• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Because they said they won't have a showcase at E3 or around E3.
It was just the big presser at E3. They know people expect big things and they don't want to have a show like that if they can't deliver.

For that unannounced second party game, it isn't enough to hold a big show on its own but it can serve as the big announcement for a SoP sometime around E3. Of course, it doesn't have to be announced at that point but I was more pondering when they will feel the need to reveal it. It would have to be at a SoP assuming they don't do a big presser this year.

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
It was just the big presser at E3. They know people expect big things and they don't want to have a show like that if they can't deliver.

For that unannounced second party game, it isn't enough to hold a big show on its own but it can serve as the big announcement for a SoP sometime around E3. Of course, it doesn't have to be announced at that point but I was more pondering when they will feel the need to reveal it. It would have to be at a SoP assuming they don't do a big presser this year.
With no around E3, maybe they meant a showcase like the pre E3 event last year were Astro Bot got announced.
But will make a studio show somewhere else.
I'm sure they have meant a showcase in general. And it makes sense. A small State of Play around E3 will get killed by the big E3 announcements. Too much media coverage. But 2 months before or after E3? Sure why not.

Oct 25, 2017

Well either;

A) The game(s)/announcement(s) gets overshadowed by the actual E3, or
B) It highlights that Sony still acknowledge the significance of E3, which raises the question of why they didn't attend, which overshadows the game(s)/announcement(s).

Sony aren't going to E3 and they have to own that, like 'What? E3? That old thing? Does anyone still show up for that?'

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
Well either;

B) It highlights that Sony still acknowledge the significance of E3, which raises the question of why they didn't attend, which overshadows the game(s)/announcement(s).

Sony aren't going to E3 and they have to own that, like 'What? E3? That old thing? Does anyone still show up for that?'
They have told us why. They don't have enough new first party content and they want to hype their own shows like PSX and now State of Play. Almost every Sony studio is working on a PS5 game.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I expect a release date announcement from Concrete Genie at the very least since that's a Sony game slated for Spring, and it's already spring. We've seen next to nothing about this game. It should be there. Right? That's not big, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Well either;

I don't think E3 is entirely irrelevant to them now. It just isn't relevant for them this year. They'll be back in 2020 for PS5.

I'd see a SoP next to E3 as a way to keep PS news out there and for them to do it on their own terms. A single unannounced AAA game wouldn't be enough reason to hold an E3 presser. So, they could do a SoP around June/July for it. This is assuming the game is ready to be announced and that they'll be ready for another SoP within 3-4 months from now.

I expect a release date announcement from Concrete Genie at the very least since that's a Sony game slated for Spring, and it's already spring. We've seen next to nothing about this game. It should be there. Right? That's not big, right?
Right!

It is exactly the type of game I would expect to be there.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
OK I know I'm late to the party on this news that CD Project Red will have a second AAA RPG title out by 2021, but who else is thinking it could be a Sony game after that mysterious business about the PS YouTube channel posting several videos on CDPR? Speculation I know, but Sony is known to seek exclusives from large third party devs and it might help to explain those videos that came out of nowhere.

It being an exclusive for the PS5 might also explain why CDPR isn't willing to share any real info on the game other than its genre and a deadline for release. I mean we've known Cyberpunk existed for many years, why keep this one a secret when it's due out in 2 years?

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
OK I know I'm late to the party on this news that CD Project Red will have a second AAA RPG title out by 2021, but who else is thinking it could be a Sony game after that mysterious business about the PS YouTube channel posting several videos on CDPR? Speculation I know, but Sony is known to seek exclusives from large third party devs and it might help to explain those videos that came out of nowhere.

It being an exclusive for the PS5 might also explain why CDPR isn't willing to share any real info on the game other than its genre and a deadline for release. I mean we've known Cyberpunk existed for many years, why keep this one a secret when it's due out in 2 years?

After the success of Witcher 3 CDPR is probably too big to develop a AAA game that is exclusive to one of the platforms.

Feb 15, 2019
After the success of Witcher 3 CDPR is probably too big to develop a AAA game that is exclusive to one of the platforms.

Wasn't Final Fantasy VS 13 supposed to be a ps3 exclusive? I'd say Square and the FF franchise are big enough to count. Of course like the poster above said it didn't work out in this case either but I definitely wouldn't be surprised.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017

never will happen
unless Sony acquiring CDPR

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't there a time when a Rockstar was to make an exclusive for Playstation? Didn't work out of course but it still happened.
What happened was Tretton revealed that R* is developing an exclusive game to PS3. There are plenty of 3rd party games announced as an exclusive title but they eventually end up releasing on competing consoles/PC after the initial launch. It's difficult to say what was going on with the Agent and the deal between Rockstar and Sony, since the game was never released.

The studio announced CP2077 to attract talent and this happened before The Witcher 3 was released.

There is no need to reveal their 2nd AAA game. What would be the incentive to do so? Especially since everyone is drooling over CP2077.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
State of Play overview:
  • Iron Man VR announced
  • Crash Team Racing trailer, shows classic character design
  • No Man's Sky VR update announced
  • Ready Set Heroes announced, coming this year
  • Blood & Truth trailer, releasing May 28th
  • Compilation of upcoming VR titles
  • Observation trailer, releasing May 21st
  • Five Nights at Freddy's VR Help Wanted trailer, releasing this spring
  • Concrete Genie trailer, releasing this fall, VR mode confirmed
  • Days Gone trailer
  • Mortal Kombat 11 trailer, Jax, Kung Lao and Liu Kang confirmed

Last edited:

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Hm I wasn't initially convinced by the idea of Playstation Directs but that format was alright. Was still a bit short and maybe they could have gone into a bit more detail with some of the games.

When they start having more substantial things to show from the bigger games I think this could work out pretty well. They still need an E3 type event for their big game reveal announcements though.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
They showed like 3 new games? well thanks Zhuge for keeping the expecations in check. this was super small, like Nindies direct level for fucks sake :( They should call this episode VR one, but that wouldnt help right... oh geez.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Concrete Genie looks fantastic to me. On the rest, whether I like it or not (heavy PSVR focus, which I'm not a user of), I keep thinking some communication is better than none.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is going to treat this as a way to show small\medium games not their huge titles (unless maybe they're like a few weeks from release).

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was good for a first show. Nice proof of concept.

Having one of these every 2-3 months would be great!

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
z9wffoG.gif

<3

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Feels really good to have set the right amount of expectations for this. It was fine, mostly what I expected. Was slightly surprised by Iron Man VR and slightly bummed with no Dreams EA release news

Status
Not open for further replies.