• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
SP is Sony's bnb but it's also letting WWS do what they want.

Don't lose sight of that fam. It's organic ideas that lead to great games. If Japan studio is excited about a new SP JRPG Sony will green light it. If ND or GG wants to tackle this new MP mode they came up with, Sony will green light it. I agree though as far as new studios it should be MP focused ones. Sony has yet to have a bonafide hit in this area and from Shu's Comments, they are gonna try to. After playing Dragon Quest, I think the formula needs to be shaken up as well. A different blend of ideas maybe. Gonna finally play FF15 and see what's the fuss.

Freedom Wars? Isn't they very similar to MH? We got world now and it's fantastic.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I think what we all want is a diverse lineup and Sony, like pretty much everyone else, can do better on that front. And I think we'll see efforts in that sense going forward.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Since people wanna bring back old Sony IPs.

I'm waiting on the return of The Getaway.

Edit: we all? Yeah sure ok..

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think what we all want is a diverse lineup and Sony, like pretty much everyone else, can do better on that front. And I think we'll see efforts in that sense going forward.
Indeed but it's business at the end of the day too, and being super diverse is not always lucrative as the market gravitates towards certain genres. SP lovers should actually be rooting for a MP hit as it can fund other games. Gravity Rush and Puppeteer are possible because of Gran Turismo for example. We all should be hoping Sony has a COD like hit, SP production is just going to increase!

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
SP is Sony's bnb but it's also letting WWS do what they want.

Don't lose sight of that fam. It's organic ideas that lead to great games. If Japan studio is excited about a new SP JRPG Sony will green light it. If ND or GG wants to tackle this new MP mode they came up with, Sony will green light it. I agree though as far as new studios it should be MP focused ones. Sony has yet to have a bonafide hit in this area and from Shu's Comments, they are gonna try to. After playing Dragon Quest, I think the formula needs to be shaken up as well. A different blend of ideas maybe. Gonna finally play FF15 and see what's the fuss.

Freedom Wars? Isn't they very similar to MH? We got world now and it's fantastic.
If a team within Japan Studios ever got a JRPG green lit, it'd have to have some gimmick to set it apart. It doesn't seem in the makeup of the studio to serve a market for the sake of it.
Yeah there's going to be an increasing importance first party content over the next decade which makes it exciting imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Time to bring it back
dhdyt5-75c6d277-2ad4-40d5-a56f-b04ecff52efc.jpg

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
600&forty-nine Im not sure we even know the makeup of Japan studio yet. Ever since that guy came and cleaned up shop years ago they've been producing games at a much more steady clip, but we've yet to see what they are really passionate about outside of Astrobot IMO. The studio may want to tackle something big, it's been a long time.

Blackleg-sanji1 Ape Escape makes a lot of sense, truly don't know why this game isn't on PS4 yet. It's a perfect vehicle to try new gameplay ideas out and be Sony's Mario.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed but it's business at the end of the day too, and being super diverse is not always lucrative as the market gravitates towards certain genres. SP lovers should actually be rooting for a MP hit as it can fund other games. Gravity Rush and Puppeteer are possible because of Gran Turismo for example. We all should be hoping Sony has a COD like hit, SP production is just going to increase!

If Sony developed a CoD like game...🤤

Not that's something I could get behind.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
600&forty-nine Im not sure we even know the makeup of Japan studio yet. Ever since that guy came and cleaned up shop years ago they've been producing games at a much more steady clip, but we've yet to see what they are really passionate about outside of Astrobot IMO. The studio may want to tackle something big, it's been a long time.
I suppose you're right. Every other Sony studio but them has a pretty predictable trajectory ahead. I'd a love a bigger project from them, even more if it is a JRPG.

I'd bet on the Knack team making an Ape Escape for PS5 launch.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Wolfenstein right now and I can't stop thinking about what a Sony first person shooter would look and play nowadays.

Please, Sony. Please. It can be multiplayer, I'm ok with it.

Considering how mediocre Resistance and Killzone were both in sales and reception I don't think we're missing out on much.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Not everything needs to be in third person. Sony definitely needs to invest in games with other styles (fps, rpg and etc).

RPGs are third persons

Sony needs to get its hand in Fighting games and Racers. Nobody makes games like Burnout/Motorstorm anymore. Nobody makes Versus fighting games anymore.

