• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I literally do not understand the massive negative reaction to SoP, even with Zhuge setting expectations, but I'm going to chalk that up to folks literally hating on VR for no reason other than because they hate VR and fanboys. It was fine. Nothing great, but 15-20 minutes of good pacing/presentation that moved along just fine.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. Short and to the point and showed a bunch of games I want.
Same. No huge news but some cool little announcements and the format was great. I'm so happy it was more of a Direct than an Inside Xbox.

So we ended up with two new WWS announcements:
- Iron Man VR (Camouflaj)
- Ready Set Heroes (Robot Entertainment)

Plus we got some great Concrete Genie, Blood & Truth and Days Gone updates.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
z9wffoG.gif

<3
The story trailers for Concrete Genie, Blood & Truth and Days Gone were amazing... especially Blood & Truth. It gave me a "Mission Impossible" kind of vibe. Can't wait to try it out!!! :D

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man being another SIE WW / Marvel / Camouflage collaboration is very interesting. I can't wait to try out Blood & Truth.

Oct 27, 2017
The format was really great since they went full PlayStation Direct in the end, not Inside Xbox at all, just keep it that way. As for the content, I would have qualify this first episode as good if only we had a semi-big game announcement at the end (Demon's Souls Remastered, come on). Closing the show on a game already known, even a powerful one (well in the US at least) is the biggest letdown here. So as expected, the overall impact was pretty average, or even rather mediocre if you're not into VR I guess.

On the positive side, we got a lot of release dates including the long awaited Blood & Truth. Concrete Genie is delayed pretty hard but that trailer was charming. Also, it seems like Ready Set Heroes is produced with a Sony Worldwide Studio ? Robot Entertainment did a PS4 console exclusive with Orcs Must Die before, so although the game does not interest me that's some kind of activity on the external partnership front (same goes for Camouflaj with that Iron Man VR).

Now that we saw the content, I think it's reasonable to expect a State of Play every quarter.

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I can understand non PSVR users are disappointed after the first SOP episode.

But imo that was great and NMS VR is a big surprise :D
Luckily I never played it.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
So looking at the Ready Set Heroes trailer, it says that the title is a trademark of Robot Entertainment. Like World of Warriors or even Nioh, might be a deal where Sony is only publishing the title on their platform

D2iSV2LX0AEWS6j.png:large

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ready Set Heroes looked like a lot of fun to me. A co-op dungeon crawler with a party game lean is a great idea.

It's also a new indie-scale WWS game so those aren't going away (not that I thought they would).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i never expected this to have a lot of content really. but what that they needed to nail they did, which was pacing and format. both were fantastic.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
So if Sony as expected is going to use this for VR\small titles and we have no E3 this year, when the fuck are we getting our next update on the tlou2\DS\GoT? they said they won't have anything around e3 either so an e3 state of play episode is out of the question as well.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy with the showing today. Sony has a great lineup of VR titles in the next few months. I was sad to see Concrete Genie pushed to the Fall but I'm fine waiting. Not sure why people expected to see the big 3 in that other thread. Some people just can't be pleased. Loved the format too. I'd prefer they just stick with this going forward.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So if Sony as expected is going to use this for VR\small titles and we have no E3 this year, when the fuck are we getting our next update on the tlou2\DS\GoT? they said they won't have anything around e3 either so an e3 state of play episode is out of the question as well.
well the question is how much "around E3" are we talking about.
it could be a late may thing still.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
well the question is how much "around E3" are we talking about.
it could be a late may thing still.
The only way you can make sure people turn up in big numbers enough for tlou2\DS\GoT (especially after today's episode) is by having it as an e3 episode. People wouldn't consider a late may as E3, and I doubt Sony would call it an E3 episode after quitting it.
Probably sometime after DG launch.
There's no conference tho, and state of play is their only way of communication now apparently (and dropping the trailers at the PS Blog I guess).

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
All this big push for VR showed today makes me wonder if Ape Escape will come back as a VR title ala Astro Bot.
Was there also a date for Everybody's Golf VR ?
May 21st I think.
I think we have to thank vr support for that. I really dont think this game needs VR
Honestly, I was expecting a delay. Given that we didn't received any new info in months and that the last time people played it, there were major performance problems they needed to fix.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I went in the with lowest expectations possible and that payed off. Didn't follow the buildup of this thing, they didn't hype it up or anything right?

