• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.
So what I make out of that is that for Sony "AAA"-games need at least 70+ on meta to have a chance for a sequel (or probably extremely good sales otherwise)?

Similiarily like their ad a few years ago for PS+ where they mainly wanted to give games with 70+ on meta.
I imagine sales are always the main factor in getting a sequel greenlit. Unless the IP is damaged goods like the Order seems to be. Popular sentiment toward that game is pretty poor.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Interesting.
So what I make out of that is that for Sony "AAA"-games need at least 70+ on meta to have a chance for a sequel (or probably extremely good sales otherwise)?

Similiarily like their ad a few years ago for PS+ where they mainly wanted to give games with 70+ on meta.
It's a combination. The Order sold relatively well for a new IP, and made profit. Sony basically just deemed reception around the brand to be too damaged or unrecoverable.

When you have something like Days Gone that, so far, appears to still have a good amount of positive sentiment (that will likely grow as more mainstream players get their hands on it), it's a little easier to pursue the brand further. If it sells millions and millions of copies too? I'd expect a sequel.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
They used to, and still do, just to a lesser degree.

Days Gone is an overambituous game. It's the fault that holds it back. It tries to do too much.

I hope for the best for Bend studio, but the AAA push is too much.

They have been extremely successful in their AAA focus and Days Gone review scores are not going to change that. They are chasing games that sell millions and millions of copies, as well as push hardware. A great AA game hardly ever does that so they are right to take the risk given their standing in the industry.

They should just be saying "It has to go better with our next game" since it clearly wasn't a disaster.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone will do fine though. If games like Dead Island and Dying Light can do well, this surely will.
I'm not worried about Days Gone or Bend either. It's been tracking well, average rather than poor reviews, relatively small team size for a AAA game, etc. It's probably effortlessly going to break even.

What I'm most interested in is post-launch word of mouth which doesn't always align with critics.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine sales are always the main factor in getting a sequel greenlit. Unless the IP is damaged goods like the Order seems to be. Popular sentiment toward that game is pretty poor.

Yep, sales are of course more important.

But TO1886 didn't set the charts on fire and IIRC according to Shinobi it only barely was profitable. And now it seems it could've gotten a sequel anyways, if it would've scored 70+ like Days Gone.

It's a combination. The Order sold relatively well for a new IP, and made profit. Sony basically just deemed reception around the brand to be too damaged or unrecoverable.

When you have something like Days Gone that, so far, appears to still have a good amount of positive sentiment (that will likely grow as more mainstream players get their hands on it), it's a little easier to pursue the brand further. If it sells millions and millions of copies too? I'd expect a sequel.

Thanks for the additional info. :)

Nov 18, 2018
I'm sure Days Gone will sell more than enough for Bend Studio to be safe, but it'll be interesting to see if they go for a sequel or new IP. While I can see potential for growth with a Days Gone sequel, I can't really see much hype for it unless it changed something significantly like having new characters or a new setting or multiplayer. Just more Days Gone might be a tough sell, even if the first one does pretty well commercially.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Sony made a mistake with Days Gone, called it years ago. Shu puts wayyy more stock in Western IP's, and flat out ignores Japanese ones (Gravity Rush 2) unless they are by Fromsoftware. It's pathetic. Could've secured 3rd party studio titles on PS4, Nier: Automata, Yakuza, Nioh and more. Shu would've probably rejected Ghost of Tsushima if it was from a Japanese studio.

If Day's Gone sales don't match, Sony should strongly consider shutting down Bend. Never has been a highly talented studio.

Just one question, what the hell is wring with you?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

The only concern here is that The Last of Us exists and that may be something to consider when pursuing Days Gone as a franchise. Sony may see it as "Too similar direction and not nearly as loved" which may sway them from investing in the IP.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Well, since I gotta go home from work, I'll drop by again in the review thread tomorrow and see how the overall score of MC & OC when the dusts settles I hope.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Days Gone is a way different game than The Last of Us though.

Not denying that, but the bottom line is "post apocalyptic world with zombie-like enemies". Sony may feel The Last of Us is all thats needed.

The Last Of Us part 2 might be the last game, Naughty Dog is going to do a new ip for the next game.

