• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Interesting :)
But imo there is more than enough announced for the PS4 and I hope most unannounced games will be PS5 only.

Well Sony has really neglected making family friendly games compared to past efforts. Lets take a look at what they have released on PS4

Knack (2013) - A launch titled that sold well based on there being not much available

LittleBigPlanet 3 (2014) - Cross-gen game and it sold a lot across both PlayStation consoles

Tearaway Unfolded (2015) - An enhanced Vita port that next to no one bought

Ratchet & Clank (2016) - A very successful remake and one of the PS4´s best games

Knack II (2017) - A sequel that no one asked for and went mostly overlooked

Astrobot (2018) - Amazing game but tied to PSVR which only a few million PS4 users can play

The PS4 has been very successful with such weak focus on that demographic, so I suspect that the unannounced are going to try and strengthen the PS4´s appeal in that area because there is a lot of untapped potential.

You know what? These 2 seem like really safe bets.

LittleBigPlanet: We got a couple of "leaks" about a new game in the series. Whether or not those were trustworthy is another matter, but I believe LBP is a franchise that still can work its magic even with Media Molecule working hard to get Dreams out there.

Sly Cooper: Sony has a TV series lined up to launch this October and continue on in July 2020. It would make perfect sense to have a studio like Sanzaru create a tie-in, lIke how we saw with Ratchet & Clank 2016.

Well I havent heard anything about LBP leaks, but they acknowledge the 10th anniversary recently so I think that was a good sign they were going to continue the franchise. And Sanzaru Games has a ¨secret project¨ which makes me believe its a new Sly that they cant talk about yet

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This post also kinda proves my point. That's 3 games in 2018 he named. Sony published more than that in 2018 and you don't even acknowledge them because they're not sales bangers, but they're quality titles.

Tetris Effect, Shadow of the Colossus, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, Moss, etc. Some of these are VR games and yes, I would just put those on there too.

Adding the 4 games you listed, wouldn't it just prove my point even more than what it already is? LOL.

I compared Microsoft's BIG THREE with Sony's BIG THREE for 2018. Adding those other games is just making it go from a thrashing to a fucking thrashing. LMAO.

Oct 25, 2017
This is awkward considering Sony has a Game Pass equivalent and they will continue moving forward continue to think about better ways to create and launch content around it as they try to increase revenues from it.
I'm talking about something that is basically the same as Game Pass with MS now. Sony does not launch their new first party games on PS Now.

My original point was that Sony doesn't need to do that either. They can launch their games traditionally and have them perform just fine.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Sony will never put their AAA releases on day 1 in PS Now. But I can see some smaller games (from 1st and 3rd Party) doing that. Games like Drawn To Death, Alienation, Bound and Vane could have benefited from that. Sony also has a good partnership with many developers... Imagine that they make some deal with Super Massive to put The Dark Pictures episodes straight into the service.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Unless Sony incorporate online into their games and make them more GaaS orientated then I doubt it.

Things like Spider-Man & God of War would make less money thanks to being on PS Now day 1, they sell too much to consider it.

But if game pass really does take off in a huge way and MS show that first party offerings must be there day 1 then Sony will surely follow, willingly or not.

If Gamepass is so successful than Sony single player AAA games is not a viable strategy they will disseapear or Sony will add online and GAAS element everywhere.

Hollywood movies don't appear day one on Netflix, it is the same for Sony AAA single player game on PSNow.

Microsoft bought AA studios for a reason and they have only big franchise with big online and GAAS components.

Edit: After Sony can complement the Hollywood blockbuster strategy launching later on PSNow with AA games and GAAS games and launch them day one on PSNow or a new services they will create for example.

Edit2: I don't believe big single player AAA will disseapear like Holywood movies continue to exist, they will coexist.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sony will never put their AAA releases on day 1 in PS Now. But I can see some smaller games (from 1st and 3rd Party) doing that. Games like Drawn To Death, Alienation, Bound and Vane could have benefited from that. Sony also has a good partnership with many developers... Imagine that they make some deal with Super Massive to put The Dark Pictures episodes straight into the service.

