears, GoW and Halo where when they past 3 or "ended" and a quick-ish follow up won't do close to Uncharted 4 numbers.

I dunno, I wouldn't say no to another one with Chloe. Plus I really need more of that multiplayer. I think I'd even prefer Uncharted get the battle Royale treatment than TLOU.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I wouldn't say no to another one with Chloe. Plus I really need more of that multiplayer. I think I'd even prefer Uncharted get the battle Royale treatment than TLOU.
I wouldn't be against more smaller scale Lost Legacy type Uncharteds either, I think that'd be a great direction to take it in honestly. None would probably do Uncharted 4 numbers, but they wouldn't really need to and they could jump between the crew and timeline a lot more freely with each game. Like a peak Sully game or like you said more Chloe or just different genres, without the massive expectations of matching 4.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
"Expansion isn't in the plans"

The studios just expanded. Not sure anything else needs to be said there or read from that guy.

Oct 27, 2017

+ this :

- 3rd person
- Action/Adventure games
- Cinematic storytelling

Given the fact that :

I mean, I understand the thought process but none of what is written there is necessarily specific to Uncharted. It could very well be a new IP, or a revival of an old series like Socom or Syphon Filter (I don't think it is these two), or maybe even another crack at The Order.

Yeah, I would rather a unique name as opposed to Sony San Francisco (just an example) or El Dorado Studios. Something totally unique like Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch.

Any thoughts on this?

I think discussion of this guy is banned here. But as a footnote, he's demonstrably wrong about them not looking to expand.

I think Uncharted needs a good break (5+ years), I think it's in that spot Gears, GoW and Halo where when they past 3 or "ended" and a quick-ish follow up won't do close to Uncharted 4 numbers.

I agree. Let it rest for a good few few years and then come back in a big way maybe at the end of next gen or early on in the PS6's life. I would really prefer this new team to not be working on Uncharted. Let them create something of their own.

z285714

Sep 9, 2018
Yeah, second party games perform well. But IMO it can perform even better if the studio is first party. Thinking of the second party games this era,Bloodborne had the loading problem on the release. Detroit had the same problem that happened in Heavy Rain. Spiderman performed well with almost no problems,but I do think it can perform even better if Insomniac is a first party studio.It can have better resources and better support.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I want another big collaboration with From, seems like Era doesn't think it will happen, do it Sony.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The hand-to-hand combat for The Last of Us Part II multiplayer is going to be very interesting if they can achieve a smooth animation with the motion matching tech.
BFSk8k2.gif
Naughty Dog may not be the studio that invent a new gameplay mechanic, but they're the one that take it to another level and make it perfect.

This is without a doubt the smoothest and the most satisfying dodge system I've ever seen. I don't blame that guy from Tomb Raider studio that said this demo was fake. It's just on another level.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Naughty Dog may not be the studio that invent a new gameplay mechanic, but they're the one that take it to another level and make it perfect.

This is without a doubt the smoothest and the most satisfying dodge system I've ever seen. I don't blame that guy from Tomb Raider studio that said this demo was fake. It's just on another level.
Can't wait to see more, if it truly plays that seemless between animations it's going to be something special.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

The animator from EA Motive that did a breakdown for that demo said that whenever ND releases new gameplay people from a bunch of studios go over it with a fine tooth comb trying to figure out how they did it. He said it's especially true with animators.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Can Bluepoint's Demon Souls Remake be considered a ps4 exclusive from 2nd party ?
I don't see why not. Bluepoint is independent studio and Demon's Souls Remake would be a 1st party title. Maybe this is one of those unannounced exclusive games that Sony execs are thinking about delaying to PS5 launch.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I understand now !
Just don't agree with that TLOU multiplayer, is there a Game Director just for the multiplayer ? Because according to LinkedIn, David Hall was hired as Game Director at San Diego

Unless in the other development studio/team, there are 2 game directors, one for the campaign and the other for the multiplayer, I don't see this team on the multiplayer of TLOU

Or David Hall isn't part of this new team
TLOU2 already has two Game Director's (Anthony Newman and Kurt Margenau), though who knows if one of them is specifically working on multiplayer or not. But in the end, it's just a job title, it doesn't make that much of a difference if they call the person running things a Game Director or Lead Designer. For reference, plenty of other studios have Game Director's in charge of post-release support. Simon Larouche used to be Game Director on Rainbow Six Siege's post-release support and once he left, Ubisoft replaced him with Leroy Athanassoff.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

Any thoughts on this?

I do like how Colin elaborates what kind of game it is. Maybe he'll go into more detail with his podcast? Though there's NDA to worry about. That being said, it could be anything. Bloodborne 2, a Ready at Dawn game, another Bluepoint game. He also mentioned it's specifically a PS4 exclusive, not cross-gen or anything.

As for the expansion comments, Colin's probably talking about studio acquisitions. I think Sony wants to expand their core Studios and make them the elite developers with a foundation of top-tier talent. I'm sure Sony is talking but not sure if they'll buy any developer this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.