But nothing stopped them from doing Uncharted 4 after they launched The Last Us. I can easily see The Last of Us: Part III happening after they launch their next IP

Jan 20, 2019
Not denying that, but the bottom line is "post apocalyptic world with zombie-like enemies". Sony may feel The Last of Us is all thats needed.

But nothing stopped them from doing Uncharted 4 after they launched The Last Us. I can easily see The Last of Us: Part III happening after they launch their next IP

Yes they can, but if the game is suceful there is no reason to not do a sequel just because there is a game with zombies as well.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Day's Gone sales don't match, Sony should strongly consider shutting down Bend. Never has been a highly talented studio.
WTF are you even talking about? It's a 7/10 game and will sell millions. And Bend made some fantastic Syphon Filter games and maybe THE best Resistance game. "Shutting down Bend Studio".... Jesus Christ, get real.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Sony made a mistake with Days Gone, called it years ago. Shu puts wayyy more stock in Western IP's, and flat out ignores Japanese ones (Gravity Rush 2) unless they are by Fromsoftware. It's pathetic. Could've secured 3rd party studio titles on PS4, Nier: Automata, Yakuza, Nioh and more. Shu would've probably rejected Ghost of Tsushima if it was from a Japanese studio.

You know, you can think Sony doesn't give Japanese games enough attention and also not hope for Bend to be shut down. One does not prevent the other.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I said this in the Days Gone OT prior to the reviews going live, because my sentiment is true regardless of the fact that the game was good or not.

For what it's worth, I have nothing but props to give to a 50-person studio who wants to:
- challenge new IP
- build a competitive AAA-level game
- make a huge open world game
- not a small one either, big in scale with the length of story/etc to match
- invest and build a lot of mechanics/systems/ideas that might not be fresh, but are not small efforts to develop ( horde/etc)

At the end of the day, we saw a studio that was only 50-ish people, now expand into a relatively robust 130+ person team that can make dense and big open world games.

I'm not going to ask people to praise the game or anything. A mediocre/bad game is mediocre/bad, period. But from an industry perspective, we should always be hopeful that more and more small(ish) studios can expand and 'become' AAA-caliber teams if that is their ambition to do so.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Yes they can, but if the game is suceful there is no reason to not do a sequel just because there is a game with zombies as well.

Right, but Sony is the big time company here and may have a stricter perception of the situation. I think Days Gone looks awesome in every way and will be playing it tomorrow, but I was just throwing it out there that it may be a bit harder to get a sequel unless sales are stellar

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018

My heart bleeds for Gravity Rush 2 as well but not every misstep SIEWWS makes needs to be reverse engineered into a narrative about that game being done dirty.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Excited for Days Gone! Read a few reviews, and while I wish some were better, there sounds like a solid groundwork and room for improvement in a sequel.
I wish this scored better, but will find out for myself.
I'm sure it will meet Sony's sales expectation wise. Bend will be fine.
Can't wait!

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
If Days Gone sells well, Bend will survive and we may get a sequel, medicore reviews or not. Hell, Knack got a sequel because it was profitable despite its medicore reviews. However, I would also not be surprised if Sony tells Bend to move on to something else despite DG profitability as Sony may prioritize TLoU as their go-to post apocalyptic zombie game for their 1st party catalog.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know where else to put this but I just put a 1tb SSD in my Pro and tried RE2 to see the loading difference and can some one refresh my memory but how long did it take to get from the continue in the main menu into playing the game? Because that shit just loaded in like 3 seconds for me.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I'm sure Days Gone will sell more than enough for Bend Studio to be safe, but it'll be interesting to see if they go for a sequel or new IP. While I can see potential for growth with a Days Gone sequel, I can't really see much hype for it unless it changed something significantly like having new characters or a new setting or multiplayer. Just more Days Gone might be a tough sell, even if the first one does pretty well commercially.
Given that Bend is smaller studio, I hope so. Although, enough is not what they need. Days Gone needs to sell gangbusters to justify their recent expansion (Sony even relocated them to a bigger studio they built just for them in Bend, Oregon).

