• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You're legit, i know that. But you never had a problem naming the Studios Microsoft was talking to or considering. Why didn't you ever name the studio that worked with Sony for a bit? To make Monday interesting? Always came across as a console war tweet for me. Something like "Look, Microsoft snatched a great studio from Sony but i won't tell you which one. Take a guess!"
Ugh, no, I'm really not into console war. I just focus on XGS with my reports. I love playing games on literally all platforms though.

I don't name drop anymore. Just a personal decision.

Saying it again though: I haven't had an update on this for months, so this might very well have failed. I simply can't tell, sorry.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Bruh, I'm bout to acquire you.
520018467521560594.png

Next time have the balls to tag me when you negatively talk about me :)

I never said MS will acquire them. I said they are in talks. And this point still stands, though my last update on this was many months ago and I don't know anything about further negotiations. I'm not the type of guy who only talks about "done" stuff, see Obsidian Entertainment or Playground Games (or yes, Typhoon on the other hand). It's not my fault you only see these situations binary. That's not how this business works.

So chill. And let me be the squirrel.

I'm kinda sure this thread has a few good things to talk about in the next few months/years ahead.
tenor.gif

Talk yo shit Klob

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
While i'm not sure who'd they get to develop it, I hope Sony's willing to take another jab at the racing genre outside of GT next gen. While I really like Driveclub, I hope it steers away from being too simcade-ish and more into a full arcade experience, or at least something like Hot Pursuit 2010. I know it's a genre that's kinda limping along right now, but it's also at times been one of the most popular genres in the industry. So it's not like it's going to fade forever. GT gives them the sim racing market, so they don't need something that's going to be similar to it. And while I do like Wipeout, it seems like it'd be smart to make a game where assets could be shared between Polyphony and whichever studio makes the other racing game.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
i hope the San Diego Studio will get a shot in the future to work on something else besides the MLB Games. As great as they are, i just don't care about that sport and hardly anyone does here in Germany. So they are the only Studio that completely pass by me with their games.

Apart from that it would be nice to let another Studio work on a Gran Turismo Spinn-Off (like Forza Horizon)
We got one single Gran Turismo Game in the whole generation. It wouldn't hurt to have to two teams working with this Franchise.

Didn't someone from the studio implied they were working on something else other than The Show

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
i hope the San Diego Studio will get a shot in the future to work on something else besides the MLB Games. As great as they are, i just don't care about that sport and hardly anyone does here in Germany. So they are the only Studio that completely pass by me with their games.

Apart from that it would be nice to let another Studio work on a Gran Turismo Spinn-Off (like Forza Horizon)
We got one single Gran Turismo Game in the whole generation. It wouldn't hurt to have to two teams working with this Franchise.
Hopefully an expansion of the team would mean working on multiple projects instead of just MLB. I mean its not like its wasted, they are making bunch of money off the franchise.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's start talking about 1st party games. We actually have 1st party games to talk about ;)

While i'm not sure who'd they get to develop it, I hope Sony's willing to take another jab at the racing genre outside of GT next gen. While I really like Driveclub, I hope it steers away from being too simcade-ish and more into a full arcade experience, or at least something like Hot Pursuit 2010. I know it's a genre that's kinda limping along right now, but it's also at times been one of the most popular genres in the industry. So it's not like it's going to fade forever. GT gives them the sim racing market, so they don't need something that's going to be similar to it. And while I do like Wipeout, it seems like it'd be smart to make a game where assets could be shared between Polyphony and whichever studio makes the other racing game.
Sony already has some great racing IPs. Wipeout (like you already said), Destruction Derby, Rollcage, or Motorstorm.
In my opinion it's time for another Rollcage.

Or give me a sequel to Sony Santa Monica's Kinetica:

I love Kinetica. And the soundtrack is awesome. You don't need a huge dev team for a good arcade racing game.
So let's go SSM ;)

Last edited:

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to take a wild guess, funding for Death Stranding probably cost more than all the MS acquisitions combined.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Who owns the rights to Rollcage? I have no idea, but the world needs a new Rollcage.

Grip? Never heard of it.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Sincere question: Do we think Manchester will release anything before the PS5 launches?
I don't know. If Sony launch a PlayStation VR 2 (with exclusives) with PlayStation 5, probably not. But if every PS5 VR game works also with first PlayStation VR (and PSVR2 is just a wireless headset with a better resolution), i think Sony will release Sony Manchester game when it is ready, even if it is three months before PlayStation 5 launch.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

maybe San Diego Studio could try out their own Racing Game. Seems Far Fetched, but they are specialized with Sports Games (Kart Racers aswell) - maybe out of all the First Party Studio, they would be the best suited. Obviously they would need to hire some experienced Devs.

Didn't someone from the studio implied they were working on something else other than The Show

i remember that aswell, but i just don't know where i heard or read it. When i search on Google, all the results lead me to the new San Diego Studio

Hopefully an expansion of the team would mean working on multiple projects instead of just MLB. I mean its not like its wasted, they are making bunch of money off the franchise.

