• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most important value drivers in e-business is the lock-in effect of ecosystems. BC means you lose your whole digital library when you switch to a competitor. The switching costs increase as a result.

It's also guaranteed that the Xbox will have BC. If Sony doesn't have one, there will be a huge backlash. Sony won't want that at the start of the gen.

The PS5 is guaranteed to have BC.

Yeah, it really seems like a major slip up if there is no BC. You think anyone is that dumb enough not to do it? That's what worries me sometimes... lol

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My hot take, that is just luke warm:

- No The Last of Us Part II this year.
- No Ghost of Tsushima this year.
- No Death Stranding this year.
- Dreams will be out in September
- No PlayStation event whatsoever this year.
- No unannounced big first party game coming to PS4, even stated otherwise by people, things change.

I'd certainly say that expecting none of the "big three" exclusives as well as no event of any kind feels like a hot take to me! I'm expecting at least one of them, but no more than two of the big three exclusives to release this year. I also think we're very likely to see an event of some kind. Whether it be a combination PS4 sendoff/PS5 announcement, or just the former.

Last edited:

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- No unannounced big first party game coming to PS4, even stated otherwise by people, things change.
There is a 0% chance that NONE of those remaining big 3 games get released this year

At the least, one of them will come out. I'm honestly expecting 2 of the 3 (TLOU2 and GoT)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Disagree with Death Stranding as I see this as the September game. Disagree with Dreams as I believe it will be in June. I agree with the rest.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Me at the end of the year when this comes true
giphy.gif

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If Death Stranding gets built from the ground up in 3 years it would probably be the most impressive feat of this entire generation, New IPs this gen have been taking twice that long. Even if they're basically making a re-skinned MGSV it should still take alot longer than that. I wouldn't recommend getting your hopes up.

Oct 27, 2017
I've started playing The Order 1886 again. Apparently I don't have a cloud save for it so I've started from the beginning on Hard. I plan to clean everything up for the Platinum. I'm only about 90 minutes in, but it's surprisingly solid so far. The shooting mechanics are great and the level design good. I had many issues with it first time around but I've forgotten a lot of stuff in the intervening 4 years and going back in with low expectations, it feels like a solid game and I'm all the more saddened they never had a shot at a sequel.

I agree with most of this except I'm expecting Dreams to release a bit sooner than that and I also think Ghost of Tsushima will release this year. Or at least, that will be the intention but it could slip into early 2020.

Probably DLC for Detroit and their next game. Maybe also a PS5 tech demo if they are still working with Sony.

Didn't a job ad suggest their next game would be multiplatform?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Didn't a job ad suggest their next game would be multiplatform?
Not really. Just saying that they are seeking PC experience to improve their PC engine and tools, but their games are already developed on PCs and the first step before a new game is always to improve that side. So they might be third-party, but we have no real concrete evidence for it so far

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

I appreciate keeping expectations low but MAN that's really low. I think we have to hear something from Sony in 2019, especially with it being the 25th anniversary of the brand. I think Sony's gonna be low profile in that they'll host one event and that's it. That single event could be huge or something minor that hints at something big like the PS5. One of the big three has to release in 2019 and both The Last of Us and Death Stranding are wrestling for confirmation of a release this year. About the unannounced game on PS4, I'm alright with that, honestly. It's undeniable Sony's working on multiple unannounced projects, but it's difficult for me to imagine most or any of them are PS4 titles. If PS5 is an earlier 2020 release, then I'd say Sony will drop some minor exclusives and keep the big ones for the new console. If it's late, then we could see one more major game for PS4. The sentiment that's clear to me and to many is that something big is gonna drop this year and we're not really sure what it'll be. Is that unrealistic? Not really, but I'll be fine with nothing new from Sony as long as 2019 is an exciting year for exclusives.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
How big are they now? Plenty of these positions are just temporary right?

And whats going to happen with these people afterwards? They will get *fired* and ND will start hiring all over again when they will need the numbers for finishing up their next game?

Are these rotations so common in gaming studios? Is it any different in multiplatform studios?

