• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
New PlayStation Now games

NA
  • Chess Ultra (PS4)
  • God Eater 2: Rage Burst (PS4)
  • Lock's Quest (PS4)
  • Metro 2033 Redux (PS4)
  • Onechanbara Z2: Chaos (PS4)
  • Prey (PS4)
  • Project Cars 2 (PS4)
  • Skydrift (PS3)
  • Thunder Wolves (PS3)

Europe
  • Metro 2033 Redux
  • Prey
  • Dirt 4
  • Styx: Shards Of Darkness
  • Victor Vran Overkill Edition
  • Chess Ultra
  • Locoroco Remastered
  • Lock's Quest
  • Ironcast
  • The Town Of Light

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you forgot something important the last of us was cross gen game
game released in 2 console and sell over 17 m not surprise it will sell that much
after 1 year of the released the game the last of us sell 8 m total in ps3 and ps4
don't forgot the user base of the ps3 was very large almost 70 m i think
and with couple millions in ps4 it take them one year to reach 8 m unit sell for the game
and take them almost 4 years to sell over 17 m in two consoles
that is very long time
lets see the sell number of spider its over 9 m in just 2 months half number of the last of us sell in short period of time
spider gain the casuals and gamers because the popularity of the name and the high quality of the game and the rating age help the game to sell a lot
the last of us it will sell a lot but it will not surpass spider number this gen
How does 2 consoles make a difference though? The Last of Us came out a few months before the launch of the PS4. Of course they would make a PS4 version when the PS3 version sold 7m+ and was going to have its legs cut off. The PS4 version basically gave the game some legs by moving it to a new generation. And it's shown very good legs to be selling consistently even after years because the reality as far as we know, is that most Sony games do not have such long legs with the exception of Gran Turismo, and that's only in certain territories.

The Last of Us came at a time where PS exclusives weren't selling as well as they are now and it was released initially on the PS3 which was a media punching bag despite it selling similarly to the 360. The PS4s success and the first party surge has helped all of Sony's exclusives sell better, including Spidey by the way. If Uncharted 4 managed to comfortably pass 10 million, The Last of Us 2 is going to rocket past that. At that point, there's no "it won't sell better than Spidey" because all bets are off essentially. Then it's a matter of legs and The Last of Us isn't as lopsided to North America as Spidey appears to be (50% of its sales).

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Far better quality than December's additions. Sony need to keep it going month after month.

And I still want them to split downloadable and streaming content apart. Streaming should be offered as an add-on.
Couldn't agree with you more, it would also enable them to bring the download-only service to other regions where the Gaikai servers for the streaming part of the service aren't ready yet.
Also, Sony needs to up their game with PSNow when it comes to their own games. Put at least some of the older exclusives on the service, and switch out the PS3 versions of games with their PS4 counterparts where possible. Games like The Last of Us and Uncharted 1-3 are still the PS3 version, just switch those out for the PS4 versions already.

Elohim99

Banned
Jan 2, 2019
Far better quality than December's additions. Sony need to keep it going month after month.

And I still want them to split downloadable and streaming content apart. Streaming should be offered as an add-on.
You're right. I'm confident that this will happen with PS5.

God I want PS Now to come to Italy. You can access its page on the PS store,but it doesn't let you do anything.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SIE is buying the Audio tech company Audio Kinetic, known mostly for the Wwise audio engine, that is used in tons of games.

Based in Montreal, Audiokinetic was founded in 2000 by Martin H. Klein, president and CEO, and a team of veterans from the music, film, and gaming industries. The company's award-winning flagship product, Wwise, is a comprehensive audio middleware solution, featuring an optimized run-time sound engine and an audio authoring application for creating and managing interactive audio content. With more than 500 titles shipped every year on console, mobile, desktop, and AR/VR platforms, as well as Location-Based Entertainment projects, Wwise is the interactive audio solution of choice for thousands of developers, from indies to AAA studios.

Joining the SIE family is a win for both Audiokinetic and our partners who use our audio tools and middleware," Klein said. "We will remain independent and continue to deliver our suite of audio solutions to developers and platform holders, with even greater resources to continue innovating, expanding our market and enhancing our technology. We are also excited about the opportunity to contribute to SIE at a platform level.

https://www.audiokinetic.com/about/news/sony-interactive-entertainment-to-acquire-audiokinetic/

Nov 8, 2017
With Playstation Now, is there any information out there about what compensation is provided to studios or publishers who put their games on the service? Is it a percentage of the total pool that drops over time or do you think there's a flat amount that Sony pays to have a game on the service?

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
With Playstation Now, is there any information out there about what compensation is provided to studios or publishers who put their games on the service? Is it a percentage of the total pool that drops over time or do you think there's a flat amount that Sony pays to have a game on the service?

I don't think we have any specific information on that. I would, however, assume a mixed model. Probably there is a flat componente where publishers get a certain amount of money depending on how big and popular the game is, and additionally a variable component depending on the number of downloads/streams.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They will definitely surpass the ps2 sales with the help of DS, GoT, Days Gone and TLOU2
the only was PS2 is surpassed is either:
1) sony decides to brand the PS5 as a PS4 pro pro which makes every PS5 sales actually count to PS4 number (LOL)
2) PS5 flops and sony doing huge discounts on PS4 instead (could always happen, I personally think that sony is in the best position they ever were and that it would be really dumb if they will fail now however)

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Lots and lots of hiring at ND

How big are they now? Plenty of these positions are just temporary right?

