• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
They're putting in the work to make it happen :)

Seriously, it's the best indirect lighting I have ever seen in a game.
Dfc_q2jXcAIbSZj.jpg

the-last-of-us-part-ii-brightened-feat.jpg

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Former Capcom Vancouver writer Ariadna Martinez has joined Guerilla.

zDWTY5J.png

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ariadnamartinez/?trk=seokp-title-professional-name

Their current writing team:
- John Gonzalez (narrative director)
- Ben McCaw (lead writer)
- Adam Dolin (writer, previously at SMS)
- Giles Armstrong (senior writer)
- Annie Kitain (writer)
- Ariadna Martinez (writer)

And they are still looking for another writer.

Looks like it is going to be a TW2>TW3 situation in terms of scope

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
Better side quests and side characters , new melee system, rideable Glinthawks or flying robots, unique robots/machines for boss battles in story or side quests are all I ask.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
One thing I really hope we'll see more of in Horizon 2 is more Ruins from the Old Ones. The first game didn't have much of them and those which were there had basically no use outside of you going there for a main quest. I'd love it if we got full buildings to explore on ourselves

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Some type of glide mechanic. I remember being bummed out at the end of Frozen Wilds because i was on top of this giant mountain and i couldn't just jump down like you can in alot of open world games.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
1 thing Horizon 2 must have no doubt: better wall climbing. Only being able to properly climb walls when they had those pre-determined paths suuuuucked

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, they didn't say they are done working with Sony. They exactly said: "We will continue to work on PlayStation, which is a platform we love and that we know very well. but we will also consider other platforms as we want to make our creations accessible to as many gamers as possible worldwide, regardless of the platform.

This is definitely a shift for us after 12 years developing exclusively for PlayStation. But at the same time we have developed engines on PC, Dreamcast, Xbox, PS2, PS3, PS4, and PS4 Pro. Thus, we are confident we can make a smooth transition while keeping the high level of quality that we target for our games.

We learned a lot working with PlayStation for so long, and we now want to bring these learning to other platforms."

So they can make multiplatform games and to release them everywhere, but they also can make some games for Sony, other ones for MS, or other ones for mobile, or to have console exclusivity PC+some console, etc.

I'd be very surprised if they will be given the same amount of time and money to do anything like Detroit, even if it is for multiple platforms.
1 thing Horizon 2 must have no doubt: better wall climbing. Only being able to properly climb walls when they had those pre-determined paths suuuuucked

I'm curious about this. Death stranding uses the same engine and Kojima has it in his game. I'd imagine the tech will be used in Horizon 2.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone for PS4 Rated MA 15+ in Australia

Days Gone is just a couple of months away from release now, so it makes sense that the game has been rated in Australia. Curiously, it has only received an MA 15+ rating from the Australian Ratings Board, meaning anybody over the age of 15 can buy and play Sony Bend's zombie survival game.

Elsewhere, Days Gone has been given the highest rating possible. Over on the UK PlayStation website, the game's listing notes that Days Gone is rated 18, while on the North American site it has been given the rating of M for mature. It's a touch odd that Australia, known for being extremely strict and picky about what's allowed in video games, would go for MA 15+ instead of the higher rating of R 18+, as other zombie-centric games in the past have been rated.
https://pureplaystation.com/days-gone-for-ps4-rated-ma-15-in-australia/2019/02/

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
My only concern with Horizon 2 is how they are gonna have as compelling a narrative since we know what happened to the old civilization, and uncovering that was one of the best parts of the game. I hope they deliver cause it's definitely my favorite new IP of this gen.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'll drop this here. A report from an institutional investor that held a meeting with Sony last year.

When asked about streaming, Sony discussed PlayStation Now, its cloud gaming service, which already provides low latency delivery. Although it is pleased with the service, which incorporates technology from the acquired assets of Gaikai and OnLive, it does not view it as a big part of its game business at present. It views streaming as more of a distribution play than a business model at present. It sees many predators circling its games strength at present, but believes that nobody has better technology than it does at present, a reflection of the billions of dollars that it has spent to differentiate the experience that it provides. In addition, Sony benefits from a walled garden of roughly 90 million monthly active users and PS4 consoles that should keep its competitors at bay for the time being. Over the past twelve months, almost 95% of Sony devices have communicated with its network, a reflection of the strong engagement of its user base.

Sony noted that the PlayStation platform remains heavily game-centric, and while there has been some takers for their music offering (for gamers wanting to listen to music while gaming), users coming to PlayStation for movies/TV content have been limited. It was noted that management will have to consider strategies for the business – whether to build it as a comprehensive entertainment platform, or as a comprehensive game platform – with an eye to developing subscription services and the user base. This is a key strategic question Sony is deciding currently...whether to build PSN as a comprehensive entertainment platform, or double down on games.