That's what I think they should do. Games like Concrete Genie and old titles (Horizon, TLG, GT Sport, Ratchet & Clank could already be there)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I feel like sony are in a good position for a 499$ launch, especially if we are talking about a spring launch.
You can get the hardcore gamers before MS will be able to.
You can get semi hardcore gamers as cyberpunk is expected to release around that time, and they would like to experience it with next gen quality.
You can get core sony fans with improved ps4 exclusive games and showcasing upcoming beautiful next gen exclusive games.
You can have a lot of stock in the holidays and still have consoles when the xbox runs out.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Making a 499$ console to get more power is a mistake. Price will trump Power always.
Just look at the Switch, it can barely run PS3 games, and it's killing it.
Meanwhile the X never won a single NPD since it came out.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
A $449 price tag can be interesting. Even more so if the next powerful Xbox is 499. The option to be able to buy a console + a game/controller at almost the same price can weigh in a choice.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much confidence i would have in a $499 console, typically you look at inflation and it wouldn't be crazy but that doesn't really matter when wages have been stagnant in the US for nearly 2 decades, and were due for another recession in the PS5's lifecycle.

But at the same time, you don't want to make an under powered console that causes you to lose users to PC later in the consoles life cycle (We saw this with PS3/360 post 2010 and i believe its one of the reasons they made the PS4 Pro/XB1X), but if the base consoles are just fundamentally weak those upgraded consoles likely wouldn't solve the issue.

But then you wonder if selling tens of millions of PS5s right out of the gate is really essential considering how successful the PS4 has been and the much more natural and seamless transition we're likely to get in comparison to previous generations.

It will be interesting to see to say the least.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Can't wait till PS5 starts leaking!
A bit off topic but I totally get why people in here would be skittish about Sony putting all their published games on a subscription service day and date (of course the option to just buy games individually will always exist). But I find the theory that games on these services would automatically demand that they have to conform to the gaas route or online only a bit misguided, and I believe we'll see that in years to come. MS buying a bunch of mostly single player studios in the hopes of them making killer service-y games would be horrible management, square pegs round holes and all. I really don't think that's what they're going for.
I don't know how much confidence i would have in a $499 console, typically you look at inflation and it wouldn't be crazy but that doesn't really matter when wages have been stagnant in the US for nearly 2 decades, and were due for another recession in the PS5's lifecycle.

But at the same time, you don't want to make an under powered console that causes you to lose users to PC later in the consoles life cycle (We saw this with PS3/360 post 2010 and i believe its one of the reasons they made the PS4 Pro/XB1X), but if the base consoles are just fundamentally weak those upgraded consoles likely wouldn't solve the issue.

But then you wonder if selling tens of millions of PS5s right out of the gate is really essential considering how successful the PS4 has been and the much more natural and seamless transition we're likely to get in comparison to previous generations.

It will be interesting to see to say the least.
I see them going about $400 personally. They've found a sweet spot that works for them. It'll be interesting, to be sure. Wouldn't mind $500 one bit though.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait till PS5 starts leaking!
A bit off topic but I totally get why people in here would be skittish about Sony putting all their published games on a subscription service day and date (of course the option to just buy games individually will always exist). But I find the theory that games on these services would automatically demand that they have to conform to the gaas route or online only a bit misguided, and I believe we'll see that in years to come. MS buying a bunch of mostly single player studios in the hopes of them making killer service-y games would be horrible management, square pegs round holes and all. I really don't think that's what they're going for.

I see them going about $400 personally. They've found a sweet spot that works for them. It'll be interesting, to be sure. Wouldn't mind $500 one bit though.

Yeah, personally i would want the strongest console, but i also want it to be successful so i don't really mind either way.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
$499.99 launch is just wishful thinking on our part, as enthusiasts that want Sony to make as beefy as a console as posssible. They'll stick to the $399.99 sales model, it's worked wonders for them with PS4.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Well I havent heard anything about LBP leaks
There was that "speculative" Rabbidpeach post that talked about PS5, new games, PS Classic (but has some conflicting info thus far), plus the Reddit post (which now that I've looked more into it, was actually discounted by Zhuge).

SilverX, I honestly cannot wait for a new Sly and the opportunity seems too perfect to skip over. Thieves in Time was great.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping the success of the Crash/Spyro remakes will inspire some 3D platformers to come back, the genre seemed to just go away for a while.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know why, but it's hard for me to imagine cerny playing video games, let alone getting platinum for it.

Whenever I see him talk, I feel like he should be working at NASA or something.
The trophies just unlock as the game system knows who it's daddy is. He envisions the ending and then gets the Platinum. Hail Cerny

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched Phil Spencers interview with Major nelson his point about not having to "copy" anyone else in terms of games is really interesting. Obviously nobody is waiting for carbon copies of Sony/Nintendo exclusives. I think he's laying the groundwork for a completely different output than we might have expected.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I thought it was cool to see that, they're trying to make that mean something. Like whenever you see "Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents" you know your eyes are about to melt.

Part of the reason my faith in Days Gone, a much maligned game on certain sections of the gaming interwebs, is at an all time high.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's go back on topic and talk about actual good 1st party studios and games.