And whats going to happen with these people afterwards? They will get *fired* and ND will start hiring all over again when they will need the numbers for finishing up their next game?

Are these rotations so common in gaming studios? Is it any different in multiplatform studios?

I imagine folks like Ubisoft arent working with this model,.considering they employ like thousands of devs right? All of them are just on infinite cycle of heavy full production/pre production and polishing, right?

Then there are big studios lile ND, that cant employ 500.hundred people all the time and just hire them for last year of development or so?

Oct 30, 2017

And whats going to happen with these people afterwards? They will get *fired* and ND will start hiring all over again when they will need the numbers for finishing up their next game?

Are these rotations so common in gaming studios? Is it any different in multiplatform studios?

I imagine folks like Ubisoft arent working with this model,.considering they employ like thousands of devs right? All of them are just on infinite cycle of heavy full production/pre production and polishing, right?

Then there are big studios lile ND, that cant employ 500.hundred people all the time and just hire them for last year of development or so?

Contracting isn't exclusive in the gaming world. Contractors know the risk and assume a job isn't long term. Contractors also get paid much more. People who work as contractors are people who like flexibility and taking on new jobs. It comes at a risk but they also get paid way more than permanent workers.

For example at a few jobs I worked at in the past in a bank.

A contractor job pays a day rate.
For example for a QA role at a bank
£200 a day for a contractor which works out as £48k
For a permanent staff they usually get paid £24k

So basically a contractor makes almost double amount of money but permanent staff have benefits of permanent job, sick pay and holiday pay.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

No, they're not gonna get fired. They're most likely gonna have temporary contract for specific targets. and i think ND is something around 500-700 eployees.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It's gotta be prepping for the new secret game.

Debut trailer at next PlayStation Meeting or whatever event/show SIE would held this year.

Maybe.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. I absolutely LOVE the Studio banners in the OP.

But, isn't the photo behind Gran Turismo is from GRID ? I am fairly certain it is. Kinda disingenuous but loved that banner nevertheless.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
as a general rule of thumb, you probably shouldnt give much of a shit console warriors say on twitter. unfollow them and ignore. dobby, foxy , tidux, all extremely lame

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does any of you know this guy? He's saying a lot of crazy stuff on Twitter. I want to believe him, but he seems as legit as Tidux. https://twitter.com/foxygames_uk/status/1082745144829534209?s=19
Nope but his other tweet mentions this about future PS4 games

I can see an Aug release date for DS and Oct for TLOU2

as a general rule of thumb, you probably shouldnt give much of a shit console warriors say on twitter. unfollow them and ignore. dobby, foxy , tidux, all extremely lame
This foxygames_UK dude is hilarious. He does that all the time to hype his Youtube channel. Acting like he gets "leaks" about games, insider informations about the PS5 etc. He knows nothing at all and has zero insider sources. It's just made up nonsense and guesswork. Just like all that nonsense Tidux is spreading. So ignore them and don't give them any attention. It's what they want.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like we're back in 2014 when like 9 of the first party studios were unaccounted for. People are thirsty for information.

It's honestly pretty exciting!

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
This foxygames_UK dude is hilarious. He does that all the time to hype his Youtube channel. Acting like he gets "leaks" about games, insider informations about the PS5 etc. He knows nothing at all and has zero insider sources. It's just made up nonsense and guesswork. Just like all that nonsense Tidux is spreading. So ignore them and don't give them any attention. It's what they want.

Ok thanks

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Foxy a reliable source ?
=

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
My hot take, that is just luke warm:

- No The Last of Us Part II this year.
- No Ghost of Tsushima this year.
- No Death Stranding this year.
- Dreams will be out in September
- No PlayStation event whatsoever this year.
- No unannounced big first party game coming to PS4, even stated otherwise by people, things change.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who wants to fully switch back to Playstation has main console, does anyone not have faith in backward compatibility for PS5? I know I don't replay a lot of my games, but I do like knowing that my digital content gets pushed over to the new consoles.

Oct 25, 2017

- No unannounced big first party game coming to PS4, even stated otherwise by people, things change.
Trynna find the hot take here.. closet thing is probably dreams out in September and I only say that because if that game really take that long I'll lose my goddamn hair from stress

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Predictions:

TLOU2: June 2019
Death Stranding: September 2019
Horizon 2: Early October 2019
God of War 2: Late October 2019
Ghost of Tsushima: Early November 2019
Dreams: Mid February 2026

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

I don't like you.
Predictions:

TLOU2: June 2019
Death Stranding: September 2019
Horizon 2: Early October 2019
God of War 2: Late October 2019
Ghost of Tsushima: Early November 2019
Dreams: Mid February 2026
I like you.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
As someone who wants to fully switch back to Playstation has main console, does anyone not have faith in backward compatibility for PS5? I know I don't replay a lot of my games, but I do like knowing that my digital content gets pushed over to the new consoles.

One of the most important value drivers in e-business is the lock-in effect of ecosystems. BC means you lose your whole digital library when you switch to a competitor. The switching costs increase as a result.

It's also guaranteed that the Xbox will have BC. If Sony doesn't have one, there will be a huge backlash. Sony won't want that at the start of the gen.

The PS5 is guaranteed to have BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.