Oct 27, 2017
Also, Everbody's Golf VR was the only japanese content in the whole 20 minutes show and it was only in the montage, that's really something to fix for the next episode. Especially when the show was also streamed for the japanese audience (minus the MK11 trailer at the end apparently).

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I think another episode in June is pretty much 100% happening. Most of the stuff they showed today was for content mostly set for April/May. Or maybe one in May to hype up Blood and Golf VR. Screw it, they should just do this monthly. I kept my expectations and I liked it. I was surprised they didn't drop the PS+ games for April.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm wondering how big of a threat MK 11 is for Days Gone. It looks really fantastic, and the series has been showing very strong support. Days Gone is the title to carry them for the quarter until something bigger (assuming it exists) releases. It could do that for 60$, or with a quick, deep cut. We'll see their play as months go on.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I don't understand Sony

That State of Play was THE moment to present PS+ games (and potentially great games) but also PS Now games coming in April...

Sometimes, you tell yourself that you would do a better job than these guys to promote the brand

Oct 25, 2017
As someone whose always been a fan of Nintendo directs, and looks forward to them, especially the indie ones, I'm glad Sony just copied the format and had good pacing.

Take what works, no need to do funky couch stuff.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
There's no conference tho, and state of play is their only way of communication now apparently (and dropping the trailers at the PS Blog I guess).

Says who? Who's to say that these SoP vids won't lead up to a large PSX like conference near the end of the year? It's still pretty early in the year, and this was only the first SoP...

Do people want Sony to make the same mistakes as before? Blow their announcement load early and then have nothing to say again? I think they're gonna spread things out and only announce games when they are closer to launching them.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got our own playstation direct, no more 30 minute stage switching, no more boring PR speeches, no more tech problems, no more live music performances. This is great news.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

That State of Play was THE moment to present PS+ games (and potentially great games) but also PS Now games coming in April...

Sometimes, you tell yourself that you would do a better job than these guys to promote the brand
That would only work if they do a SoP every month....

Feb 26, 2018

Probably because it wasnt supposed to be a direct nor inside xbox. Just a way to gather some trailers together probably.
Sony didnt hype it but they did fuck up the messaging around this. Just say its a highlight reel of trailers and nobody would be mad

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
That would only work if they do a SoP every month....

Nope, you have an "event" planned here, just drop PS+ and PS Now games during that event, even if it's just unusual
Especially if they have secured big games for April

The reactions to that SoT are simply catastrophic, this livestream was not only for hardcore gamers but also for mainstream and it was disappointing when you read all the reactions.

Probably because it wasnt supposed to be a direct nor inside xbox. Just a way to gather some trailers together probably.
Sony didnt hype it but they did fuck up the messaging around this. Just say its a highlight reel of trailers and nobody would be mad
It's their own show, just ask a guy to add a slide with the ingame footage of the 2 games they have for April PS+ and that's it
It brings more content to the show and it fits perfectly the topic of this SoT, it shows what you can expect on PS4 in the upcoming months (for this example, April games on PS+ for subscribers)

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based off today's show, they're willing to show AAA games in these. Even third party ones like Mortal Kombat. These aren't indie and VR only shows. I see no reason why Death Stranding, Tsushima or TLOU2 wouldn't show up in future episodes.

Oct 25, 2017

Tbh, if you're on Era, you should've seen Zhuges immediate post on not expecting much.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, they did refer to it as a "video showcase".

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Says who? Who's to say that these SoP vids won't lead up to a large PSX like conference near the end of the year? It's still pretty early in the year, and this was only the first SoP...

Do people want Sony to make the same mistakes as before? Blow their announcement load early and then have nothing to say again? I think they're gonna spread things out and only announce games when they are closer to launching them.
near the end of the year would mean 18 months without a single update on the 3 games (except that short trailer for DS).

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Excellent pacing but the content was really weak. Also, not a fan of "spoiling" the upcoming game, the element of surprise on what game is going to appear next is a big draw for me when it comes to these showcases.

Status
Not open for further replies.