• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if old...

TRIBECA GAMES PRESENTS: HIDEO KOJIMA WITH NORMAN REEDUS
https://www.tribecafilm.com/press-c...rashida-jones-questlove-jaron-lanier-and-more

World-renowned auteur game creator Hideo Kojima, widely considered the father of the stealth genre, has been hard at work on the highly anticipated PlayStation®4 title Death Stranding. Little is known about this mysterious new project, and speculation from fans and industry alike have created a deafening excitement. To discuss his boundary-pushing new game, Hideo Kojima will be joined by the star of Death Stranding, Norman Reedus, best known for his star-turning performances in The Boondock Saints and the acclaimed series The Walking Dead.Together, they will discuss pushing the boundaries of the video game medium and talk about how their relationship has established over working on the title together. This exclusive conversation will be moderated by game journalist Geoff Keighley, whose work and creation of The Game Awards has furthered the appreciation and understanding of the video game industry.

Death Stranding is a trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC. Created and developed by Kojima Productions. "PlayStation" is a registered trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Okay then, why didn't Naughty Dog have creative or game directors until Uncharted 2? Why doesn't Kojima Production have them now? Why is Ed Beach given the credit for Civ VI even though he's "just" the Lead Designer? And if everyone's structured like Naughty Dog, why did Visceral struggle so much trying to copy it? Each studio is different, you can have two people with the exact same job titles at two different studios and their actual roles can be completely different. For example, Jaffe was the Creative Director on God of War 2 but it was more of a management role, he was directing Calling All Cars at the time.

• Naughty Dog had a Game Director (Amy Hennig) and two Art Directors (Bob Rafei and Bruce Straley) on Uncharted Drake's Fortune.

• Death Stranding also has a Game and an Art Director. GD is Hideo Kojima and AD is Yoji Shinkawa. Given that Kojima also wrote the story, he must have taken the role of Creative Director too.

• Also, why do you keep referring to Naughty Dog when I talk about AAA studio structure. The best examples of a similar structure, where I know a bunch of schoolmates who worked there, are Ubisoft Montreal, Eidos Montreal, Bioware, EA Motive, Warner Bros Montreal and to some extent, Behaviour Interactive.

• As for Visceral Games, I guess they struggled because they already had major issues with managing their projects in general. Just so you know, I am not doubting the abilities of any of the Game/creative directors that were and worked there.

• Also, Director roles are usually half management and half development.

• As for God of War 2, they has Cory Barlog as GD and Stig Asmussen as AD. Having David Jaffe as Creative Director must have helped in managing and oversee the different departments.

Last edited:

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
That's the only place they announce things. There's still TGS, PGW, and PSX. Sony hasn't said they're not doing ANY press conferences in all of 2019 at any venue.
I have a feeling we'll get something major soon (maybe way before E3, which would explain why they said they won't have new content arriving E3, because they maybe planned to show new stuf before it). Besides, Shawn did say we would see other *soon in the new year.

Oct 26, 2017
T5A2gg5.jpg

Demon's Souls Remake pushed to late 2020.

PSX 2020 Shu goes to a stage, talks about one particular IP that is "very dear to his heart" and reveals BB2.

From software perspective this is pretty good way to start the next-gen.

That'd be a perfect strategy actually. From games may not be blockbuster releases, but they're strong system sellers. I know people who would buy a PS5 purely for BB2, myself included.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling we'll get something major soon (maybe way before E3, which would explain why they said they won't have new content arriving E3, because they maybe planned to show new stuf before it). Besides, Shawn did say we would see other *soon in the new year.

After Days Gone and Dreams launches we should start seeing Sony being aggressive again with their remaining lineup so May is a good month to watch out for.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Man just finished Rdr2 and while I think overall Gow was a better experience and more fun and challenging, Arthur might be one of my favorite characters since Cloud from FF7.

What a protagonists, left a huge lasting impression.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
• Naughty Dog had a Game Director (Amy Hennig) and two Art Directors (Bob Rafei and Bruce Straley) on Uncharted Drake's Fortune.

• Death Stranding also has a Game and an Art Director. GD is Hideo Kojima and AD is Yoji Shinkawa. Given that Kojima also wrote the story, he must have taken the role of Creative Director too.

• As for Visceral Games, I guess they struggled because they already had major issues with managing their projects in general. Just so you know, I am not doubting the abilities of any of the Game/creative directors that were and worked there.

• Also, Director roles are usually half management and half development.

• As for God of War 2, they had Cory Barlog as GD and Stig Asmussen as AD. Having David Jaffe as Creative Director must have helped in managing and oversee the different departments.
You're right that Naughty Dog did use the Game Director title before UC2, I'd forgotten about that. No idea why you're mentioning all those Art Directors though. Are you trying to claim they're the equivalent of a Creative Director or something? Because that makes no sense.