Yeah exactly. They are doing great with the MLB Games, but it doesn't change the fact, that its a sport mainly interesting for the US Market and having most of their sales over there. Here in Germany you even have to import the games, since there is official retail release

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who owns the rights to Rollcage? I have no idea, but the world needs a new Rollcage.
=
Sony already has some great racing IPs. Wipeout (like you already said), Destruction Derby, Rollcage, or Motorstorm.
In my opinion it's time for another Rollcage.

Or give me a sequel to Sony Santa Monica's Kinetica:

I love Kinetica. And the soundtrack is awesome. You don't need a huge dev team for a good arcade racing game.
So let's go SSM ;)

:D
Sincere question: Do we think Manchester will release anything before the PS5 launches?
I have a feeling it's gonna be a PS5/PSVR2 launch title.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Here's a few more details about the unannounced AAA game that Housemarque are currently working on (that appears to be a PS4/PS5 exclusive).

From their careers page, we know that it's an original IP:

Screenshot_2019-05-23_at_13.08.40.png

Harry Krueger is the Game Director of the game. From his Twitter bio:
Currently working on our top-secret AAA game: our biggest and most ambitious title to date. Keep the arcade spirit alive!

This tweet from Shu has him the picture, and is also tagged (he's the guy to the very right, the one next to him is the CEO):

This interview from last month has a few more details about the game:
  • AAA
  • Story is an important aspect of the game so they've naturally hired a narrative designer and writer
  • Learning new tech/skills in the process
  • They started pre-production on it a couple of years ago
  • They had 60 people working on it at the time (1 month ago) which is x2 or x3 more than previous games
  • They can hopefully talk about it a year from now (So maybe during a PS5 game reveal event)
  • Gameplay is still core for them, so explosions and visual effects will still be present

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
AAA Housemarque title on PS5 at launch.

Makes sense as they had Super Stardust HD on PS3s launch and Resogun for PS4s launch.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Here's a few more details about the unannounced AAA game that Housemarque are currently working on (that appears to be a PS4/PS5 exclusive).

This tweet from Shu has him the picture, and is also tagged (he's the guy to the very right, the one next to him is the CEO):

• AAA
  • Story is an important aspect of the game so they've naturally hired a narrative designer and writer
  • They had 60 people working on it at the time (1 month ago) which is x2 or x3 more than previous games
  • They can hopefully talk about it a year from now (So maybe during a PS5 game reveal event)
  • Gameplay is still core for them, so explosions and visual effects will still be present

Make a thread.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I like The Order 1886 alot, but to make it viable in todays market they would either have to add some form of multiplayer/co-op, or more likely, completely overhaul the fundamental design of the game to make much more open/explorable areas and/or add rpg/progression elements to the game.

A 8 hour ultra linear single player only game at $60 isnt viable in todays market, Wolfenstein 2 wasnt able to do it even with a 90 opencritic score, and The Order is in the 60s.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Next time have the balls to tag me when you negatively talk about me :)

I never said MS will acquire them. I said they are in talks. And this point still stands, though my last update on this was many months ago and I don't know anything about further negotiations. I'm not the type of guy who only talks about "done" stuff, see Obsidian Entertainment or Playground Games (or yes, Typhoon on the other hand). It's not my fault you only see these situations binary. That's not how this business works.

So chill. And let me be the squirrel.

I'm kinda sure this thread has a few good things to talk about in the next few months/years ahead.

Do you have information exclusively relating to Microsoft studios or does that extend to Sony too?

Seems like they are talking openly about acquisitions but no whispers yet.

Oct 30, 2017

This sounds really interesting. I like Housemarque. Resogun was brilliant.

I just hope they have a better art direction for their next project. Their last few games were overly sterile and had generic art design/direction.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Come on Shu, take a picture with Arrowhead team. I want a confirmation that their next game is with Sony.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do you have information exclusively relating to Microsoft studios or does that extend to Sony too?

Seems like they are talking openly about acquisitions but no whispers yet.
I don't have any info on WWS, sorry. Simply not my area.

And yes, Sony openly talked about the possibility of acquisitions / organic growth. I guess we'll see some movement here on the road to PS5 launch.

Oct 25, 2017

• AAA

Excellent! Thanks for the info, Toumari! This definitely sounds like it's gonna be revealed at E3 2020 (if they still do E3) as a PS5 exclusive.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, might as well make a thread about studio acquisition because people seems to interested in talking about that instead of games.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
From the hires at the new San Diego based studio and it's position inside VASG it could be a new Uncharted that's more of a straight cinematic adventure game than 'action adventure' and features only melee combat. (Which means a new protagonist.) Couldn't it?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The unknown is pretty exciting we are all ready seeing new partnerships with the Iron Man VR game and Predator game.

Status
Not open for further replies.