• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody edit demonsouls remake on doffy
HauntingCreamyJoey-size_restricted.gif

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
ayo since when the fuck have fromsoft been passionate about multiplayer? they had 5 games using the same dumb shitty online mechanics and they couldn't even get it to work right. thank god they removed it from sekiro, shit was awful

couldn't even fix it with dark souls 3 goddamn 😂😂😩

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I know I'm late, but the slide mentioning PS4 being the main driver of profitability for the next 3 years has me excited now about what PS5 actually is. It might be a savage beast.

Oct 27, 2017
I was a huge fan of Resistance, but honestly Resistance 3 ruined it for me.

Campaign-wise I didn't like the story at all - how they made it about one guy's fight rather than humanity's fight.

And the multiplayer was an abomination, and took away many of the unique things from R:FOM and R2. It went way too far in the "CoD copycat" direction with killstreaks and hitmarkers and smaller teams etc. It also sucked that they removed the co-operative mode that was in R2, which was one if the most unique modes I'd played.

I loved the tone of Resistance 3. It felt like a last hurrah of a dying, defeated humanity. I never really bought into their attempts at a grand theatre of war in the other games. Capelli felt like a downtrodden everyman who needed to do this not to save the world, but to save his family.

Resistance 2 is the GOAT, the coop, SP and MP where amazing.

Yeah, I loved the co-op. It was a ton of fun. I enjoyed the campaign as well, but on balance it was the weakest of the three IMO.

Elena ran in to save him but got hit by a jetski. The impact caused Elena's head to be removed and thrown from her body. The trajectory? It hit Cassie knocking her out putting her in a 10 year coma plus amnesia. The story begins with Cassie relearning how to use a toilet.

This sounds like something David Cage would write.

Shu Yoshida just mentioned on stream that he has 97% trophy completion for Days Gone.

Would this be his first platinum? I remember him saying ages ago that he didn't have one and he was trying to attain one fairly.

I've got some 1st Party platinums in this gen too.

Infamous Second Sun / Infamous Fisrt Light / Heavy Rain Remastered / Ratchet & Clank / Until Dawn / Horizon Zero Dawn / Uncharted Remastered / Uncharted 2 Remastered / Uncharted 3 Remastered / Uncharted 4 / Uncharted The Lost Legacy / The Last Of Us Remastered / Shadow Of The Colossus Remake / Tearaway Unfolded / Driveclub / The Order / God Of War / Spider-Man / Days Gone.

I need to start playing Bloodborne again, I tried to play for a few hours but I did not like it at all. I'll try harder sometime in the future. Several people said it could take a while to get the hang of it.

I think I've got about 14 Platinums:

Uncharted 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Demon's Souls
Jak & Daxter
Dragon's Dogma
The Walking Dead
A Wolf Among Us
Super Exploding Zoo
Resistance: Burning Skies (just by completing the game normally you get about 80% of trophies)
Tales from the Borderlands
Tearaway
Gravity Rush Remastered
Spider-Man
Bloodborne
Tacoma
Lara Croft Go

I think that's all of them. I'm close on a bunch of others but honestly unlikely to go back to finish any of the up. I wanted Horizon and God of War, but the last things are mostly collectibles which I can't be bothered going back for.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I know I'm late, but the slide mentioning PS4 being the main driver of profitability for the next 3 years has me excited now about what PS5 actually is. It might be a savage beast.
Yeah Sony might give us a $500 machine that's plenty capable. If selling as many hardware units as possible isn't the goal then releasing it at that price point should be doable. Then 2 years inthey can release it to more mass market prices.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
You people forget that FY19 ends March 2020, so it doesnt matter whether TLOU2 is a late 2019 or early 2020 game. The question is, will DS launch in FY19?
Also, Horizon launched in february 2017, so it's a FY 2016 (!) title.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Yeah Sony might give us a $500 machine that's plenty capable. If selling as many hardware units as possible isn't the goal then releasing it at that price point should be doable. Then 2 years inthey can release it to more mass market prices.
They are talking about profitability, not revenue. Them saying that ps4 will be the main profit source means, they will be selling the PS5 at a loss (which is obvious looking at previous generations).
So it's the exact opposite to your assumption: the goal might be to sell as many ps5 as possible. But the more they sell, the bigger the loss, so ps4 has to bring in the profit.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm is a future Uncharted without Nathan Drake the same as a Tomb Raider without Lara Croft? (Not talking about expansions and spinoffs of course but mainline series.)
469.gif

Well it doesn't matter either way since Sony shouldn't be wasting their time with this debacle, they should use the said effort to fund a new Ape Escape instead.
tumblr_ojj838u8qf1v6pzwto1_400.gif

Last edited:

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
They are talking about profitability, not revenue. Them saying that ps4 will be the main profit source means, they will be selling the PS5 at a loss (which is obvious looking at previous generations).
So it's the exact opposite to your assumption: the goal might be to sell as many ps5 as possible. But the more they sell, the bigger the loss, so ps4 has to bring in the profit.