They also need to make a franchise in the vein of Resistance. Resistance 3 was one of the best single player FPS games last gen, and it's a shame they stopped the series after Insomniac finally nailed the formula.
Alien shooters genre is barren. Only Doom and Halo remaining.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Sony pouring big bucks into reviving something like Socom, Resistance or Killzone. Not a knock on any of those but even at their peaks they weren't exactly blockbusters. If they're going to do a high-end multiplayer shooter, I assume the plan will be to try and create a new top tier IP.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Sony pouring big bucks into reviving something like Socom, Resistance or Killzone. Not a knock on any of those but even at their peaks they weren't exactly blockbusters. If they're going to do a high-end multiplayer shooter, I assume the plan will be to try and create a new top tier IP.

In the vein of Resistance 3, not necessarily reviving.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I feel like as long is they have marketing rights to cod, there's zero need to invest in their own multiplayer shooter. But If Activision goes back to Microsoft or moves over to PC, then develop your own.

I would copy cod's style tbh, but actually take feedback from the community and also make it f2p with updates.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Genre has nothing to do with perspective does it? Unless you mean something else by "third person". I don't particularly want more first-person games from Sony, but I would lap up an RPG or two in the style of Final Fantasy.

Well, that was not exactly what I meant hahaha.

But yes, Sony needs to find some way to expand its portfolio without necessarily forcing its current studios to do something specific. FPS, RPG, fighting and racing are weak areas at the moment. Best way would be to buy/create studios, thus already ensuring that it will be something lasting, but paying for a 3rd parties developed is also interesting.

But I believe that some existing studio will try to completely change its style in the coming years to try to fill some of those holes in Sony's portfolio. In the same way that Guerrilla only created Killzone because it realized that Sony had no franchise in the first person genre.

And as I said before, a dark Sci-Fi FPS in the best Half Life/Cyberpunk way being developed by Naughty Dog would be amazing to see. Just look those concept arts made by John Sweeney (Art Director at ND)

john-sweeney-robot-1-small.jpg

john-sweeney-robot-4-c.jpg

john-sweeney-bonus-image-2-final-small.jpg

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike FP games so they will get no money from me if they only FP .
Also as a person who love animation ND doing a FP game would be a crime .
They are leaders of the pack for a reason .

z285714

Sep 9, 2018
2077 may be the first 3A rpg which ONLY has first person vision.The whole industry is still waiting for its performance.Trying a first person 3A is too risky in this era...

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Blackleg-sanji1 Ape Escape makes a lot of sense, truly don't know why this game isn't on PS4 yet. It's a perfect vehicle to try new gameplay ideas out and be Sony's Mario.

I might have said it before on one of these threads but I honestly think mainline Ape Escape games vanished around the time the world standardized--and became comfortable on--using the second stick for camera control. And it wasn't a coincidence.

Playing the PS2onPS4 release of Ape Escape 2, I realized how awkward it would be for modern players to have to switch to shoulder buttons for camera control with a follow-cam.

(This is also why I think Astrobot might have cracked the code for how to handle the camera in a new Ape Escape game.)

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Sony and Microsoft to explore strategic partnership
Sony Corporation (Sony) and Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) announced on Thursday that the two companies will partner on new innovations to enhance customer experiences in their direct-to-consumer entertainment platforms and AI solutions.

Under the memorandum of understanding signed by the parties, the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services. In addition, the two companies will explore the use of current Microsoft Azure datacenter-based solutions for Sony's game and content-streaming services. By working together, the companies aim to deliver more enhanced entertainment experiences for their worldwide customers. These efforts will also include building better development platforms for the content creator community.

https://news.microsoft.com/2019/05/16/sony-and-microsoft-to-explore-strategic-partnership/

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Is it as pointless as I think it is to buy a Razer Raiju (or any Elite controller) this late in the gen? It's highly likely that I'll buy a PS5 on release and I leave my PS4 as a media system for my family.

Do you think it'll be forward compatible?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I don't know why people are surprised lol

MS is the biggest cloud service provider, followed by Amazon.
Of course Sony will have to go to MS for a good cloud solution. Sony doesn't have the resources to build a cloud infrastructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.