Regardless, I don't even know what you're arguing about. I originally said that it didn't matter what they called the person running the project, whether it's Game Director, Lead Designer or whatever, it's just a job title, what matters is their role on the project. Then in my last post I provided examples of people who headed up projects even though they didn't fit in your strict definitions (including one who was a Lead Designer) and you seem to be fine with that. Soooo we're done here.

Oh and the Game Design/Director credit you're seeing in Death Stranding's trailers isn't "Game (Design/Director)" it's "Game Design and Director." Those are two separate credits that always appear in his games, they just combined them together in the trailers.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
You're right that Naughty Dog did use the Game Director title before UC2, I'd forgotten about that. No idea why you're mentioning all those Art Directors though. Are you trying to claim they're the equivalent of a Creative Director or something? Because that makes no sense.

Regardless, I don't even know what you're arguing about. I originally said that it didn't matter what they called the person running the project, whether it's Game Director, Lead Designer or whatever, it's just a job title, what matters is their role on the project. Then in my last post I provided examples of people who headed up projects even though they didn't fit in your strict definitions (including one who was a Lead Designer) and you seem to be fine with that. Soooo we're done here.

Oh and the Game Design/Director credit you're seeing in Death Stranding's trailers isn't "Game (Design/Director)" it's "Game Design and Director." Those are two separate credits that always appear in his games, they just combined them together in the trailers.

First of all, yes they are to some extent equivalent, which makes me wonder if you know what is the role of a creative director (which I first heard about with Assassin's Creed 2 iirc). Also, I would like to explain that I didn't mean (originally) to argue with you and it is true that what really matters is the role or tasks someone has in a project, but the thing is... when you look at the job description for these Game Director positions on LinkedIn at video games studios, they often have more or less the same role or tasks from a studio to another (this becomes more evident especially in AAA game development, but you are right that things can differ depending of the studio's culture or size) and that also applies for Art or Creative Directors. I may not have worked in a AAA studio, but I did learned the intricacies of video game development (structure and pipeline) and even graduated from University in that field. Most of my teachers used to work at big studios like Ubisoft, Eidos or EA before venturing into smaller independent studios prior being teachers.

P.s. This post is not meant to argue with you but to clarify some elements I neglected in my previous posts.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Man just finished Rdr2 and while I think overall Gow was a better experience and more fun and challenging, Arthur might be one of my favorite characters since Cloud from FF7.

What a protagonists, left a huge lasting impression.
I did not liked the game (it was not bad, just not for me), but I agree, Arthur and his story of Redemption was brilliantly written

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
First of all, yes they are to some extent equivalent, which makes me wonder if you know what is the role of a creative director (which I first heard about with Assassin's Creed 2 iirc). Also, I would like to explain that I didn't mean (originally) to argue with you and it is true that what really matters is the role or tasks someone has in a project, but the thing is... when you look at the job description for these Game Director positions on LinkedIn at video games studios, they often have more or less the same role or tasks from a studio to another (this becomes more evident especially in AAA game development, but you are right that things can differ depending of the studio's culture or size) and that also applies for Art or Creative Directors. I may not have worked in a AAA studio, but I did learned the intricacies of video game development (structure and pipeline) and even graduated from University in that field. Most of my teachers used to work at big studios like Ubisoft, Eidos or EA before venturing into smaller independent studios prior being teachers.

P.s. This post is not meant to argue with you but to clarify some elements I neglected in my previous posts.
The fact you need to quality that with "to some extent" says it all, there's some crossover but they're still very different jobs. But whatever dude, I have no interest in engaging in whatever dick measuring contest you're trying to start. Bye.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Two new additions to Guerrilla: David West (technical game designer) and Paulus Bannink (technical cinematic director).

David West worked previously at Crytek as a systems designer on Hunt: Showdown, Paulus Bannink as a senior art manager at Sony VASG.

Oct 25, 2017
I would've much preferred that Midgard was more populated with humans trying to survive during the game more instead of just one encounter with them. Also, I very much prefer the concept designs here compared to the final game. Just by taking one look at this art, I get a serious Game of Thrones vibe. This is the kind of Norse world that I want to see in GOW5.
jose-daniel-cabrera-pena-jc1.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I would've much preferred that Midgard was more populated with humans trying to survive during the game more instead of just one encounter with them. Also, I very much prefer the concept designs here compared to the final game. Just by taking one look at this art, I get a serious Game of Thrones vibes. This is the kind of Norse world that I want to see in GOW5.
jose-daniel-cabrera-pena-jc1.jpg
I think that they wanted to keep the focus on the relationship between Kratos and Atreus

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
I would've much preferred that Midgard was more populated with humans trying to survive during the game more instead of just one encounter with them. Also, I very much prefer the concept designs here compared to the final game. Just by taking one look at this art, I get a serious Game of Thrones vibe. This is the kind of Norse world that I want to see in GOW5.

I was going to post a question on this subject. I'm about 10 hours into the game and do they ever explain where all the humans went?

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I love all these talks. It puts a spotlight on people who get ignored for massive roles. Like too many people seem to give Cory credit for every part of GoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.