I would also assume making games that cost the same or more as their first party PS4 games but now for an addressable install base of 5 million for the first while is going to be a drop in ROI.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
You people forget that FY19 ends March 2020, so it doesnt matter whether TLOU2 is a late 2019 or early 2020 game. The question is, will DS launch in FY19?
Also, Horizon launched in february 2017, so it's a FY 2016 (!) title.
Yeah and thanks to Horizon, Gaming segment had the best Q4 profits ever (before Q4 2018)

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
ayo since when the fuck have fromsoft been passionate about multiplayer? they had 5 games using the same dumb shitty online mechanics and they couldn't even get it to work right. thank god they removed it from sekiro, shit was awful

couldn't even fix it with dark souls 3 goddamn 😂😂😩

Lol careful you're gonna set off the From Software fans.

Last time I criticised their crappy multiplayer system I got piled on for not having the brains to comprehend just how unique it was and how much better it was than any modern, functional system.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
True, but Sony is not doing another 2008 PS3 situation. If PS5 is sold at a loss it will be quickly made back with a game or PS+ subscription and it will not stay that way for a majority of the gen. This ain't old Sony trying to trojan horse PS5 into everyone's living room hoping to capitalize on something else. PS4 profits will help it out, but PS5 needs to be a money making hardware suite and fast.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
From the April NPD thread:
Thanks to the NPD Group and Mat Piscatella for the breakdown. Note. This NPD report only covers the U.S. Video Games Market.

Software (All notes refer to dollar sales)

Days Gone was the 2nd best-selling game of April, with debut month sales that rank as the 7th highest in history for a Sony-published title. After just one month in market, Days Gone is the best-selling game produced by Sony Bend Studio in lifetime revenues.

MLB The Show 19 ranks as the third best-selling game of April and is now the 10th best-selling game of 2019. It is also the best-selling sports title of 2019 year-to-date. MLB The Show 19 remains the best-selling game in franchise history on a time-aligned basis.

Software Rankings

Top 20 best selling titles (March 2019) - Includes Physical and Digital sales
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. MLB 19: The Show
  4. Tom Clancy's The Division 2^
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice^
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Yoshi's Crafted World*
  11. Red Dead Redemption II
  12. Mario Kart 8*
  13. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  14. Minecraft#
  15. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  16. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  18. Jump Force
  19. Battlefield V*
  20. Borderlands
* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included
# Minecraft digital sales on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One included

Top 10 best selling titles (Year to Date 2019)
  1. Kingdom Hearts III
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Tom Clancy's The Division 2^
  4. Anthem^
  5. Resident Evil 2 2019
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice^
  9. Jump Force
  10. MLB 19: The Show
Top 10 PS4 titles (April 2019)
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. MLB 19: The Show
  4. Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  7. NBA 2K19
  8. Red Dead Redemption II
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Marvel's Spider-Man

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I repost this here and I just add the 10th to have a top 10
Even if now, ranking are dollar based, given the rest of the Sony's chart in US, Days Gone is up here among the best seller

Game (Days of tracking) : Sales
  1. Spiderman (23 days) : > 2.6 million (incl. digital)
  2. God of War (16 days) : ~1.9 million. (incl. digital + bundles)
  3. God of War 3 (19 days) : 1.15 million
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn (33 days) : > 1 million (incl. digital) more than U4 / 648k physical alone
  5. The Last of Us (24 days) : 985k physical (> 1 million incl. digital)
  6. Uncharted 4 (19 days) : 828k physical / 879k (incl. bundles) / > 1m (incl. digital)
  7. Days Gone (9 days)
  8. God of War 2 (26 days) : 833k
  9. Uncharted 3 (28 days) : 700k / 838k (incl. bundles)
  10. God of War Ascension (26 days) : 570k / > 600k (incl. bundles)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Even if now, ranking are dollar based, given the rest of the Sony's chart in US, Days Gone is up here among the best seller

4. Horizon Zero Dawn (33 days) : > 1 million (incl. digital) more than U4 / 648k physical alone
  6. Uncharted 4 (19 days) : 828k physical / 879k (incl. bundles) / > 1m (incl. digital)
  7. Days Gone (9 days)
Bend make room. Ya own mo cap studio is coming

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
UC5 - opening cinematic
Opens with Nate, Elena, Cassie (now 20), Sam, Chloe & Nadine, & Cutter at Sully's funeral/cremation/whatever + some other guests.
Comments made by officiating person (maybe religious person, maybe not) about how despite his adventuring past, Sully died peacefully at home etc
Among the other guests there is a mysterious young man, of a similar age to Cassie.
After the casket is lowered and the party breaks up, the young man approaches Nate and introduces himself as Sully's great-nephew.
'I need to speak to you, Mr Drake. About something my great-Uncle sent me 2 weeks before he died.'
Hands Nate a letter, already opened.
Nate scans the letter, and his expression turns from sad to grim. A dull glint of platinum shines out of the letter, and Nate turns to Elena & co and says
"Sully's death might not have been as peaceful as we thought.'
Questions buzz from the crew, and Nate answers with a single word:
'Marlowe'