TNW wrote a nice piece about Guerrilla:

Last edited:

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched Phil Spencers interview with Major nelson his point about not having to "copy" anyone else in terms of games is really interesting. Obviously nobody is waiting for carbon copies of Sony/Nintendo exclusives. I think he's laying the groundwork for a completely different output than we might have expected.

I thought it was pretty clear they're doubling down on MP / GAAS games. Titles that encourage you to stay subbed into Games Pass.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Will never happen, not feasible with Sony's first party right now. Maybe release them on PS Now after a month though.
More a year or even more than a month. Unless they make a more expensive subscription to compensate. Because for SP games, pay 10 or 15 bucks for a monthly subscription, beat it, unsubscribe. It doesn't make sense.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
One thing which might make sense to launch on Day 1 on Now are the multiplayer components of games such as The Last of Us and Uncharted. Loss of sales for the actual game would be absolutely minimal, it would increase the MP's playerbase and microtransactions revenue and people who enjoy the MP might even get curious about the SP and go and buy the game.
But yeah, launching full games on Now on Day 1 makes no sense as long as all of Sony's titles are SP focused with a lot being SP only. Why the hell would you buy a game like God of War or Spider-Man when you can just get 1 month of Now and beat it that way for like 25% of the price?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hope the give Arrowhead Games another shot at a multiplayer game. As I've already mentioned, I'm a big fan of Helldivers.
Bigger team, bigger budget, PS5... <3
And I think WiLD got TLG'd. Gonna be a PS5 game, is my guess.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The discussion about launching Day 1 in PSNow always side steps one huge factor imo. Third party. Has anyone noticed that the heavy hitters and publishers with confidence in the ip stay clear of now and GP? Why? Well I'm going to make a guess here and say that they don't want to give access to their games for $1 via promo? They're motivated by profit and so the fact that they wont go near the service, in terms of new games, should speak volumes.

So I don't understand the push for Sony to add their exclusives to Now Day 1? Especially when, in their weakest territory (NA in terms of ratio) their exclusives are competing with multiplats for best selling of the year. And, their partnerships are breaking records from COD to MHW to RDR2? Wouldn't they be missing out a ton of profit just from royalties alone? Let alone their actual profitable contributions to gaming?

It's a weird notion to me.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming the usual 2-3 major first-party launch games for PS5: are we expecting Guerilla and SIE Japan again to lead the launch? What else might be there?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Assuming the usual 2-3 major first-party launch games for PS5: are we expecting Guerilla and SIE Japan again to lead the launch? What else might be there?
Imo, it has to be a launch game that is aimed towards hardcore, not a potential multi-million seller, since hardware constraints won't allow to sell enough, and a bigger game later during launch window.
For example a Bloodborne sequel at launch or very close, and either a new ip that can profit from early gen lack of content, like GoT or even Death Stranding or a mid sized ip or a reboot,:Syphon Filter , Warhawk, for example or something like Infamous.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Sony is going to force any first party devs to rush out launch games the way they did with shadowfall and knack.

If the games are ready then thats great, if not let the 3rd party games take the lead until the first party stuff ia ready.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Sony is going to force any first party devs to rush out launch games the way they did with shadowfall and knack. If the games are ready then thats great, if not let the 3rd party games take the lead until the first party stuff ia ready.

I mean SIE studios / SIE funded studios get the dev kits first. They should have games done before anyone. They don't necessarily have to be the AAA kind for launch though.

Dabi3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think Guerrilla is a safe bet for Horizon 2. I would think they need a heavy-hitter to match up with the Halo Infinite X Scarlett launch combo. They got off to a slow start in terms of quality first-party output this gen. I'm not sure they can get away with that again.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if it has been reported here but Kojima showed the first 2 hours of Death Stranding, when he visited Guerrilla

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
For launch games I am hoping for Horizon Zero Dawn 2 (maybe not on launch day but launch year), new Ratchet & Clank and Gran Turismo (as a re-release of GT Sport with all the updates that the game will have until then and of course PS5 enhanced).

For sure will have and cross gen games also. From known games Ghost of Tsushima most likely and probably any major announced PS4 game.

Dabi3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't acquire the likes of Ninja Theory and Obsidian only to then force them to make GaaS/MP games, but anyway.

Well yeah, of course you want to cover your bases but on the grander scale they're leaning towards games that engage over a long period of time.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Wow great news...2 more games plus devs happy with the dev kits.

I hope none of those are MLB or Manchester's VR game

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
For launch I would also like Bluepoint's new game. Sony is also killing that Spring window so Horizon 2 in April 2021 sounds about right. GoW2 in April 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.