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I'm guessing Bend will use the tech they developed for a new IP with a completely new setting. Here's hoping they will focus on expanding what worked (simulation, layered systems, etc) and deemphasis what didn't (story, Ubisoft-style checkboxes).

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Weren't they hiring artists for a new IP last year? (Sony Bend)
Wasn't it confirmed that the new IP was Days Gone?
Days gone took 7 years? It's this true? Doesn't sound right.
Nope.

source: https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...o-the-team-creating-days-gone/?ref-cat=249748
date: 04/22/2019
"I think it would take a Bend Studio to make a game like Days Gone, because we were crazy. We were crazy when we started building this game to think that 50 people could make a game this expansive. And we just went for it anyway. My first notes on the game are from 2013, and at the time it probably was crazy, but here we are, six years later, and this thing's about to hit the streets."

– John Garvin
Directly from Playstation Blog.
Also no one was really asking for Days Gone. They should go back to syphon filter.
They didn't want to. They were tired of it.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
In the past Sony have given chances to their studios so I wouldn't be worried about Bends future. However, I have hard time imagining that Bend would be working a next-gen Days Gone sequel, since we know Shawn Layden's initiative "first, best, must".
Ya I just think as currently constructed Sony needs to add more people and talent to the studio, they can't expect the same 50 ppl to turn around and produce something both critically and commercially acclaimed.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
All this next gen talk gets me excited. I remember Shawn Layden saying during his speech at DICE "New IP isn't always easy but it's always necessary". As much as I'm excited for the sequels of the juggernauts released this gen. Sony brought a crazy amount of impressive new IP's this gen.

- Bloodborne
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Last Guardian
- Detroit
- DRIVECLUB
- Dreams
- The Order 1886
- Days Gone

The list goes on and on and those are their bigger titles. They have yet to release Ghost and Death Stranding. I hope they keep em coming for next gen.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I said this in the Days Gone OT prior to the reviews going live, because my sentiment is true regardless of the fact that the game was good or not.

For what it's worth, I have nothing but props to give to a 50-person studio who wants to:
- challenge new IP
- build a competitive AAA-level game
- make a huge open world game
- not a small one either, big in scale with the length of story/etc to match
- invest and build a lot of mechanics/systems/ideas that might not be fresh, but are not small efforts to develop ( horde/etc)

At the end of the day, we saw a studio that was only 50-ish people, now expand into a relatively robust 130+ person team that can make dense and big open world games.

I'm not going to ask people to praise the game or anything. A mediocre/bad game is mediocre/bad, period. But from an industry perspective, we should always be hopeful that more and more small(ish) studios can expand and 'become' AAA-caliber teams if that is their ambition to do so.
This. ^^^
All this next gen talk gets me excited. I remember Shawn Layden saying during his speech at DICE "New IP isn't always easy but it's always necessary". As much as I'm excited for the sequels of the juggernauts released this gen. Sony brought a crazy amount of impressive new IP's this gen.

- Bloodborne
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Last Guardian
- Detroit
- DRIVECLUB
- Dreams
- The Order 1886

The list goes on and on and those are their bigger titles. They have yet to release Ghost and Death Stranding. I hope they keep em coming for next gen.
You forgot Days Gone. ;)

Last edited:

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I just hope that revised or updated reviews will be a thing in the future. Especially when I see games like No Man's Sky (and Sea of Thieves to some extend) improve year after year.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Looking back on the Nightengale quote, I'd say it's impressive Days Gone exceeded the 70 percentile at all. It doesn't mean we shouldn't criticize the game, criticism is incredibly important, but it's also good to know how huge of an undertaking this game is.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017

- Bloodborne
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Last Guardian
- Detroit
- DRIVECLUB

- Dreams
- The Order 1886
- Days Gone (???)

But it's kinda sad only Horizon, Dreams and maybe Days Gone will continue on PS5 through sequels or ports/game extension (Dreams). The rest are dormant IPs on Sony's platforms..

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I just hope that revised or updated reviews will be a thing in the future. Especially when I see games like No Man's Sky (and Sea of Thieves to some extend) improve year after year.

It will be for big games (like Fortnite), but most won't get updated reviews because an updated review simply won't get that many clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.