Nov 8, 2017

7. Days Gone (9 days)

It's always nice to see a game you love do so well commercially. To do this after only 9 days is amazing. I'm so happy for Bend and I'm excited to see what they do with an even bigger budget, more devs and much better hardware.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bend make room. Ya own mo cap studio is coming

Do they actually want that? Bend, Oregon is a pretty remote place for a top of the line mocap studio. It's remote from both talent pools and the opportunity to be used by other studios. Then again, even though Bend real estate is a bit inflated, it's probably pennies on the dollar compared to SF/LA so having it idle isn't such a huge burden.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
How much do we reckon it sold by now?
Days Gone? My guess for the US launch sales (in 9 days): something between 850k and 865k units. Right now? Given the sales data of the other countries, something between 2.5M and 3.5M units for the 1st month sales WW (maybe a bit less than Horizon 1st month sales).

EDIT: Just found out that Horizon sold 2.6M units after 2 weeks, 3.4M after 2 months. So I wouldn't be surprised if Days Gone reached similar numbers.

Last edited:

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone? My guess for the US launch sales (in 9 days): something between 850k and 865k units. Right now? Given the sales data of the other countries, something between 2.5M and 3.5M units for the 1st month sales (maybe a bit less than Horizon 1st month sales).

Yeah Days Gone. I wonder if it will have the so called "legs" like Horizon did.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Do they actually want that? Bend, Oregon is a pretty remote place for a top of the line mocap studio. It's remote from both talent pools and the opportunity to be used by other studios. Then again, even though Bend real estate is a bit inflated, it's probably pennies on the dollar compared to SF/LA so having it idle isn't such a huge burden.

I think it would be fair with them. Especially for being a studio far apart from all others. Sucker Punch has a similar situation and has its own mocap studio.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what do yall think of the 5.6 million active remote player users?

While not being a regular user of it, it serves me punctually and it's good to see it mentioned for the futur. Remote Play and Share Play transform your console into a tiny data center or a gaming NAS, for local and distant streaming,

It works well in both case, but it's also highly dependent of your home network setup and environment or eventually of your broadband provider. That's why you can read so contrasted opinion about streaming in general, not necessarily only the Playstation one.

Last edited:

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
The legs of Horizon was fueled mostly by the critical acclaimed it received and the discount it got 4 months after its release.

Yeah. But I suppose you could say that many players may wait on a price cut or sales before jumping on Days Gone because of the negative reception it got from reviewers, but quite positive from the "actual players". Hopefully it does well ultimately.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Yeah. But I suppose you could say that many players may wait on a price cut or sales before jumping on Days Gone because of the negative reception it got from reviewers, but quite positive from the "actual players". Hopefully it does well ultimately.
For it to reach the 7th position among Sony's other big hitters is quite impressive in its own given its average critical reception. Let's wait and see for now. Its great word of mouth will surely help it in the long run.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to the NPD Group and Mat Piscatella for the breakdown. Note. This NPD report only covers the U.S. Video Games Market.
Software (All notes refer to dollar sales)

Days Gone was the 2nd best-selling game of April, with debut month sales that rank as the 7th highest in history for a Sony-published title. After just one month in market, Days Gone is the best-selling game produced by Sony Bend Studio in lifetime revenues.

MLB The Show 19 ranks as the third best-selling game of April and is now the 10th best-selling game of 2019. It is also the best-selling sports title of 2019 year-to-date. MLB The Show 19 remains the best-selling game in franchise history on a time-aligned basis.
Huge sales for Days Gone. I knew it :D Congrats Bend Studio. Well deserved success. Can't wait to see Days Gone 2 on the PS5.
And MLB The Show keeps being on of Sony's best franchises. Best sports franchise out there.
To add some info of kowalski's post

7. Days Gone (9 days)
So yeah, really great success for Bend and Days Gone
So Days Gone over 833k (retail only) in just 9 days? 7th highest launch in history for a Sony-published title in the US? After just 9 days in the market? Amazing!

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
In a interview, they said that if Days Gone do well, they will have their own mocap studio (instead of using Santa Monica's one which is located more than 850 miles / 1350 km)

Huge sales for Days Gone. I knew it :D Congrats Bend Studio. Well deserved success. Can't wait to see Days Gone 2 on the PS5.
And MLB The Show keeps being on of Sony's best franchises. Best sports franchise out there.
So Days Gone over 833k (retail only) in just 9 days? 7th highest launch in history for a Sony-published title in the US? After just 9 days in the market? Amazing!
Ranking is dollar based now, so we can't say exactly the number, but if it's the #7 launch in Sony's history, we could say 800k+ (incl. digital) for the 9 days tracked

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ranking is dollar based now, so we can't say exactly the number, but if it's the #7 launch in Sony's history, we could say 800k+ (incl. digital) for the 9 days tracked
Yeah, I know :) I compared it with other 1st party Sony sales and it looks like it's an estimated ~850k. Way more than I expected :D

Status
Not open for further replies.