Regarding the struggling PS Vue business, Sony reiterated it was a supporter when the business was developed and launched, with a key attraction being the value of the data generated by viewers, rather than intrinsic profitability. Sony acknowledged that the sustainability of the business in the face of "power player" rivals must be a point of internal discussion. Sony Pictures management hinted at "interesting" plans for the business while acknowledging competitiveness of the space. Sony also wants to turn smartphone games into a cash cow business, and will continue efforts to ramp up SIE's investment in it.

Sony would not fully comment on whether the PS5 is in development, but did foresee a future for PlayStation beyond the PS4, which is on a ten-year cycle. It continues to believe that the PS4 can sell as many console units as the PS2 did over its lifetime, implying over 150 million units. Sony noted that they have yet to decide how much further to market the current console before launching a new console; the current G&NS targets exclude the impact of PS5. Sony has indicated that the timing of a PS5 has yet to be fully decided and has not yet been factored into Sony's three-year plan.

Sony views itself as having the largest developer network at present that is larger than those of Microsoft and Nintendo combined. Any future acquisitions are more likely to center on infrastructure and middleware than on individual developers. A primary goal is to extend the gamer population to the family. It sees a future for Sony's mobile titles in China. Finally, it believes that outside expectations for virtual reality may have been overinflated, and that new AAAs will be needed to jumpstart sales. Developers will need to see an installed base of over 5 million units to become believers in PlayStation VR, a threshold that it may come close to this year.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I wanted to ask your opinion.. Remember 2013, the PS4 announcement, PlayStation meeting.. seeing Driveclub there blew my mind because as a longtime Gran Turismo fan, I always felt Sony neglected the arcade racer front (considering they had the WRC, F1 licenses, but lacked a competitor to the Project Gotham Racing franchise last gen), so.. I had to ask, what are the odds we see a racer at PS5's announcement?
I read a thread here the other the day saying Driveclub has 10 million players, and given the positive reception to Forza Horizon, what's the chances Sony get a 1st party studio making an arcade racer in that vein?
Theres clearly a market for it.
Any studios you guys think could be working on a racer for nect gen? (Other than Polyphony).

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does an "infrastructure" acquisition look like?

Oct 25, 2017
Franchise eh? Interesting
Just saw that too o.O
I think it is safe to assume most new major IP will turn into a franchise assuming they can reach a certain level of success. There is far too much time and money put into these big games for them to be one and done.

I'll drop this here. A report from an institutional investor that held a meeting with Sony last year.
The part about deciding whether to double down on entertainment or games......Sony, please.

More uncertainty around when to go for the PS5 launch. Sounds like Fall 2020 to me!

The acquisitions part makes sense too. They need to strengthen their software and services more than their studios.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just to add. The note was published last year. So this was written before the acquisition linked above.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I wanted to ask your opinion.. Remember 2013, the PS4 announcement, PlayStation meeting.. seeing Driveclub there blew my mind because as a longtime Gran Turismo fan, I always felt Sony neglected the arcade racer front (considering they had the WRC, F1 licenses, but lacked a competitor to the Project Gotham Racing franchise last gen), so.. I had to ask, what are the odds we see a racer at PS5's announcement?
I read a thread here the other the day saying Driveclub has 10 million players, and given the positive reception to Forza Horizon, what's the chances Sony get a 1st party studio making an arcade racer in that vein?
Any studios you guys think could be working on a racer for nect gen? (Other than Polyphony).

Don't see Sony making a new racing game tbh.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They have GT, I doubt they will look for another studio to make a racing game for them, the market for these games is small.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is safe to assume most new major IP will turn into a franchise assuming they can reach a certain level of success. There is far too much time and money put into these big games for them to be one and done.

The part about deciding whether to double down on entertainment or games......Sony, please.

More uncertainty around when to go for the PS5 launch. Sounds like Fall 2020 to me!

The acquisitions part makes sense too. They need to strengthen their software and services more than their studios.
I think they mean should they keep the status quo like right now which has been fine for us or go harder on games which would be even better.

PSN is already like this with movie ,shows ,games and music.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Reminds of an article I read back in 2012 or so, that Sony doesn't want you saving for a "hypothetical" PS4. They want you investing in their current offerings and they won't even acknowledge the existence of a new console until the time is right. Opposite to MS who basically announced the next Xbox was in development potentially 2.5 years before launch.

I'm sure Sony wants Fall 2020 to be launch. But they don't even want you thinking about that right now.

Feb 10, 2018
I wonder what Naughty dog will do after TLOU2.
It is the whole of ND working on TLOU2, right.
Will we see a new I. P from them?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Personally couldn't care for their movie/music push on the store. I don't mind it being there as I can just ignore it, but I would much rather they just focus on doubling down on their gaming efforts than pushing entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.