I imagine folks like Ubisoft arent working with this model,.considering they employ like thousands of devs right? All of them are just on infinite cycle of heavy full production/pre production and polishing, right?

Then there are big studios lile ND, that cant employ 500.hundred people all the time and just hire them for last year of development or so?

Sounds like IT contracting on any large project.

*looks upthread* my god you people are fiending like methheads for info!

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

As long as Benji doesn't confirm that the PS4 version has been dropped, I will continue to believe that we will get an announcement of a major PS4 first party game.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Haha. Funny you should say that in a sense. I'm in the middle of writting out adesign doc for a hypothetical redo on the concept (and pulling my hair out to retain the super system but mitigate its shittyness in a few ways on top of fixing the 'no dmg' complaint XD)

When it comes to programming I'm mostly puttering around on the Sega Genesis, But Who knows. :p
No need to overcomplicate it, just make it a normal super move like any other fighting game that it deal more HP and more likely to kill opponent. Make it so people get multiple lives in a match if you don't want people to rely too much on super move, or whoever kill the most opponent win as the objectives.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
With Playstation Now, is there any information out there about what compensation is provided to studios or publishers who put their games on the service? Is it a percentage of the total pool that drops over time or do you think there's a flat amount that Sony pays to have a game on the service?
If it follow ps+ model, I think Sony paid a flat fee, and then additional fee on top of that depending on how many people actually download the games, not just "buying" the game.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
As long as Benji doesn't confirm that the PS4 version has been dropped, I will continue to believe that we will get an announcement of a major PS4 first party game.
Yeah and even if there's no announcement this year, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It could be planned as a cross-gen game to come out after the PS5 launch, like LBP3 in 2014.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seems like what will happen given the announcements laid out by Sony earlier. Although I thinks it's a mistake stopping their momentum but again that 'momentum' might be just my Era bubble

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I think last of us 2 is going to close off 2019 and then death stranding will be feburary or March of 2020.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure this might be old but I was listening to some of TLOU Part 2 music tracks on YT and noticed that in the description it says "Music from The Last of Us Part II (2019) published by Sony Interactive Entertainment." The video was uploaded in late Sep on the I guess official Playstation Music channel. Its most likely nothing but it seems weird that they just left it there when most of the comments on YT have pointed it out.

EDIT: Its most likely 100% nothing since the more recent video has this instead "Music from The Last of Us Part II (20??)"

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

I agree with all of these, minus the no event. I think they will do at least one

I would also add no reveals or announcements related to the PS5

I'm pretty sure this might be old but I was listening to some of TLOU Part 2 music tracks on YT and noticed that in the description it says "Music from The Last of Us Part II (2019) published by Sony Interactive Entertainment." The video was uploaded in late Sep on the I guess official Playstation Music channel. Its most likely nothing but it seems weird that they just left it there when most of the comments on YT have pointed it out.

EDIT: Its most likely 100% nothing since the more recent video has this instead "Music from The Last of Us Part II (20??)"

This was brought up in the past, but this doesn't seem to be an official channel

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with all of these, minus the no event. I think they will do at least one

I would also add no reveals or announcements related to the PS5
I thought Kenzodielocke was trolling...

No way they go through all of 2019 without releasing at least one of the big three. And yeah, they'll definitely host at least one event, even if it's just TGS (though I also don't think they'll go two years without a PSX).

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

No way they go through all of 2019 without releasing at least one of the big three. And yeah, they'll definitely host at least one event, even if it's just TGS (though I also don't think they'll go two years without a PSX).

PSX is also what I was thinking, and there they would do the first tease of next-gen by announcing at the end a PS Meeting for early 2020.

I honestly don't see any of the big three this year. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but since the PS4 isn't really on a position where they need these games to come out in 2019 so badly, they will use all the time they can and need to make sure this are incredible swan songs to the console in 2020.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's more of a mix of doom& gloom combined with lowered expectations.

I think that we will get at least 1 of the three big ones as well, and imo 2 even, on top of what is already announced (Dreams, Days Gone, Concrete Genie, and MLB).
A for events, Layden has already confirmed that they are looking into different formats, and that we would hear more from them in 2019...

Status
Not open for further replies.